Tom Herman hired by Florida Atlantic

texifornia

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman hired by Florida Atlantic
3 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Dude still led us to the best season in 12 years and was a good coach, better than Sark for sure. His downfall was his arrogance and the quality of coaches he surrounded himself with. If he had a legit top D1 staff and smoothed out some of his rough edges a bit he would still be here.  

Sark will have more success even though he isn't nearly as good of a coach because of his ability to get and retain better talent than Tom. Tom was also too damn conservative in the true sense of the word not the bullshit current political sense. And yes the username sort of checks out

"Getting and retaining talent" is probably the single most important duty a head college football coach has.

• Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, C-Man said:

"Getting and retaining talent" is probably the single most important duty a head college football coach has.

Exactly. Going back to the Mack years, people have maintained this idea of “coach X isn’t a good coach, he just attracts really good talent, hires great assistants, keeps everyone happy, etc.” That’s most of the goddamn job. Was Mack a genius Xs and Os guy? No, but he was elite at the above (for his first dozen years here anyway). 

(Also, Herman never really seemed to be much of a schematic genius either.)

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, MrBig said:

He looks skinny. Cocaine & strippers or COVID from kissing?

I guess he did not learn. Like Bucky Godbolt said about Tom, players don't want to hear you care they want to know you care. People know you care when your actions show it otherwise the words ring hollow. He is back to saying I will love you now he just needs to start kissing them enough to convince himself he actually knows their names.

54 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Recruiting is the lifeblood of a program, it’s true. And the teams with the most talent tend to have the best results on the field. But while it begins with recruiting, it doesn’t end there. After you get them on campus you have to develop them, motivate them, and put them in a position to succeed. Some coaches do more with lesser talent because they’re good at those things. Some coaches recruit well but fall short of expectations because they’re not so good at those things. Ron Zook is a textbook example of the latter. 

2 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Recruiting is the lifeblood of a program, it’s true. And the teams with the most talent tend to have the best results on the field. But while it begins with recruiting, it doesn’t end there. After you get them on campus you have to develop them, motivate them, and put them in a position to succeed. Some coaches do more with lesser talent because they’re good at those things. Some coaches recruit well but fall short of expectations because they’re not so good at those things. Ron Zook is a textbook example of the latter. 

Of course. I just recoil any time somebody says Coach X is a "shitty" coach when he appears to do parts of the job exceptionally.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Of course. I just recoil any time somebody says Coach X is a "shitty" coach when he appears to do parts of the job exceptionally.

At the end of the day a coach is who the scoreboard says he is. It doesn’t matter how well he recruits if it doesn’t lead to success. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Was Mack a genius Xs and Os guy? No, but he was elite at the above (for his first dozen years here anyway). 

Mack was great at the attracting and keeping talent part, not so much the talented assistants (see: GD, Bull Reese, Mad Dog, Old Freak Nasty)

1 hour ago, DanTheHorn said:

I guess he did not learn. Like Bucky Godbolt said about Tom, players don't want to hear you care they want to know you care. People know you care when your actions show it otherwise the words ring hollow. He is back to saying I will love you now he just needs to start kissing them enough to convince himself he actually knows their names.

What exactly do you expect him to say at his opening public talk to the team? 

14 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

What exactly do you expect him to say at his opening public talk to the team? 

Goals he has for the program and general expectations he has of players that have played for him. No need to say you will be loved by me and your position coaches. It does not sound sincere, it sounds like the used car salesman that says they like you that is why they are going to cut you a deal. In my view it is just a bad way to open up day one.

Edited by DanTheHorn
  • Like 1

Interesting gig with some upside. He'll win 8-9 games there in his sleep. 
I would think he could have gotten a better job but who knows how much UT has dragged his name in the mud the past couple years. 
Hugh Freeze is back as an SEC head coach, and arguably higher profile school this time.

1 hour ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Mack was great at the attracting and keeping talent part, not so much the talented assistants (see: GD, Bull Reese, Mad Dog, Old Freak Nasty)

Sure, but I’d counter with guys like Akina, G Robinson, Muschamp, etc. I think once his honeymoon was over (after the 03 holiday bowl) he figured this part out a bit.

As others have stated, maybe Herman’s biggest screwup was his staff that he brought in.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CptnJiggleBits said:

Dang, the knife has changed her. But still.....

If she was knifed in those photos, she still looks good and they were minimally invasive things. Unfortunately they don't come close to the more recent hack jobs done on her face.

I will never understand how people get convinced that looking like a beat up fish is somehow better than leaving your face alone

Edited by redswingline
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Dude still led us to the best season in 12 years and was a good coach, better than Sark for sure. His downfall was his arrogance and the quality of coaches he surrounded himself with. If he had a legit top D1 staff and smoothed out some of his rough edges a bit he would still be here.  

Sark will have more success even though he isn't nearly as good of a coach because of his ability to get and retain better talent than Tom. Tom was also too damn conservative in the true sense of the word not the bullshit current political sense. And yes the username sort of checks out

Is winning still hard?

I'm shocked this is as good a gig as he could get, but I shouldn't be shocked. He made some huge mistakes and wasn't able to attract a top quality staff to join him at Texas. That was a massive red flag. He can fix all of the mistakes he made, but I'm still not sure whether quality coaches will work for him. That's the key question. 

He could get to the playoffs there without a doubt. 
top 6 ranked conference champs all make the playoffs automatically. 
That’s a high talent area. If he’s at all capable of introspection he could work his way up to another legit job. I don’t think he’s capable of introspection and change, but who knows.