We're getting older, so let's reach some conclusions about gin

tantric superman

On 3/31/2021 at 11:03 AM, Storm the Field said:

I used to like Gin, but it didn't like me. I would down a double gin and tonic like it was a glass of warter, but water don't make you stumble around the bar slurring at chicks and then wake up the next morning with no memory of getting home. 

Haven't touched the stuff since in close to a decade. 

Gin used to make me insane if I drank too much of it. Completely different drunk than tequila or bourbon.

G&T is my favorite drink though. Always has been. These days if I’m drinking it it’s a Hendricks and topo chico with a lime.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/29/2021 at 1:37 PM, squib said:

20004241_720x.jpg?v=1613511546

I always have a bottle of this in the liquor cabinet. Botanist is #2. Hendricks #3. A lime and one of the Fever Tree tonics and you're in business. 

Finished a bottle of this off.  Solid, reasonably priced -- I'm thinking well rounded because nothing really shot out and was an overpowering flavor. 

On 3/24/2021 at 2:04 PM, Trey3216 said:

I think lemon does so much more for a gin drink than lime does.  The oils in the lemon rind make a perfect summer sipper, and the lack of unnecessary sugar makes for a drink you can consume all day without the massive hangover.  

Same here.  Lime to me is just a dull lemon.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2021 at 1:13 PM, tantric superman said:

So toppng off with topo or you're moving towards more gin and soda than gin and tonic?

I always asked for extra lime with my G&Ts…then a buddy made me a Hendricks and topo with lime and that was it for me.

So yeah, I guess I’m not even drinking G&Ts anymore.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I sometimes enjoy a wet martini as well. For me, a lot depends upon the gin. on of my favorites, Plymouth gin, is less 'dry' and so the ratio isn't quite as noticeable to me then. My husband makes the martinis and he usually puts more vermouth in mine. I pickle cocktail size onions (I know, I know) so sometimes he makes a dirty martini with the brine and whoo boy that is pretty good. Yet, if we have Hayman's London Dry on hand, I like it very stiff and dry because it just has a nice crisp flavor.

We like to have variety so sometimes dry, sometimes wet, sometimes olive or onion, sometimes with a twist or strong citrus (like a Tom Collins)--it just depends.

Last week we harvested some of our last limes from our little tree and made Gin & Tonics. So so very good.

• Hook 'Em 1

My old man taught me a lot but I never understood his love of gin. I never could get over the Vitalis hair tonic taste. It was what I thought Avon would make if they made liquor. Dad was basic; made a huge G&T every night in his later years. Tanqueray, Canada Dry Tonic, ice, lime. About the only real thing we disagreed about.

On 7/17/2022 at 10:49 PM, High Plains Drifter said:

Some friends visited and gave me a bottle of this:

gin1-2-994x559.jpg

Although my bottle says 60 proof. Different batches come out with slightly different alcohol content?

I guess its like sloe gin, but with aronia berries instead of sloe berries.

Anyway, any recs or recipes for cocktails?

Aronias! Aronias on both counts! 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I have had all of them at one point or another.

i'm working on a bottle of st george's now.  had a few g&t's over the weekend with a splash of fresh watermelon juice from one that i cut up for salad.  my next two bottles on deck are gray whale and nikka coffey.

• 2 months later...

@RMac5 yesssss, we've enjoyed many a libation made with Empress. If you have time, visit their website and get the recipe for the Mr. Snowman-it takes a bit of prep, but it was a nice holiday drink. (I think I got the name right, it's been ten months since we made them)

We like to end the summer with an almost empty cabinet (save the absolute fave of my spouse's bourbon) and then as football gets going, restock. We picked up two we had not sampled yet to test:

Gin - MOM Gin / 70cl / 39.5%

Sipsmith Lemon Drizzle Gin : Buy from The Whisky Exchange

The two are quite different due to the various flavor emphasis, but we were somewhat disappointed that the citrus in the Sipsmith was not more prominent. The MOM gin has cranberry and provides a nice tart touch to the cocktails. Both of us prefer tart to sweet and don't mind a strong citrus flavor. We have become fond of the Tanqueray with Seville oranges for certain cocktails, and so were going for something similar with these two.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

@Mrs Whiggins Empress is good stuff for sure. I love G&T in the summer, actually was going to make the switch last night but they had already made it. Curious on the hubby’s favorite bourbon, I’m sure it’s in the bourbon thread, I’m being lazy :)

‘Will go to their website and find Mr. Snowman, thanks for the heads up.

4 hours ago, RMac5 said:

@Mrs Whiggins Empress is good stuff for sure. I love G&T in the summer, actually was going to make the switch last night but they had already made it. Curious on the hubby’s favorite bourbon, I’m sure it’s in the bourbon thread, I’m being lazy :)

‘Will go to their website and find Mr. Snowman, thanks for the heads up.

The bourbon thread is gargantuan, he has several faves and since my schedule is more flexible, I'm often the one making the restock run--Four Roses (the small batch I think it's called?), Makers Mark (from the cheapest one to the higher priced ones), Jefferson Reserve, Larceny, and there is a Weller (not the really high one) that I grab if it is in stock. He has had the $$$ ones and likes them just fine, but prefers to not spend that for his evening potent potable. Several others go in the rotation: Bibb & Tucker, Woodford Reserve, Bernheim, and 1792. For the holidays I will usually get one of the more $$$ types if I can find a bottle or two but the bourbon world has gotten a little crazy.

48 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Finally found the Botanist and that is some good shit. Any other floral recs to go in the rotation with Hendricks and the Botanist?

I think I posted back a page or two ago that we've tried Brockman's and enjoy it as a rotation bottle. It is fruity vs floral but it isn't overpowering. I agree that the Botanist is superb. Hayman's Old Tom is another one we like, they also have a London Dry that is solid.

Brockmans Gin 700ml | Boozy.ph

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Been awhile since I've posted in this topic and many martinis, fizzes, and other gin based cocktails later, here are a few other makers we've had that I hadn't yet listed on earlier posts:

In addition to the Empress Indigo Gin mentioned earlier, we've also tried their Elderflower Rose version and it's nice. It's not one I'd buy every stock up trip, but not bad and makes a very pretty glass for sure. I use St. Germaine Elderflower liqueur in quite a few mixed drinks, so it's not an unfamiliar flavor to me. All photos are stock because many of these we've already long emptied.

image.thumb.png.1834b2eb18b96f2b402ac3f745e8bd32.png

I swear we don't buy gin based on the color, but the liquor store nearest us stocked more varieties than usual around the holidays, and the McQueen and the Violet Fog Ultraviolet Edition found its way in the cart. It has a lot of botanical flavoring so if that isn't your thing, then skip it.

image.png.4f0c96d4488b7cbd03bd68f233e5b2c2.png

Total Wine marked this one deep discount and it's not my fave. Thomas Dakin would rank lower in my overall gin ratings. It was worth the discount, but beyond that, not one for which I'd reach around the others; that's probably due to it's strong juniper essence-a little works for me but too much and it is overpowering at times. It's the type one has to consider the type of drink being made.

image.png.8003cf5c566856e35f743c01df29f0a2.png

I don't know if I posted about this one earlier, but we tried it on a lark and were very pleasantly surprised. Tanqueray Sevilla Orange gin.

image.png.ed7c12292ee481dd4e8dcb36a3e11940.png

Finally, we regularly drink Hayman's; both the Old Tom and London Extra Dry versions, but recently picked the Royal Dock Navy Strength off the shelf. Will report back on how that one goes.

image.thumb.png.c66e0d41016b97308602559a5462e97a.png

A few of the UK gin distilleries from which we regularly bought have been disappearing from the shelves at our local store and after making some inquiries, it seems there have been various issues related to imports and distributors. Shame because overall the UK does gin quite quite well and it's their products that we buy on the regular.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 1 month later...
On 7/17/2022 at 10:49 PM, High Plains Drifter said:

Some friends visited and gave me a bottle of this:

gin1-2-994x559.jpg

Although my bottle says 60 proof. Different batches come out with slightly different alcohol content?

I guess its like sloe gin, but with aronia berries instead of sloe berries.

Anyway, any recs or recipes for cocktails?

This may be why I missed your question--the pic doesn't load for me.

Here's the link to the Drunk thread where I posted a few sloe gin cocktail recipes.