bracket survivor contest?

HornOnTheBayou

Didn't someone here run a survivor contest for March Madness where you have to pick the straight-up winner for one game a day? I remember entering a couple of times, but I can't remember who ran it. It was a fun alternative to the usual bracket contest and got really tough during the Elite 8 when you used most of your good picks up already.

OK, let's do our part to help the economy by making the entry $50. 

Here are the details:

1) The pool is at https://www.tournamentpools.com/pools.cfm?poolid=182847&p=2&pwd=p9nrt5. If you're asked for a passcode, it's p9nrt5.

2) You must pick one team each day (not round) of the tournament (straight-up, not against the spread). If your team wins, you move to the next day. If they lose, you're out. Once you use a team, you cannot use them again the rest of the tournament. So be careful using those high seeds in the early rounds. The only exception to the "one team, one day" rule is for the Elite 8. You can pick both Saturday games or both Sunday games if you want, but you must pick 2 of those 4 games if you're still alive at that point.

3) The deadline to pick games is 11:00 AM each day for the first two days. For later rounds, I'll set the deadline at the start of the earliest game.

4) The site has a rule that if a game is canceled, you do not get credit for a win even if the team you picked advances. Because of that, you have the option of making a back-up pick. The back-up pick will only be used if your first pick's game gets canceled. 

5) PM me for payment info. I can take paypal or venmo. Please send me $51 to cover the $1/entry pool fee.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

OK, let's do our part to help the economy by making the entry $50. 

Here are the details:

1) The pool is at https://www.tournamentpools.com/pools.cfm?poolid=182847&p=2&pwd=p9nrt5. If you're asked for a passcode, it's p9nrt5.

2) You must pick one team each day (not round) of the tournament (straight-up, not against the spread). If your team wins, you move to the next day. If they lose, you're out. Once you use a team, you cannot use them again the rest of the tournament. So be careful using those high seeds in the early rounds. The only exception to the "one team, one day" rule is for the Elite 8. You can pick both Saturday games or both Sunday games if you want, but you must pick 2 of those 4 games if you're still alive at that point.

3) The deadline to pick games is 11:00 AM each day for the first two days. For later rounds, I'll set the deadline at the start of the earliest game.

4) The site has a rule that if a game is canceled, you do not get credit for a win even if the team you picked advances. Because of that, you have the option of making a back-up pick. The back-up pick will only be used if your first pick's game gets canceled. 

5) PM me for payment info. I can take paypal or venmo. Please send me $51 to cover the $1/entry pool fee.

I'm in, PM sent. I assume this is winner take all?

I’m in. I don’t have pay pal I don’t think and I’m on the road- can I pay later? 
Also- how aggressive I get will probably depend upon amount of entries in the pool, I guess. I guess the winner is basically the only guy who doesn’t run out of usable picks? 

31 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I’m in. I don’t have pay pal I don’t think and I’m on the road- can I pay later? 
Also- how aggressive I get will probably depend upon amount of entries in the pool, I guess. I guess the winner is basically the only guy who doesn’t run out of usable picks? 

I've been thinking about that too, because I'm also doing a pool that has over 100 people in it. I think my strategy for that one is going to have to be different than this one. Just can't figure it out right now.

• Hook 'Em 1

So just game planning this out in my head- 

If you are in the elite 8 and you have all your picks available (and you have to Gabe all your picks available more or less to make it work) you basically have to win both games with the teams you then will have losing in the final 4. To add a little degree of

difficulty to that- in the final 4 you then only get to pick the team you anticipate loses in the final game. 

Yikes- this is extremely extremely hard to make it through every round. Like way harder I think than NFL survivor picks in the late rounds. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

Yes, very difficult and pretty unlikely honestly.

Big one I've done in years past had like 2500 entries in 2019 and only one entry had a pick available for the final game (which was UVA). Eight others correctly picked thru the Final Four but had no teams remaining to select for the final. The previous year I think it was a pot split post-Final4 with no remaining picks for the NCG.

At $50 per entry, somebody scored big in 2019. Also some people go crazy with 20+ entries. Always fun to see the game they loaded up on go bust.

Edited by LonghornSean

3 hours ago, Sgt. Slaughter said:

Pick Tennessee, I said. Oregon State won’t be able to get open 3’s, I said.

3 hours ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Looking back, it might have been a bad idea to entrust my survivor pick to a Rick Barnes-coached team. Oh well. 

I have to assume this is the first time either of you have watched the tourney. Somehow I missed this thread so I didn't enter, but my #1 rule in this type of contest would be never ever, fucking ever pick a Barnes coached team. 

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

I have to assume this is the first time either of you have watched the tourney. Somehow I missed this thread so I didn't enter, but my #1 rule in this type of contest would be never ever, fucking ever pick a Barnes coached team. 

They played an Oregon State team who the tourney selection committee forgot had a basketball program. I’m not convinced all of those guys played at OSU prior to today.

• Hook 'Em 1