Big Bend - Alpine - Marfa - Fort Davis

great shots, y'all.  glad I missed it, tbh.  we were out there during the govt shutdown, a couple years ago.  experienced ice fog for the first time.  that was enough.  couldn't overnight in the NP, so day-tripped it from BBRSP.  

mix of shots from Ft Davis and BBRSP.

frozen-fogged Davis Mts, looking north from Marfa.

image.thumb.jpeg.df92e1a65a6de00aba4939989515be59.jpeg

spacer.png

image.thumb.jpeg.905663a79b4a910aa3e3dd17b8c4c78b.jpeg

spacer.png

my sleeping gear in BBRSP.  ENO car-camping hammock rig worked pretty well (wife bought them on close-out from REI for my birthday).  kids got the tent.

spacer.png

image.thumb.jpeg.d3e2be7f8d374e622371a5b75ba390ea.jpeg

outside the Holland Hotel, on the way there.

image.thumb.jpeg.3f32eec173abbcd006d8664de1934782.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

My mistake, it is indeed part of the State Park.  I was thinking National Park and that aspect escaped me.  That said, there is no entrance to pass nor fee to pay to partake in a Fandango to dig up...uhhhh...I mean, stand in front of DOM.

I have 3 new destinations on my hiking list. If any of you have any info it would be appreciated. I know some of this would be stuff that probably shouldn't be posted where any goof could google it.

1. There are some "sites" between the Fossil Exhibits and McKinney Springs along Tornillo Creek. A friend has given me some clues, but I have some questions.

2. Camp Neville. I think you head to it from Grapevine Hills campsites 2 and 3. Is the trail marked or do I need to use a topo?

3. How tough is the Apache Canyon Trail? And the trail that goes just beyond that?

Thanks.

I have 3 new destinations on my hiking list. If any of you have any info it would be appreciated. I know some of this would be stuff that probably shouldn't be posted where any goof could google it.
1. There are some "sites" between the Fossil Exhibits and McKinney Springs along Tornillo Creek. A friend has given me some clues, but I have some questions.
2. Camp Neville. I think you head to it from Grapevine Hills campsites 2 and 3. Is the trail marked or do I need to use a topo?
3. How tough is the Apache Canyon Trail? And the trail that goes just beyond that?
Thanks.

I have also been researching these “sites”. I have studied the available geological maps heavily, but I’m no expert. I had a few areas possibly pointed out that I wanted to check, but reading some other stuff this past week has me doubting that somewhat now. Maybe we can collaborate.

Camp Neville Springs is near the large Cottonwood tree in the area due East of GH2/3. I haven’t been yet, but I know where it is. Definitely not a marked trail.

I don’t really know anything about Apache Canyon.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/11/2021 at 5:25 PM, Blackcat00 said:

Played ball in Alpine a few times. Great area to hike and a ton of history during the right time of the year. 

High school playoffs or what? Did you play in that old ball park they have there next to the high school? A few summers ago, I caught a couple of minor league baseball games there (Alpine Cowboys or Big Bend Cowboys I don't remember vs the Roswell Aliens IIRC). Great place to watch crappy baseball.

As for the movie, being stuck in Marfa with a bunch of hipsters is scary enough.

6 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

High school playoffs or what? Did you play in that old ball park they have there next to the high school? A few summers ago, I caught a couple of minor league baseball games there (Alpine Cowboys or Big Bend Cowboys I don't remember vs the Roswell Aliens IIRC). Great place to watch crappy baseball.

As for the movie, being stuck in Marfa with a bunch of hipsters is scary enough.

College. Yes played at Kokernot the old minor league stadium. Ton of history with Satchel Paige and a few others playing there in the 50's. 

• 2 weeks later...