So, back to that legalization thing

Longhorn_Fan68

https://www.marijuanamoment.net/senate-schedules-marijuana-hearing-in-committee-chaired-by-cory-booker-with-legalization-bill-set-to-drop-any-day/

our old, crusty, and out of touch from reality senate is going to talk about marijuana reform.  This should be interesting. Queue the John cornyn speaking with reports from 2001 saying that smoking weed makes you violent, kill people, and a total threat to society as we know it.

Well since the GOP wants to take our legal system for women's freedom to the early 1920's they should do the same for weed.  As it was legal until 1916...Of course marijuana was made illegal because of fears of... you guessed it... Mexican citizens.  According to history.comWhy the US made Marijuana illegal? Fear of Mexican Immigrants

26 minutes ago, horn4life said:

Well since the GOP wants to take our legal system for women's freedom to the early 1920's they should do the same for weed.  As it was legal until 1916...Of course marijuana was made illegal because of fears of... you guessed it... Mexican citizens.  According to history.comWhy the US made Marijuana illegal? Fear of Mexican Immigrants

is there any part of US history not steeped in abject racism? wait, don't answer that...

• Like 2

The two things that should be slam dunks are for some reason the hardest for Biden to move on: (a min. of) $10k student loan forgiveness and a federal legalization (or a min. of decriminalization) of marijuana. Is it because he's an old white guy with the attendant baggage of being a white male who lived and participated in the white male culture of the 50's and such?

1 minute ago, Vegas64 said:

The two things that should be slam dunks are for some reason the hardest for Biden to move on: (a min. of) $10k student loan forgiveness and a federal legalization (or a min. of decriminalization) of marijuana. Is it because he's an old white guy with the attendant baggage of being a white male who lived and participated in the white male culture of the 50's and such?

yup. those aren't even dem policies. they're both supported by a majority of americans. I have no idea why Biden hasn't made them happen. Maybe waiting till closer to midterms? I dunno. 

1 hour ago, Vegas64 said:

I hope he’s waiting until later 2023 to give him a boost before his re-election campaign, but it is odd. Both of these policies seem like no brainers to me.

Fucking shit, with the attention span of voters these days?

I’d wait till 7 days before the election and drop the $10,000 loan forgiveness and 5 days before drop some weed EO.

This country can’t stay happy or mad about any one thing for longer than week.

Announcing either of those things now would mean absolutely jackshit come November.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

3 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Y’all think Biden actually will do this? I think y’all are giving him and his handlers too much credit. Hopefully I am wrong.

There’s a huge difference on the democrat party spectrum which still exists that basically is between Joe manchin and AOC. Biden is one of the few old school democrats left and I just don’t see him doing anything to bring marijuana into the 21st century. Biden has too much old crusty senate in him.

2 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

There’s a huge difference on the democrat party spectrum which still exists that basically is between Joe manchin and AOC. Biden is one of the few old school democrats left and I just don’t see him doing anything to bring marijuana into the 21st century. Biden has too much old crusty senate in him.

Biden was a major force behind locking up black people and crack addicts over bullshit in the 90s. He ain't changed his stripes on MJ. Too much generational inertia to overcome. 

7 hours ago, Vegas64 said:

the loan forgiveness is anything but a slam dunk.  It's bullshit.

Legalization of Marijuana should have happened a long ass time ago.

Take something simple that SHOULD be a slam dunk and attach some horseshit to it.  I hate politics.

Edited by slorch

The political language/proposition just needs to shift. If it just boils down to lobbyist and money, flood the zone. 

Tie it to property tax reductions or some shit. Fuck there are so many angles here. The good ole boys in rural texas east to west smoking and eating the same shit.

Same with fucking gambling. So stupid that we can't see the way forward here.   

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

The House should send over a bill to the Senate after labor day. Make the Republicans in the Senate vote no or filibuster it right up to the election and campaign like hell on it. 

nahfuckthat.gif

there's more politcal karma to be gained from just fucking doing it. stop holding it out there like a fucking carrot. it's another slam-dunk issue that can only drive more people to the D. TWSS

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

The House should send over a bill to the Senate after labor day. Make the Republicans in the Senate vote no or filibuster it right up to the election and campaign like hell on it. 

I'm not sure why Beto doesn't singularize his campaign just a tad on this issue.

• Hook 'Em 7

It's not a big game-changing issue for most people. I think for most, it's a "nice to have" but things like the women's rights, the grid, expanding Medicare, gun control are much more important to focus on.

1 hour ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

nahfuckthat.gif

there's more politcal karma to be gained from just fucking doing it. stop holding it out there like a fucking carrot. it's another slam-dunk issue that can only drive more people to the D. TWSS

Anything lasting and meaningful is going to have to get through the senate, and it's not slam dunk there. Include some CJ reform like clemency and expungement and make these fuckers in tight races vote no and explain their vote on a debate stage. Make Rubio explain his no vote, and let Warnock and Cortez Masto run on their yes vote. Let Herschel Walker mumble something about the devil and white women. It's exactly what Republicans would do if the shoe were on the other foot. Shit, if Mitch thought he could pick up 3-4 senate seats, he might kill the filibuster to pass it. 

• Hook 'Em 5

4 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Let Herschel Walker mumble something about the devil and white women.

"Tijuana is bad and leads to pregnant. I support the D.E.A. Tijuana is a gateway drug to other drug. Bad drugs. Drugs are not good for children. Is this what John Biden means by bill buh butta? D.E.A. spells drugs!"

--Herschel Walker

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 5
  • Rage+1 1

12 minutes ago, Hate said:

Dems had a president photographed smoking weed (at a young age) and the Congress for two years and did absolutely nothing to legalize weed.  The feds on both sides don't care about this unfortunately. 

There aren’t 60 votes so it’s all unfortunately not happening 

3 hours ago, Hate said:

Dems had a president photographed smoking weed (at a young age) and the Congress for two years and did absolutely nothing to legalize weed.  The feds on both sides don't care about this unfortunately. 

The house has tried many many times. The senate is the problem. The Senate is filled with too many old farts who were elected before the 1980’s who will never support legalization. Why we send 70,80, and even 90 year olds to congress is crazy.

I don’t hate old people, but the world changes so much and so quickly that we need mainly younger people in congress who have modern viewpoints and who can adapt to what’s going on in our country easier. These old codgers have no feel for what Americans really want.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

There aren’t 60 votes so it’s all unfortunately not happening 

Then make the Repubs show their hand. Make them filibuster it right before an election. Do it for every Dem policy a super-majority of Americans support. 

Make them own using the filibuster for all the reprehensible shit they believe. 

• Hook 'Em 5

3 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

Why we send 70,80, and even 90 year olds to congress is crazy.

Why do we send them to any position in government??  I would absolutely support capping election criteria to no older than 59 when elected to office. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pods said:

Then make the Repubs show their hand. Make them filibuster it right before an election. Do it for every Dem policy a super-majority of Americans support. 

It’s not just Republicans. I doubt all Dem’s would vote for it. 

The bill to legalize should include a 5% tax on retail sales that funds a salary supplement for public school teachers. It could be paid as part of their income tax refund to keep the states’ filthy paws out of the cookie jar. Make them vote against weed and teachers at the same time.
  • Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

This time their dumb cunt of a governor says she will implement if it passes. We shall see,

She'll find something to overturn it if she gets elected again. I'm holding out hope that with legalization and Noem being on the ballot, the youth vote will turn out, but I highly doubt it because we can't have nice things in this state. 

40 minutes ago, Mango4 said:

She'll find something to overturn it if she gets elected again. I'm holding out hope that with legalization and Noem being on the ballot, the youth vote will turn out, but I highly doubt it because we can't have nice things in this state. 

I feel bad for you. Your governor is so fucking dumb. She’s worse than Abbott and that’s saying something.

• Hook 'Em 1

https://www.marijuanamoment.net/pharmaceutical-industry-suffers-billions-in-losses-after-states-legalize-marijuana-new-study-finds/

fuck big pharma. This study says big pharma loses about $10 billion each time a state legalizes.

It’s ok to use and abuse drugs…just as long as it’s making them and the politicians in their pockets money.