Big XII Tourn. Semifinal: Texas v. Kansas

Guest Lobo

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

I wonder how many teams get free passes in the NCAA tournament? It's gonna happen.

1 minute ago, Horn80 said:

They should shut the conference tourney down now.

Just go ahead and advance Ohio State to the Final Four. They're obviously one of the best 4 teams in the country.

• Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

If Baylor advances to the finals, maybe one of our guys can get a "false positive" or something so we can skip tomorrow and focus on the real tournament.

Any team that gets positive tests after tomorrow is DQed from March Madness, so let's not hope for this.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I wonder what all of this does to the odds on lower seeds in the tournament. You have to think that every underdog has their chances go up by 5% in each round because of a possible COVID positive on the favorite.

On single game action I would assume a forfeiture results in a push. It might affect some futures lines, though. Some of it is obviously cancelled out since it can go both ways.

dave chappelle blouses GIF

I'm glad we didn't play KU earlier, and have them infect our team just before the big dance. I'm sure OU now has the 'Rona ,but won't actually start getting positive tests until next Wednesday or so, and then they'll get removed from the tourney.

Oh well. That's what you get for sucking, OU.

1 hour ago, Bitterwhiteguy said:

Any team that gets positive tests after tomorrow is DQed from March Madness, so let's not hope for this.

This is not necessarily 100% correct. Apparently it's a little more complicated.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/ncaa/what-does-virginias-positive-coronavirus-test-mean-ncaa-tournament

According to Dan Gavitt, the NCAA's senior vice president for basketball, each team will only need five players at minimum to be eligible to play.

[E]ven if they were to be compromised in some way, if they have those five players, they still should have the opportunity to compete rather than be replaced [...] If they fall below the threshold of five, of course they would not be able to play by playing rule, nor by tournament protocols."

Schools have to inform the NCAA if they can meet the tournament protocols by Saturday evening, according to RTD's David Teel.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, MotownHorn said:

He was never getting fired this year at this point. We’re gonna be a 3 seed and top 10 or close 

JFC

Probably, although a first round loss to a 14 seed might make things interesting. That would make a grand total of 0 NCAA tourney wins in six years. 

2 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Probably, although a first round loss to a 14 seed might make things interesting. That would make a grand total of 0 NCAA tourney wins in six years. 

With our luck Shaka will have forfeited his way to a final four. Extension time, baby!!!

8 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

Why doesn’t the NCAA simple have a week between the conference tournaments and big dance? Seems like such a simple solution 

Because the conferences wanted the tv money from both the rescheduled games AND the conference tournament.

The NCAA should have told them to pick one or the other.  You can make up games missed due to COVID from the regular season and we will recognize your regular season winner as the auto-bid OR have a conference tournament and don't make up games.  Teams should have either been on their way to or already in Indy and bubbling up for the tournament.

So much stupidity. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

If this keeps up, we will meet ourselves in the finals.

Holy shit, there's two of me.  

Yeah, I really don't know what advantage there is to playing Saturday night.  I guess, yeah we could pull of an upset against Baylor and move to a more favorable 3-seed, but I think tonight was really the only needle-mover.  IF we're honest, we probably lose to Baylor tomorrow night and just get a shittier #3 seed, falling behind Kansas for some reason.  

Wins over Kansas AND Baylor would have probably got us in the conversation for the last #2 seed.  But just Baylor still keeps us at #3 and a blowout could bump us down to the shittest #3, even a #4.  Might be kinda nice to go from last night, Thursday to next Saturday with no games and time to heal up.  Sure, that'd normally be called "rust" in most college hoops seasons but not this one...half the teams are doing the same shit or are already eliminated and the whole Big Dance is starting two days later than usual.  

1 hour ago, MotownHorn said:

He was never getting fired this year at this point. We’re gonna be a 3 seed and top 10 or close 

JFC

My fear is that we'll make the Sweet 16 then get bounced by a 1 or 2 seed.  Then we lose everybody meaningful from this year's team and next year we go like 10-22, and CDC's like, "Well, we just made the Sweet 16, so we're sticking with Shaka."  Even though Chris Beard or half a dozen other coaches would've taken this roster to the Final Four and anyone with a pulse would have more than two touney wins in seven freaking years at UT.