UT's next basketball coach - discussion/debate

alphahorn

48 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

I'm not endorsing him for the UT job, but it got me to thinking about Kyle Keller at SFA.  I know they were banned from the tourney this year and their conference tourney due to some shady stuff concerning APR.   

So I guess I wonder how much this effected his chances for any movement into coaching in bigger programs.  

Keller was clean in that - it’s actually bullshit the ncaa did this yet let’s NC, Arizona, Kansas etc walk. 

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Nowhichski said:

Isn't it considered bad karma to take a coach from a school in your conference? Don't remember it working out well on most occasions? 

Only examples I can think of are in football:  Steve Sarkisian (from Washington to USC) and Tommy Tuberville (from Ole Miss to Auburn).  I'm not sure if Sarkisian's drinking can be chalked up to bad karma, and Auburn had a pretty good run with Tuberville until a 5-7 record in his last year.

1 minute ago, South Austin said:

Only examples I can think of are in football:  Steve Sarkisian (from Washington to USC) and Tommy Tuberville (from Ole Miss to Auburn).  I'm not sure if Sarkisian's drinking can be chalked up to bad karma, and Auburn had a pretty good run with Tuberville until a 5-7 record in his last year.

Dan Mullen from Mississippi State to Florida.

• Like 1

David McWilliams from Tech to Texas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

Btw, that info coming from the hope traffickers that NBA guys would band together to go above and beyond to help Ivey recruit?  That sounds like kids *swearing* they’ll help take care of that new puppy if you bring it home.

Eh, it's been documented that K has used his position as Team USA coach to put people like KD on the phone to talk to recruits about his experience under K. Really not unreasonable for Ivey to have a scuffed Texas only version of that.

11 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

I was a sophomore at UT when that happened and even I knew it was a bad idea.

It's kind of hilarious in retrospect. He had been a head coach for one year and went 7-5. We'd lose our shit if that happened today. It would be like Blake Gideon going to TCU for a year.

7 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

Really?  There's not a single reasonable explanation? Not one?

if Ivey was some JAG who was interviewing for a spot that was already filled then fine. but he's not. he's somewhat of a modern Texas hoops legend who's got KD and the rest of his NBA pals watching closely as he interviews for a job at his alma mater. if the meeting was 15 minutes long it better be because they spent one minute hiring followed by 14 minutes of popping bottles. otherwise that's some real disrespect towards someone who we should be wrapping our arms around and embracing. 

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, 6th Street said:

To be fair I bet IU would love to have Ivey now instead of Mike Woodson lol. Some of them thought Brad Stevens was coming 

https://indiana.forums.rivals.com/forums/thehoosier-com-iu-hoop-forum.32/

If I may offer some words of consolation to Hoosier fans: at least you're not Marquette.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SizzleChest said:

The longer this goes, the more opportunity there is for 1) Tech to pull together an attractive enough response to Beard's demands (some of it likely requires a little more time) and 2) the Portal is churning.  Guys will start flying off the board - a lot of the frontline guys have already committed.  So, something gets announced in the next few days.  There is no reason to sit on it.  I think the April 1st buyout date is key, but it's less than 3 days away now, so in the immediate term, it's not that important.

Your first point seems way off. Tech is not going to take time to pull together an offer. They offered him a blank check and everything he wants right away. Any delay on this is not on Tech’s end taking time to make an offer.  Every day this drags on makes it less likely he’ll stay at Tech. 

6 hours ago, Bitterwhiteguy said:

A couple of logistical reasons why Beard doesn't seem likely to me, neither of which have anything to do with what happens on the court:

1. Hocutt is in some trouble right now; his football hire is failing and the boosters have been starting to talk of rebellion (remember the talk about hiring Briles a few months back) and he needs a W. If he loses Beard - especially to Texas - he might as well log into LinkedIn today. So Hocutt is motivated to keep Beard, and that's probably where (if true) the tenure-type offers are coming from.
  2. Texas paying their basketball coach more than their football coach could backfire for CDC because then Sark & Beard could play off each other every year about why they should be getting paid more than the other guy. If Sark wins 9+ games, he can go to CDC and say he's the big-money earner and deserves 6m+; if Beard follows with a S16 or E8 season, he can say he's winning more than Sark in his field and should leapfrog him again. It gets messy quickly for CDC, and a different basketball hire likely avoids all of this.

Everything about the math for Beard doesn't make sense to me, the smarter play from CDC's POV is likely Ivey where he can sell an alumni returning home for way less cash and less fundraising requirements from boosters. I don't pretend to know what CDC will do but to me the choice is pretty clear, to the point I can see Beard and his April 1 buyout date being a helpful smokescreen that gives CDC time to vet/interview other candidates.

In what world is hiring an unproven guy with no college or HC experience the smarter play by CDC? If Ivey fails, CDC will get the criticism for hiring an unproven, inexperienced candidate. If Beard fails, CDC won’t get much backlash at all because Beard had the resume and was largely thought of by the fan base and donors to be the best option. The smarter play for him is undoubtedly taking Beard from Tech. 

Also, the dueling salaries thing won’t be a problem to him. He just got rid of Shaka with no buyout and he’s an excellent fundraiser. The prospect of having to pay his football and basketball coaches more money because they’re successful is not going to scare him off. That’s his dream. He could raise the money for that in his sleep.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, swonie said:

David McWilliams from Tech to Texas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Tech already extended Beard they may want to hold off on the announcement and keep Texas guessing for a couple days, not a lot of downside. Alternatively, Beard may be holding out to get his assistants pay raises and playing both sides for a while. Doesn’t matter. We will know one way or another soon. 

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Your first point seems way off. Tech is not going to take time to pull together an offer. They offered him a blank check and everything he wants right away. Any delay on this is not on Tech’s end taking time to make an offer.  Every day this drags on makes it less likely he’ll stay at Tech. 

idiocracy doctor.gif

• Haha 2