UT's next basketball coach - discussion/debate

alphahorn

I mentioned this about a month ago but a HC on my list would be Sean Miller. I know some would like to see how he does at Xavier first…but imo he’s a candidate. Not the only candidate. Maybe not even my top candidate but he’s on my list. 

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Nicole44 said:

I mentioned this about a month ago but a HC on my list would be Sean Miller. I know some would like to see how he does at Xavier first…but imo he’s a candidate. Not the only. Maybe not even too candidate but he’s on my list. 

He's killing it at Xavier. 

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I’d cut both my balls off and eat them for everything calapari has done at kentucky and do that here over the next 8 years.

Lose in the 1st Rd to St Peter’s?  Lose to Bruce Weber/Bruce Pearl in the NCAAT, Auburn w/out their top player?  

• Rage+1 1

I swear to Christ if CDC is guilted into hiring Terry. He’s getting a lot of love on social media right now along with Ivey. 

I *think* Ivey can keep Terry on staff and with Ivey’s connections, keep making it rain dolla dolla bills 5 star recruits with the help of Durant. Keep Donewald and I could come around—maybe. 

To succeed in CBB, you can’t just recruit. You’ve got to be able to coach, understand mismatches, etc. One of the problems with Calipari is his offense is stale, yet he keeps getting 5 stars. With Cal, part of me thinks he wants to stick it to Kentucky. What better way to do that than to hire an OC, come to Texas, and win a NC. 

Now Gerry is saying a former UT player is suggesting….…

.…

Rick fucking Barnes—hire Rick for 3 years with Ivey as AHC for the grooming. 

And for those who idiotically keep suggesting Donovan and Wright (and Stevens):

461FC881-7194-4E8F-B8E8-5DE1BE4D78BC.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Pancho said:

I swear to Christ if CDC is guilted into hiring Terry. He’s getting a lot of love on social media right now along with Ivey. 

I *think* Ivey can keep Terry on staff and with Ivey’s connections, keep making it rain dolla dolla bills 5 star recruits with the help of Durant. Keep Donewald and I could come around—maybe. 

To succeed in CBB, you can’t just recruit. You’ve got to be able to coach, understand mismatches, etc. One of the problems with Calipari is his offense is stale, yet he keeps getting 5 stars. With Cal, part of me thinks he wants to stick it to Kentucky. What better way to do that than to hire an OC, come to Texas, and win a NC. 

Now Gerry is saying a former UT player is suggesting….…

.…

Rick fucking Barnes—hire Rick for 3 years with Ivey as AHC for the grooming. 

And for those who idiotically keep suggesting Donovan and Wright (and Stevens):

461FC881-7194-4E8F-B8E8-5DE1BE4D78BC.jpeg

The point about the football coach making more is honestly a good one.

Outside of that you're presenting a bizarre appeal to authority. Gerry doesn't know more about Donovan or Wright than anyone here. 

3 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I highly doubt Gerry has any inside info on any of these coaches. He's just repeating the talking points with all those coaches. I don't expect any of those coaches to be hired but Gerry has no clue if they're attainable or not based on any actual inside info. 

Anyone with a clue knows we aren’t getting those coaches. The point I think he was trying to make is you don’t need a scoop from me to know these are nonstarters. 

Look, making an argument about salary is foolish.  We have more money than God, and we just set the standard for "doing things the right way".  I don't give a flip what our coaches make, it's not my money, and I certainly don't give a flip if the new men's basketball coach makes significantly more than Sark.  

Sark can start getting $8M or more per year once he starts performing at that level.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Anyone with a clue knows we aren’t getting those coaches. The point I think he was trying to make is you don’t need a scoop from me to know these are nonstarters. 

I would say it's unlikely but anyone making absolute statements in reference to coaching searches hasn't followed coaching searches.

Weird shit happens all the time. Riley to USC and Kelly to LSU would have been laughed at as nonstarters a year ago. I never rule anything out in coaching searches and if you take a coaches word on "I'm done coaching" let me sell you some ice. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Pancho said:

If it's a money issue then fine. But it shouldn't be a money issue. 

If it isn't a money issue then thinking that Donovan or Wright are total non-options is silly. 

Well whoever it is won’t be till April so we’re stuck with Terry for 3 months. Let’s hope Tuesday was just a distracted team and now that beard is officially gone they can focus and move on and kick ass again. 

rodney terry has every opportunity to prove he’s ready for this job. 

I say if he makes the sweet 16 CDC will hire him as the head coach. 

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Look, making an argument about salary is foolish.  We have more money than God, and we just set the standard for "doing things the right way".  I don't give a flip what our coaches make, it's not my money, and I certainly don't give a flip if the new men's basketball coach makes significantly more than Sark.  

Yes but Sark cares if the basketball coach makes more. And football pays the bills. 

1 hour ago, Tex-19 said:

Here's another longshot wildcard name - former Austin Toros HC (lol) Quin Snyder. Currently the Jazz coach but in the last year of his contract and reportedly turned down an extension last year. Quite a few summer articles about how his future was unclear. 

Snyder left the Jazz last June. Outstanding coach with a great basketball mind. Highly respected in Utah but also highly strung and thus took a step back from the game. He'll be sought after in the league when he decides to come back. When that is, who knows.

3 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Well whoever it is won’t be till April so we’re stuck with Terry for 3 months. Let’s hope Tuesday was just a distracted team and now that beard is officially gone they can focus and move on and kick ass again. 

rodney terry has every opportunity to prove he’s ready for this job. 

I say if he makes the sweet 16 CDC will hire him as the head coach. 

In 2018 Mississippi State baseball lost their head coach to extra circular/off field shenannigans, the interim guy lead them to the college world series and got coach of the year awards.  He was not retained, and 2 years later the bulldogs won the national championship for the first time.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Sark should probably win first. 

Texas does stupid shit in lieu of winning all the fucking time. Why would they not do something stupid like refuse to pay the basketball coach more than the football coach? 

They probably will do something dumb like that. 

Just now, Texas St. Armadillos said:

This better than some of the options mentioned.   

I half jokingly mentioned her name as one of the first entries post Beard scandal. 

The "Texas will never pay more for a basketball coach than a football coach" has always been fucking dumb. It completely disregards context. 

Sark will only make $5.4 million next season which isn't that much money in football terms. Do people actually fucking believe Texas wouldn't pony up 5.5 to 6 million if that's what it took to get one of the best coaches in the country in basketball? 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, petscii said:

In 2018 Mississippi State baseball lost their head coach to extra circular/off field shenannigans, the interim guy lead them to the college world series and got coach of the year awards.  He was not retained, and 2 years later the bulldogs won the national championship for the first time.  

So no one thinks he can keep the job. I was kinda tossing it out as me wondering. I wonder how far we have to get for him to be retained. I personally don’t want him long term. 

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

Sark will only make $5.4 million next season which isn't that much money in football terms. Do people actually fucking believe Texas wouldn't pony up 5.5 to 6 million if that's what it took to get one of the best coaches in the country in basketball? 

Dude we're talking about the difference between 5.4 and ~8 million. Not 5.4 and 5.5. Don't be intentionally obtuse. Maybe look up what the top dogs in college are making. 

Also - anyone here is welcome to find me an example of a football school paying their basketball coach more than their football coach. Please. I'm all ears. 

It's a great point that Gerry brought up and it's probably going to fuck Texas basketball over. 

Is there a chance that Texas breaks the bank and throws 5/40 at someone? Sure. Of course there is. 

But I'd like to see it before assuming that they're going to do something like that. 

Sark is WAY down the list in terms of salary among D1 football coaches.  He is not unaware of his lack of bargaining power.

Again, he can go find more somewhere else if it pisses him off that UT money-whips an established top-line basketball coach.  (And I like Sark, but come on.  He came here as an assistant trying to resurrect his career after he drank himself out of one the best jobs in football.  He has very little leverage, especially after 5-7 and 8-5.)

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Dude we're talking about the difference between 5.4 and ~8 million. Not 5.4 and 5.5. Don't be intentionally obtuse. Maybe look up what the top dogs in college are making. 

Yeah but the point is the talking point is stupid. 

When I see somebody say "the basketball coach will never make more money than the football coach" I almost immediately ignore their input. Matter of fact, I'm willing to bet the next basketball coach at Texas makes more than Sark. 

Beard was making close to Sark's salary and they got him at a discount because this was his dream job. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

Beard was making close to Sark's salary and they got him at a discount because this was his dream job. 

If I recall correctly, we had to bend over backwards to structure Beard's contract such that he came in (initially) below Sark.  At the time, that made some sense.  Now?  Not so much.

Yeah but the point is the talking point is stupid. 

When I see somebody say "the basketball coach will never make more money than the football coach" I almost immediately ignore their input. Matter of fact, I'm willing to bet the next coach at Texas makes more than Sark. 

I hope you're right I just have reservations. 

Again - what football school is currently paying their bball coach more? 

Part of the reason Beard made close to what Sark did is that Beard was a proven, home-run hire with significant HC experience and Sark was a bit of a roll of the dice. And Beard STILL didn't make more. 

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

If I recall correctly, we had to bend over backwards to structure Beard's contract such that he came in (initially) below Sark.  At the time, that made some sense.  Now?  Not so much.

Holy shit dude so you're basically admitting that there's credence to the point that Gerry made. 

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Holy shit dude so you're basically admitting that there's credence to the point that Gerry made. 

There's no credence. If an average coach like Sark is upset over Texas paying a basketball coach more money he should kick rocks. If the decision makers are unwilling to pay a basketball coach more money than an average coach like Sark they should also kick rocks. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

There's no credence. If an average coach like Sark is upset over Texas paying a basketball coach more money he should kick rocks. If the decision makers are unwilling to pay a basketball coach more money than an average coach like Sark they should also kick rocks. 

Obviously I agree with both of those points but y'all are living in theoretical land.

Of course Texas can and should pay the next bball coach more.

Let me know when it happens.

I - again - obviously hope it does.

And - for the record - there absolutely is credence as his point was that Texas is unlikely to pay the bball coach more. Neither of you is disproving that. All you're saying is that they SHOULD pay the bball coach more. 

Edited by ztejas

9 minutes ago, ztejas said:

No, I'm not.  When Beard was hired, Sark hadn't coached a game at Texas.  Although Beard had success at Tech, it wasn't as if we were hiring Bill Self or Tom Izzo.  He made about $5M at Tech, and was hired for essentially the same amount.  The top guys in basketball are $8M-$11M.  

Now the idea of "football coach must make the most hurr durr" has taken some hits, given that we haven't fired the current coach and his performance has been, shall we say, less than stellar.  I'm not suggesting we offer $8M or whatever to a guy like Oats, he doesn't make nearly that much now and we could probably get someone of that "rising star, not yet fully proven" caliber for what we paid Beard.  I'm just saying the idea of money-whipping a legend shouldn't be dismissed out of hand.

Edited by jimmyjazz

21 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

So no one thinks he can keep the job. I was kinda tossing it out as me wondering. I wonder how far we have to get for him to be retained. I personally don’t want him long term. 

Why not hire the best coach possible?   Let's see how things shake out.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm just saying the idea of money-whipping a legend shouldn't be dismissed out of hand.

I'm not dismissing it. I'm saying it's an interesting wrinkle and it seems like some bullshit that Texas would pull. 

Sorry if I'm being combative - it seems like we're all on a similar page.

I mean if it were up to me we'd throw 5/60 at someone and tell Sark to fuck off. 

Edited by ztejas

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I'm not dismissing it. I'm saying it's an interesting wrinkle and it seems like some bullshit that Texas would pull. 

I half expect UT brass to have gotten a taste of our basketball potential and release the financial Kraken.  They have the new Moody Center to promote as well.

And, I half expect them to be typical dumb Texas football first types and screw this up.  

Fortunately, there is some middle ground, as it appears Sark is paid more than all but the top 3 active coaches (top 4 if we include Jay Wright, who isn't active).  So, the Texas job should be a raise for almost everyone in the discussion AND we could avoid offending Sark's delicate sensibilities.