UT's next basketball coach - discussion/debate

alphahorn

24 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I read a column today that suggested that Shaka is a candidate for the Indiana job.

Take it with a grain of salt, but it's generally believed among Illinois fans that Shaka turned down our overtures to replace Bruce Weber in 2012 because he didn't want such a demanding fanbase, and also because Champaign wasn't cosmopolitan enough for his wife. 

To put it very mildly, the IU job does not satisfy either of those criteria. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Take it with a grain of salt, but it's generally believed among Illinois fans that Shaka turned down our overtures to replace Bruce Weber in 2012 because he didn't want such a demanding fanbase, and also because Champaign wasn't cosmopolitan enough for his wife. 

To put it very mildly, the IU job does not satisfy either of those criteria. 

the matrix GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

10 minutes ago, Machinator said:

It's not an issue because there's no fucking way Altman is leaving Oregon to come here.

4 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

It's not an issue because there's no fucking way Altman is leaving Oregon to come here.

In the last 6 seasons, Altman has the following: EE, FF, S16, S16 (so far)

And yet people think he will leave that to come to Texas. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

True, but we ultimately ended up with John Groce instead, apparently based on his S16 run with Ohio, and who didn't exactly advance the state of the program during his tenure. 

I am not all that knowledgeable about the state of Illini basketball since Nick Anderson and Kendall Gill were wrecking shop,  but you were better off with the other guy.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, Pancho said:

In the last 6 seasons, Altman has the following: EE, FF, S16, S16 (so far)

And yet people think he will leave that to come to Texas. 

On the national level no one watches or gives a shit about PAC 12 basketball. And Oregon gets under seeded every year as a result. But Oregon is a kickass state and he is old so he is better off never leaving anyway. 

What about someone like Mark Turgeon?  Maryland is at odds with keeping him, or according to local news there's some doubts.  I'm of the opinion that college basketball is one of the most difficult things to predict and even the great coaches don't win all that much, considering the talent level they can accumulate.  So maybe, it's finding the right situation/combination at the right time.  I still think Texas is a great place because the state has talent and some players in the NBA.    

6 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

What about someone like Mark Turgeon?  Maryland is at odds with keeping him, or according to local news there's some doubts.  I'm of the opinion that college basketball is one of the most difficult things to predict and even the great coaches don't win all that much, considering the talent level they can accumulate.  So maybe, it's finding the right situation/combination at the right time.  I still think Texas is a great place because the state has talent and some players in the NBA.    

Maryland is in literally the exact same situation Texas is in. Coach who has NBA talent almost every year (Huerter, Fernando, Jaylen Smith the last few) and never goes anywhere in March. Some fans are annoyed they won a game because it's tougher to get rid of him since this was supposed to be a down year anyways. Their win against UConn this week was the first time he had beat a single digit seed. They've been to the Sweet 16 once in his 10 years, beating a 13 and a 12. So technically better than Shaka in the postseason, but mostly because it's REALLY hard to be worse.

• Hook 'Em 3

23 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

This is a truly terrible idea, and you also wanted to keep Shaka as of a week ago, so I think we’ll pass on your coaching takes.

You should probably stick to the I told you so thread. That’s more your speed. 

I literally said I didn’t want to hire him as a coach. Don’t be a complete moron in addition to a complete asshole 

Another place to keep an eye out on is Souf Carolina.  Fans want Martin gone, but there’s been no movement on him by their AD.  Most of the complaints by fans is a lack of NCAA tournament appearances.  Well if that’s all they want, Shaka is their man!

4 hours ago, Machinator said:

If there's one guiding principle in making coaching hires, do not take coaches away from fanbases who are happy to see them go.

A more relevant principle regarding Turgeon is never hire anybody that would voluntarily sign up to coach at that shitheap in college station. True, he hauled ass after 4 years, but anybody stupid enough to go there in the first place is not somebody I want running the show in Austin. 

28 minutes ago, Blotto said:

A more relevant principle regarding Turgeon is never hire anybody that would voluntarily sign up to coach at that shitheap in college station. True, he hauled ass after 4 years, but anybody stupid enough to go there in the first place is not somebody I want running the show in Austin. 

Our women’s basketball coach liked it so much he went back for a refill.

4 hours ago, Pancho said:

Another place to keep an eye out on is Souf Carolina.  Fans want Martin gone, but there’s been no movement on him by their AD.  Most of the complaints by fans is a lack of NCAA tournament appearances.  Well if that’s all they want, Shaka is their man!

tenor.gif?itemid=11411653

Here's where we're at:

Unrealistic ceiling: moneywhipping Few, Bennett, Scott Drew, Jay Wright, or any coach at a blue blood / historical basketball power (Louisville, Michigan State, etc.). Billy Donovan. Any NBA head coach, for that matter.

Mostly unrealistic ceiling: our entire BMD corps suddenly falling in love with basketball and putting up an obscene amount of money to buy out Nate Oats and bring him to Texas. Brad Underwood (at his dream job). Leonard Hamilton (too old).

The realistic ceiling: Dana Altman, Eric Musselman, Chris Beard. Decent chance of all them tell us no, but if you squint hard enough you can come up with scenarios where any of them leave for Texas, if we pay up.

Wild card: John Beilein, if he wants to return to coaching. I think he's done, but worth kicking the tires.

Not happening for other reasons: Rick Pitino (old, NCAA violations history), Kelvin Sampson (old, no interest in leaving UH), Rick Barnes

The floor: Royal Ivey - could be our Juwan Howard, could be a bust. We have no idea.

Who are the second tier candidates with head coaching experience worth looking at before we think about hiring a Coach Royal?

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, cafe society said:

Are we Mike Stoopsing Porter Moser because he coached under Barone at aggy?  Because he seems to be building Gonzaga 2.0 in Chicago.  

i don't like him as a candidate, and the comparison to Few and Gonzaga is not an apt comparison. Moser is nowhere near as consistent, plus he tends to play a slower style that's more focused on defense. we do not need to consider another mid major HC with a nice tourney run or two when there are better options. 

• Hook 'Em 2

53 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Who are the second tier candidates with head coaching experience worth looking at before we think about hiring a Coach Royal?

Andy Enfield, USC

Fran McCaffery, Iowa*

Tad Boyle, Colorado*

Greg Gard, Wisconsin*

Mike White, Florida

Buzz Williams, Texas A&M, and yes i'm 100% serious 

*would likely never seriously consider leaving their current gig, and would simply leverage any smoke or fire into a raise and extension. 

Edited by shadow_operative

08FA6B1F-7011-4F97-83DC-2418E084E83D.jpeg

don't tell me that that guy ^^^ wouldn't win at Texas. not to mention that he's a native Texan, or how hilarious it would be for him to leave A&M for Texas and get back to his winning ways, which includes plenty of postseason success (he won 8 tourney games in six years at Marquette).  i'd have zero problem getting excited about Buzz Williams if he was announced tomorrow. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

Andy Enfield, USC

Fran McCaffery, Iowa*

Tad Boyle, Colorado*

Greg Gard, Wisconsin*

Mike White, Florida

*would likely never seriously consider leaving their current gig, and would simply leverage any smoke or fire into a raise and extension. 

I'm shocked you like Enfield when the Mobley family saved his career single handedly. He was headed towards the exact same path as Shaka until all 3 of them made their way to his campus.

• Hook 'Em 4

15 minutes ago, Teryor said:

I'm shocked you like Enfield when the Mobley family saved his career single handedly. He was headed towards the exact same path as Shaka until all 3 of them made their way to his campus.

i didn't say i liked him, just that he's on the list of second tier coaches that we might consider before hiring Royal. FTR he's not someone i personally would be interested in. 

8 hours ago, Machinator said:

Here's where we're at:

Unrealistic ceiling: moneywhipping Few, Bennett, Scott Drew, Jay Wright, or any coach at a blue blood / historical basketball power (Louisville, Michigan State, etc.). Billy Donovan. Any NBA head coach, for that matter.

Mostly unrealistic ceiling: our entire BMD corps suddenly falling in love with basketball and putting up an obscene amount of money to buy out Nate Oats and bring him to Texas. Brad Underwood (at his dream job). Leonard Hamilton (too old).

The realistic ceiling: Dana Altman, Eric Musselman, Chris Beard. Decent chance of all them tell us no, but if you squint hard enough you can come up with scenarios where any of them leave for Texas, if we pay up.

Wild card: John Beilein, if he wants to return to coaching. I think he's done, but worth kicking the tires.

Not happening for other reasons: Rick Pitino (old, NCAA violations history), Kelvin Sampson (old, no interest in leaving UH), Rick Barnes

The floor: Royal Ivey - could be our Juwan Howard, could be a bust. We have no idea.

I don't think that muscleman is realistic. He has a great situation in Arkansas, which is debatably a better bball job than UT.

8 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

Mike White, Florida

Sheesh, I sure as hell hope not. I am hoping the Gators send him packing and want him nowhere near Austin.  That guy sucks as bad as Shaka at coaching and is a much worse recruiter.

8 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

Andy Enfield, USC

Fran McCaffery, Iowa*

Tad Boyle, Colorado*

Greg Gard, Wisconsin*

Mike White, Florida

I agree with you on Buzz. We both know that's not happening for a litany of reasons. I'd rather take a shot on another mid-major coach (or Ivey) then pursue those other names.

6 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Transfer season is starting to get going for CBB and will really move once the tournament’s done. We need to move on from Shaka and do it quickly, so the new coach has time to bring in 3-4 transfers to salvage the tire fire of a 2021 roster Shaka’s put together. 

There's literally been over 100 players that have entered the portal in the last 24 hours, it's wild

On 3/22/2021 at 7:52 AM, 6th Street said:

Chris Beard has a $13M buyout 

On 3/22/2021 at 8:18 AM, SizzleChest said:

Add in Shaka's buyout, and we're at $20M.  Then you have to add in his new contract, assistant contracts, etc. 

Anyone who think that's a slam dunk is kidding themselves.  Possible, but I give it about a 5% chance at this point.

I'm confused about Beard's buyout. 

This BON article from 2019 states that Beard's new contract has a Big 12 "poison pill" that doubles the buyout for any Big 12 school. In 2019 the buyout was $3 million for a non-big 12 school, which would put it at $6 million in 2019.

This article from Inside the Hall (Indiana site) published a week ago states that Beard's buyout is currently $2.5 million, and drops to $2 million on April 1st. Which would put his buyout for a Big 12 school at $4 million.

Which means Texas' total price tag for hiring him (including Shaka's buyout) would be $11 million, not $20 million. Where are you guys getting these numbers of 13 and 20?

Edited by CurlyDumps

2 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

I'm confused about Beard's buyout. 

This BON article from 2019 states that Beard's new contract has a Big 12 "poison pill" that doubles the buyout for any Big 12 school. In 2019 the buyout was $3 million for a non-big 12 school, which would put it at $6 million in 2019.

This article from Inside the Hall (Indiana site) published a week ago states that Beard's buyout is currently $2.5 million, and drops to $2 million on April 1st. Which would put his buyout for a Big 12 school at $4 million.

Which means Texas' total price tag for hiring him (including Shaka's buyout) would be $11 million, not $20 million. Where are you guys getting these numbers of 13 and 20?

13 and 20 were incorrect numbers.  It's 11.