Seeded tournament thread of Win

Wulaw Horn

I know you fuckers did this without me last year, and on one hand I was thankful to see people enjoyed it enough to carry on without me and on the other hand- what the fuck dudes?  Did anyone even pour one out for me?

Huck is in if he wants in, obviously, b/c he runs the numbers and makes the whole thing 100 X more fun than it otherwise would be and he's awesome.  And- I think he finally is the defending champion so that always was a thing in the past that the guy who wants to defend his title can.  Big Orange is in if he wants in b/c he's the bank, usually, if he's ok with that.  Me- I brought the concept and the idea- and I put up the thread and run the draft damn it.  So that's 3.  

Got room for 5 more of you guys, first come first serve unless I think you suck and will make this less fun to do for the next three weeks in which case I will tell you so and we will ignore first come first serve. So basically it's the no Homers club (but his name is homer... Exactly we already have our Homer, no Homer(S)- if you've ever seen that Simpsons, which is awesome). 

2 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

remind me the set up/how it works on this one? 

You each draft 8 teams in a snake draft. You get points equal to your seed times the round (first Four games don’t count- 64 team tournament proper). So if

texas is a 3 seed and you draft them and they make it to the final 4, you get 30 points (3 first round, 6 second round, 9 third round and 12 for fourth round.). Most points wins. So, a 1 seed winning it all is only worth 21 points, but a 12 seed making it to the sweet 16 is worth 36 points. 

• Hook 'Em 1

It's probably not a revolutionary idea for anyone, but one side bet that I've been running with my NCAA pool among friends for the past 10-12 years is something called an Eight Pack, in which everyone involved picks eight teams and earns the same amount of points as the team's seed for each victory. 

Same general idea as this contest, but no points multiplier (though it could be added, obviously), and there's nothing preventing everyone from choosing the same teams (this tends to leave the outcome uncertain for a good while), and also there's no limit to the number of participants allowed. 

I usually run it as a $10, winner take all, optional side bet. 

We also used to do a "worst bracket" winner take all side bet that was fun for a while, but it ran its course after a few years, and was  always (or at least almost always) decided by the end of the first weekend. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom

22 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

It's probably not a revolutionary idea for anyone, but one side bet that I've been running with my NCAA pool among friends for the past 10-12 years is something called an Eight Pack, in which everyone involved picks eight teams and earns the same amount of points as the team's seed for each victory. 

Same general idea as this contest, but no points multiplier (though it could be added, obviously), and there's nothing preventing everyone from choosing the same teams (this tends to leave the outcome uncertain for a good while), and also there's no limit to the number of participants allowed. 

I usually run it as a $10, winner take all, optional side bet. 

We also used to do a "worst bracket" winner take all side bet that was fun for a while, but it ran its course after a few years, and was  always (or at least almost always) decided by the end of the first weekend. 

i'd be down for the eight pack.

7 hours ago, immamac said:

I don't know what this is.

It’s an ongoing thing I started (and huck and BigO have been in on since 2014 or something like that on shaggy). 
8 players, snake draft- everyone drafts 8 teams and your point total is the seed of your team multiplied by the round that they win. Spa a 12 seed winning in the first round gets 12 points. If they win again in the second round they get another 24. So on and so forth until the end. 
the goal isn’t to pick the winner it’s to pick the most under seeded teams. 
It’s actually a ton of fun, right up until it isn’t. 

22 hours ago, Capn81 said:

If anyone starts a second seeded draft, I will be down to play.

So- we could kind of open this up for everyone in this we- we have our seeded draft and then we all throw in $5.00 for precipice’s idea on the pick any 8 you want side bet. If anyone who likes this concert can’t get in on the main event they can at least dazzle us with their picks of the top 8. 
Any interest in that?  

On 3/12/2021 at 8:30 PM, Wulaw Horn said:

So- we could kind of open this up for everyone in this we- we have our seeded draft and then we all throw in $5.00 for precipice’s idea on the pick any 8 you want side bet. If anyone who likes this concert can’t get in on the main event they can at least dazzle us with their picks of the top 8. 
Any interest in that?  

i'm down for whatever.  when you gonna get us a draft order?  we can start this bitch up tonight!

On 3/12/2021 at 1:45 PM, Huckleberry said:

I think we should clarify immediately that a COVID advancement counts as a win for the purposes of this competition. If you get lucky then congrats.

Agreed. Also, if you draft a team and then they pull out before the tournament, you automatically get the team that replaced them. 

• Hook 'Em 3

23 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

i'm down for whatever.  when you gonna get us a draft order?  we can start this bitch up tonight!

I can roll with whatever the group prefers, but I wouldn't mind a little time to digest the bracket tonight before we get started. We've got until Friday (or Thursday, counting the First Four) so I don't know that we need to rush. 

But again, I'm new to this and I totally defer... 

54 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

I can roll with whatever the group prefers, but I wouldn't mind a little time to digest the bracket tonight before we get started. We've got until Friday (or Thursday, counting the First Four) so I don't know that we need to rush. 

In the past we've "started" the draft on Selection Sunday if the first picker is ready. But when you turn comes up, no pressure to choose immediately.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

prepuce 8th overall pick confirmed. 

• Haha 3

On 3/12/2021 at 8:30 PM, Wulaw Horn said:

Any interest in that?  

I'm happy to score the Eight Pack if it's a manageable number of participants, but I'm not an Excel wizard, so if this becomes a large undertaking (more than 15-20?) is there someone else who can automate scoring or set up a macro or something? 

I would propose that everyone just enter on the honor system, and then once it's done, the winner can choose their preferred method of payment (PayPal, Best Buy coupons, etc.) and everyone just pays them their $5 directly. Or maybe there's some easy way for @blacklabor @immamacto act as the bank/escrow service? 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom

Just now, Huckleberry said:

First problem with math system in this crazy season identified. The math absolutely loves Colgate thanks to their limited schedule.

But I will stick to the system so I won't be defending my title very strongly. Ha.

I mean- when the system knows it’s GIGO you could use it as a guide as opposed to strict must draft order. 

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I think Big O usually holds money. 
I can’t imagine that there will be too many people wanting to join the 8 pack, but who knows. 

don't we usually just all pay the winner individually at the end?  i can totally hold it, but if everyone is cool with just paying the winner at the end i'm fine with that too.

3 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I mean- when the system knows it’s GIGO you could use it as a guide as opposed to strict must draft order. 

Maybe, I might change my mind. But if I don't then I can blame COVID for my failures, you know, protect the ego.

Anyway, it's even crazier than you think. The system has Colgate favored over Arkansas in the first round.

Edited by Huckleberry

Yeah- let’s just pay at the end. That totally works for me if it’s ok for everyone else. We’ve been doing this long enough and it’s only $20. remember the first year I mailed you $20.00 cash to Big Orange somewhere in Lubbock I think  

if the same happens and Derka wins I’m totally crashing his house  

you should totally take Colgate #1 overall Huck.