the quest for tokyo gold

Hagbard Celine

8 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

4 minutes

shocked

we might make it

Considering Ferreira went down for a while, the water break, and lots of subs, I thought that 4 minutes was the minimum that they would with 5 not being something to complain about. Only at 6 would it start to look shady. 

Ochoa channeled Tim Howard's 2014 form against Belgium... On a scaled down CONCACAF Olympic qualifying level.

30 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

TROLL

Where was Michael Bradley in Alexi’s first XI? 🙄

Jozy isn’t even going to make the World Cup 23-man squad, much less actually the first choice XI. 

Watching México vs Republica Domínica and I think that we are going to have problems with R.D.’s speed and with El Tri’s skills. 

I don’t think that the US players we saw today can even get a point vs México. 

I think that the players we may send to the Olympics could get 1 to 3 points from a match with El Tri, but first we have to make it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Where was Michael Bradley in Alexi’s first XI?
Jozy isn’t even going to make the World Cup 23-man squad, much less actually the first choice XI. 
Watching México vs Republica Domínica and I think that we are going to have problems with R.D.’s speed and with El Tri’s skills. 
I don’t think that the US players we saw today can even get a point vs México. 
I think that the players we may send to the Olympics could get 1 to 3 points from a match with El Tri, but first we have to make it. 

I think we will hold possession well vs DR and get our shots on goal. It won’t be as ugly as today.

Hoping Mexico can rack up some yellows today heading into the CR game.

25 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

Our D- team ain’t beating Mexico, nor does it matter.  Beat DR and advance 

The winner of Group B is most likely going to be better than the 2nd place team in group B. 

This team today looked like they could lose to Honduras or maybe even a Canadian squad, depending on who they have. I really think that we are not a good team. Llanez’s offensive prowess will be sorely missed over the next couple of weeks. 

Our keeper had NINE saves. 

Costa Rica’s keeper had ONE save. 

We had two shots on frame and the one we scored on was from a defensive clearing failure that left a player a gaping hole to pass into for a goal. We could have easily lost 4-1 today. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Fereirra had two chances that he should have scored.  The early shot that hit the post and the nice pass through from Dotson where Fereirra had a poor first touch.  Didn't Glad have an open header off a corner.  It could just as easily have been 4-4.  Thanks to Ochoa they survived and on to the next game.  

Next big game against DR.  Just win and keep building fitness.  And be all in for the semi game as long as Mexico beats or ties CR.  Don't want to be 2-0 v. 1-1 Mexico with 1-1 CR playing DR. 

16 hours ago, Napoleon said:

The winner of Group B is most likely going to be better than the 2nd place team in group B. 

This team today looked like they could lose to Honduras or maybe even a Canadian squad, depending on who they have. I really think that we are not a good team. Llanez’s offensive prowess will be sorely missed over the next couple of weeks. 

Our keeper had NINE saves. 

Costa Rica’s keeper had ONE save. 

We had two shots on frame and the one we scored on was from a defensive clearing failure that left a player a gaping hole to pass into for a goal. We could have easily lost 4-1 today. 

I was kind of half-heartedly paying attention until the final 20 mins.  I was happy with the win, but disappointed in what I saw.  After reading BigSoccer and finding things I missed, I'm even more disappointed.

One guy pointed out that we essentially dropped to a 4-5-1 with all 5 midfielders playing defensively.  Fine for the final few mins of a game.  Not fine when CR is still easily playing passes wide and into the box w/o any pressure.  That's a pretty good point.  How in the hell does a team play 9 back and still give up easy passes and scoring chances?  

Oh well.  Had to have the 1st one.  We should only have one must-win game left.  Next round.

Just now, Knoxtnhorn said:

I get these guys are younger, but the technical ability is severly lacking.  Balls are popping up when traps are attempted, they're stabbing, pussy-footing 50/50 balls, etc.

this is essence the U-23 "D-team" with some B's and C's sprinkled in.

guys that are 20/21/22 years old and don't have gluefoot control and can't chest-trap to kill a pass or service in the air will remain in the exhibition.

the big question if we qualify is what will stewart want to do with the overall pool and packed calendar..... will Kreis get some of the eligible "A" players for tokyo?