UT's next basketball coach - discussion/debate

alphahorn

1 minute ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

No I’m saying let him have his day in court. If every police report was correct we wouldn’t have wrongful convictions. We have a legal system that decides guilt not posters on surly. If he is then yes fire him.

So you think we should wait until his trial is complete to make a decision about retaining him?

34 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

No I’m saying let him have his day in court. If every police report was correct we wouldn’t have wrongful convictions. We have a legal system that decides guilt not posters on surly. If he is then yes fire him.

Employment isn't a civil right.  If the boss thinks you're a detriment to the company, he can fire your ass.  In this case, there is even a contract that no doubt has "cause" stipulations which limit or zero out any remaining monies due.

UT isn't a court of law.  If the university thinks Beard's employment is detrimental to our brand, then fire him, and if he wants to punch back, so be it.  The bar to clear is unrelated to that for criminal court.

• Hook 'Em 4

33 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I mean that could take a year or more. We can't just let our program decay in limbo while we wait for Chris Beard to fight it out in court.

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, Orale said:
1 hour ago, Sheep Have Wool said:
So you think we should wait until his trial is complete to make a decision about retaining him?

Criminal defense attorney here. Can we at least wait to hear the facts? Admittedly I haven't read this thread or followed the story.

It’s not looking too good for the good guys, well or the bad guy. Police report which isn’t conclusive we get it, is shockingly bad.  Employment agreement for cause termination rights for UT already firmly crossed. It’s over.

Rodney Terry almost assuredly isn't the long term answer but let's at least acknowledge that he had the hardest coaching job in America tonight. 

He may wind up being terrible he may wind up being pretty good but we're going to need some more data points in the coming weeks. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Rodney Terry almost assuredly isn't the long term answer but let's at least acknowledge that he had the hardest coaching job in America tonight. 

He may wind up being terrible he may wind up being pretty good but we're going to need some more data points in the coming weeks. 

Agree he in difficult circumstances and did well but didn’t see him call TO once when badly losing focus on defense.  That seemed like big red flag to me but in fairness, that was Beard’s speciality which I loved.

I mean it’s highly possible Terry grows into the role. I think he’s a good coach for a G5 school. He may have grown and learned and can maybe do this, but I doubt it. Tonight had some weird decisions and adjustments (lack of?) that Beard wouldn’t have done. But like I said, it’s highly possible he grows into the role as the season progresses and surprises us. 

I will say I saw Donewald doing a lot of coaching as well not just in the huddle. He was up on the sidelines too, and I only started to pay attention to this because I thought this crew was going to warn the UT bench for it. This might be a co-coaching situation behind the scenes with Terry being the named leader. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

Agree he in difficult circumstances and did well but didn’t see him call TO once when badly losing focus on defense.  That seemed like big red flag to me but in fairness, that was Beard’s speciality which I loved.

I'm going to largely give him and the players a pass for tonight. Like you said there are things you can point to that Beard would have done differently or figured out sooner but the players are a huge part of that equation as well. 

They were collectively - as a staff and team - handed a shit sandwich first thing this morning and asked to win a basketball game despite it. I want to see how they play on Sunday. That game will tell us a lot more imo. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Js1 said:

Glancing at the current top 25:

• Highly unlikely to jump - Painter, Bennett, Self, Drew, Calipari, Few, Scheyer, Gard, Holtmann, Larranaga
  • Big old no thanks: Sampson (too old), Pearl (lol), Dixon, Underwood
  • Still have a lot to prove: Janhs, Willard, Young
  • No Rick Barnes 2.0
  • Muss, Oates, Hurley, Lloyd, Cronin? 

I assume Janhs is Chris Jans. Might want to vet that one a little bit. He had to do a couple years of rehab at WSU after being fired at Bowling Green for a bar altercation with a woman. Rehabbed by Gregg Marshall. Think about that. 

1 hour ago, Lowcountry Hog said:

Bwahahaha

1 hour ago, Lowcountry Hog said:

Bingo bango 

Arkansas is a 2nd tier college basketball job - no better than Texas. And actually worse by every metric except history. 

I don't know if he would leave Arkansas for Texas but there are some better jobs than Texas not even including NBA jobs. 

11 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

Not if he still preens his hair every two seconds.

Or continues to not coach basketball worth a shit. 

10 hours ago, Pancho said:

I mean it’s highly possible Terry grows into the role. I think he’s a good coach for a G5 school. He may have grown and learned and can maybe do this, but I doubt it. Tonight had some weird decisions and adjustments (lack of?) that Beard wouldn’t have done. But like I said, it’s highly possible he grows into the role as the season progresses and surprises us. 

I will say I saw Donewald doing a lot of coaching as well not just in the huddle. He was up on the sidelines too, and I only started to pay attention to this because I thought this crew was going to warn the UT bench for it. This might be a co-coaching situation behind the scenes with Terry being the named leader. 

As the Miner on the board, I'll say the general consensus was Terry is a recruiter, not a head coach.

4 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

People I’m thinking of y’all wouldn’t like so…(I mean shit…this really isn’t my sport. I’m out of my element)…What about Sean Miller? (Ducks runs and hides behind couch)…

I'd like to see what he does at Xavier. 

He had a paying players allegation/investigation while he was at Zona but in this day and age I'm not sure who would give a shit anymore. I think the bigger hang up would be that he hasn't had a great season coaching since 2015. 

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Arkansas is a 2nd tier college basketball job - no better than Texas. And actually worse by every metric except history. 

I don't know if he would leave Arkansas for Texas but there are some better jobs than Texas not even including NBA jobs. 

Or continues to not coach basketball worth a shit. 

Yea Steve Nash was the problem in Brooklyn lol

8 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Yea Steve Nash was the problem in Brooklyn lol

He wasn't the solution. New guy seems to be doing okay. 

It doesn't matter. Texas isn't hiring Steve Nash. If they hire an NBA coach with zero college experience it will be Ivey.

Also - you're aware that Durant wanted him out in BKN and that that relationship had soured, correct? I don't think potentially irritating Texas basketball's most important alumni would be a good move. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

He wasn't the solution. New guy seems to be doing okay. 

It doesn't matter. Texas isn't hiring Steve Nash. If they hire an NBA coach with zero college experience it will be Ivey.

New guy has his whole team for every game.

You don’t know if we would hire Nash or not.  No one here has any ideas because we are literally a day into the process and still technically have a coach. This is all speculation. 

Ivey doesn’t just have no college experience, he has no coaching experience as a head coach at any level.

17 minutes ago, ztejas said:

He had a paying players allegation/investigation while he was at Zona but in this day and age I'm not sure who would give a shit anymore. I think the bigger hang up would be that he hasn't had a great season coaching since 2015. 

With NIL in full force, you'd think that no school gives a shit about prior allegations of paying players. 

And Miller's record since 2015 has been decent enough.  32-5 in 2016-17, 27-8 in 2017-18, 17-15 in 2018-19, 21-11 in 2019-20, and 17-9 in 2020-21.

I'm not saying he should be on the short list, but it's worth a discussion.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

New guy has his whole team for every game.

No he doesn't. They just won a game with every starter resting. Simmons has missed probably half the games he's coached. 

17 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Ivey doesn’t just have no college experience, he has no coaching experience as a head coach at any level.

Ivey played basketball at Texas, for starters. By all accounts he has a great relationship with KD and probably other former players like LMA. 

I'm not sure why you think Nash's two seasons coaching the Nets is particularly relevant experience for running a college basketball program. Especially when literally any other coach in the league could have led that team to similar results. 

Ivey wouldn't be first on my list, for what it's worth. 

And to your point about not knowing anything - I am fairly confident we are not hiring Nash without KD's blessing. Which I don't think he would get. 

Edited by ztejas

14 minutes ago, South Austin said:

With NIL in full force, you'd think that no school gives a shit about prior allegations of paying players. 

And Miller's record since 2015 has been decent enough.  32-5 in 2016-17, 27-8 in 2017-18, 17-15 in 2018-19, 21-11 in 2019-20, and 17-9 in 2020-21.

I'm not saying he should be on the short list, but it's worth a discussion.

You're right. Should have included that 2017 season. 30 wins and SS. 

I still would like to see him do a decent job at Xavier this season. 

4 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

The first calls you make are Brad Stevens and Jay Wright. 95% chance they both say no but you take the shot anyway.

More realistic candidates - Ivey, Muss (unlikely to leave imo), Oats, Lloyd. Not sure any of them would leave other than probably Ivey.

I dunno, man.  You think we can pull Ivey away from head coach of the South Sudan national team?

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

The first calls you make are Brad Stevens and Jay Wright. 95% chance they both say no but you take the shot anyway.

More realistic candidates - Ivey, Muss (unlikely to leave imo), Oats, Lloyd. Not sure any of them would leave other than probably Ivey.

Do we call Coach K and Phil Jackson to see if they will be assistants? Brad Stevens literally runs one of the preeminent professional sports franchises...if you think there is even a five percent chance he leaves for a college job, I'll take some of whatever you are smoking.

I do think Ivey is most likely the guy. I still can't believe this is happening. A week ago we were a missed free throw away from being the #1 team in the country and now we are the epitome of a dumpster fire.

• Hook 'Em 6

So we can put this to rest...

Brad Stevens is the president of basketball operations for the Boston Celtics - who currently have the best record in the NBA and are coming off of a Finals appearance. He likely makes close to if not more than $10M a year. He turned down a 7 year $70M offer from Indiana just over 18 months ago and that was before the Celtics made the Finals. 

He is not in the same boat as Jay Wright who is currently unemployed and still theoretically young enough to head another program for 5-10 years. Wright would maybe entertain a conversation and get a vacation and some nice meals out of it.

The Boston Celtics are telling you to go fuck yourself as soon as you tell them you have a job offer for Stevens.

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

So we can put this to rest...

Brad Stevens is the president of basketball operations for the Boston Celtics - who currently have the best record in the NBA and are coming off of a Finals appearance. He likely makes close to if not more than $10M a year. He turned down a 7 year $70M offer from Indiana just over 18 months ago and that was before the Celtics made the Finals. 

He is not in the same boat as Jay Wright who is currently unemployed and still theoretically young enough to head another program for 5-10 years. Wright would maybe entertain a conversation and get a vacation and some nice meals out of it.

The Boston Celtics are telling you to go fuck yourself as soon as you tell them you have a job offer for Stevens.

steve-carell-thankyou.gif

Brad Stevens??? Lololol.  I mean... wow.  

Also, HARD pass on Steve Nash. It is looking more and more like he was a big part of the problem in Brooklyn. He has no leadership ability as a head coach IMO.  Had the Nets at 2-5 this year. After firing him, they have gone 15-7, including winning the last 8 of 9.  

18 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

I originally said it jokingly but I really would like us to go after Nash if he would be interested in such a thing. Ivey was on staff at BKN with him and he has the ties to KD. I also don’t see how he wouldn’t be an incredible influence and recruiter. 

By "the ties to KD" do you mean like when KD demanded he be fired this last off-season?

25 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Also, HARD pass on Steve Nash. It is looking more and more like he was a big part of the problem in Brooklyn. He has no leadership ability as a head coach IMO.  Had the Nets at 2-5 this year. After firing him, they have gone 15-7, including winning the last 8 of 9.  

So Texas should hire Steve Nash and then fire him after seven games?

13 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

By "the ties to KD" do you mean like when KD demanded he be fired this last off-season?

Yup. KD has still spoken well of Nash and has actually said he was “shocked” when Nash was fired. I just don’t think we can read much into KDs decision making. He isn’t a guy who seems to be very thoughtful with his moves sometimes.
Again Nash probably isn’t the guy, but there really aren’t any options that are good. If I am choosing between Nash and someone like Royal Ivey, I’m choosing Nash everytime.