Tom Herman hired by Florida Atlantic

texifornia

On 3/13/2023 at 6:11 PM, Blotto said:

I laugh when anyone claims its harder to coach at UT than any of the other top historical programs. Every fan base similar to Texas has lofty expectations. if you win 9 games one season, you better win 10+ the next. And if you hit 10 wins the following season, you better be competing for the championship the next. Its no different at any bigtime school. If we stopped hiring gotdamn idiots for head coaches, our prospects would probably improve. Fucking Sark, lulz. 

And therein lies the problem Blotto. High caliber coaches don't come here because of what Herbie said about us on national tv. All the money we have, and all the talent we have right outside our door and we can't get a quality coach? Something is def up behind the scenes that people in the coaching circles know about. Look at Georgia. Good talent in the state but the Tenn, Fla, and Bama's of the world kept coming in and raiding the place. If they could ever get a coach who could put a recruiting fence around the state they would be good for a long time. Finally they did just that. The state of Texas is them on steroids. So much damn talent that you would think anyone who can recruit would come here in a heartbeat but yet crickets. 

• Fuck You 1

17 hours ago, Thatguy said:

High caliber coaches don't come here because of what Herbie said about us on national tv. All the money we have, and all the talent we have right outside our door and we can't get a quality coach? Something is def up behind the scenes that people in the coaching circles know about. 

Can you explain what you mean by this? I know what Herbstreit said about Austin being a cesspool, but that was clearly more pandering to the Aggies in the audience and based on his sympathy for Brown and Strong. Just more generic "boosters run the program" bullshit. I get that McCombs didn't like Strong but those days seem long past. The situation with Texas' boosters doesn't seem any worse than it does at other big programs. In fact, with NIL it's probably better. The administration is an annoying roadblock, but CDC seems like a huge improvement over Patterson. 

Not giving you shit, just genuinely curious what you mean. 

7 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

Can you explain what you mean by this? I know what Herbstreit said about Austin being a cesspool, but that was clearly more pandering to the Aggies in the audience and based on his sympathy for Brown and Strong. Just more generic "boosters run the program" bullshit. I get that McCombs didn't like Strong but those days seem long past. The situation with Texas' boosters doesn't seem any worse than it does at other big programs. In fact, with NIL it's probably better. The administration is an annoying roadblock, but CDC seems like a huge improvement over Patterson. 

You're right. The days of McCombs hating Strong are long gone. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

It's difficult to discuss the problems with UT's administration without getting political, which leads to cloak room arguments. But, look how Herman handled the "Eyes of Texas" situation created by some sociology professors. Where are the players getting these ideas?

Plus, it's been discussed ad nauseam. To your point, boosters meddle at all big time programs bc they're invested in it.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Eggo said:

You're right. The days of McCombs hating Strong are long gone. 

Red didn't hate Strong, even though his comment was spot on. His problem was being disrespected by Patterson. But in all fairness Steve Patterson disrespected everyone not named Steve Patterson. I've never met a bigger A-hole and with any luck he will be the high water mark.

• Hook 'Em 4

31 minutes ago, 927 E. 41st said:

Red didn't hate Strong, even though his comment was spot on. His problem was being disrespected by Patterson. But in all fairness Steve Patterson disrespected everyone not named Steve Patterson. I've never met a bigger A-hole and with any luck he will be the high water mark.

Tom Herman vs Steve Patterson

56 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

Man how would history have played out if Oliver Luck would have been hired instead of Patterson?

The tiny bit of “insider” information I have suggests that Patterson was hired to do three things: hire Shaka, Fire Brown, Hire Strong. Fire Mack bc of the legal shitstorm with the wheelchair bound track coach having multiple affairs with students vs Major Applewhite banging his assistant. Mack legit thought bc he was best buds with Dodds he’d take over the AD position (again my insider shit) so he became lazy in all aspects of the football after Colt left. He thought right up until that dinner (where we could watch his very mad face)  he wasn’t going to be fired. Bc he’d turned that particular season around. Luck should have been the hire but Patterson was only there to take the heat off Dodds and do basic shit and not be likable: just drop the hatchet and take the heat off the administration. Patterson went a step too far (I’m still not convinced he didn’t do it without the top brass blessing) with the season ticket shit and such. He managed to piss off everyone. That takes skill or…At any rate the wheeled one (track coach) had to go but bc the Applewhite situation was handled not great we got Smart and Strong and wound up not having either of those adjectives. Again this is just my observation + the one decent source I have. In short it was a shitshow. Unfortunately we had to fire Herman bc off the field stuff was becoming a huge issue. The Eyes controversy only magnified it. The Houston BMDs are to thank for the Herman hire after being pissed they had no say over the Strong hire. We swung at the fences and dropped a buttload of cash at Meyer and Kelly and they said no (various reasons.) Sark wasn’t a second choice…maybe third. Herman fucked himself with stuff that we couldn’t cover up for anymore. I’d love to believe with all my heart Sark is the guy…but I do not think he is. But fuck it we have a lot of kick ass recruits and a stripper with a monkey. We belong in SEC! 

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 6

7 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

At any rate the wheeled one (track coach) had to go but bc the Applewhite situation was handled not great we got Smart and Strong and wound up not having either of those adjectives

Episode 1 Applause GIF by Friends

13 minutes ago, Parliament said:

He is (or was) a thin-skinned, philandering, drunken DB, but who doesn't love a comeback story.  I hope he does well, and ends up at a P5 program.  

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1

Nicole, I heard it different. 
I heard that things were affected by the split regents pressuring Powers. Mack had friends, a nd Powers didn’t want to fire him, because he needed friends. (I am pro-Powers, btw). 
I heard that Luck assumed Mack would go and we would make a run at Saban. Luck, however, did not want to be the one to fire Mack; he felt that should be done before he signed on. 
I heard the key part of Patterson’s interview was his signal to Powers that he would follow his lead. 
This explains the last weekend- Mack was staying until the biggest cigars told Powers he could stay but Mack had to go. 

Edited by statsman
  • Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, statsman said:

Nicole, I heard it different. 
I heard that things were affected by the split regents pressuring Powers. Mack had friends, a nd Powers didn’t want to fire him, because he needed friends. (I am pro-Powers, btw). 
I heard that Luck assumed Mack would go and we would make a run at Saban. Luck, however, did not want to be the one to fire Mack; he felt that should be done before he signed on. 
I heard the key part of Patterson’s interview was his signal to Powers that he would follow his lead. 
This explains the last weekend- Mack was staying until the biggest cigars told Powers he could stay but Mack had to go. 

$9.95 ?

It's difficult to discuss the problems with UT's administration without getting political, which leads to cloak room arguments. But, look how Herman handled the "Eyes of Texas" situation created by some sociology professors. Where are the players getting these ideas?
Plus, it's been discussed ad nauseam. To your point, boosters meddle at all big time programs bc they're invested in it.

Herman was on the right side of the EOT thing in letting players do what they felt was right. They’re adults and can decide whether or not they want to sing a song or not, and face any consequences that may come from that. Old men going full titty baby over their special song look as bad as anyone coming out of that whole situation.
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:

Herman was on the right side of the EOT thing in letting players do what they felt was right. They’re adults and can decide whether or not they want to sing a song or not, and face any consequences that may come from that. Old men going full titty baby over their special song look as bad as anyone coming out of that whole situation.

It was not Herman’s job to fix the school. He was the highest paid employee, but it just wasn’t his job. 

His job was to coach the football team. 

11 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Ummm, valid comparison but Herman could at least fake it in person(even though it showed). Both of them seemed to think they were the smartest SOB in the room, a dangerous assumption that is probably only made by a narcissist.

Patterson liked to treat everyone like they were a know nothing POS. Probably not the best approach when you are asking for big donations, maybe you could at least return a call to guy like Red. By comparison DKR didn't have to be nice to kids, but when I met him, he was. Mack's personality was a well known plus, I'm not important enough for them to remember, but Mack would shake my hand and call me by name. 

Also, while Charle is in the discussion for worst coach in any sport to set foot on the 40, Patterson did him NO favors.

1 hour ago, statsman said:

It was not Herman’s job to fix the school. He was the highest paid employee, but it just wasn’t his job. 

So as the head coach of the team that embroiled in the matter, is he just supposed to ignore it,  pretend it wasnt going on? There's a reason the football coach at Texas is the highest paid employee of the university, and its not to stick his head in the sand when his players are involved. I'm not claiming he handled it perfectly, but it seems pretty naive to just say "it wasnt his job"

30 minutes ago, Blotto said:

So as the head coach of the team that embroiled in the matter, is he just supposed to ignore it,  pretend it wasnt going on? There's a reason the football coach at Texas is the highest paid employee of the university, and it’s not to stick his head in the sand when his players are involved. I'm not claiming he handled it perfectly, but it seems pretty naive to just say "it wasnt his job"

Great question. 

The answer is, on this topic, he should follow the guidance and direction of his bosses- CDC, Hartzell and Eltife, the latter two actually working on this issue. If, in good conscience, he could not do that, he should have resigned. 

• Hook 'Em 1

And the only logical conclusion from this position would be that the right move from that perspective would be to let the players decide for themselves and move on. It’s irrelevant to on field performance and there’s no reason to piss off your locker room over it. But of course, the job isn’t about coaching football. It’s about making donors happy (I do agree that’s not unique to Texas). Winning is certainly a priority from that perspective and the best way and gets them off your back with regard to the other stuff, but that’s ultimately what it comes down to.

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Winning is certainly a priority from that perspective and the best way and gets them off your back with regard to the other stuff, but that’s ultimately what it comes down to.

In 2020, Herman put out a team that had many team leaders for whom winning football games was of secondary (at best) importance, and it showed. 

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, statsman said:

In 2020, Herman put out a team that had many team leaders for whom winning football games was of secondary (at best) importance, and it showed. 

He had created the team and environment. Is it any wonder the team wasn't focused on football, and oh how it showed. 

The team followed the lead of the coach, and he wasn't focused on football either.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 3/20/2023 at 12:23 PM, Park Gothic said:

It's all out there for anyone to see, just people think it's......Just more generic "boosters run the program" bullshit.....yet for all our wealth and resources we can't money-whip a solid coach. I don't know what else to tell you besides that. 

15 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

To be clear: Major Applewhite did not bang his assistant, or anyone who answered to him. It was a shitty thing to do because it was shitty, but Major was not her boss. That was sleazy, but quite different from what Bev Kearney was doing. 

Clearly an Applewhite>>Simms guy

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

On 3/21/2023 at 2:19 AM, Tex Pete said:

To be clear: Major Applewhite did not bang his assistant, or anyone who answered to him. It was a shitty thing to do because it was shitty, but Major was not her boss. That was sleazy, but quite different from what Bev Kearney was doing. 

I mean, ok, but let’s not pretend there wasn’t a huge power dynamic difference between them 

On 3/29/2023 at 6:58 PM, Chad said:

He legitimately looks nothing like he did when he coached at Texas, what in the fuck?

I mean, other than getting more sun, losing a few pounds and wearing a different color, he looks pretty much exactly like he did at Texas:

download.png.c0a9a481aabc45433871fd4b51d50fac.png

UT announces Houston's Tom Herman as head football coach | 12newsnow.com

https://ca-times.brightspotcdn.com/dims4/default/25a9161/2147483647/strip/false/crop/2048x1152+0+0/resize/1486x836!/quality/80/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcalifornia-times-brightspot.s3.amazonaws.com%2Ff4%2F41%2F0207fd3abf0d61a543f544c013f0%2Fla-1514488124-qvhodxszpf-snap-image

Coach Tom Herman fired at UT | KOKE FM

Cartoon image of a turtle | Free SVG

On 3/20/2023 at 10:07 PM, BurntOrange&White said:

Tom Herman vs John Mackovic vs Steve Peterson

Not sure who’s the biggest asshole, but Tom Herman definitely trails the other two. Tom’s obvious character flaws were magnified by his social awkwardness. The other two were just pure, unadulterated assholes. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

Tom Herman vs John Mackovic vs Steve Peterson
Not sure who’s the biggest asshole, but Tom Herman definitely trails the other two. Tom’s obvious character flaws were magnified by his social awkwardness. The other two were just pure, unadulterated assholes. 

Steve Peterson?
  • Haha 1