Bitcoin and other crypto-The CR thread

GRHorn

1 hour ago, elfenix said:
On 11/22/2022 at 5:24 PM, Humble Beast said:
Another nice example of central planning gone wrong. 

"Not collapsing the economy was the wrong decision" is a spicy take

Collapsing the economy via mandatory shutdowns was the wrong decision. 

1 hour ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Oh so NOW the cryptobros want regulation?

The author isn’t a cryptobro.

Guess you didn’t read the article. 

37 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

image.png.c10ee663c0db52bd26627f5454a940ea.png

Good God, you’re one of the dumbest posters on this board. Bye. 

• Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, Humble Beast said:

Collapsing the economy via mandatory shutdowns was the wrong decision. 

the economy didn't collapse and the shutdowns were happening anyway as people decided to stay the fuck at home. 

without gov intervention we're at 25% unemployment for an extended period of time.  what do you think happens to the currency with that?  my neighbors are unemployed, every restaurant in the country failed, emergency rooms are overflowing, but at least the dollar is strong

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 3

22 hours ago, Humble Beast said:

Guess you didn’t read the article. 

Not all of it. Once I got to the part where “totally not a crypto bro” bro started writing about the lack of regulation (what you and the other crypto bros consider its primary benefit) being bad, some big ass logo for the site covered up the rest and honestly I lost interest because “Yeah, no fucking shit.”

15 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Gettin' sold
Second-hand
That's how it goes
Playin' in a band

you should have started with

Gettin' ripped off

These also apply:

Gettin' robbed
Gettin' stoned
Gettin' beat up
Broken-boned
Gettin' had
Gettin' took

Edited by TexasEd

17 minutes ago, elfenix said:

From the article:

Core to Abbott’s plan is the theory that the additional demand for energy created by new bitcoin-mining facilities will establish “an investment incentive” that brings new sources of power generation to Texas. Then, when energy demand goes through the roof during a heat wave or cold snap, the state will have more energy flowing through its grid and the option to redirect power as a last resort.

Shit in one hand and hope in the other...

And another excerpt: these fucks are making more money from turning their rigs off than they are from mining Bitcoin. Great job, Texas. 

Another way miners can turn a profit is by participating in ERCOT demand response programs, which for years have provided a way for factories and other industry-scale energy consumers to help stabilize the grid. Under this system, mining companies that buy energy in batches are compensated for switching off when a blackout looms. Meanwhile, those that have power purchase agreements (contracts that allow them to buy energy in advance at a set price) with energy suppliers can shut off when demand is high and sell their allocation to the grid at a premium.

According to Trudi Webster, a spokesperson for ERCOT, this arrangement helps to “maintain grid reliability” because participants can “increase or decrease consumption to support system needs.” This principle was put to the test in July, when a heat wave drove energy consumption to record highs and 95 percent of large-scale miners in Texas were said to have shut down. One mining company, Riot, said it earned $9.5 million in energy credits during the heat wave for switching off operations, more revenue than it earned from mining bitcoin in the same period (roughly $6.9 million).

Edited by Captainant

On 11/22/2022 at 3:07 PM, atomheartbevo said:

We are laughing at that, and it’s not just that profession that’s over-represented, but me thinks it has something to do with people who have a lot of unstructured time on their hands.  Plus, it may attract those who don’t want to risk having a libtard as their boss and can be somewhat self-employed or think it’s an easy way to make a lot of money.

If they sell that's all that matters.  If they can keep their mouths shut during a showing, they can get by.  And in many places the people they deal with are in 100% agreement.

On 11/22/2022 at 2:02 PM, atomheartbevo said:

I think you, Chuckie, and 956 are all onto it - it’s a combination of being afraid of not having control/agency, being insecure in some way (financially, etc.) and I’d toss in mental illness when you get to the extremes (Q followers, election deniers, holocaust deniers, etc,).  I’ve never seen a Qanon type or full-on election denier that didn’t have a mental illness or some kind, or that wasn’t ripping off those who do.  And it’s frustrating because Trump and Kari Lake know they lost, but they are taking advantage of the people that have mental issues.

Mix all of that together, and toss in the GOP of 2022 taking advantage of these people (not just Trump either), as well as the grifters ripping these people off, the Russians taking advantage of them, etc, and they are just absolutely bombarded with messages that everything is not their fault, that their lot in life is because of Jews, or liberals or the government rather than their own fuckups or their own unwillingness to take simple measures that could improve their lives and get them out of their financial insecurity, etc.

I think  a lot of this was laid bare with COVID-19.  A lot of these people were really vulnerable either mentally, physically (underlying conditions), or financially, and so it just wrecked them, and the GOP was all too happy to let them be used and abused by the anti-vaxxers/COVID-deniers in the GOP.

I would feel some empathy for these people, and having a Qanon in-law, I see how she’s taken advantage of by the GOP, grifters, etc. but I get fucking pissed because their inability to distinguish reality from what the GOP/Tucker/Qanon/etc, tells them directly impacts my life. Even when presented with rational explanations for simple things that go against what social media, Fox News, etc, tell them, they still hesitate because they don’t want their carefully constructed world views to collapse, and they don’t want to even flirt with the idea that what the GOP, etc. has been telling them might not be accurate, because that means they’ve been bamboozled and nobody wants to admit that.

https://theoatmeal.com/comics/believe_clean

3 hours ago, elfenix said:

https://www.wired.com/story/bitcoin-texas-power-grid/

Step 1: Get bitcoin miners to come here and put even more demand on the grid, driving up prices

Step 2: Pay bitcoin miners more money than they make from bitcoin to disconnect from the grid

Step 3: ???

Step 4: Profit!

The Texas implementation is not perfect, but the article doesn't really explain what's been happening. The mining operation in Rockdale, near Austin is what's wrong because of it's location.  The other operations that's are in West Texas though are what's right. They are using primarily to completely wasted wind energy. Energy that wouldn't be produced or would be grounded due to lack of current transmission capabilities. While providing incentive to run the turbines more and continue growing the turbine generation capacity as new turbines can be built now because of the mining use. Meanwhile transmission lines to the fields can and are being built in part from profits the miners provide from using otherwise wasted green energy.

Without their current use there is little incentive to build turbines now when existing ones can't be fully utilized. It's a chicken / egg situation where mining does bridge the gap.

8 hours ago, Captainant said:

I'm not sure how the left is rooting for a cryptobro, but ok

The redpills believe that since SBF donated tons of money to the Democratic Party, he must know their financial secrets and crimes, and thus will be killed before he is allowed to talk 

I feel dumber for even typing that. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Everything isn’t a conspiracy. Pimphand at home: 

Always Sunny Fx GIF

From what I understand he committed fraud- essentially said he’d keep crypto in a wallet for people but then used that money to make shady investments that went upside down. Fuck that guy. But trying to connect the dots to Epstein? Try not to shoot up a pizza place looking for a make believe basement 

10 hours ago, Pimphand said:

Hahahahaha enjoy being suicided you fat dumb stupid pile of effective altruism virtue signaling shit.  No way the left can let this scum live and he's got Maxwell's attorney and will be detained in Epstein's jail you can't make this shit up.

1. You know he donated shitloads to the GOP too, right?

2. Remind me, who was in charge of the bureau of prisons when Epstein died suspiciously?

I also appreciate that originally folks like @Humble Beast implied SBF was being protected because of his donations and that is why he wasn't arrested immediately. Now that he has been arrested, @Pimphand says it is because the evil democrats need to have him killed. No matter what happens, for them the reason is the same, the left is evil. It is sad, hilarious, and pathetic. 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

My favorite GQP conspiracy is Clinton killed Epstein while he was in custody of Trump's DOJ. 

Half of the people on the Epstein list weren’t even born when they were allegedly flying to the island. It’s going to be weird when these nut jobs try to accuse people in thirty years of being on the list and still get more Qanon converts. 

1 minute ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Am I the only one that can't listen to Fridman for more than two minutes? 

his voice is pretty fucking low energy lol, but coffee really has some insightful comments to the whole situation. I'm not a regular listener, but coffeezilla has been pretty impressive in his journalistic investigation of SBF and FTX

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Btw if y'all want a more detailed insight to what's happening with SBF, CoffeeZilla did a long interview with Lex Fridman that goes into all the nitty gritty. FTX was a hollow fraud from the start 

You couldn’t pay me to listen to a Lex Friedman interview.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dahobbs said:

I also appreciate that originally folks like @Humble Beast implied SBF was being protected because of his donations and that is why he wasn't arrested immediately. Now that he has been arrested, @Pimphand says it is because the evil democrats need to have him killed. No matter what happens, for them the reason is the same, the left is evil. It is sad, hilarious, and pathetic. 

As soon as one dumbass right wanger conspiracy theory bites the dust a new one springs up to take its place. It was all to anyone but the most pathetic coinbro that serious fed charges were coming and he was cooling his heels on an island while they got them ready. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Listening to a legal presentation on crypto…and so far, exactly what anyone with common sense has said. Crypto boomed because we had lots of capital looking for places to park. There weren’t enough legit places to park, so crypto picked up the slack. But it’s just a parking place for stupid money, and it has no special value other than as a vehicle of speculation for the sake of speculation.

It ain’t money. It ain’t replacing money. Go stand over there with the tulip bulbs, Beanie Babies, and emus. Time to start placing bets on what the NEXT “ZOMG, you better get in on this right now, people are making millions overnight!” thing will be. Whatever it is….it’ll be stupid. And it’ll work at separating a lotta folks from their money.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

As for SBF himself, what a fucking joke.  This guy is worse than Madoff, and he came in the package of a smarmy asshole manchild with a baby voice and no interpersonal skills.  Con men are at least usually the superficially charming and persuasive kind of sociopath.  How did anyone fall under this trainwreck’s spell?  

People fell for it because crypto turns people into fucking idiots willing to give their money to whatever two-bit con artist walks through the door and says the right phrases.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 12/13/2022 at 11:58 PM, atomheartbevo said:

People fell for it because crypto turns people into fucking idiots willing to give their money to whatever two-bit con artist walks through the door and says the right phrases.

I submit that someone might already be an idiot and not need to be turned into one to be a crypto bro. The complete fraud who advocated tirelessly for crypto on this thread was already on the idiot path long before he took up trying to further this scam. He deserves a perma ban for knowingly presenting lies on here to people about crypto.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/28/2021 at 9:20 PM, GRHorn said:

We already have a thread in the markets forum, but it’s mostly a handful of enthusiasts going back and forth with new info. That, and new posters asking how they can buy some etc. I’m curious what thoughts all the serious people on this forum have on Bitcoin. 

Before its recent pullback the value of the Bitcoin network crossed over $1 Trillion dollars. Although still relatively small in terms of market size it seems to be reaching a size of geopolitical significance. Large money managers, high net worth individuals, pension funds, insurance companies, publicly traded corporations are all getting exposure to the asset. One Senator, a small caucus in the House, and the richest man on Earth are advocates for it. 

Bitcoin is both complex and simple at the same time, but there’s two main aspects that fascinate me and imo give it massive tailwinds. 

1) It’s the first asset in history whose supply cannot be increased in response to an increase in demand. There’s a set emission schedule that cannot be changed. 

This has massive implications as whatever value you have stored in it cannot be arbitrarily diluted by outside forces or any centralized entity. As MMTers gain more influence and stimulus continues indefinitely inflation potential will rise, but now people are more easily able to protect their savings. Given that inflation is most harmful to people on the lower ends of the economic spectrum, bitcoin has the potential to actually help combat inequality. 

2) Decentralization- The trend towards more centralization of money and power has been accelerating. Bitcoin’s network is decentralized. No one entity controls it. Anyone can use it, or not, as they please. Transactions cannot be censored. As politicians and big tech continue to censor people’s speech or their ability to earn a living, more and more people will look to a system that is open like Bitcoin. 

Of course governments don’t like losing any control, but especially over people’s money. Many governments have already attempted to “ban bitcoin” with poor results. Soon the US Govt will likely take their shot and try to squash it out. I think that’s misguided and ultimately futile. 

As a footnote, the price as of this post is $46,494. 

As of this post it's $16,844.40.  (But maybe I didn't count the 4-for-1 split last year)*

I just saw the new Coinbase "screen out the noise" commercial during the PHX-MEM basketball game.  That's one die hard Ponzi scheme you guys have got going there. 

(Edit on 3/16/23: *that's a joke.  There's no "4-for-1" splits in crypto)/

Edited by Bullneck
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

As of this post it's $16,844.40.  (But maybe I didn't count the 4-for-1 split last year)

I just saw the new Coinbase "screen out the noise" commercial during the PHX-MEM basketball game.  That's one die hard Ponzi scheme you guys have got going there. 

It’s amazing that at this point it has not completely collapsed. This is not an alternative to our currency. It is not a currency. It is exactly what you said it is. A ponzi scheme. If you are actively promoting this stuff still you might should not be allowed to ever have the ability to live amongst the rest of us. 

Edited by UpperWestside
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/23/2022 at 11:58 PM, UpperWestside said:

It’s amazing that at this point it has not completely collapsed. This is not an alternative to our currency. It is not a currency. It is exactly what you said it is. A ponzi scheme. If you are actively promoting this stuff still you might should not be allowed to ever have the ability to live amongst the rest of us. 

NOW IS THE TIME TO BUY!!!!!!!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Bullneck said:

She's Bitcoin from the front, but from the back that coin is a knock-off of their old silver Peso when they were cool and sorta trying to make the Republic of Central America happen.

So I'm reading this message as

1. Chicks dig Bitcoin, but

2. Don't forget where you came from

3. Lowball sculptors, and

4. Take over Nicaragua and Honduras again.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Bullneck said:

FOYxAVTVkAASbha.jpg

At least you can eat this one.

I am pretty convinced now that the one utility I saw in crypto, which was avoiding exchange commissions in foreign currencies, is totally ruined by the volatility in the coins.  My brother used BTC because of this but lately he’s been acknowledging he’d be better off just accepting the skim from a currency trader.