UT's next basketball coach - discussion/debate

alphahorn

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

The flip side of that argument is (a) delta to other buyouts (more like $10M) and (b) no buyout of Beard.

I was honestly not aware that standard contractual buyouts for top coaches had risen so much. That's a big slap of reality. 

I remember when Deloss didn't even bother negotiating buyouts, with the attitude of, "Who would want to leave? If you're actively looking for a job somewhere else, just go. We'll find someone else who wants it more than you do."

Not a boomer, but Gen X, so close enough. 

I know this athletic department prints money, but paying a $9.8 million buyout for Oats is a ton. We purposely awaited an extra week to engage with Beard so his buyout would drop from $5 million to $4 million. Paying over double that for the next coach seems like a major stretch.

4 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I know this athletic department prints money, but paying a $9.8 million buyout for Oats is a ton. We purposely awaited an extra week to engage with Beard so his buyout would drop from $5 million to $4 million. Paying over double that for the next coach seems like a major stretch.

CDC has to nail this hire. Beard started to build something and we saw real potential in the program. Going cheap would show that CDC/Texas isn’t committed to winning. Cronin’s is maybe a bridge too far. The others are what they are. 

8 minutes ago, Js1 said:

CDC has to nail this hire. Beard started to build something and we saw real potential in the program. Going cheap would show that CDC/Texas isn’t committed to winning. Cronin’s is maybe a bridge too far. The others are what they are. 

It ain’t my money so I’m willing to buy anyone out. I just think there is a difference between being committed to winning and being a tad reckless.

17 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

But Oats makes more than $2M less than Beard did.  The AD will account for everything.

12 minutes ago, Pancho said:

How is that anywhere close to being reckless?

To me, a $9.8 million buyout for a basketball coach is a ton. That is on top of paying out the contracts for the current staff in place (Terry was hired on a 3-year deal at 500k a year) and bringing on new assistants/support staff.

If they are all in on the guy then go ahead I don’t have a problem with it. Just pointing out that it would take the kind of commitment level that goes beyond what we showed even when we brought in Beard.

Edited by Hookem2147

8 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

To me, a $9.8 million buyout for a basketball coach is a ton. That is on top of paying out the contracts for the current staff in place (Terry was hired on a 3-year deal at 500k a year) and bringing on new assistants/support staff.

If they are all in on the guy then go ahead I don’t have a problem with it. Just pointing out that it would take the kind of commitment level that goes beyond what we showed even when we brought in Beard.

Reckless implies UT doesn’t care, especially if the AD is hurting for money (which they are not). 

I’m not in your brain, but I wouldn’t see the above as reckless. I’d probably use the word unusual because you don’t see that type of spending unless it’s football. If the AD spent that money, it shows they are committed. (And they should be after the arena.)

2 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Reckless implies UT doesn’t care, especially if the AD is hurting for money (which they are not). 

I’m not in your brain, but I wouldn’t see the above as reckless. I’d probably use the word unusual because you don’t see that type of spending unless it’s football. If the AD spent that money, it shows they are committed. (And they should be after the arena.)

Maybe reckless wasn’t the best word choice.

I agree. It would be unusual because we haven’t seen it and committing to spending that much in basketball isn’t something we’ve historically done, but we also haven’t had the support/backing we have now.

• Hook 'Em 1

Good article from The Athletic

Spoiler
By Brian Hamilton
Jan 6, 2023

Texas does not have a permanent men’s basketball coach anymore, which is a hairy situation at any time. It’s a holy mess when that’s the case in the middle of the actual basketball season, and the basketball team hopes to chase down a championship or two. Not the time for an existential crisis. Not in a conference that’s a thumbscrew. And yet here Texas is, having to figure itself out all over again at the most difficult time imaginable.

What happens now in Austin, after Chris Beard’s firing on Thursday?

A lot. A whole lot of things happen. Make sure a promising season doesn’t unspool completely. Evaluate the men left in charge of the program. Poke around to see who else might be interested in taking over. And, by extension, find out how attractive the job is or how many problems exist – real or perceived – that might reveal Texas isn’t the shimmering beacon of dominance it believes it is, or at least can be.

The Athletic spoke to a variety of sources within the college basketball community, including coaches and agents. Some were granted anonymity either for competitive reasons or because they were not authorized to speak publicly.

“I think it’s a good job,” one coaching agent said. “But I don’t know that it’s the end-all, be-all no-brainer.”

It’s never good to have more questions than anyone can handle six days into the calendar year. Texas simply doesn’t have a choice but to find answers, in a hurry.

Saving the season

On Friday morning, the Longhorns woke up as the No. 13 team in the NCAA’s NET rankings, and anywhere from No. 9-17 by the leading analytic sites. They also woke up another day closer to two decades without a Final Four bid. The chance to be the team that ends the drought is real, and the urgency to protect that potential is extreme for acting head coach Rodney Terry and his staff.

The good news? Even Big 12 peers believe all is not lost, just because the previous head coach lost his job. “I think they will be great, honestly,” one conference assistant coach said. “(Terry) has been a successful head coach before and his voice will resonate with those guys. He will get them to buy into his system. Their roster, top to bottom, is still one of the most talented in the league.”

Or as another Big 12 head coach put it: “(Terry) is doing a good job. They play hard and are still on top of everything. They’re playing with passion.”

Now that there’s finality and players know Beard isn’t coming back, the priority is to keep the threads from fraying. Texas will have four former head coaches in the building every day: Terry (Fresno State and UTEP), assistant Bob Donewold (multiple overseas teams), chief of staff Chris Ogden (UT-Arlington) and special assistant Steve McClain (Wyoming and Illinois-Chicago). There can be some comfort in knowing none of the drivers are on their learner’s permit.

But none of them are Beard, either, and how that affects preparation or in-game strategizing is clearly in the balance. Every remaining regular season opponent, as of Friday, is ranked inside the top 37 of KenPom. Any slippage – even a little – could have significant ramifications.

“There’s basketball acumen on that staff,” another coaching agent said. “And they’ve clearly got very good talent. Does that translate to them winning at the same level as Chris Beard? No. Definitely not. Chris Beard as a game manager and Xs and Os guy, an on-court coach – probably one of the top five, six, seven in college basketball. So there’s going to be a clear dropoff no matter what. But Texas is uniquely positioned where they’ve got guys with experience.”

Rodney Terry’s balancing act

Less than a year ago, upheaval at Louisville left Mike Pegues as a power-conference interim coach with a lot of season ahead of him. Pegues doesn’t know Rodney Terry, but he has a suggestion for Texas’ acting head coach: Start a journal. Write it all down, good and bad. These will be three unusual and trying months. Maybe the toughest stretch of Terry’s coaching career. But having a catalog of thoughts and experiences when it’s all over will be valuable. “It’s a lot,” says Pegues, who’s now a Butler assistant.

The situations sit at opposite poles, yes. Texas is a No. 3 seed in The Athletic’s latest Bracket Watch and its interim coach has 319 games of head coach experience to draw upon. Louisville was cratering and the interim leader hadn’t been a head coach since he ran a grassroots team. But the checklist is the same, and it means Terry isn’t merely charged with putting together game plans that win in the Big 12. The job is far more fraught than that.

He’s performing emotional triage on his players — probably twice over now, after Beard’s initial suspension last month and then again after the official dismissal Thursday. He’s reshuffling staff duties. He’s likely delicately putting his own touch on the operation while also not changing so much that it’s counterproductive. And even if auditioning for the full-time gig is not front of mind, Terry is inevitably showcasing his coaching ability under a scorching spotlight, for anyone who might want to hire him if Texas doesn’t.

How nimbly Terry navigates the asteroids coming at him, every day, is a massive variable. “At least in Texas’ case, I would like to think they have something to play for,” Pegues says. “If I’m Rodney Terry, I’m trying to convince the guys, we lost our leader, there’s no ducking that, we’re in a tough time. But we also put ourselves in a really good position to this point. If we can come together and concentrate on getting better every day, we still have the opportunity to do everything we set out to do.”

Never mind the joyous water bottle celebration after Terry led Texas to a win over Rice on Dec. 12, his first game as acting head coach. These are young men in their late teens and early 20s, all with exospheric aspirations. Terry’s roster is naturally on edge, at some level.

Pegues spent his first night as Louisville’s interim head coach contacting the team’s leaders, knowing he had to salve wounds and worries as quickly as possible. During a team meeting the next day, he gave players the floor to air out their emotions. He also understood the work of managing feelings wouldn’t be done when they left that space. “Guys have questions they can’t get immediate answers to,” Pegues says. “There’s a sense of why is this happening to me, and why is this happening to us, and what do I do from here. Human nature is to look at the big picture and not concentrate on practice that day. It’s easy to lose sight of what’s right in front of you.”

So far, Texas has won five of its six games with Terry as acting head coach. Very good sign. But in the two games against KenPom top 40 teams, the Longhorns beat Oklahoma by one and dissolved defensively in a loss to Kansas State. Two games into an 18-game Big 12 schedule, Texas has only just now entered the gauntlet. How a shaken group of players reacts to any upcoming adversity lands, fairly or not, at Rodney Terry’s feet.

All while he surely knows everyone wonders if he’s good enough to do this past April. “If Rodney Terry went to a Final Four, it’s probably hard not to take a look at him,” one agent says. “I don’t think it’s a very smart move. They shouldn’t have anybody there who’s on this staff.”

He’s been around some. But Terry never has faced something like this.

“People have them as a lock to finish on the high end of the Big 12 and put themselves in position to play in the NCAA Tournament,” Pegues said. “Winning is still an expectation around there.”

Defining Texas, the job

We’re also heading toward a referendum on Texas men’s basketball. There’s a $300 million arena that just opened. There’s a $60 million practice facility that just opened. There’s a recruiting base as fertile or more fertile than any in the country; it’s not a stretch to say Texas could field competitive teams without crossing state lines to find players. “It’s as good as it’s ever been,” one coaching agent said. “The job itself is positioned pretty well.”

Also? All the money and resources and available talent haven’t brought Texas anywhere near a national title in a very, very, very long time.

“In the last 12 years, they’ve won five NCAA Tournament games,” another coaching agent said. “Not great, right? I mean, Saint Peter’s won three last year.”

Maybe Beard was en route to straightening it all out, but there’s clearly a gap between what Texas should be doing and what Texas is doing. Running one of the more prominent athletic programs at any school is complicated. Running one of the more prominent programs at Texas adds an exponent to the chore. “Texas is big,” one person with knowledge of the school’s athletics operations said. “There’s a lot of moving parts within the day-to-day operations at the place, and then there’s moving parts outside of the operation. Sometimes those parts work together. Sometimes those parts are drastically different. And then sometimes the parts within each place change. There is a lot going on, a lot of the time. To compartmentalize and simplify is very important.”

The job has everything any coach could want and the job is also much more difficult than anyone might imagine. Both of these things are true. It’s certainly as good an explanation as any for why such a well-armed operation isn’t making much postseason noise.

The impending move to the SEC, and the impending competition with all its characters on the men’s basketball sidelines league-wide, only underscores the idea that a Texas men’s basketball coach will have to be extremely good on the floor and extremely dynamic off of it – and stumbling or coming up short in either way means you’re probably not going to succeed. The pool of people who can handle both elements, deftly, is not shallow … but isn’t diving-tank deep, either.

Still, one agent pointed out that Texas women’s volleyball program just won a national championship. Other sports thrive as well. The place is equipped to produce high-level performance. That much is undeniable. But the agent wondered, rhetorically, why it’s not happening for football and men’s basketball.

“In those sports,” the person familiar with Texas athletics said, “it’s hard to just be the program.”

Choosing the next coach

At some point, athletics director Chris Del Conte and any other stakeholders have to find a permanent solution. At this point, most people only have speculative thoughts about the direction Texas’ athletics director will go. But his past hires provide a few tea leaves to read. He hired Jamie Dixon at TCU after Dixon put together a long and successful Pittsburgh tenure. He grabbed Steve Sarkisian for Texas football, coming out of the Nick Saban rehabilitation program. He plucked Vic Schaefer from Mississippi State after Schaefer led the women’s basketball program there to a pair of Final Fours and an Elite Eight. Go back even to 2018 and the search for a new softball coach; it ended with Mike White, who’d won nearly 80 percent of his games in nine seasons at Oregon. And, of course, Chris Beard.

Splash. Names. Brands. It’s certainly not absurd to respond to a terribly messy situation with a statement hire that wipes the slate clean.

And most people figure Del Conte doesn’t have to think small. Not when Texas was paying the last guy $5 million a year, and surely has enough left in the couch cushions to present a compelling package.

“It’s a big brand,” one coaching agent said. “So I think there’s going to be a lot of interested parties.”

As The Athletic’s Seth Davis noted in his list of candidates for the job, those interested parties may well be very big names. An asterisk on that: Most observers feel the big swings might not connect. That Texas will wind up being a leverage play for a lot of coaches who are looking for more security or more money or more love, or all of the above, from their current employer.

But Del Conte has more than enough time to do his homework behind the scenes and suss out what’s real and what’s bound to be a disappointment. He’ll also have time to examine the hefty buyouts that may get in the way. (UCLA’s Mick Cronin, Missouri’s Dennis Gates and Oklahoma State’s Mike Boynton, to name a few, fall into that bucket.) In the end, he won’t be bereft of options, even if the options aren’t necessarily galaxy-shaking.

A few names that teeter on big swings, where it’s a little less if Del Conte would be allowing Texas to be used? Eric Musselman has a new contract at Arkansas potentially running through 2028. His buyout, though, is a relative pittance at $2 million after this season. Would Sean Miller leave Xavier after one season? Xavier pours a ton into its men’s basketball program and Miller can lead a pretty low-profile life in Cincinnati, which wouldn’t necessarily be the case in Austin. But could be worth a call. Illinois gave Brad Underwood a new contract through 2028 and a freshly renovated practice facility. Underwood might think he has the better job as it is. Flip side? He sprung onto the scene at Stephen F. Austin, and if Illinois doesn’t pull out of its current malaise, maybe he’s open to a change of scenery.

Dana Altman, meanwhile, doesn’t have Oregon humming lately — 15 losses last season, an 8-7 record so far in 2022-23 — but maybe that’s a springboard to hitting refresh at 64 years old, looking for one last run. Altman certainly would be a fit, from talent-acquisition and demeanor perspectives.

Is Jerome Tang too much Baylor for Texas fans to handle? Not that Tang necessarily would leave Kansas State after a year, either, but Texas offers resources that the 56-year-old won’t find in Manhattan. (Like, potentially doubling his salary, to begin with.) Boynton and Gates would merit a look if the buyouts aren’t an issue; there’s some risk, particularly with Gates being all of 14 games into his first power-conference job at Missouri, but the upside is steady, long-term plays. Andy Kennedy finished second in the race for two power conference jobs last cycle, per a source with knowledge of those discussions, and the UAB coach could be an intriguing wild card here. Wake Forest’s Steve Forbes would bring a personality Texas fans can latch on to and a high-effort system those fans can get behind, but the 57-year-old is credibly comfortable in Winston-Salem. Does he want to take on all of what Texas is?

And, well, Rodney Terry can make this a moot discussion by April.

In all, the last time it hired a men’s basketball coach, Texas surely figured it had covered any angle and checked every conceivable box. It found its answer. Less than two years later, it’s facing all the same questions — and a few more — all over again.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Maybe reckless wasn’t the best word choice.

I agree. It would be unusual because we haven’t seen it and committing to spending that much in basketball isn’t something we’ve historically done, but we also haven’t had the support/backing we have now.

Well, I'd go further and say the market hasn't demanded those kinds of buyout payments before, either. 

At the end of the day if the market is saying this is how much it's going to take these days to hire an accomplished head coach from somewhere else, then you either bite the bullet or go hire someone who isn't as accomplished. I'm just shocked the numbers have risen that high. 

1 hour ago, SL Xpress said:

I remember when Deloss didn't even bother negotiating buyouts, with the attitude of, "Who would want to leave? If you're actively looking for a job somewhere else, just go. We'll find someone else who wants it more than you do."

this is literally what deloss told my dad when he asked for a raise after having been working in the same position for many years (doing the job quite well i might add) with two young kids at home, and a sports schedule that meant my dad was always on the road, leaving my mom to work her full time job while trying to care for two pre-school aged kids. deloss is a great example of how successful you can be when you have no heart. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

We’re also saving close to $5M on Beard’s salary this season.

I’ve heard that Oats is unhappy with Bama’s unwillingness to support basketball NIL, but he is also recruiting at an elite level so who knows 

Hurley would be my guess at this point. 

6 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

this is literally what deloss told my dad when he asked for a raise after having been working in the same position for many years (doing the job quite well i might add) with two young kids at home, and a sports schedule that meant my dad was always on the road, leaving my mom to work her full time job while trying to care for two pre-school aged kids. deloss is a great example of how successful you can be when you have no heart. 

Just fyi I didn’t rep bc Deloss was a prick to your pops. Just a good anecdote 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

too late to edit, but i'll add this: 

i still had respect for DD and everything he did for the program. bill little on the other hand? i'll put it to you this way: Deloss was Alliser Thorne; Bill Little was Janos Slynt. just a fat, sniveling, gremlin troll of a sycophant. fuck him. 

• Hook 'Em 2

25 minutes ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

We’re also saving close to $5M on Beard’s salary this season.

I’ve heard that Oats is unhappy with Bama’s unwillingness to support basketball NIL, but he is also recruiting at an elite level so who knows 

Hurley would be my guess at this point. 

This is interesting. I also don’t think Alabama is committed to facilities as others are. They can’t raise enough money for a new arena.

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

Good article from The Athletic

Hide contents

But Del Conte has more than enough time to do his homework behind the scenes and suss out what’s real and what’s bound to be a disappointment. He’ll also have time to examine the hefty buyouts that may get in the way. (UCLA’s Mick Cronin, Missouri’s Dennis Gates and Oklahoma State’s Mike Boynton, to name a few, fall into that bucket.) In the end, he won’t be bereft of options, even if the options aren’t necessarily galaxy-shaking.

I dont know a lot about the author Brain Hamilton, but apparently he likes to smoke a shit ton of weed before banging out his articles.  Mike Boynton???

Oklahoma State: 96–79 (.549) 40–53 (.430)

The same Mike Boynton that has made one NCAA tourney appearance since he's been in Stillwater? And that was on the back of a #1 NBA pick who he bribed to come to OSU by hiring his dad on the coaching staff. What in the fuck would cause CDC to waste 5 seconds evaluating that dude?

Edited by Blotto
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

i still had respect for DD and everything he did for the program. bill little on the other hand? i'll put it to you this way: Deloss was Alliser Thorne; Bill Little was Janos Slynt. just a fat, sniveling, gremlin troll of a sycophant. fuck him. 

Holy shit that's perfect. I'm gonna refer to Little as Slynt for now on. Assuming I ever talk about Bill Little again....

Who would Mack be? Tarley?

Edited by Fletch
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

They're all auto waivers. I don't know why people continue to insist there's going to be some penalty for a player who transfers multiple times. The NCAA has made it extremely clear they will grant waivers in every single instance. 

Not if you are a US Moguls Skier and a Colorado punt returner.    Everyone has their hard line and that's theirs. 

11 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

You say this as if Oats would make the same here as he does at Bama. He might not leave at all, but he’s definitely not leaving without a big raise. 

I didn't say that at all.  I'm saying there's room for a raise AND he might still make less than Beard.

Ultimately, I don't care.  Like I've said before, it's not my money, and football prints excess money anyway.  Not sure where basketball nets out in that regard.

3 hours ago, Alphie Solomons. said:

Not if you are a US Moguls Skier and a Colorado punt returner.    Everyone has their hard line and that's theirs. 

Huh? What does Jeremy Bloom have to do with anything? We're in post NCAA vs Alston.

I don't know if you've heard, but conferences are negotiating their own television contracts, and the NCAA isn't able to prevent schools from being shown on television more than 3 times any more as a result. That's about as germane as Jeremy Bloom to our current college landscape.

15 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

Fucking A. Bill Little sucks ass. Talk to the wild/mild bunch about him see how he’s received 

1 minute ago, Alphie Solomons. said:

uhm.   that's literally the last time any high profile 'waiver' wasn't granted.    the entire point. 

Well, regardless of high profile or not, I know of tons of instances where waivers were not granted. This year alone there were many across all sports.

But one specific place where I've never heard of a waiver not being granted is when a student athlete transfers to multiple schools over the course of their college career. It would be more accurate to cite the last athlete the NCAA forced to sit out a season. 

For example, in women's volleyball the NCAA forced Shanel Bramscheiber to sit for 14 matches after transferring from Baylor to Wisconsin, but that was because it was determined she talked to an agent, not because of anything having to do with her transfer. 

I'm agreeing with you and being snarky at their ridiculousness with Jeremy Bloom.     

Either way,  I agree with you.  Anyone who want to transfer out of here will do so without issue from that body.

They don't give a shit, on purpose and for a long time....the only time I remember them digging in their heels was during that deal with Bloom...keeping the 'amature purity'  alive and well from the US Olympic Moguls skiers who might have had a few free Gatorades. 

8 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Musselman is the only guy that makes sense to me, but I don't have a rolodex for college basketball coaches.

The pool is pretty small because CDC will only hire a guy who has a good track record (I.e multiple tournament wins in multiple years) at the major conference level.  Subtract out guys who have family/geographic ties to their place, or are lifers at their place, or have giant buyouts and the list shrinks considerably.  Just guessing here but that list probably has about 15 to 20 names.  That will probably realistically whittle down to about 5 who have legitimate interest.  Now he could go mid major but that has not been his MO. 

2 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

The pool is pretty small because CDC will only hire a guy who has a good track record (I.e multiple tournament wins in multiple years) at the major conference level.  Subtract out guys who have family/geographic ties to their place, or are lifers at their place, or have giant buyouts and the list shrinks considerably.  Just guessing here but that list probably has about 15 to 20 names.  That will probably realistically whittle down to about 5 who have legitimate interest.  Now he could go mid major but that has not been his MO. 

So Musselman or we’re screwed, right?

20 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

IMO, Deloss was very overrated. And his arrogance led to some bad shit that was easily avoidable.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

IMO, Deloss was very overrated. And his arrogance led to some bad shit that was easily avoidable.

It depends on what you value. I never considered myself a fan. But it is true he took UT out of the dark ages of funding the athletic department with the creation of the Longhorn Foundation. Whatever else I despise about his tenure - and there’s plenty - I give him credit for that. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

No we go to the next guy in the list. 

There’s no way Texas outbids Arkansas for their basketball coach. They value the sport way more than Texas, and they have several big money donors funding it. I bet he can get a big pay raise out of it, though. 

15 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

There’s no way Texas outbids Arkansas for their basketball coach. They value the sport way more than Texas, and they have several big money donors funding it. I bet he can get a big pay raise out of it, though. 

I want to disagree with you, but I remember begging friends to go to Durant home games. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I think the only way we get Muss is if he wants a change of scenery. So let's hope so. 

Oats is my #1 (so far)

Just something to consider--Vic wasn't on our radar for the women's job and CDC got him. At best, he was a wish for most fans, not a realistic wish though. CDC has brought some big names to UT in the minor sports, some that had it already going and very well setup at their previous spots. That's what gets me hard when thinking about this situation. 

• Hook 'Em 5

12 minutes ago, Pancho said:

I think the only way we get Muss is if he wants a change of scenery. So let's hope so. 

Oats is my #1 (so far)

Just something to consider--Vic wasn't on our radar for the women's job and CDC got him. At best, he was a wish for most fans, not a realistic wish though. CDC has brought some big names to UT in the minor sports, some that had it already going and very well setup at their previous spots. That's what gets me hard when thinking about this situation. 

This. Trust CDC on hires until he gives us a reason not to. (Sark wasn’t his call)

• Hook 'Em 3