the quest for tokyo gold

Hagbard Celine

2 hours ago, pied said:

mexico was up on them 1-0 at halftime 

Didn’t watch the mexico - DR game, but they slog it out. Not a good team over 90, but they make it tough for 60. 

Great result. Never root for mexico but if they win I wouldn’t hate it. 

3 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

game started 30 minutes earlier than scheduled

typical concalaugh

2 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

The Dominicans wore out. Not complaining though. In case Mexico decides to shit the bed against Costa Rica, a 5 goal differential and no goals conceded going into the final game of pool play is quite helpful.

1 hour ago, shnsajax said:

Actually looked like something the last 30 minutes. Now we get to root for a Mexico win/draw which is never fun. 

The garbage time goal by Mihailovic, combined with Mexico’s match (win?) means:

1) We advance to the semis no matter what.

2) We win the group with a tie or better if Mexico wins their match by 1 goal. If Mexico wins their match by 2 or more, then we have to beat them to win the group. 

Edited by Napoleon

12 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

The garbage time goal by Mihailovic, combined with Mexico’s result means:

1) We advance to the semis no matter what.

2) We win the group with a tie.

I'm sure everyone on this thread is fully aware, but the question becomes should Kreis try to win against Mexico or rest key players in favor of a must win semifinal to secure the Olympic berth? My brain believes the latter and my heart says 'why not both?'

2 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

I'm sure everyone on this thread is fully aware, but the question becomes should Kreis try to win against Mexico or rest key players in favor of a must win semifinal to secure the Olympic berth? My brain believes the latter and my heart says 'why not both?'

Rest key players.

A. Getting to the Olympics is the goal, blowing that to beat Mexico would be galactically stupid
B. If you make the Olympics, you should get another shot at Mexico in the final

I didn't watch group B games, what are the odds Canada and Honduras wrap things up tomorrow?

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

I didn't watch group B games, what are the odds Canada and Honduras wrap things up tomorrow?

https://www.concacaf.com/en/olympics-qualifying-men/schedule-results#tab_team=standings

Pretty good.

Honduras and Canada both won their opening matches.  Tomorrow, Canada faces Haiti and then Honduras faces El Salvador. Honduras and Canada should be 2-0 after tomorrow's matches are over. Eerily similar trajectory to how things are shaping up with the US and Mexico.

Canada 🇨🇦 and Honduras 🇭🇳 advance if they kick the ball around for 90 minutes. 

Honduras would win the group due to goal differential. (+3 vs +2)

If Canada doesn’t want to play the #1 in Group A, they will have to try to win. 

Canada can most likely lose and still advance, but not as easily as Honduras can. 

2268637C-CDC4-45FC-9035-E1416E01340D.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Going to be pretty interesting how Canada and Honduras play.  Not only because of the scenario @Napoleon mentioned, but also because both teams will want to rest their best players. Neither team wants Mexico, assuming that's the 1 seed.

They might get to. They aren’t playing the last group stages games concurrently, so they will know if they need a result or not, because El Salvador-Haiti kicks off first and a draw there advances both Honduras and Canada. 

• Hook 'Em 3

22 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

They might get to. They aren’t playing the last group stages games concurrently, so they will know if they need a result or not, because El Salvador-Haiti kicks off first and a draw there advances both Honduras and Canada. 

Correct.  Though, I was actually speaking to resting for Sunday's game.  Especially given one less day of rest.

• Hook 'Em 1

Too bad Covid wasn't delayed last year by a month.  We could have picked from the following roster. Note that Ledezma, Llanez and Pomykal were healthy at the time.

Ferreira

Llanez                      Aaronson

Ledezma     Pomykal

Dotson (but likely Yueill)

Gloster  McKenzie   Palmer-Brown   Cannon

Ochoa

US U-23 roster for 2020 Olympic Qualifiers

Pos. Player Club
GK Freese, Matt Philadelphia Union
GK Marcinkowski, JT San Jose Earthquakes
GK Ochoa, David Real Salt Lake
D Cannon, Reggie FC Dallas
D Glad, Justen Real Salt Lake
D Gloster, Chris PSV Eindhoven
D Herrera, Aaron Real Salt Lake
D McKenzie, Mark Philadelphia Union
D Palmer-Brown, Erik Austria Wien
M Aaronson, Brenden Philadelphia Union
M Dotson, Hassani Minnesota United FC
M Ledezma, Richard PSV Eindhoven
M Mihailovic, Djordje Chicago Fire FC
M Pomykal, Paxton FC Dallas
M Yueill, Jackson San Jose Earthquakes
F Ebobisse, Jeremy Portland Timbers
F Ferreira, Jesus FC Dallas
F Lewis, Jonathan Colorado Rapids
F Llanez, Ulysses VfL Wolfsburg
F Saucedo, Sebastian Pumas UNAM

25 minutes ago, dogbreath said:

Too bad Covid wasn't delayed last year by a month.  We could have picked from the following roster. Note that Ledezma, Llanez and Pomykal were healthy at the time.

Ferreira

Llanez                      Aaronson

Ledezma     Pomykal

Dotson (but likely Yueill)

Gloster  McKenzie   Palmer-Brown   Cannon

Ochoa

US U-23 roster for 2020 Olympic Qualifiers

Pos. Player Club
GK Freese, Matt Philadelphia Union
GK Marcinkowski, JT San Jose Earthquakes
GK Ochoa, David Real Salt Lake
D Cannon, Reggie FC Dallas
D Glad, Justen Real Salt Lake
D Gloster, Chris PSV Eindhoven
D Herrera, Aaron Real Salt Lake
D McKenzie, Mark Philadelphia Union
D Palmer-Brown, Erik Austria Wien
M Aaronson, Brenden Philadelphia Union
M Dotson, Hassani Minnesota United FC
M Ledezma, Richard PSV Eindhoven
M Mihailovic, Djordje Chicago Fire FC
M Pomykal, Paxton FC Dallas
M Yueill, Jackson San Jose Earthquakes
F Ebobisse, Jeremy Portland Timbers
F Ferreira, Jesus FC Dallas
F Lewis, Jonathan Colorado Rapids
F Llanez, Ulysses VfL Wolfsburg
F Saucedo, Sebastian Pumas UNAM

The glaring thing about this year's squad is that there is almost no speed.

LB- Sam Vines is okay, not special, but no cement boots either. Would have rather seen George Bello either year, but Atlanta United has said "No". (That cannot help their recruiting going forward.)

RB- Julian Araujo is no Reggie Cannon.

CM- Johnny Cardoso seems sufficient, but he's too big to be "quick" or "sudden". He's got the top speed, but that's not needed in Central Midfield.

CM- Hassani Dotson... I think that he's above average, but does not stand out.

RW- Benji Michel seems quick/fast-ish, but his ball control skills/dribbling speed is really not impressive.

RW- Jonathan Lewis is about the same as Benji. Maybe a little faster WITH the ball and a little slower WITHOUT. 

Basically, no one stands out as being "FAST". Right Wing seems better than average and that's about it.

I think that the list above would provide more speed from:

Reggie Cannon
Ulysses Llanez 
(quick & sudden, more than "fast")
Erik Palmer-Brown (can run circles around Glad)
Jeremy Ebobisse (more speed at the 9, but not sure whether he's quick or just has a higher top end)
Paxton Pomykal (just seems sudden and doesn't get beat for pace, but frequently beats others in the final third)

I think that what stands out about our current squad in Guadalajara is that these players don't have the required skill to be as slow as they are and still be a major problem. The current squad wouldn't make the Top 10 in Europe, but just may be in the Top 2 in CONCACAF.

The age group is dripping with speed & skill, but that drip was either not chosen by GGGB or not permitted to join if it is in the MLS, and was not considered if in Europe. (Though I think that Soto has B speed and B skill and he plays in Europe.)

Hopefully no more than 10 from this roster make the Olympic squad and almost none of them are in the starting XI. 

Edited by Napoleon
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, shnsajax said:

Great for the team, but I can't help but think it's smart marketing on CP's part. I mean he lost 2018 as a chance to showcase himself at the World Cup for US fans. This would be a chance to do it before the 2022 WC. Become a household US name.

Plus the chance at the medal.

We are soooo lucky that our keeper, Ochoa, was standing on his head in the match against Costa Rica. We were an average-to-decent performance" by our keeper from not even making it to the semifinal match. Again, it should have been Costa Rica 4-1 US(a).

In the 72', Costa Rica is already getting their anger out.

Screen Shot 2021-03-24 at 7.34.36 PM.png

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

I don't like you anymore, Soto. Why did I ever push for your inclusion?

I did not expect that kind from Soto. He’s one of my favorite players on this team. I also don’t understand why he was so far back. 

Ochoa conceded a goal, but he’s still in my good graces because of the Costa Rica match. And I know that that means a lot to him. 😎

Our U-24 Euro-based players need to trade Gold Cup, Nation’s League, and some WC Qualifying commitments for a release from their squads to play in the Olympics. 

That crew playing together in a tournament this summer would be really fun for us and would pay dividends down the road in Qatar and in 2026. 

2 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Tessman’s smooth turn on the build up was nice to see. It was arguably the silkiest move all night even though it wasn’t much. It had the look of someone who is a level ahead in composure. 

Tessman most definitely is right-footed, because that “shot” sucked ass!

PS- Do we have a shot ON GOAL tonight?

Edited by Napoleon

watched the first ~60 minutes before the weather had other ideas.  Thought we looked fine. Don't see in any way that someone would say we were dominated.  Looked to me like when two good teams are playing in a pre-season friendly with all the give-aways.  Not focused on either side.  Wouldn't say sloppy by both teams but a game where they knew the result wasn't paramount.

3 hours ago, pied said:

watched the first ~60 minutes before the weather had other ideas.  Thought we looked fine. Don't see in any way that someone would say we were dominated.  Looked to me like when two good teams are playing in a pre-season friendly with all the give-aways.  Not focused on either side.  Wouldn't say sloppy by both teams but a game where they knew the result wasn't paramount.

We were NOT “dominated”, but we were by far the inferior team. Second half subs, a sense of urgency, and a lack of a need to fight for a goal on the Mexicans’ part had the US looking much improved the last 15-20 minutes. 

If we qualify, it will be after playing Russian roulette while squeaking by Costa Rica.

Edited by Napoleon

4 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

We were NOT “dominated”, but we were by far the inferior team. Second half subs, a sense of urgency, and a lack of a need to fight for the goal on the Mexicans’ part had the US looking much improved the last 15-20 minutes. 

If we qualify, it will be after playing Russian roulette while squeaking by Costa Rica.

Right before the goal and halftime Holden(I think) were talking about how it was almost the perfect half for the US.  I wouldn't have disagreed with that statement.  

• Haha 1