Worst basketball loss in program history

GreenspointTexas

4 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Honest question: not what you want to happen, but what you think will happen.  Shaka fired or nah?

Doubtful. Timing, COVID, cost will keep him around another year.

But next season most likely will be long and ugly, regardless of the coach, so it makes good financial sense to keep Shaka on and then can him after, say, an 11-win season.

This coming from a guy who wishes the locks to his office door were changed two years ago.

I don't think Shaka is gone unfortunately. It makes too much sense to let him stick around for another bad year and reduce his buyout, take the blame for an almost certainly poor 2022 season and build hype for the new stadium with a new coach. A new coach isn't going to take what's left of the roster anywhere important next year anyway so no need to start your new guy with a bad season which would depress the fanbase for the opening of the new stadium.

It's almost certainly not going to happen, imo. Let Shaka eat the inbound shitty 2022 season and start the new era for the new stadium. I don't love it, but I understand it.

Edited by BradInATX

1 minute ago, longhornmatt said:

Do you mean he is gone this off-season or next?   

He’s 100% not going to be the Texas MBB head coach when we open Moody in Fall 2022. I’d bet my life savings on that.

Whether it means he’s here for 21-22, depends if CDC finds the money. 

5 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Doubtful. Timing, COVID, cost will keep him around another year.

But next season most likely will be long and ugly, regardless of the coach, so it makes good financial sense to keep Shaka on and then can him after, say, an 11-win season.

This coming from a guy who wishes the locks to his office door were changed two years ago.

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

He’s 100% not going to be the Texas MBB head coach when we open Moody in Fall 2022. I’d bet my life savings on that.

Whether it means he’s here for 21-22, depends if CDC finds the money. 

I think the money will be raised.

The writing should have been on the wall for a game like that - maybe not Texas losing, but certainly the type of game we saw. Texas turns it over a ton. Abilene turns people over a ton. Texas turned it over a ton vs Texas Tech last week. Abilene runs Texas Tech's defensive scheme. The biggest difference was Abilene getting so many offensive rebounds. 

But man, Texas looked lost and Abilene was flying around like a bunch of damn hornets.K

Just now, SizzleChest said:

I think the money will be raised.

Hope you are right ... provided there's a suitable, proven winner to replace him.

Let's not knee jerk here. There's essentially a year to find someone who is still relatively young yet possesses a track record of success at multiple stops, with different players and coaches.

Examples are Beard and, despite how many here love to shit on him, Barnes. Rick was, what?, 44 when Texas hired him? Yet he'd already won at George Mason, Providence, and Clemson. And despite his failures, particularly in the tournament, the guy is the best hoops coach Texas ever had and was a great hire.

Chris Beard is 48 and was 43 when Tech picked him up. He worked his way up by winning at places like Fort Scott, Seminole State, McMurry, Angelo State and Little Rock. He even won as a semi-pro coach (South Carolina Warriors).

There are other Beards and Barneses out there. CDC and his staff just need to do their due diligence.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Counterpoint, basketball wasn't the same when KD was on campus.  It's always been average to below average.

The NBA has swallowed up a lot of the value of CBB in the last 20 years.  The quality of players in CBB is pretty depressing.

The only breakthrough could be NLI-derived value becoming more attractive to the best players (US and international), excluding maybe the absolute top tier lottery guys.  If that happens and CBB generates a couple of Lebron or Kobe level talents in the next decade or so, maybe kids won't just insist on skipping college altogether as the first option.

5 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Next year is a rebuilding year and no matter who coaches for us next season will field a team that will finish in the bottom half of the conference. It's hard to recruit as a lame duck coach so thats one reason why its best to move on from Shaka asap.

The one time transfer rule, if it passes, gives a new coach a lot of opportunities to go out and find what you need. 

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

The one time transfer rule, if it passes, gives a new coach a lot of opportunities to go out and find what you need. 

If it's anything like the football portal, it will be like dating after thirty or going to a garage sale. You're trying to find the least damaged item that you might get some use out of. 

5 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Any advice on how to beat Abilene?  Seems they are giant killers.

If you’re up by one at the end of the game don’t foul them with one second left on the clock and you should be good.

Oh and don’t turn the ball over 50 times and allow them to dominate you on the offensive boards even though they are short as shit. Can’t forget that. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Juke_Em said:

52 points by Texas is still the 2nd-lowest of the tournament so far, only ahead of 16 seed Drexel who put up 49. 

Well still not Shaka's lowest because we posted 48 against Butler in 2015 which is the lowest total in program history dating back to the year of da Aggy in 1939

6 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Lol.  Read the room, buddy.  Now is not the time to white knight for Shaka and blame it on a lack of talent against ACU.

And, yes, if a good coach had been developing these guys the last couple of years, it would have been Final Four talent.  We have, bar none, the most athletic front court in the country with Sims, Jones and Brown.  

We are one of only three teams in the country projected to have multiple first round picks in the NBA draft this year.

We are an extremely experienced veteran team with only one freshman, in the era where all the teams that get high level recruits are constantly really young with lots of freshmen.  In raw talent and pro prospects, plus even experience, we basically have the second most talented roster in the country after Gonzaga.  

Shaka screwed the pooch big time.   I knew he’d waste this year and keep us from being a national title contender like the talent would have justified, but before the season I thought he’d at least get a Steve Alford or Jeff Capel  dead cat bounce where we finish second to Baylor in conference and reach the Sweet Sixteen or something (before it all crashes down next year).   Instead, we got another first round exit in the most embarrassing loss in program history.  

He gets zero benefit of the doubt about anything.   If anything, I suspect Jones, Brown and probably even Sims are underrated as pro prospects because of his shit coaching and they’ll go on to have careers that make this look even worse in 5 years.

Really talented athletes, not really talented basketball players.   Huge difference.  Shaka and his team were a bunch of AAU all-stars that can out-athlete other teams, but can’t beat really good teams when faced with a structural method imbalance.   Shaka’s crew can’t play within the confines of structure because they’ve never played within it, nor can he coach those guys any structure because he made the Faustian bargain to bring in “the best players” with the promise of immediate playing time and a player friendly environment.   

Edited by Trey3216

17 hours ago, hookem48 said:

they took this team plenty seriously, we play hero ball, it's all we do and it bit us in the ass.

No, they definitely overlooked that team from jump and that’s incredibly idiotic. But we have a dumb team and a coach whose below average. It’s shocking and not, all at the same time

4 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

If you’re up by one at the end of the game don’t foul them with one second left on the clock and you should be good.

Oh and don’t turn the ball over 50 times and allow them to dominate you on the offensive boards even though they are short as shit. Can’t forget that. 

I haven’t looked at individual statistics, but I want to see how many rebounds players shorter than my sister got

I honestly don't see how CDC can possibly bring him back.  Not only was this loss the worst loss in program history I sincerely believe this was the worst performance from a top 3 see in the last 30 years of the tournament.  When in the last 30 years of the tournament did such an atrocious performance by the lower seed result in a win over a team seeded 11 spots higher than them? 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I honestly don't see how CDC can possibly bring him back.  Not only was this loss the worst loss in program history I sincerely believe this was the worst performance from a top 3 see in the last 30 years of the tournament.  When in the last 30 years of the tournament did such an atrocious performance by the lower seed result in a win over a team seeded 11 spots higher than them? 

I agree with you but I would say Virginia as the 1 seed in 2018 for starters. Not only did they lose as the 1 seed to a 16, they were ran off the court and lost by like 20. I think it was to some school in Baltimore. But they did redeem themselves the very next year and won it all. Has to be the biggest turnaround I have seen from year to year, Lose to a 16 seed to win it all.

Edited by Vic Mackey

7 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

I agree with you but I would say Virginia as the 1 seed in 2018 for starters. Not only did they lose as the 1 seed to a 16, they were ran off the court and lost by like 20. I think it was to some school in Baltimore. But they did redeem themselves the very next year and won it all. Has to be the biggest turnaround I have seen from year to year, Lose to a 16 seed to win it all.

UMBC

• Hook 'Em 2

I don't think I'll ever get over a team with clear size and talent disadvantages getting 20 offensive rebounds.  I mean...just...incredible.  I have seen horrible turnover games, and horrible coaching (especially by Texas) but it's been a while since I can remember the disparity of talent to result with that stat.

On 3/21/2021 at 12:14 PM, BradInATX said:

I don't think Shaka is gone unfortunately. It makes too much sense to let him stick around for another bad year and reduce his buyout, take the blame for an almost certainly poor 2022 season and build hype for the new stadium with a new coach. A new coach isn't going to take what's left of the roster anywhere important next year anyway so no need to start your new guy with a bad season which would depress the fanbase for the opening of the new stadium.

It's almost certainly not going to happen, imo. Let Shaka eat the inbound shitty 2022 season and start the new era for the new stadium. I don't love it, but I understand it.

I'm fairly sure this is exactly how it'll happen.  

3 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

I'm fairly sure this is exactly how it'll happen.  

That's a money-saving thing for CDC then, but you suffer from an apathetic, burned out fan base and trying to open a new arena with a shitty team - letting Shaka dead-man walk 2021-22 will kill 2022 recruiting.  Who would even bother committing to Texas?  At that point, you know he's gone.  We'll get ACU/UNT-level talent because no one good/elite is going to want to risk it.  

58 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

50 minutes ago, Machinator said:

UMBC

I disagree. My post specifically asked the question of when has such an awful performance resulted in such a huge upset by the underdog team.  The dfference between Saturday's game and  UMBC's win over Virginia is UMBC unequivocally played a great game. They shot lights the fuck out.  I think they even shot 50% from the the 3pt line.  Unlike football, overmatched basketball teams upset more talented teams all the time, provided they play a great game that day.  What makes Shaka's atrocious showing Saturday unique is not only did Abilene Christian not have to play a great game to net a win they probably played their worst offensive game of the year and still got the fucking win over a team seeded 11 spots higher than them. That's an unmatched level of ineptitude by a higher seed in my tournament watching eyes.  

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 7

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

UMBC was hitting every shot they threw up from anywhere on the court in that game if memory serves.  It was the nightmare scenario everyone around here was talking about all season for UVA.  They played great lock down D but couldn't put up enough points to outscore a team if it got really hot.  

UT ACU was nothing like that. ACU was very beatable the entire game if just half the turnovers committed hadn't been probably. They shot for shit at the free throw line, and from the field.  I can't remember seeing a game like that in a long time.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 3

On 3/21/2021 at 10:37 AM, TexasGolf said:

Any advice on how to beat Abilene?  Seems they are giant killers

Take your horses out of the game by playing slow, then dribble all day and throw up a brick from behind the line. Oh and throw the ball away about every third trip down the floor. Then hope for a call at the end. Its the only way. 

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

The dfference between Saturday's game and  UMBC's win over Virginia is UMBC unequivocally played a great game.

This. Getting beat is different than totally laying a turd. 

Lots of small schools have some ballers. 

It was the biggest gut punch since I've been watching college basketball, replacing the 2011 Arizona '3 seconds' game. I don't know if it's the worst in program history - the season with the Chaminade loss also had the time Texas paid to play in the CBI so they could lose to Houston in the first round which was pretty embarassing, plus there's a laundry list of Bob Weltlich games to pick from - but the fact that it's in the conversation at all says plenty.

8 minutes ago, Bitterwhiteguy said:

It was the biggest gut punch since I've been watching college basketball, replacing the 2011 Arizona '3 seconds' game. I don't know if it's the worst in program history - the season with the Chaminade loss also had the time Texas paid to play in the CBI so they could lose to Houston in the first round which was pretty embarassing, plus there's a laundry list of Bob Weltlich games to pick from - but the fact that it's in the conversation at all says plenty.

Fuck I forgot we paid to be in the “postseason” and lost it. 

2 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

only difference there is that UVA lost their (arguably) best player right before the tourney started. and even then, UMBC actually played well; ACU did not. 

Tony Bennett also banked some goodwill before that inexcusable loss by consistently making the tournament (with two second weekend appearances) and winning conference titles. If Shaka had done better in years 2-5 (particularly 4 and 5), maybe he could have skated by with the ACU disaster.

• Like 2