UT's next basketball coach - discussion/debate

alphahorn

2 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I think it was Scipio talking about former players taking in Shaka's practices, and being just appalled at what they saw. 

Would love to know their honest assessments. Doubt they'll ever share them, as again, they abide by a code, but fuck, it would be gratifying to hear.

41 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Chris Beard has a $13M buyout 

16 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

Add in Shaka's buyout, and we're at $20M.  Then you have to add in his new contract, assistant contracts, etc. 

Anyone who think that's a slam dunk is kidding themselves.  Possible, but I give it about a 5% chance at this point.

Beard's buyout is $5M, and goes down to $4M if we wait until April 1.

https://media.everythinglubbock.com/nxsglobal/everythinglubbock/document_dev/2019/04/29/Chris Beard - 2019_1556568389982_85046221_ver1.0.pdf

• Hook 'Em 6

2 hours ago, Pancho said:

College basketball isn’t like football.  There are HOF coaches in basketball who had no HC experience before they were hired at their universities.  

how many of them had zero coaching experience at the college level?

13 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

He's Tom Herman-lite.  It's a fair criticism understanding that aloofness combined with bizarre indifference to program supporters can inhibit success.

I would guess that Arkansas has more ardent basketball supporters than we do, and that somehow didn't prevent them from hiring him.

2 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

If CDC is true to form, we won't hear anything about Texas considering a change until he has already pretty much locked down Shaka's replacement. 

Yeah the way CDC ran the women’s basketball search was baller, even more so considering who he hired. Vic wasn’t on anyone’s list really and if he was it was more of a dream candidate scenario.

combine that with CDC being a huge basketball fan and I’m actually hopeful he’ll get this hire right.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Ah, yeah, I goofed and added the buyout when Shaka's buyout was already added.  The total is $13M, not $20M.  Which is still insane.

6 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I would guess that Arkansas has more ardent basketball supporters than we do, and that somehow didn't prevent them from hiring him.

Not saying cross him off then, just saying it is a fair criticism.

And Arky had been wandering the woods longer than Texas.  They hadn't been relevant in CBB since the mid 90s.

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

I always get a kick out of buyout concerns at The University of Texas.

Plus, if what has been said here in the last day is true, there is some play money buried in the Moody Center budget that could be brought to bear.

Not every donor will be excited to pony up more dough after the football mess and other capital projects.  If what you are saying is true, we should have hired Beard before he signed his extension in 2019.  I think most agree that was the right time and we were late.

1 hour ago, Mo Horn said:

If we're going to try and money whip a current coach, even though the odds of getting them are slim, we should go Few...Wright...Calipari...Self

Zero chance Few leaves Gonzaga.  We would've paid him any amount of money he wanted and he wouldn't even answer the phone.

2 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

Ah, yeah, I goofed and added the buyout when Shaka's buyout was already added.  The total is $13M, not $20M.  Which is still insane.

4+7=11. Where are you getting 13 from? 

1 minute ago, SizzleChest said:

Not saying cross him off then, just saying it is a fair criticism.

And Arky had been wandering the woods longer than Texas.  They hadn't been relevant in CBB since the mid 90s.

Saying he’s like Herman is not a fair criticism at all. Muss‘s players have always seemed to like him in college.  

If you’re talking about program supporters, then who gives a fuck? If he wins, it won’t matter and, if not, he’ll be fired anyways. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Zero chance Few leaves Gonzaga.  We would've paid him any amount of money he wanted and he wouldn't even answer the phone.

Agreed. I should have said chances on getting any of these coaches were slim to none. 

I would be good with Sampson. The man can get it done. His NCAA history is fucking quaint when you realize how dirty basketball recruiting really is. You know its bad when even the saintly Coach K is in on it. 

I would be good with Royal Ivey if he wanted it. Sack up and roll the dice. Could he be any worse? 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

If you’re talking about program supporters, then who gives a fuck? If he wins, it won’t matter and, if not, he’ll be fired anyways. 

If you don't stroke the shaft and cradle the balls of the alumni, you don't last long at Texas.  Every donor thinks they are a BMD and deserve the red carpet treatment by the new coach.  You have to do it the TEXAS WAY. 

Everyone who wants Sampson is also ok with his son being our head coach in 4-5 years when Sampson retires, right?  

Whether he's at UH as the head coach or Texas on his dad's staff,  he'd likely end up our coach when Sampson hangs it up if we hire him. 

Ivey would probably come relatively cheap. We wouldn't have to hand out a Shaka-like deal for him to come here (though I would still hazard it would be a market-rate $3.5-$4M with a minimum of five years). On the other hand, we're not very good at firing coaches, and if Ivey doesn't work out, how do we handle getting rid of a well-liked alumnus?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Not every donor will be excited to pony up more dough after the football mess and other capital projects. 

He might be coming from where I am, which is that it's a little hard to swallow a quarter-billion dollar enterprise can't keep enough cash on hand (speaking euphemistically) to make critical personnel moves when it needs to make them. 

The impact of COVID throws a monkey wrench in my skepticism but it's just hard to reconcile the rhetoric we've lived with for 20+ years and the reality of operating under financial constraints, legit or otherwise. 

15 hours ago, Machinator said:

Ivey would probably kill it in recruiting, and I bet he would hire good recruiting assistants with ties to the state.

What we don't know is how he matches up in terms of Xs and Os against the likes of Self, Drew, Huggins, Beard, etc.

The support staff around him would be just about as important as the actual hire of Ivey for this reason.

That said, not like he could do worse results wise than Shaka over the next 6 years

6 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

4+7=11. Where are you getting 13 from? 

Saying he’s like Herman is not a fair criticism at all. Muss‘s players have always seemed to like him in college.  

The 13 was upthread and I posted it again before realizing it was accounting for the reduction in 2019 and 2020.  So, yeah, 11.   It's still a poison pill and doesn't mean we'll find some money buried somewhere or find a group of BMDs motivated enough to pay it.

On Muss, yeah, he's rising and is in a hurry to get there.  He'll dump Arky in a heartbeat and go scorched earth if he thinks it can help his career.   He could do the same here.

16 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Yep. He makes more than people think he does at Gonzaga and gets to live way under the radar. Only stress he has is what he puts on himself. 

He will never take another job, and they will fire the pope before they fire few. 

On Muss, yeah, he's rising and is in a hurry to get there.  He'll dump Arky in a heartbeat and go scorched earth if he thinks it can help his career.   He could do the same here.

Musselman is a snake. I wouldn't want him anywhere near my program. 

Just now, Machinator said:

Musselman sounds like a total mercenary who happens to be a very good coach.

I don't know if he's a mercenary as much as clawing back through the ranks. Would he leave us for an NBA job? Probably. Would he leave us for Duke/UNC? Very good chance. Outside of that there's not a lot of upwards mobility if he came here. 

28 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Not doubting you, but "UCLA" and "paid him any amount of money..." just doesn't seem to go together.

• Haha 1

Isn’t Musselman’s MO building his teams with transfers?  I remember reading an article about him at Nevada and that stood out to me. I don’t really care how we go about putting a good team on the floor, but his program building plan here would probably look a little different than what he has done and been successful with previously, and that is a little concerning.

2 minutes ago, shakahorn said:

Not doubting you, but "UCLA" and "paid him any amount of money..." just doesn't seem to go together.

His entire college coaching career is at Gonzaga.  Since 1989. 

He ain't leaving. 

Just now, conVINCEd said:

Isn’t Musselman’s MO building his teams with transfers?  I remember reading an article about him at Nevada and that stood out to me. I don’t really care how we go about putting a good team on the floor, but his program building plan here would probably look a little different than what he has done and been successful with previously, and that is a little concerning.

Wouldn't be the worst ever hire if the one-time transfer rule passes for the summer.  Pretty easy to restack this roster for 2021-22. 

Potentially 6 leaving (Coleman, Sims, Kai Jones, Greg Brown, Hamm, Febres) and only 4 coming in.  2 spots you can pick up for positions of need (i.e., PG and center), not including any transfers or if someone leaves early, like Ramey or Jones, which just gives you more room to work with. 

Does anyone know if Ivey has primarily focused on offense/defense in his time as an assistant so far? As a player he was a great defender and average on offense but wouldn't necessarily dictate his coaching focus.

After 20 plus years of watching Barnes/Smart Texas teams it would sure be nice to bring in somebody who can build a real offense. 

25 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Part of it was probably necessity, but Musselman also seems to have the Fred Hoiberg philosophy to recruiting.  His Nevada teams and his first two classes at Arkansas had a bunch of transfers.  They had some good transfers, and he also signed some good high school kids in the second Arkansas class, like Moses Moody.  

So, I can’t really knock the results, but I don’t get the feeling he wants to kill himself recruiting.   He’s an NBA guy at heart like Hoiberg, which means I don’t think he sees himself texting high schoolers as his long term dream job.

The simple fact is that you have to be able to recruit transfers these days.   There are 600-700 in D1 each year now.  Each team is going to lose 2-4 kids unexpectedly and needs to replace them through the transfer market.  You're much better getting a transfer than the typical type of HS kid that is unsigned April or later.

Muss brought in a ton of transfers and completely overhauled Arkansas' roster.  Only one player from last year's team in in the top 10 of minutes this year.  That said, he started 3 freshmen recruited out of HS in yesterday's game vs. Tech.

I don't know where the asshole or aloof stuff comes from.  At a minimum, his public persona is one that is very interactive both on social media and in public.  He's a goofball.

Edited by Don Johnson

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Everyone who wants Sampson is also ok with his son being our head coach in 4-5 years when Sampson retires, right?  

Whether he's at UH as the head coach or Texas on his dad's staff,  he'd likely end up our coach when Sampson hangs it up if we hire him. 

Also, why the fuck does anyone want Sampson?  His Wiki page has an entire section on NCAA violations.  It's like 10 paragraphs.  Three of his former schools are mentioned.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, TexArcher said:

Also, why the fuck does anyone want Sampson?  His Wiki page has an entire section on NCAA violations.  It's like 10 paragraphs.  Three of his former schools are mentioned.

Don't look at me.

@6th Street is the one slobbing his knob harder than Icono and a UH football coach.

• Haha 2