South Carolina @ Texas Series Thread

Horny Bull

Credit where it's due, these guys got dropped to the mat in the first 3 games and got right back up and started swinging.

I still think this offensive what-have-you is gonna bite us in the ass when conference starts.

Hope I'm wrong.

Cam had a bad weekend defensively but he's been good previously. I don't know if it's enough to let someone else get a start though. If he has another bad weekend, it might be worth putting him at DH for a game or two.

15 runs in a weekend series against a good team isn't too bad offense. I hope we do better against Baylor. We managed to come out of this pre-conference season in contention for better things but here is where it gets real, as our basketball team shows year after year.

Still have Rio Grande little brother, got to take care of them.

That's a precarious data point to hang onto given how and when those runs happened.

****Having said that*****, what is less of a data point and more of a "eyeball test" positive is that in clutch situations these guys showed some shit at the plate and on the bases.

They need to improve a metric shit-ton, but they've shown signs of having taken a step or two.

The team still has a bit of a hitting problem, although the bats looked better in spurts so hopefully they continue to get more consistent. But one of my biggest takeaways from this weekend was the execution of small ball. They were successful more times than not—there were even a couple of perfect bunts that ended up being infield singles**chefs kiss**. I think South Carolina is overall a good ball club, they had plenty of missed opportunities but give Texas credit there. 

I don’t think there’s an issue with Cam at defense just yet. He’s made more great plays than errors and having a couple bad games does not mean we need to be looking at another guy. RGV is a good opportunity for him to get back on top of thing's before heading to Waco. 

2 hours ago, Cajun said:

That's a precarious data point to hang onto given how and when those runs happened.

****Having said that*****, what is less of a data point and more of a "eyeball test" positive is that in clutch situations these guys showed some shit at the plate and on the bases.

They need to improve a metric shit-ton, but they've shown signs of having taken a step or two.

Yep. Every game they’re improving just enough. Really like what I’m seeing. We may fuck around and win the conference 

• Hook 'Em 2

Stevens really impressed me, as did Kubichek, considering that ridiculous strike zone. With Hansen coming along and Witt able to give us extending innings, starting pitching is shaping up.  I thought Quintanilla looked good yesterday as well and was a bit surprised we didn't leave him out there for the 9th, but in hindsight I like the fact that Nixon had to struggle through that last inning.  I hope Hansen can go 5 or 6 tomorrow and we can get some other guys some innings.

Hitting-wise, we're making progress.  Team OPS increased from .723 to .769 last week.  Still pretty blah, but we saw some very good pitchers over the weekend.  Zubia, Faltine, Hodo, DJ, Cam and Melendez have an OPS of at least .855, and Daly is heading that way quickly.  The only question in the line up now seems to be who's going to DH (Melendez/Powell/DJ).  Powell needs some ABs against RHPs.

• Hook 'Em 1