Abilene Christian talk

shadow_operative

5 hours ago, 'stache said:

I went to elementary school with a kid whose last name was Fagg. We knew it was funny but not quite how serious at the time. Can’t imagine what his middle and high school was like.

My 4th grade teacher's name was Miss Fagg.  Holy hell, even in 4th grade we knew that was bad and subject to ridicule.  She was a crappy teacher also, worst I ever had in school.

Edited by CycleTex87

35 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

My 4th grade teacher's name was Miss Fagg.  Holy hell, even in 4th grade we knew that was bad and subject to ridicule.  She was a crappy teacher also, worst I ever had in school.

Well, if your name was Fagg, you'd probably suck, too.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I wonder if we got a jump on a day of practice due to winning our conference championship. We've seen the NCAA offered to fly out tourney championship winners basically immediately, I think the at-larges might have gotten there/planned to get to Indy a day later. 

10 minutes ago, Teryor said:

I wonder if we got a jump on a day of practice due to winning our conference championship. We've seen the NCAA offered to fly out tourney championship winners basically immediately, I think the at-larges might have gotten there/planned to get to Indy a day later. 

Think I read that autobids were supposed to travel Sat and early Sun, at-larges checked in late Sun. and Mon.  

I know all about ACU.  I went there for a year.  The girls there are finally out from under their parents' thumbs and have a tendency to go wild.  You just got to be there to catch them when they fall.  It's beautiful.  I once fucked a girl in the library on campus in one of the study rooms.  It was great!

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I know ACU is a super trendy, sexy pick because of their defensive metrics, but just because you hit a lot of threes against and turned over SFA, UIW, Lamar, Houston Baptist,, TAMUCC, etc. all season long doesn't mean you are going to do the same against Texas.  They only shot 35% overall against Tech and only shot 23% on threes against Arkansas.  Tech was missing McCullar early in the year and McClung shot 1-11 in that game  Tech went to the line 37 times (37-9 in FT attempts).  Arkansas went 30 times (30-15 in FT attempts). 

I think we cover the 8 or 9 points easily. They will struggle to contain Sims and Kai Jones and Coleman will drive and go to the line a lot.  Ramey will do....things.  I hope AJ1 finds his stroke. 

Texas teams of the past have lost games like this - some ugly losses in Shaka's tenure to teams like Radford and UTA and Kent State.  And one possession wins against Middle Tennessee State and McNeese. 

The sample size is smaller this year due to COVID, but this is a different team.  

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Underdog said:

Isn't AC where Clint Mad Bomber Longley played?  

Confirmed:

https://weirdacu.wordpress.com/2008/12/27/acus-most-famous-alum/

The 1974 PP offers a brief glimpse of Cobb on the championship football team, a full back overshadowed by names like future Cowboy QB Clint Longley and Eagles running back Wilbert Montgomery...

...“Randall “Tex” Cobb, a former kickboxer and football player at Abilene Christian, once was suspended from the team when the coach saw him, clad only in jockstrap, standing on a dormitory roof. He had an English crossbow and was shooting flaming arrows at another dorm, screaming: “Get ready to die.”

• Like 1

On 3/15/2021 at 10:49 AM, 956 Worldwide said:

Joe Golding, ACU HC, got a $1,000 bonus in 2019 for getting the Wildcats to the tournament.

Love March Madness and the different planets all these teams are inhabiting.

Do you think he took it in large bills or 20's?  Hope he didn't spend it all in one place.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Js1 said:

I know ACU is a super trendy, sexy pick because of their defensive metrics, but just because you hit a lot of threes against and turned over SFA, UIW, Lamar, Houston Baptist,, TAMUCC, etc. all season long doesn't mean you are going to do the same against Texas.  They only shot 35% overall against Tech and only shot 23% on threes against Arkansas.  Tech was missing McCullar early in the year and McClung shot 1-11 in that game  Tech went to the line 37 times (37-9 in FT attempts).  Arkansas went 30 times (30-15 in FT attempts). 

I think we cover the 8 or 9 points easily. They will struggle to contain Sims and Kai Jones and Coleman will drive and go to the line a lot.  Ramey will do....things.  I hope AJ1 finds his stroke. 

Texas teams of the past have lost games like this - some ugly losses in Shaka's tenure to teams like Radford and UTA and Kent State.  And one possession wins against Middle Tennessee State and McNeese. 

The sample size is smaller this year due to COVID, but this is a different team.  

Yep. And Sims and Coleman aren’t gonna let us lose. They’re letting their nuts hang, bitch 

I'd just like to point out that Texas's free throw defense continues to be exemplary--49th in the country out of over 300 teams with a miss rate of nearly 32 percent.

The coaching staff clearly emphasizes free throw defense; it's a part of their philosophy, and it's paying dividends.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 3/18/2021 at 11:01 AM, Js1 said:

Different team, same coach, same result. Unforgivable.

Just now, Henry Hill said:

Different team, same coach, same result. Unforgivable.

I’d neg myself if I could. Shaka is the great equalizer. Sims should and would have had 30 points under a competent coach 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

I'd just like to point out that Texas's free throw defense continues to be exemplary--49th in the country out of over 300 teams with a miss rate of nearly 32 percent.

The coaching staff clearly emphasizes free throw defense; it's a part of their philosophy, and it's paying dividends.

This was funny when you posted it.  Not so much with how this one ended.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

This was funny when you posted it.  Not so much with how this one ended.  

I like to tilt at windmills.

Stats are important, and they can definitely reveal trends, strengths, weaknesses, etc., but in some cases--such as "free-throw defense"--shit just happens, man.

11 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

He’s a friend of mine.  He’s a great guy

So who is going to grab him? ACU was the worst basketball school in D1 when he took over.  Trying to build something at a CoC town in West Texas where you have to go to chapel and your freshman year there’s an 11 PM curfew is a crazy job. And he’s won 20 plus games three straight years.  I know he’s an ACU guy but you have to figure a school with real resources is gonna come calling. 

Good call

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Both Tacos said:
On 3/19/2021 at 1:21 AM, Fletch said:
Yep. And Sims and Coleman aren’t gonna let us lose. They’re letting their nuts hang, bitch 

Nope, the whole team was in on that effort.

The fuck? Really odd thing to argue. Did the rest of the team play great against okie state? Yes. But Sims and Coleman had one of the best games of their careers that day

The fuck? Really odd thing to argue. Did the rest of the team play great against okie state? Yes. But Sims and Coleman had one of the best games of their careers that day
Not really arguing.
If Sims and Coleman aren't in a groove it seems the rest of the team follows. Nobody else to step up and take control of the game. Fuck all it would have taken was someone to lockdown so ball control on the offensive side for just half of the time we screwed up and it would have been a W.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Both Tacos said:

Not really arguing.
If Sims and Coleman aren't in a groove it seems the rest of the team follows. Nobody else to step up and take control of the game. Fuck all it would have taken was someone to lockdown so ball control on the offensive side for just half of the time we screwed up and it would have been a W.

Gotcha. Sorry for the misunderstanding and yeah we live and die with Coleman and Sims. If they’re not feeling it and we’re facing a 2-3 zone, we’re so fucked. Shaka can’t manufacture points to save his fucking life