Hire Chris Beard already

GreenspointTexas

Understanding this thread is cathartic/ venting for Horns fans, the fact that Golding isn't mentioned as a candidate, even in passing; for replacing Shaka brings at least an upturned eye brow.  The talk is about Beard, Musselman, Petino, and Sampson; but Golding could be the next Beard in the making.
Nope.  We need the sexy pick, because by-gawd...
Welp, the cycle continues.

Yeah, not gonna let this comment slide. I’m going to need you to elaborate on your argument here, because it’s incoherent.

What exactly is the cycle? That we only hire big name proven coaches? That we should, as a change from our current coach, make a hire from a small school due to March Madness success? That promoting a guy 9 hours after he upset a 3 seed is not the very definition of “sexy pick?”

Texas basketball deserves to be dunked on, but at least string some words together that make sense. Might be too much to expect from a Tech grad, though.
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Why would Chris Beard or the Baylor coach come to Texas? Would be a step down for them.

Are we really supposed to believe those are better jobs just because they currently have better coaches? If you want to argue it wouldnt make sense for them to come to Texas when they can get a job at a traditional basketball power then fine, but lets not pretend the tech or baylor job are higher on the ladder than ours. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Yeah, not gonna let this comment slide. I’m going to need you to elaborate on your argument here, because it’s incoherent.

What exactly is the cycle? That we only hire big name proven coaches? That we should, as a change from our current coach, make a hire from a small school due to March Madness success? That promoting a guy 9 hours after he upset a 3 seed is not the very definition of “sexy pick?”

Texas basketball deserves to be dunked on, but at least string some words together that make sense. Might be too much to expect from a Tech grad, though.

1. I was not taking any kind of shot at UT basketball, thus my intro sentence.  Lol At your discretion of what posts  get commented on/ are allowed to exist.

2. Yes, I was discussing the prevailing mindset that it has to be some flavor of the day, high profile candidate.  Just look at the suggestions in the thread. The focus is on other high profile coaches that are already established. That isn’t talking shit or taking shots at your program. It was prevalent during the football search as well.

12 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

Are we really supposed to believe those are better jobs just because they currently have better coaches? If you want to argue it wouldnt make sense for them to come to Texas when they can get a job at a traditional basketball power then fine, but lets not pretend the tech or baylor job are higher on the ladder than ours. 

What does higher on the ladder  even mean? Better results? More tradition? More money?  Texas isn’t necessarily any of that with regard to hoops. What kind of offer do you think Texas would have to make for beard in order for the eagle shale boys not to counter? Do you think Beard would not give Tech a chance to counter?

Edited by slorch

3 minutes ago, slorch said:

1. I was not taking any kind of shot at UT basketball, thus my intro sentence.  Lol At your discretion of what posts  get commented on/ are allowed to exist.

2. Yes, I was discussing the prevailing mindset that it has to be some flavor of the day, high profile candidate.  Just look at the suggestions in the thread. The focus is on other high profile coaches that are already established. That isn’t talking shit or taking shots at your program. It was prevalent during the football search as well.

well, we tried hiring the hot shot up and comers like Strong, Shaka and Herman and look how that turned out.

4 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

Tech and Baylor are clearly not better jobs than the Texas job.  If all three were open and a coach was offered all three, that coach would choose Texas. 

However, Tech and Baylor are better programs right now and it is because of their coaches.  It might be impossible to pry either away.  Drew has been at Baylor for 18 years; he was hired - at age 32 - to replace Dave Bliss.  He's not leaving for Texas.  Beard has rebuilt the Tech program and has a fairly hefty buyout ($6M, IIRC).  He *might* leave for Texas, but I do not see the need to pay the buyout. 

There are at least 200 head coaches (and maybe 50 assistant coaches) who are better at coaching basketball than Shaka Smart.  Beard and Drew are among them, but I do not think they are attainable. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Beard buyout probably kills going after him...

"Beard’s latest contract with Tech has a $3 million buyout clause for schools in 49 states. If he leaves for any school in Texas or another Big 12 school, however, it will cost $6 million to get Beard out of his Texas Tech contract. You can be sure that the price doubles for a Texas school because of Beard’s connection to the University of Texas, his alma mater and first place he served as an assistant basketball coach."

Just now, Hagbard Celine said:

but shouldn't we have a long deliberation before mob-rushing beard?  ugly style yes.  wins yes.   horn yes.   all good.

we get in to trouble when we move to fast.  this isn't football.  we don't have to have this done today or tomorrow.

Yes, do a proper search like they at least appeared to do in football (post Urban).

If Texas is serious about winning then they will hire Beard now before one of of blue bloods comes available. In the next 3 years Duke and UNC will be available and nobody would be shocked if Kentucky and Kansas are as well (NBA may finally get Cal and Self). Being the Alma Mater only goes so far when those jobs come up. 

1 hour ago, boilerhorn said:

There are at least 200 head coaches (and maybe 50 assistant coaches) who are better at coaching basketball than Shaka Smart.  Beard and Drew are among them, but I do not think they are attainable. 

And probably 50 high school coaches better 

17 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

but shouldn't we have a long deliberation before mob-rushing beard?  ugly style yes.  wins yes.   horn yes.   all good.

we get in to trouble when we move to fast.  this isn't football.  we don't have to have this done today or tomorrow.

This. We need a legit search. 

7 hours ago, Doyle Hargreaves said:

Baylor is a ponzi scheme, and a shit one at that. That being said, Drew is a cunt. Has zero skins on the wall. Fucks his teams in big games. 

Beard is the truth. Gets it. He also aint fucking leaving Texas Tech. 

Beard is 3-7 against Baylor.  2 wins better than Shaka Con 

Underwood is at his dream job.  He’s not coming here. 

From what I’ve heard about Beard (from refs that know him), he’s at his dream job as well mostly due to his fam out there.  They believe because he went to UT, he might listen to an opening, but from all accounts he loves loves Tech and Lubbock.

Someone up thread said they are completely out on Muss, and I don’t know why.  I question your basketball acumen.  I’d take him in a heartbeat.  

I like the UC-Santa Barbara coach, but might be too big of a jump.  

Pitino looks good in theory because of his background, but Pitino is perfect where he’s at because he doesn’t have to recruit all over the fucking place.  He drops down to the Bronx, souf philly maybe, picks up 6-7 recruits and that nigga good!  Could he do that at UT?  Possibly, but it would be more of a selling to recruits because we don’t have banners for recruits to see like Tech has and like what Baylor is about to get this year. 

As Bill Self said, the UT job is a top 5 job to most coaches because of our advantages and lack of pressure from donors/admin/fans.  You can come to Texas and we will let you coach but ya ass needs to at minimum get us to the tournament and win a few games.  

And I struggle with this thread because I just don’t see Shaka going anywhere after the AD had to buy a new football staff, and that is disappointing.  Could he be fired?  Sure.  Will he?  I struggle to say yes.  I dont’ go to church but for those who do, you better be praying to the gawds that Shaka leaves for another job.  If the rumors are true and he was asking for an extension, that means he knows he’s in trouble. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Just to underscore the point, Beard is the 4th highest paid coach in the country, Underwood is 12th highest paid, Scott Drew already makes more than Shaka and is about to get paid a lot more if Baylor goes to the Final Four, etc.   Musselman is the 49th highest paid way down the list from those guys and Shaka.

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach/

Tad Boyle at 62nd highest paid is also worth keeping in mind if we miss bigger targets.   Colorado knows how to play and has 5 guys constantly moving and screening on and off the ball on offense, which I’m beyond ready to see at Texas after 20+ years of Barnes and Shaka “offense”.  Colorado’s athletic department is such a shit show that his record there is probably more impressive than it looks. 

Tad Boyle is a good suggestion if we miss out on bigger name targets.  And Beard ain't happening.