Maine in summer?

Hawndoh

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We are leaving tomorrow for York, ME. Pulling a u-haul with a bunch of tools leftover from my Dad's shop. Gonna divvy them up with my brother and his kids. It will be a quick trip out with a stop at the AF Museum in Dayton and Saratoga.  Thanks to @Underdog for the suggestion. Taking our time on the way home with stops in DC, Norfolk and Louisville.

• 7 months later...

Bumping for this summer.

I'm making my way through these recommendations, and those in this thread: 

But also fielding additional recommendations. We'd be traveling in mid-July for 6-7 days.

We're considering starting in Boston, then making our way to Acadia, but open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance

47 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

But also fielding additional recommendations. We'd be traveling in mid-July for 6-7 days.

We're considering starting in Boston, then making our way to Acadia, but open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance

Start in Boston only if you really want to.  It's a two and a half hour drive just to get to Portland.  Do whatever you were going to do in Boston but do it in Portland.  Only start in Boston if it has exclusive activities you can't do in Portland.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Noted. I'm a bit torn on that. Never been to Boston and want to do the Freedom Trail, but willing to save it for another time if necessary.

Based on the recs here, I think we're covered for food.

Any suggestions for particular hikes, outdoor activities, etc? Ex:

On 6/18/2021 at 10:13 PM, Your Mom said:

i’m headed up there next week with my oldest son. But fuck eating lobsters right OFF the boat. That’s for for the commoners. We’re going out on a boat trip to pull them up from the traps and eat the lobsters right ON the boat.  

Did you have a good experience with this? Would you recommend the company?

Edited by KYHorn

Noted. I'm a bit torn on that. Never been to Boston and want to do the Freedom Trail, but willing to save it for another time if necessary.
Based on the recs here, I think we're covered for food.
Any suggestions for particular hikes, outdoor activities, etc? Ex:
Did you have a good experience with this? Would you recommend the company?

Boston is absolutely worth a couple of days if you have never been. The Freedom Trail is really terrific if you enjoy US history at all.
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, PRONG HORN said:

Start in Boston only if you really want to.  It's a two and a half hour drive just to get to Portland.  Do whatever you were going to do in Boston but do it in Portland.  Only start in Boston if it has exclusive activities you can't do in Portland.  

Good advice. You will not believe how far shit is away up there. There aren't a lot of straight roads because of the topography. 

But if you've never been to Boston you've got to do it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

If you are heading up from Boston, I’d definitely recommend a night in Portsmouth, NH along the way. Very historic, walkable, small city with plenty of good restaurants and pubs. 

Portland is the biggest city but small by national standards, I still like it a lot. The Portland Head Lighthouse park, a fun downtown, and you can take a ferry trip to Peaks Island for a half day trip. 

Freeport is worth visiting just for the LL Bean HQ/compound of stores. 

On the way up the coast on US 1, I can recommend stops in the small towns of Brunswick, Bath, and Damariscotta. Camden is probably the most bougie town in the state (maybe Kennebunkport) and is worth visiting. My one experience in Bar Harbor and Acadia in the summer was that BH is way too touristy - lots of crappy T-shirt shops and low end souvenirs and restaurants. Acadia was beautiful but the traffic was wall to wall which really ruined the experience. 

Finally, if you aren’t a Stephen King fan, there’s not much to recommend in Bangor. If you are, particularly the Derry books, it’s a surreal experience going there. 

Enjoy!

• Hook 'Em 1

Sun is out from like 430am to 9pm or some shit in the summer, I was there in the summer for work a few years back and that early sunrise stood out. Portland is cool. Lobster rolls were good. Beautiful nature. As mentioned above everything is spread out, but if you’re from a major city in Texas it’s the same amount of time in the car just longer distances with little traffic.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, Duane Moore said:

My one experience in Bar Harbor and Acadia in the summer was that BH is way too touristy - lots of crappy T-shirt shops and low end souvenirs and restaurants. Acadia was beautiful but the traffic was wall to wall which really ruined the experience.

I keep hearing that about BH. We found a BnB just off the island in a small town, so I'm hoping that allows for a more authentic feel. Can't resist the chance to see Acadia, but any recommendations for places to see, hikes, that may hit that sweet spot between appealing/beautiful and not overcrowded are welcome.

On 4/17/2022 at 4:35 PM, KYHorn said:

Any recommendations for AirBnBs in or around Acadia, Boston, or Portland? We'll probably do some hotels and some AirBnBs. Open to suggestions.

Boston - It really depends on what you want to do. I recommend staying in the city as it gives you the most flexibility.

Portland - I recommend a regular B&B. Get the full experience, then drive in to the town during the day.

Acadia/Bar Harbor -Anywhere. The place was great when we went a few years ago.

Also @Duane Moore is right - at least stop in Portsmouth, you won't regret it.

What are your stay times in each area?

How are you getting around? My recommendation, don't rent a car in Boston, use the T to get around. When you head to Maine, get the car then and head straight out. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Captain Ron said:

Boston - It really depends on what you want to do. I recommend staying in the city as it gives you the most flexibility.

Portland - I recommend a regular B&B. Get the full experience, then drive in to the town during the day.

Acadia/Bar Harbor -Anywhere. The place was great when we went a few years ago.

Also @Duane Moore is right - at least stop in Portsmouth, you won't regret it.

What are your stay times in each area?

How are you getting around? My recommendation, don't rent a car in Boston, use the T to get around. When you head to Maine, get the car then and head straight out. 

Very helpful, thanks. 

@Duane Moore and @Captain Ron, what are the highlights I need to hit in Portsmouth?

We are renting the car in the Boston airport because I got a great deal so an extra day or so is only $50 and doesn't require us to travel to a car rental location on Day 2.

We're basically doing 1.5-2 days in each place. Here's the draft schedule (all tentative at this point):

Day 1 (Sunday): Fly in to Boston, Mamma Maria or Neptune Oyster House for dinner.

Day 2: Freedom Trail, Harbor Boat Tour? Maybe see Harvard & eat at Mikes Pastry

Day 3: Drive to Portland, stop in Portsmouth (Ogunquit Lobster Pound along the way), OPEN to activities/sights, Eventide for dinner

Day 4: Eastern Cemetery in Portland, Lunch at Duckfat, Portland Activities (perhaps Head Lighthouse Park, ferry trip to Peaks Island, or whale watching?) Fore Street for dinner, Holy Donuts for dessert

Day 5: Drive to Acadia and do any touristy things today to avoid Friday craziness

Day 6 (Friday): Hike Acadia, see Bar Harbor

Day 7: Time for last minute activities/sights, Drive to Portland to fly out by 1pm.

Open to suggestions

Edited by KYHorn

Car - just make sure you have a place to park it when you get here and just know that parking is not cheap (depends on where you stay, but it might be the cost of your extra day).

Portsmouth - hit Market Square and a place to eat (you're idea was good). Maybe something else like the Albacore or the like.
https://www.planetware.com/tourist-attractions-/portsmouth-us-nh-p.htm

The rest of your trip sounds great.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, KYHorn said:

@Duane Moore and @Captain Ron, what are the highlights I need to hit in Portsmouth?

Like the Captain says, I’d park somewhere near Market Square and just poke around the downtown, it’s not that big. Prescott Park is in walking distance and worth seeing, walk along the old harbor at Tugboat Alley. Sounds like you have lunch and dinner planned, but if you have any room, Popovers on the Square is a solid cafe for brunch/lunch.

Kittery Trading Post just over the border in Maine is an all purpose emporium that is somewhat of a more downscale LL Bean.

If you have time, the Nubble Lighthouse is just off US 1A near York and is a beautiful setting for some pictures. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Jr had his wedding here in Po!and,ME, very nice if it fits your schedule in any way... Very nice people who run it.

https://wolfcoveinn.com/covid-19

Has been mentioned by me and a few others upthread, and although can be a bit touristy but a beautiful view of Maine coastline, but Lobster Shack is one place I make sure to hit up on every visit and I'm not a huge lobster fan.  A small whale was swimming by when there last time for wedding. 

Love Maine and if not for the granddaughter back in Texas, I'd be tempted to move further North to Maine. 

Edited by Underdog
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 4/19/2022 at 1:02 PM, Duane Moore said:

Like the Captain says, I’d park somewhere near Market Square and just poke around the downtown, it’s not that big. Prescott Park is in walking distance and worth seeing, walk along the old harbor at Tugboat Alley. Sounds like you have lunch and dinner planned, but if you have any room, Popovers on the Square is a solid cafe for brunch/lunch.

Kittery Trading Post just over the border in Maine is an all purpose emporium that is somewhat of a more downscale LL Bean.

If you have time, the Nubble Lighthouse is just off US 1A near York and is a beautiful setting for some pictures. 

There's a pretty damned good lobster place near the Nubble Lighthouse that I would recommend over Ogunquit.

• 4 months later...

Sunday River golf course was hard AF.  Nice resort that is definitely on the upswing.  They are doing a ton of new construction.  Ski layout looks awesome.  They need some summer dining options at the resorts.  I think next time we will do more coastal time and try to find golf in that area.  We met some folks from Boston who said they just invested in some real estate there and one major draw was "there aren't a lot of New Yorkers"