Directors who get a lotta mileage out of you....

GreenspointTexas

...for one movie they have done

Ill start:

Terrence Malick - The Thin Red Line

He gets a lifetime pass from me because of that film. 

Spike Lee - He Got Game

Could have also put “Do the Right Thing” on here. Although he has been spinning his wheels since Inside Man, I still force myself to watch all of his new films

• Hook 'Em 1

Do you mean directors that I only watch/have watched one movie of theirs but I love it? Or directors who I will check out anything else they've made or make because of one movie?

Frank Darabont is a good one for the first one. Shyamalan is a good one for the second example. Not that I watch all of his stuff but he'll always have The Sixth Sense. I actually liked Split a lot, too.

• Hook 'Em 1

This is a hard one.  I take it from your question, directors you like for one movie but they just never quite live up to it.

Diner, by Barry Levinson.

For some reason, I bet lots of foreign directors would fall into this.  Two guys I am thinking who did coming of age style flicks that are easily accessible but then they kind of went off the deep end on occassion and I never really liked there other stuff. 

I vitelloni by Fellini is the first.  Breathless by Godard.  400 blows by Truffaut.

I vitelloni goes down like Barry Levinson's Diner and his Baltimore movies.  The other two also had an autobiorgraphical feel that made them feel genuine. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

14 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

Holy sweet fuck.

I forgot he did The Green Mile. Oops. Admittedly I've only seen it once.

16 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

The latter @ztejas

I should clarify. Directors whom you will watch anything of theirs just because of one movie they have made. Even if everything they have made otherwise is complete crap

I got you. That's tough. I feel like most directors I enjoy I enjoy multiple films of theirs.

Peter Jackson might be a good one - although I like King Kong pretty well. He definitely gets a lifetime pass for LOTR.

Edited by ztejas

Paul Thomas Anderson is that way for me. All of his movies get a look because of boogie nights. But I didn’t really love any of the other ones, including super successful and praised ones like there will be blood, and I straight up walked out of inherent vice. But still, if a PTA movie was released tomorrow it would be must see no questions asked.  

• Hook 'Em 6

Quentin Tarantino: If he puts out a movie, it's a must watch for me. There are more gems than not, but there are some I didn't like and knew I wouldn't but gave it a chance anyways.

Christopher Nolan: Standard Movie-bro answer. I'm one of the minority of people who probably went out and sought out Tenet (actually bought the DVD).

Darren Aronofsky: I thought Requiem for a Dream was good not great (minority opinion back then, maybe public opinion has regressed to the mean) and thought Noah was a bag of crap, but love most everything else. The Wrestler is one of my favorite movies ever. Black Swan was so good. Mother! very underrated.

Coen Brothers: It's an automatic watch for me, dog.

Edited by DonkeyCigars
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Quentin Tarantino: If he puts out a movie, it's a must watch for me. There are more gems than not, but there are some I didn't like and knew I wouldn't but gave it a chance anyways.

Christopher Nolan: Standard Movie-bro answer. I'm one of the minority of people who probably went out and sought out Tenet (actually bought the DVD).

Darren Aronofsky: I thought Requiem for a Dream was good not great (minority opinion back then, maybe public opinion has regressed to the mean) and thought Noah was a bag of crap, but love most everything else. The Wrestler is one of my favorite movies ever. Black Swan was so good. Mother! very underrated.

Coen Brothers: It's an automatic watch for me, dog.

1 hour ago, thrillhammer said:

wes anderson

coen brothers

terrance malick

scorsese

spielberg

ridley scott

kathryn bigelow

steve mcqueen

soderbergh

I don't think y'all are understanding the question.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TexasHooch said:

Kathryn Bigelow for the Hurt Locker.  I've seen every movie since, and back tracked to watch/re-watch the movies she did before.  She'll get my money every time, especially when it comes to military based movies.

tumblr_mmf4uyduhE1rsnv98o1_500.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Spike Lee - He Got Game

Could have also put “Do the Right Thing” on here. Although he has been spinning his wheels since Inside Man, I still force myself to watch all of his new films

He's too good for this thread.  But you started it, so you kinda make the rules. 

25th Hour is my favorite of his. 

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, TexasHooch said:

Kathryn Bigelow for the Hurt Locker.  I've seen every movie since, and back tracked to watch/re-watch the movies she did before.  She'll get my money every time, especially when it comes to military based movies.

The Hurt Locker is an OK movie, but come on.  Point Blank, Man.  

Edited by Parliament

I don't think either are her best, as much as I enjoy both. 

I'm just following the instructions of the OP.  When I saw Point Break (not Blank) for the first time, 16 year-old me didn't say "man, I sure do appreciate the approach the director took here."  When I saw Hurt Locker for the first time, I did, and it's made me seek out all of her work since as well as go back to the ones that came out when I was younger.

Edited by TexasHooch
  • Hook 'Em 1

I tried to turn some of you lot onto Hu Bo, who did the four hour "An Elephant Sitting Still".

If he weren't dead, I'd watch all of his stuff.  

An Elephant Sitting Still (Chinese: 大象席地而坐, "Dà Xiàng Xídì Érzuò") is a 2018 Chinese film written, directed and edited by Hu Bo. The first and only film by the novelist-turned-director Hu, who died by suicide soon after finishing his film on 12 October 2017 at the age of 29, it is based on a story with the same title from his 2017 novel Huge Crack.[2][3] It made its world premiere in the Forum section of the 68th Berlin International Film Festival.[4][5][6] The film had won acclaim from other established directors such as Béla Tarr, Wang Bing, Ang Lee and Gus Van Sant.[7]

4 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Both of those directors have incredible catalogs... especially Fincher

Yeah I wasn't really paying attention to the premise. My post was more like "I'll watch anything they make" because of those movies but you're right, they both have incredible catalogs.

it's a tough topic, because if i am still seeking out their films, I must feel they are still doing pretty good work - but i will try

these directors either

• never fulfilled their promising start or
  • maybe became a little bit too "one note-ish" in their subsequent films or
  • maybe the film spoke to me at the time in which i was living and later films don't as much

Neil LaBute  - In the Company of Men

Noah Baumbach - Kicking and Screaming (i know the conventional wisdom is that he has done better films)

Whit Stillman - Metropolitan

Darren Aronofsky - Requiem for a Dream (i still seek out his films, but i cant say they have much of an impact on me like Requim)

Edited by yoladu
  • Hook 'Em 1