I need a new refrigerator

9 years without a single issue from our LG in kitchen.  I assume it will self destruct shortly after this post.  When it does, likely  going with something that can be paneled. Garage fridge was a stainless someone put out on curb during one of the holiday buy events. There was about 5 to choose from around the hood in 2-3 days awhile back. Stainless isn’t dented and works great.  

11 minutes ago, Da Fino said:

What brand/model? Would you recommend it?

Link

I have this Frigidaire, but I paid like $130 for it a year or so ago.  I probably wouldn't recommend at this price though.  It produces nicer (clearer) ice than the cheaper ones but it's also slower to produce and you have to break down the ice because it freezes as a sheet of cubes rather than individual.  At the time this was the cheapest non bullet shape iced maker I could find.  That still may be the case.  I didn't really like the look of the bullet ice most countertop ice makers produce, but those will produce ice faster than this model.  Ice is ice, but the clear cubes look more appealing when I am staring at my brown drink.  Unless that's important to you I'd just go with a top selling bullet maker on amazon.  I think the build quality on those are likely all the same you just start spending more money as the ice gets prettier.

Mine is French door but it's door mount ice maker.  I don't have any need for a garage fridge, so I don't really have anywhere to put this to pasture while still getting some use out of it.

Same - mine is ice in the door. Thing sucks. No matter what we do next I’m pretty sure I just want an ice maker and not the dispenser. Always seems to be a pain in the ass…. Samsung’s has just become infamous.

Our garage fridge just needs to be for beverages and overflow and then frozen storage (meat, leftovers, etc). So just need something simple. I’d just do a freezer but it’s nice to have extra milk, beer, etc out there (have two young kids so we go through a ton of milk, yogurt, etc).

On 5/1/2018 at 12:02 PM, Artificial Iverson said:

Sears has a Kenmore (made by whirlpool) for $1599, 27.6cf. Granted Sears may be out of business soon but still a good value. I like this model's holes for the shelf configuration, total flexibility (called the Cantilever system iirc).  One other positive is the filter is in the top corner instead of the bottom which gives you more space as the platform is closer to the ground.  

Noticed a downside with Sears thugh is their store warranty is way more than other places but their prices are less. If you have a homeowners warranty though you don't need to buy a store warranty which goes beyond the 1 year mfr warranty. Do the pricing, it's a good deal IMO. 

spin_prod_1092251812?&hei=2000&wid=2000&

i have the whirlpool model, on sale at lowes. The vegetable drawer is great. As is is ice / water 

55 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Keeps the food cold, makes ice, dispenses water?

I have a similar LG with that same ice maker. If you need to fill more than 6-8 glasses of ice, you’ll run out. Keep space in the freezer for a bag of ice on hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

27 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

I have a similar LG with that same ice maker. If you need to fill more than 6-8 glasses of ice, you’ll run out. Keep space in the freezer for a bag of ice on hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The initial one we looked at only had door ice maker so we returned to get this one which happened to only be $100 more than other cause the sale was worse. This has dual ice maker…

90B5C282-9F3C-4428-8A1F-E3B08890D2B2.jpeg

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I’ve got a model similar (layout) but obv an older model.  No issues. Hope you have the same luck. 

Honestly, if you're looking for longevity, see if you can find a 2001 GE side-by-side.  We retired ours to the garage back in 2011 and the thing has outlasted its replacement in the house by several years so far.  Bet you can find one for $10 and you'll probably get another 30 years out of it.

Now it ain't the prettiest thing you'll ever see.

Edited by dcbc

This 10x.   When I was closing on my house the fridge was still here the day before.   Owner lived in the valley so I offered him $500 for a $2500 fridge.  Worked fine for 6 years.   Then it started leaking water and freezing up.  I pulled it apart and defrosted it and melted the iceberg.   A month later frozen again.   Paid $450 to fix it.  Two weeks later. Same problem.  Repair guy came out and said first repair forgot to put a doohickey in.   Worked for a month then same problem again.  Another $150 repair.  Worked for two weeks and same problem again.   I'm done with the repairs and Im just going to limp along for a few months and buy a new one.    So I'm subscribed.   DO NOT BUY A SAMSUNG!!
I will but their phones, but nothing else. TVs, washers, dryers, refrigerators are all pieces of shit. Never again.

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:
On 9/26/2020 at 10:11 AM, midtown said:
This 10x.   When I was closing on my house the fridge was still here the day before.   Owner lived in the valley so I offered him $500 for a $2500 fridge.  Worked fine for 6 years.   Then it started leaking water and freezing up.  I pulled it apart and defrosted it and melted the iceberg.   A month later frozen again.   Paid $450 to fix it.  Two weeks later. Same problem.  Repair guy came out and said first repair forgot to put a doohickey in.   Worked for a month then same problem again.  Another $150 repair.  Worked for two weeks and same problem again.   I'm done with the repairs and Im just going to limp along for a few months and buy a new one.    So I'm subscribed.   DO NOT BUY A SAMSUNG!!

I will but their phones, but nothing else. TVs, washers, dryers, refrigerators are all pieces of shit. Never again.

They do account for the worst TV I’ve had. Not a chance I was going to buy their fridge. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

They do account for the worst TV I’ve had. Not a chance I was going to buy their fridge. 

I have generally been satisfied with their TVs.  BIL is a tedious mfer when it comes to researching major purchases.  99% of the time if you go with his advice you will get the most bang for your buck.  The Samsung refrigerator sitting in my kitchen falls in the 1% category.  We both have the same model, both have broken ice makers, and both have a broken handle on the freezer drawer.  New home currently being built has a built-in fridge, so the BIL will be inheriting the POS he recommended to stick in his garage and provide more storage for his homebrewing hobby, so I guess he wins the long game.  I will never purchase another Samsung product.  Ever.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2022 at 10:43 AM, Vegas64 said:

I need a new fridge-- if I bought one today are there supply chain delays that means I won't get it for months? 

There were major delays last summer when we were trying to replace our oven.  We'd order it from Best Buy or Lowes or whatever, wait for the delivery date, and get an email on the delivery date to reschedule.  After going through this twice with two different chains, we ended up ordering from AJ Madison.  The trick was, you find something listed on their website as "in stock," then, you place a phone order.  Doing it over the phone enabled them to see actual inventory and caused the appliance to removed from inventory immediately, whereas ordering it through their online system did do this for some reason.  They had it to us within a week.  YMMV

Edited by dcbc

2 minutes ago, dcbc said:

There were major delays last summer when we were trying to replace our oven.  We'd order it from Best Buy or Lowes or whatever, wait for the delivery date, and get an email on the delivery date to reschedule.  After going through this twice with two different chains, we ended up ordering from AJ Madison.  The trick was, you find something listed on their website as "in stock," then, you place a phone order.  Doing it over the phone enabled them to see actual inventory and caused the appliance to removed from inventory immediately, whereas ordering it through their online system did do this for some reason.  They had it to us within a week.  YMMV

I bought a fridge last weekend and had it delivered next day. The only bummer was it was 33% more expensive than last year or 18 months ago. Dropped like $3700 on what should be a $3k fridge, max. More like $2500.

6 minutes ago, Vegas64 said:

I bought a fridge last weekend and had it delivered next day. The only bummer was it was 33% more expensive than last year or 18 months ago. Dropped like $3700 on what should be a $3k fridge, max. More like $2500.

Ughh.  That sucks.  I paid more than I wanted to pay last year, but only because the oven we ended up getting was a much end model than what we would have been perfectly happy having.  But it was available, and longterm, I'm' happy to have something with a few more bells and whistles.

I need a new fridge-- if I bought one today are there supply chain delays that means I won't get it for months? 

We just bought one (LG) from Best Buy. Best price and who are we to turn down 24 months same as cash. It was on a one month back order so we’ll see if it gets delivered here in a week or so. They had others that showed as in stock so they are out there depending on what you choose.

Is the appliance shortage getting resolved anytime soon? We are building a new house this year and will need appliances for it this winter. Probably will go all GE Cafe series as I don't feel like spending the extra cash on Bosch. And definitely don't feel like spending the extra money on straight Miele. Those seem to be the best brands for all appliances from W&D to ovens. Most other brands had some deficiencies, most likely in speed ovens. I wanted a speed oven so we wouldn't need extra space for a separate microwave.

6 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Is the appliance shortage getting resolved anytime soon? We are building a new house this year and will need appliances for it this winter. Probably will go all GE Cafe series as I don't feel like spending the extra cash on Bosch. And definitely don't feel like spending the extra money on straight Miele. Those seem to be the best brands for all appliances from W&D to ovens. Most other brands had some deficiencies, most likely in speed ovens. I wanted a speed oven so we wouldn't need extra space for a separate microwave.

I hope so.  We should already be in our new place and we’re now being told mid-August.

Appliance shortages seem to be hit and miss based on brand and model. When we were shopping the worst were Bosch dishwashers, Wolf ranges, and Sub-Zero refrigerators. All built-in fridges were pretty bad though. We found a Miele dishwasher in stock and ordered a range and oven from Blue Star. All were delivered within two months which was unheard of based on what we were being told. Decided to just keep our KitchenAid fridge for now assuming it doesn't die.

On 6/20/2022 at 1:41 PM, HiggyBaby said:

We just bought one (LG) from Best Buy. Best price and who are we to turn down 24 months same as cash. It was on a one month back order so we’ll see if it gets delivered here in a week or so. They had others that showed as in stock so they are out there depending on what you choose.

It probably will be fine, but they always showed "in stock" at Best Buy last year, but when the delivery date came, we'd get a call to reschedule delivery.

On 6/20/2022 at 2:21 PM, Bevo said:

I wanted a speed oven so we wouldn't need extra space for a separate microwave.

We have an oven/microwave-speed oven combo and it's been good (LG).  I haven't really explored the speed oven much, but the keep warm setting on the microwave/speed oven is pretty great.

• Like 1