UT's next basketball coach - discussion/debate

alphahorn

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

So "had a nice run 30 years ago" outweighs money, location, facilities & arena and recruiting? 

Arkansas has one national title that none of these kids remember. They aren't Duke. 

Back to Back Elite 8s.  #2 recruiting class this past year.  2 5* coming in next year and a 3rd once Ronald Holland gets out of his NLI to head to Fayetteville.  When's the last time Texas sniffed the Sweet 16?  

Just now, Lowcountry Hog said:

Back to Back Elite 8s.  #2 recruiting class this past year.  2 5* coming in next year and a 3rd once Ronald Holland gets out of his NLI to head to Fayetteville.  When's the last time Texas sniffed the Sweet 16?  

What's the definition of sniffed? We were round of 32 last year.

3 minutes ago, Lowcountry Hog said:

Back to Back Elite 8s.  #2 recruiting class this past year.  2 5* coming in next year and a 3rd once Ronald Holland gets out of his NLI to head to Fayetteville. 

Musselman. Guess what happens when the coach goes away. Texas about to see it first-hand, even with a dynamite hire like your temporary guy.

And shouldn't you be making your yearly reservations in Omaha right now?

3 minutes ago, Lowcountry Hog said:

When is the last time Texas made the second weekend of the dance?  

So "sniffing" means "made the Sweet Sixteen". Weird. I don't get your Arky backwoods terminology.

The last time was Texas' last elite eight appearance in 2008. Winning in March was neither Rick Barnes nor Shaka Smart's specialty but damn could they dazzle in November.

Edited by Valmy77

Nash is as unrealistic as Stevens or Wright. Why would Steve Nash want to wade into the world of college basketball recruiting? That type of business is way beneath someone with the reputation of Steve fucking Nash. By all accounts he is a guy who genuinely cares about the intricacies of the game of basketball, and would take no interest in the extra curriculars required to succeed at the college level. 0% chance he is a serious candidate for this job.

In my mind Texas needs an experienced coach with a track record of stability. Professional and competent should be the criteria - qualities each of our previous two coaches were seriously lacking in their own respective ways. Names like Greg McDermott, Randy Bennett, hell even Chris Mack make sense. I don't see Muss or Oates wanting to leave secure gigs at the P5 level for Texas. Our basketball program isn't appealing enough to make an arguably lateral move. It's more realistic to think we can grab a proven overachiever at the lower level and sell him our huge resource base. 

Ivey, Terry & a Joe Golding type are probable fall back options.

Edited by CheesePie

Even if Terry somehow gets us to the second weekend of the tournament, his recruiting success would probably also have to be there to consider keeping him on right? The whole team is supposed to leave after this season, except Brock right? We desperately need to bring somebody in who can rebuild the roster quickly.

46 minutes ago, ztejas said:

So "had a nice run 30 years ago" outweighs money, location, facilities & arena and recruiting? 

Arkansas has one national title that none of these kids remember. They aren't Duke. 

Arkansas will pay Muss whatever is needed.  Bud Walton not as new and nice but averages almost 20,000 as opposed to 11,000.   Have never had a problem recruiting basketball players to the area.  And no one being honest has a single problem with Northwest Arkansas as a place to live, outside of not liking Arkansas fans.  Don't really see what the attraction to UT would be for a guy who has things rolling at a high level and gets whatever he wants.  Unlike Beard, there's no history to lean on.

That said, I don't think Muss will retire at Arkansas.  I think he will make another run at the NBA if its the right situation.  Or could maybe see him at a blue blood program that awes him like a UK or UNC.  If UCLA paid better, he's a west coast guy.

Hiring the wrong guy can set a program back years and Arkansas made two awful hires back to back - Stan Heath and John Pelphrey.   

Edited by Don Johnson

15 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Ok so who do you think we can get from their current job? Musselman I don’t see any chance but would love to be wrong. There’s not really a ton of coaches doing great things at schools we can poach from

So Beard, Vic Schaefer and Mike White were just chilling and waiting around for Texas to call them, despite already going to Final Fours, Women's College World Series and national champ games? 

Texas will pay.  Good recruiting base state.  Awesome city.  Big NIL.  And CDC is someone people enjoy working for. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2

26 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

Don't really see what the attraction to UT would be for a guy who has things rolling at a high level and gets whatever he wants.

I'm comparing the jobs. I'm not saying that Muss would leave Arkansas for Texas. The idea that he would never leave Arky for anywhere is silly. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Lowcountry Hog said:

Sheesh.  Lubbock U ain't Arkansas.  

Arkansas has it going right now, but they have only finished in the top-25 of the final AP poll 3 times in the last 20 years.   Tech has 5 top-25 finishes over the same stretch.  Even last year, Tech drew a 3 seed to Arkansas' 4 seed with a new coach.  

38 minutes ago, WJC88 said:

Joe Golding is the answer. I know that's not splashy enough for the "We're Texas" crowd but dude can coach. 

"We're Texas" doesn't mean shit in basketball. We were excited for Shaka Smart, we can be excited for Joe Golding or whomever. Provided they can coach.

I’m sure Texas will make a decision in the next few days on what’s going to happen with beard as the coach. To messy of a situation to wait and see what happens. Terry will remain the coach then on to a search with the cliche “we will give terry a fair shake at staying the Texas coach”, when we know they won’t and they will go after big names hoping to get one. I hope they do and we don’t settle on our 4th choice.

Golding doesn't have the resume to be on any big job's radar.  Perhaps if UTEP makes a run, he will begin to get more looks.  He's not ready.  CDC will go after the biggest name possible.  Hard to imagine anyone having the vision and plan Beard did for this job.  Need someone to capitalize on the momentum around the program. 

• Hook 'Em 2

52 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

What sucks is there’s not a coach out there that’s better than Pre-felony charge Chris Beard. Next coach will be a downgrade, it’s just a question of to what extent 

That's why the shit sucks so much. Beard was the one.  And then he started hitting, biting, scratching and choking women.

Again, it's like someone has taken a giant needle and stuck it in a gigantic ballon of optimism and promise. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Pancho said:

I mean it’s highly possible Terry grows into the role. I think he’s a good coach for a G5 school. He may have grown and learned and can maybe do this, but I doubt it. Tonight had some weird decisions and adjustments (lack of?) that Beard wouldn’t have done. But like I said, it’s highly possible he grows into the role as the season progresses and surprises us. 

I will say I saw Donewald doing a lot of coaching as well not just in the huddle. He was up on the sidelines too, and I only started to pay attention to this because I thought this crew was going to warn the UT bench for it. This might be a co-coaching situation behind the scenes with Terry being the named leader. 

Terry was a far better coach at Fresno than his predecessor and his successor. He took over a program ravaged by Tarkanian, then cleaned up by Steve Cleveland, that was not good on the court. He got Fresno about where the fan base expected it.

Amidst all kinds of budget issues at Fresno, he took a lateral move to UTEP. Why? Maybe it was a TX guy returning to TX? The FSU hoops program hasn't even come close to Terry’s level since. 

Jesus Christ, people.

Brad Stevens doesn't even return our call personally.  He has his assistant do it, and he doesn't even tell her to try to keep a straight face while she tells us that while he thanks us for our interest, he won't be looking for an exit ramp from his dream job for at least twenty more years.

• Hook 'Em 1

There are only a handful of schools in the country who have legit NIL support for basketball and Texas is one of them. It is a very attractive job with a new arena and re-energized fan base that now realizes basketball can be more than just a stopgap between the football season and spring football.

Basketball rebuilds have become about 2 years long with the portal nowadays, if that. Yes, there is a high probability we are going to see extremely high attrition from both our current roster and recruiting class, but any coach who has half of brain that isn't at one of the 5-6 true basketball bluebloods would have at least some interest in Texas.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2

Good lord, people.  UT and Austin offer so much more than bumfuck Arkansas (redundant).  Huge NIL, fertile recruiting base, and it's not in bumfuck Arkansas (redundant).

Don't entertain this argument from some random pig fan.  Musselman may or may not be interested in a move, but if he isn't, it's not because Arkansas is some holy grail of college basketball destinations.  More than likely, he would just want to finish the job, which he is a long way from doing, and soon he is going to have to COMPETE with us.

I'm not saying he's my choice, I don't know who I'd target, but I don't think Musselman is by definition unattainable.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, chemHORN said:

Quin Snyder is available.  Has both College and NBA experience and has coached in Austin before. We could do worse if we are in need of a new coach. 

That’s actually a good shout although he flamed out at Mizzou pretty badly. But he had some success there and has legit NBA experience. You’re right that we could definitely do worse

58 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

That’s actually a good shout although he flamed out at Mizzou pretty badly. But he had some success there and has legit NBA experience. You’re right that we could definitely do worse

I do hope CDC’s coaching search is a little more inspiring than “we could definitely do worse than this guy”

Edited by Js1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Good lord, people.  UT and Austin offer so much more than bumfuck Arkansas (redundant).  Huge NIL, fertile recruiting base, and it's not in bumfuck Arkansas (redundant).

Don't entertain this argument from some random pig fan.  Musselman may or may not be interested in a move, but if he isn't, it's not because Arkansas is some holy grail of college basketball destinations.  More than likely, he would just want to finish the job, which he is a long way from doing, and soon he is going to have to COMPETE with us.

I'm not saying he's my choice, I don't know who I'd target, but I don't think Musselman is by definition unattainable.

Not saying it’s him or not but if he says no it’s not because he’s got a job to finish it’s because he’s a bumfuck who likes living in bumfuck. Crystal bridges blah blah yeah I get it. Still banjo country. 

• Haha 2