So, back to that legalization thing

Longhorn_Fan68

The funny/ not-funny thing to me is that in society and on this board for sure, we argue about everything.  There is so much common ground around legalization, but NOPE!!!  we gotta be protected.

It's so fucking stupid.

The funny/ not-funny thing to me is that in society and on this board for sure, we argue about everything.  There is so much common ground around legalization, but NOPE!!!  we gotta be protected.
It's so fucking stupid.

Follow the money, just like anything else. By supporting the deescalation of the war on drugs via legalization/decriminalization of weed, one is supporting the core premise of “defund the police”.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Follow the money, just like anything else. By supporting the deescalation of the war on drugs via legalization/decriminalization of weed, one is supporting the core premise of “defund the police”.

This is the OG defund the police shit. 

On 2/8/2023 at 1:14 PM, 'stache said:

Just sat through a forum on Oklahoma SQ 820, with the Tulsa DA on the anti-side and an advocate on the other. All I hear from the DA is nonsense hysterics. The other guy was honest that there are negative externalities that are inevitable, but they are far less than alcohol, and far far far less than opiods and meth, etc., because a mj overdose alone isn't lethal. When the DA was going on and on about the costs of enforcing crimes related to mj, the other guy flat out asked how many domestic violence prosecutions have had alcohol involved and how many mj alone (the forum did not have rebuttal rules so no response). I could hear the mic drop in my head. I've yet to see anyone on the no side honestly address how mj is any worse than alcohol, and if they truly believe it is, why they aren't out campaigning for a new prohibition amendment on alcohol. 

Until it's legal nationally, the rules would almost certainly limit purchases, through licenses or id requirements, to state residents. If a state resident buys and transports it across state lines, that's on them. If a dispensary sells to a person with a Texas license, the presumption would likely arise that it would be illegally transported across state lines. I expect the state marijuana authority to limit that risk, and y'all will just have to keep getting it from Oklahoma friends like now.

I have my doubts on this. I’ve personally bought product from dispensaries in both Washington and Oregon with a Texas drivers license. Why not oklahoma?

8 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

I have my doubts on this. I’ve personally bought product from dispensaries in both Washington and Oregon with a Texas drivers license. Why not oklahoma?

California, Colorado, Washington, Illinois, and Michigan here. Never had an issue showing them my Texas ID

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

Similar.  Have purchased in several states with legal recreational with no problems.  Why can't tourists purchase with intent to consume while in the state?  I don't see why there would be presumption put on the seller that the buyer might illegally transport.   

1 hour ago, Anwar Namtut said:

Same - legal states are more than happy to take out of state tax dollars.

Everytime the governor of Wisconsin sees the governor of Illinois, the Illinois governor thanks him for all the customers his state receives at dispensaries with Wisconsin license plates because the GOP won’t even legalize medical in Wisconsin. The same shit would happen here. Oklahoma would make a killing of Texas money.

Edited by Voldemort86
  • Hook 'Em 1

Probably because it’s medicinal only in OK and and only OK residents are eligible to get sign off from a doctor for their weed card.

15 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Probably because it’s medicinal only in OK and and only OK residents are eligible to get sign off from a doctor for their weed card.

Yeah that’s a totally different situation. When we were up in Massachusetts a couple of years ago it was medicinal-only and we couldn’t buy. Dr. friend who was with us couldn’t write a script since he wasn’t licensed in MA. 

56 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Isn't Oklahoma about to vote on recreational legalization?

Yes.  The opposition is giving the same old tired arguments against it.

I think it'll pass because OK has the highest percentage of residents with a medical marijuana card. They moved into first place in like the first two months of availability, IIRC.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Yes.  The opposition is giving the same old tired arguments against it.

I think it'll pass because OK has the highest percentage of residents with a medical marijuana card. They moved into first place in like the first two months of availability, IIRC.

Another reason it should pass is the election is ONLY about this one issue. There are no congressman, senators, governors, or legislators on the ballot at all.

It seems much more likely people will use up their time, gas, and wait in line trying to vote for something as opposed to showing up just to vote “no” and go home.

Texas high schoolers caught with legal delta 8 vape pens sold at gas stations are getting arrested because the cops can't determine whether the juice contains the legal or illegal form of THC. When in doubt about whether a teenager's conduct is even illegal, I reckon it's always best to arrest them, suspend them from school, and generally try to fuck up their lives with a felony charge. Possible cause is the new probable cause in Texas. 

https://www.texastribune.org/2023/02/22/texas-delta-8-marijuana-hemp-arrests/

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 6

1 hour ago, Hookah Horns said:

Texas high schoolers caught with legal delta 8 vape pens sold at gas stations are getting arrested because the cops can't determine whether the juice contains the legal or illegal form of THC. When in doubt about whether a teenager's conduct is even illegal, I reckon it's always best to arrest them, suspend them from school, and generally try to fuck up their lives with a felony charge. Possible cause is the new probable cause in Texas. 

I got so ragey just now reading that. I wish prominent people with big social media followings would post stories like this with the names and photos of the petty officials involved so that at least there's some public shaming that might deter others.

• Like 1

Don't have vapes at school.

pretty simple to understand, but then the handwringing over arrests and shit.  Meh.  They know they aren't supposed to have it just like we knew we weren't supposed to have booze.

That's just one of the (questionable) laws that brings idiots to light for their stupidity.  Don't bring vapes to school is pretty straight forward, no?  Even with full legalization, it's not going to change the schools equation, especially with regard to minors.

Edited by slorch

1 hour ago, slorch said:

pretty simple to understand, but then the handwringing over arrests and shit.  Meh.  They know they aren't supposed to have it just like we knew we weren't supposed to have booze.

That's just one of the (questionable) laws that brings idiots to light for their stupidity.  Don't bring vapes to school is pretty straight forward, no?  Even with full legalization, it's not going to change the schools equation, especially with regard to minors.

Come back and sell the booze analogy next time a kid gets charged with a second degree state felony for having a flask on campus. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 1

I guess we just have different views on the acceptable amount of government involvement in our lives.
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Orale said:
1 hour ago, slorch said:

I guess we just have different views on the acceptable amount of government involvement in our lives.

With regard to schools and minors, you're probably right.  But a kid inclined to do shit that dumb needs to get acclimated to how things are going to be in their life, right?  It's a little more holistic education than some folks expect, I guess.

Edited by slorch

32 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Come back and sell the booze analogy next time a kid gets charged with a second degree state felony for having a flask on campus. 

Nah.  The point is that the kids fucking know.  You know they know, too.

It's not like they came to school with the wrong fucking notebook.

The situation isn't very compelling at all with regard to the legalization discussion.

Edited by slorch

Just now, slorch said:

Nah.  The point is that the kids fucking know.  You know they know, too.

It's not like they came to school with the wrong fucking notebook.

Nobody is saying that kids should take a vape or booze to school. But maybe let’s just consider that we shouldn’t mark a kid with a second degree state felony for the former. Assuming of course that you do not believe we should be handing out second decree state felonies for every minor in possession of alcohol charge. 

“The kids know!”

wtf man?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

Nobody is saying that kids should take a vape or booze to school. But maybe let’s just consider that we shouldn’t mark a kid with a second degree state felony for the former. Assuming of course that you do not believe we should be handing out second decree state felonies for every minor in possession of alcohol charge. 

“The kids know!”

wtf man?

They are unaware of the vape policies at school?

( Yes I agree the 2nd Degree felony charges are stupid.)

21 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Good. That’s the point. Nobody is arguing that schools should be a discipline free zone. How about just maybe we don’t ruin a kid’s life for a vape or a flask?

We're talking about high school bullies that have grown up and entered the police force and are in positions of authority. They're going to continue to torment and bully their intellectual peers, as they did in their younger years. 

Ruining a kids life is the whole reason they took the job! And maybe the off chance to shoot someone taking a prescription in a school parking lot waiting to pick up a family member and face zero consequences 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

5 hours ago, Hookah Horns said:

This is truly chilling because they could do the same thing to you or me. "Well, the State law is too vague, and we can't really tell the difference, so we're going to arrest you and figure it out down at the station".

Fuck. That. Shit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

What's funny is your right to be a fucking verifiably mentally disturbed person and buy an AR15 to shoot up a school never falls into the "well let's arrest you and we will figure it out later category."  Of course the "real danger" is that vape cartridge you thought was legal.  I guess the only solution to the police abuse would be to carry around the receipt?  But then they would just say, nope, receipt might be fake! Get an attorney and sort it out.... giggle... giggle...

The reason drugs are illegal. Republicans sell fear as their singular most popular product.  Almost all GOP fund raising the last 40 years has been fear based, and drugs fold right into that.  Well... and the original reason for making things like marijuana illegal to begin with... brown people.   

The sad thing is most kids honestly have no fucking idea that the little vape pen the carry is the exact same legally as carrying around 5 POUNDS of marijuana.  They are identical in the eyes of Texas law.  Neither poses the level of danger associated with the level of punishment.  It is honestly nearly impossible to make a coherent argument that the penalty matches the crime when it comes to vape pens.  It is however, a great way for police to routinely abuse their discretion, and ruin lives selectively. 

Shit I think the vape pens are great, but not worth a felony charge.  I wouldn't buy the delta shit simply because I know the police in general are not that bright and the chance of getting fucked over even though in legal possession are simply too likely for me.  

There is a solution PLEASE YOUNG PEOPLE VOTE!!!! SAVE US FROM THE OLDER WHITE RURAL (often racist) MINORITY THE GOP WANT TO RULE THE STATE!

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

This is truly chilling because they could do the same thing to you or me. "Well, the State law is too vague, and we can't really tell the difference, so we're going to arrest you and figure it out down at the station".

Fuck. That. Shit. 

They can't even figure it out down at the station though. It takes months and months to get the crime lab results back, and people have this shit hanging over them that whole time. 

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, horn4life said:

What's funny is your right to be a fucking verifiably mentally disturbed person and buy an AR15 to shoot up a school never falls into the "well let's arrest you and we will figure it out later category."  Of course the "real danger" is that vape cartridge you thought was legal.  I guess the only solution to the police abuse would be to carry around the receipt?  But then they would just say, nope, receipt might be fake! Get an attorney and sort it out.... giggle... giggle...

The reason drugs are illegal. Republicans sell fear as their singular most popular product.  Almost all GOP fund raising the last 40 years has been fear based, and drugs fold right into that.  Well... and the original reason for making things like marijuana illegal to begin with... brown people.   

The sad thing is most kids honestly have no fucking idea that the little vape pen the carry is the exact same legally as carrying around 5 POUNDS of marijuana.  They are identical in the eyes of Texas law.  Neither poses the level of danger associated with the level of punishment.  It is honestly nearly impossible to make a coherent argument that the penalty matches the crime when it comes to vape pens.  It is however, a great way for police to routinely abuse their discretion, and ruin lives selectively. 

Shit I think the vape pens are great, but not worth a felony charge.  I wouldn't buy the delta shit simply because I know the police in general are not that bright and the chance of getting fucked over even though in legal possession are simply too likely for me.  

There is a solution PLEASE YOUNG PEOPLE VOTE!!!! SAVE US FROM THE OLDER WHITE RURAL (often racist) MINORITY THE GOP WANT TO RULE THE STATE!

I use delta 8 and I keep the packaging in the console of my car. Who knows if that's even effective if somehow my cartridge was found, especially if it's some rube rural Texas cop. 

You're spot on about the insane penalties for concentrates and how few people, adults included, even know it's treated differently than the flower weed at all. A couple years ago I was on a road trip with this chick I was seeing when she busted out her dab pen in the car. I had to inform her that I'm not down with risking a felony charge or prison term. She had no idea and had been using it in her car all the time. 

I fucking hate the rural bumpkins of this state so much. Their weedtotaling makes even less sense when you consider most of these bastards live out in the middle of nowhere away from society. How does recreational weed affect them at all? But conservatives love banning shit for other people that doesn't personally affect them at all. They're just all about small government I guess 🙄

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

43 minutes ago, Hookah Horns said:

I'm not sure how you managed to totally miss the issue here. Odd time to pop a personal-responsibility boner. Cops are arresting and charging kids with felonies when they're not even breaking the law, but boo fucking hoo because these kids knew they were violating school policy, right?

Hey, I know, let's arrest every school rule breaker and charge 'em with felonies. The charges won't stick but maybe it'll learn 'em to not break school rules next time! Only a stupid idiot teenager would violate school rules! Cheat on a test, prepare for arrest. No hall pass, cops got your ass. 

Passing notes in class? That's a felony.

That's a paddlin' - Wikisimpsons, the Simpsons Wiki

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Hookah Horns said:

I'm not sure how you managed to totally miss the issue here. Odd time to pop a personal-responsibility boner. Cops are arresting and charging kids with felonies when they're not even breaking the law, but boo fucking hoo because these kids knew they were violating school policy, right?

Hey, I know, let's arrest every school rule breaker and charge 'em with felonies. The charges won't stick but maybe it'll learn 'em to not break school rules next time! Only a stupid idiot teenager would violate school rules! Cheat on a test, prepare for arrest. No hall pass, cops got your ass. 

Slorched

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Orale said:

I got so ragey just now reading that. I wish prominent people with big social media followings would post stories like this with the names and photos of the petty officials involved so that at least there's some public shaming that might deter others.

i mean have you heard of a place called Uvalde?

shame doesn't work on these people.

7 hours ago, Hookah Horns said:

I use delta 8 and I keep the packaging in the console of my car. Who knows if that's even effective if somehow my cartridge was found, especially if it's some rube rural Texas cop. 

You're spot on about the insane penalties for concentrates and how few people, adults included, even know it's treated differently than the flower weed at all. A couple years ago I was on a road trip with this chick I was seeing when she busted out her dab pen in the car. I had to inform her that I'm not down with risking a felony charge or prison term. She had no idea and had been using it in her car all the time. 

I fucking hate the rural bumpkins of this state so much. Their weedtotaling makes even less sense when you consider most of these bastards live out in the middle of nowhere away from society. How does recreational weed affect them at all? But conservatives love banning shit for other people that doesn't personally affect them at all. They're just all about small government I guess 🙄

Every legislative session in Texas veterans storm the capitol hoping to get access to legal medical marijuana because it’s much easier on their bodies then the cocktail of drugs doctors prescribe to help with ptsd or war related injuries. Mothers of children with epilepsy come to the capitol to try and get access to legal marijuana for their children because nothing else has worked.

Overwhelming evidence is presented in favor of the benefits of medical legalization and decriminalizing marijuana, but Dan Patrick listens to the Texas rural sheriffs association who use an outdated report from the early 2000’s that says marijuana will make kids stupid and violent.

nothing fun will pass in Texas until bathroom Dan is gone.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

Every legislative session in Texas veterans storm the capitol hoping to get access to legal medical marijuana because it’s much easier on their bodies then the cocktail of drugs doctors prescribe to help with ptsd or war related injuries. Mothers of children with epilepsy come to the capitol to try and get access to legal marijuana for their children because nothing else has worked.
Overwhelming evidence is presented in favor of the benefits of medical legalization and decriminalizing marijuana, but Dan Patrick listens to the Texas rural sheriffs association who use an outdated report from the early 2000’s that says marijuana will make kids stupid and violent.
Every time I travel I mail gift packages back to veterans that have specific strains they prefer as medicine. It's fucking enraging that they can't reliably get what they need here today because the state they live in. But your average corner store has piles of truly unhealthy drugs that are unregulated. Its barbaric, a return to the past bullshit.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Born to Run said:
1 hour ago, Voldemort86 said:

Every time I travel I mail gift packages back to veterans that have specific strains they prefer as medicine. It's fucking enraging that they can't reliably get what they need here today because the state they live in. But your average corner store has piles of truly unhealthy drugs that are unregulated. It’s barbaric, a return to the past bullshit.

Aren’t conservatives supposed to be the ones who care about the military and veterans?   Huge disconnect on this. Why vote against getting veterans the help they desperately need?

Good. That’s the point. Nobody is arguing that schools should be a discipline free zone. How about just maybe we don’t ruin a kid’s life for a vape or a flask?

This.

Also, an option that they don’t even want to consider is:

Take pen. Record kid’s identifying/contact/residence info. If it comes back as D9, go get your warrant and proceed. There’s no reason to just pop the felony booking with no lab test.
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Aren’t conservatives supposed to be the ones who care about the military and veterans?   Huge disconnect on this. Why vote against getting veterans the help they desperately need?
That also pisses me off to no end. The only support they have is a shit load of guns to blow thier fucking brains out and or eachother's after they serve. Get born; get forgotten, unless you serve, then get parades until you are out and a special parking spot at Lowes, then get fucked is the SOP.

I do what I can to help, but it's pretty discouraging.

Be kind to your blue collar folks like the cable guy, they likely got fucked up in our jobs program over in the ME.

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I like when the right wing surly posters pop into this threads feigning support. They all still vote for Abbott, Patrick and all the other fascists dickheads.

Y’all are cute.

i mean that's true, but we did all agree above...

On 2/20/2023 at 9:29 PM, mchookem said:

a truly bipartisan issue

giphy (1) (3).gif

• Haha 1