Big Bend - Alpine - Marfa - Fort Davis

On 3/2/2019 at 5:34 PM, thrillhammer said:

great pics.  lets hear the deets.  where'd ya camp?  where'd ya hike?

2 nights at RGV, 1 night at black dike, 1 night dominguez spring trailhead, 3 nights at dominguez spring. did a lot of different hikes...pine canyon, dodson trail from juniper canyon to dodson springs, lower burro mesa, santa elena, cattail falls, window trail,  fisk canyon, pt. 5168. lots of water was flowing around dominguez spring and in fisk canyon, it was very nice. wildflowers everywhere. 

• Like 2

On 2/9/2019 at 8:32 PM, Beau Vine said:

0209192022.jpg

Yeah, Latitas Resort.  First time here...we don't golf, but wife loves it and is already talking about coming back.  If you golf, this place would be incredible.

Even if you don't golf pay the $50 to rent a cart and drive the course. Some really incredible views. 

• Like 1

Here now. Spring break crowds. Got to Starlight Theater at 5pm when they opened and left at 9pm. Apparently people were lining up at 330. Fuck that. Got to lost mines trailhead before sunrise with 5 or 6 parking spots left. Otherwise it's been manageable. Have gotten parking at Chisos basin each time I've tried. Do aggys own any other clothing besides Adidas (lol) aggy gear?

On 3/11/2019 at 9:50 PM, DaysOff said:

Here now. Spring break crowds. Got to Starlight Theater at 5pm when they opened and left at 9pm. Apparently people were lining up at 330. Fuck that. Got to lost mines trailhead before sunrise with 5 or 6 parking spots left. Otherwise it's been manageable. Have gotten parking at Chisos basin each time I've tried. Do aggys own any other clothing besides Adidas (lol) aggy gear?

Heading there this coming week, leaving Wednesday and returning Sunday. Bummer about Starlight theater. One in our group really wants to go so it is on the agenda. How bad was the wait? I would really rather not spend time in God's country waiting in line for a bar. I can do that here.

Really looking forward to seeing the bluebonnets. https://www.travelandleisure.com/trip-ideas/nature-travel/texas-bluebonnet-bloom-best-in-years https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/texas/article/Big-Bend-photographer-reflects-on-historic-2019-13691691.php

Spoiler

1024x1024.jpg1024x1024.jpg1024x1024.jpg

Edited by gmr548

Just got done with 4 nights camping in BBRSP with the fam. We were at La Posta campsite, first time going to the interior of the park. Did a few day hikes, Fresno overlook, Cinco Tinajas, and hiked down Fresno Canyon Rd to the bottom of the canyon.

3f1638ec4ece8c9e3a8ee9878a4e2820.jpg
3575892d608dbea4f58745bc59607cba.jpg
f3efd9cfa4cbb8b51735afbe393f2dd1.jpg
5e2bf5fc45ddc822cdca21c43fbc5dd0.jpg
0573713ff7744bbde0f6360090427b07.jpg
20f7456aac83508c8a8e28c2e62ba4bf.jpg
a60c7f1d3a3ab5dd95606e5f2337b155.jpg

• Like 7

Left Wednesday afternoon and returned to Austin this evening. Camped in BBNP Thursday and Friday night, drove to Alpine on Saturday afternoon and stopped over there for the evening. Did Boquillas and the hot springs on Thursday, Window Trail, Lost Mines, and snuck over to Starlight Theater/Terlingua on Friday, and Santa Elena Canyon Saturday morning before heading for Alpine. Great trip. It is really such an awe inspiring place. The bluebonnets were a cool touch that took it to 11. Already missing it.

Girlfriend thinks she's Ansel Adams so I don't take many photos myself. Fine with me, as I'm more than content to just admire the landscape. Here is one phone photo I have, from the oveerlook on the Rio Grande Nature Trail looking towards the Sierra del Carmen at sunset. I'll hopefully share a few more once she shorts through her shots.

cd0a5ca3fe7c03871b5960cc6dd9b73e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Just got back today.  The flowers were awesome.  Our highlights were an overnight backpack up into the Chisos and an overnight raft trip. We had 2 families, each with a 6 and 9 year old.  We hiked in ~4 miles and dropped off gear at the campsite in Laguna Meadow (#2-huge site, plenty of room for a big group, and right below Emory Peak), then did the 5 mile round trip to the South Rim in one day and hiked out the next day.  We were so proud of the kids.  My wife and I hiked it ~13 years ago, but the entire range had a cloud sitting on it so we never saw a thing.  The view off the rim this time was so worth the effort with the kids (carrying all that water was a bitch).

The raft trip was with Far Flung and went through Colorado and Dark Canyons in the State park.  The outfitter did a great job and we all had so much fun.   We also went across the border to Boquillas, went to the hot spring, hiked the window, went to the Starlight, stayed in the Tipis at Basecamp Terlingua, which were really nice,  and stayed in Marathon a night. 

What a great place to visit.

Edited by Druggist
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

Same, although they do have fires pretty often. I think 2017 was the last big one.
Yeah 1000 acres in 2017...this one moved away from historic sites currently at least and im sure you read the link...firefighters saved a few adobe structures including the Alvino house(oldest one by most guesses)

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, futureman said:

staying in marfa friday and saturday.  we want to take the dogs hiking on saturday.  davis mountains or big bend?  just decided on going out there; nothing is planned.  

Davis is you prefer the dogs to not be eaten by bears. BBNP if you do.

On 5/15/2018 at 10:32 PM, NoRagrets said:

Marfa Burrito was legit but didn't hold a candle to Alicia's in Alpine where I stopped for lunch on the way back home. Big thank you for that recommendation. Note- they only take CASH. Same for food shark.

Alicia’s is so awesome.  Damn I wish I could have some of their green chile enchiladas today.

spacer.png

Edited by MalibuSheriff
  • Like 1

On 8/22/2019 at 10:37 AM, MalibuSheriff said:

Alicia’s is so awesome.  Damn I wish I could have some of their green chile enchiladas today.

spacer.png

Indeed. We stopped there once on a recc from the other site and now hit it every time through

• 1 month later...

Bump to the top:

Have never been to Big Bend - so I just want to do some exploring, nothing crazy as far as 4x4 or big hikes.   Just a first time, 50 something year old by himself look around.

I am going Thursday Nov 7th (I can be there around noon)  and leaving sunday.

Have 4x4 truck but just a plain f150 no lift or anything special.    I have a bed tent, so will just sleep in that.

Where should I camp?   I am fine staying in a motel on Thursday night if i am arriving too late on thursday -

What should I do. - must sees etc. (would like to maybe go into mexico).  

TIA

Bump to the top:
Have never been to Big Bend - so I just want to do some exploring, nothing crazy as far as 4x4 or big hikes.   Just a first time, 50 something year old by himself look around.
Have 4x4 truck but just a plain f150 no lift or anything special.    I have a bed tent, so will just sleep in that.
Where should I camp?   I am fine staying in a motel on Thursday night if i am arriving too late on thursday -
TIA

The only place to cross into mexico is the boquillas crossing(bring your passport).

Santa Elena canyon is a must and not really a hike.

The window trail in chisos mountains is 6 miles roundtrip. Not sure what your nothing crazy limit is. It will be downhill at start and uphill on the way back but nothing like a steep incline

Also plan on finishing a few nights soaking in the natural hot springs its a short 1.1 mile roundtrip from the parking lot

Also make plan to stay up and stargaze once as it is a listed dark park and very far away from any ambient light sources. Last time i was lucky enough to see a meteor light up the sky with a huge flash of green.
  • Like 1

On 10/1/2019 at 2:18 PM, Mr. Drummond said:

Bump to the top:

TIA

Lost mine trail, Santa Elena canyon. If you have a high clearance vehicle, pick a Pine canyon campsite and stay there. #4 and #2 are personal favorites. Did it in a stock Tacoma. 

Bone is right, we took pics with our cellphone of the Milky Way and video’d an ISS transit. 

enjoy paradise.

• Like 1

Pine Canyon was also my favorite camping spot when we went. I think we were in #3 maybe. We did fine in just a regular 2x4 F150 getting to the site, so no worries there. Definitely hit up the backcountry campsites, though. Much better than being stacked up together. The Lost Mine Trail is one of the most popular trails for a reason. It's relatively short, but gains a pretty good bit of elevation. Bring something to eat or maybe coffee in a thermos to sit at the top end enjoy the scenery. It's pretty windy and chilly at the top, so bring appropriate clothes as well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gecko said:

Could a Subaru Outback make it to Pine Canyon?  I have the V6 variety so slightly higher clearance than the mom car version.

Its possible. I'd make sure you have tires you trust, I shredded a Cooper AT on the road to access Pine Canyon road.

My brother bought an outback with plans to take it to PC, but he hasn't made it out there yet.

• 1 month later...
On 11/12/2019 at 4:18 PM, dlatin said:

We are heading out for our first visit the weekend before Thanksgiving.  This thread has me pretty pumped.  We planned it so we would be there during a nearly new moon.

Good call on planning it around the moon phase. Hope the skies are clear for you. Remember to take plenty of pictures and post them here.