UT's next basketball coach - discussion/debate

alphahorn

23 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

the only problem with Oats is getting fucking Mack Brown to vacate his office and take all his shit with him in time for Oats to move into his office the day he is hired

and we cannot have Del blowing off a return call from his agent either

Wow. Straight for the jugular. Trigger warning next time, please. 

• Haha 2

On 1/12/2023 at 3:21 PM, TreatyOak said:

I think Coach Beard has just proved why the absence of a stable personal life can be highly detrimental to success.

It would be interesting to do a comparison of coaching success with the metric being stable personal lives (think Coach K's wife who was a very visible, contributing partner) vs unstable personal lives (think Coach Beard and Rick Petino)

Right….pussy is undefeated.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

it was mixing in the Nick Saban to Texas fiasco where Mack refused to step down and had to be fired and where the idiot peterson dropped the ball when Nick's agent reached out to see what Texas was thinking and just blew him off

Sounds like a real buttfumble to me.

• Hook 'Em 1

Calipari's unstable ass is the only chance this program has of not shitting the bed now. Oats? Maybe, but can he handle the Texas bullshit that he definitely doesn't have to deal with at Bama? 

A big name like Calipari with proven NBA success and remotivated by a burning desire to say "fuck you" to Kentucky fans is about the best chance we have to do what Beard was on the cusp of doing. But hiring someone as sleezy and corrupt as Calipari isn't any better than keeping Beard. 

Just such a stupid fucking move to fire Beard for 1 domestic violence incident when we're in a cut throat industry full of sharks looking to take any advantage, no matter how crooked, to get past us. These aren't student athletes anymore, they're fucking mercenaries getting paid to do just enough school to remain eligible while playing basketball/football. That fucker Stetson Bennett has been in college 7 years and doesn't even have a degree. This is a new era, a new world of kill or be killed ruthlessness and we don't care enough about winning in this sport to have the stomach for the fight. It's fucking embarrassing.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 2

2 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Calipari's unstable ass is the only chance this program has of not shitting the bed now. Oats? Maybe, but can he handle the Texas bullshit that he definitely doesn't have to deal with at Bama? 

A big name like Calipari with proven NBA success and remotivated by a burning desire to say "fuck you" to Kentucky fans is about the best chance we have to do what Beard was on the cusp of doing. But hiring someone as sleezy and corrupt as Calipari isn't any better than keeping Beard. 

Just such a stupid fucking move to fire Beard for 1 domestic violence incident when we're in a cut throat industry full of sharks looking to take any advantage, no matter how crooked, to get past us. These aren't student athletes anymore, they're fucking mercenaries getting paid to do just enough school to remain eligible while playing basketball/football. That fucker Stetson Bennett has been in college 7 years and doesn't even have a degree. This is a new era, a new world of kill or be killed ruthlessness and we don't care enough about winning in this sport to have the stomach for the fight. It's fucking embarrassing.

Liked your first paragraph.   The rest is trash.  Stetson Bennett ain’t no mercenary lol

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Liked your first paragraph.   The rest is trash.  Stetson Bennett ain’t no mercenary lol

The point is he isn't giving a shit about school. His only reason for being at Georgia is to play football. That's the same for the majority of players and now with NIL and their ability to get paid to play it's going to get worse. You have to be willing to be dirty/cut throat and treat the players like professionals and demand as much if you want to win in today's landscape. 

The same goes for coaching. Bringing in some no name isn't going to cut it with talent anymore. We had a built in advantage with a guy who's got a massive name in this sport and especially in this state who was building this up and we sent it away because he couldn't keep his shit with a woman together off the court. Had nothing to do with the university at all. This program will always be mediocre if they only want to put mediocre effort into winning. Why even waste money on a new arena in a sport they obviously don't care to compete for titles in?

• Hook 'Em 1

Shut the fuck up. Beard absolutely deserved what he got. Texas is not the bad guy here, Beard is.

I think Cal would be a mistake hire. He’ll amass talent that won’t win anything unless he’s committed to changing his offense. 63 year olds don’t change their ways much. 

• Hook 'Em 4

18 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Pretty gross take there

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Pretty gross take there

It’s really hypocritical that we mock programs like OU and aggy for their players who do bad shit, but have people here who want us to keep Beard.  So one off DV is excusable if it’s our guy….but no one else, they should be cut immediately 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

This take doesn't make any sense. Beard would have gotten fired by every team in the NBA for what happened. 

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Shut the fuck up. Beard absolutely deserved what he got. Texas is not the bad guy here, Beard is.

I think Cal would be a mistake hire. He’ll amass talent that won’t win anything unless he’s committed to changing his offense. 63 year olds don’t change their ways much. 

That’s the other part.  No wife beaters allowed.  Ctj always talks about where we draw the line.  No wife beaters.  Not saying Chris beat her but if he did…..

I think cal would do well here just to stick it to kentucky

8 minutes ago, HookEm said:

It is really going to suck when Aggy hires Beard and they win a title, while beating us continually in the SEC.

But I would take it over celebrating the retention of a domestic abuser.  

They aren’t hiring him because buzz isn’t getting fired.

27 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

That’s the other part.  No wife beaters allowed.  Ctj always talks about where we draw the line.  No wife beaters.  Not saying Chris beat her but if he did…..

I think cal would do well here just to stick it to kentucky

I'd be all for it if everyone played by the same rules. 

That's not how it is. We know damn well if the same thing happens to Saban or Smart they aren't going anywhere. If Texas found it's own Saban or Smart they wouldn't get rid of him either. 

They just don't give a shit about winning in basketball and it's inexcusable because the balance of talent has shifted and now we are the flagship university in the most talent rich state in the nation. To have fucktard little bitch universities from this state like Baylor and Tech winning a title and getting to a title game while we haven't sniffed a final 4 since our players were either not born or in diapers is fucking unacceptable. It's an embarrassment. 

Shit or get off the pot. Right now the University of Texas is just sitting there grunting like a bitch. 

• Fuck You 1

36 minutes ago, HookEm said:

It is really going to suck when Aggy hires Beard and they win a title, while beating us continually in the SEC.

Maybe I missed it but was he found guilty of this? They fired him for bringing a negative light to the university and getting arrested not for being convicted of a crime? Or that’s what I thought I read, that the outcome of the arrest and even if the charges got dropped had nothing to do with retaining Beard. 

6 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

I'd be all for it if everyone played by the same rules. 

That's not how it is. We know damn well if the same thing happens to Saban or Smart they aren't going anywhere. If Texas found it's own Saban or Smart they wouldn't get rid of him either. 

They just don't give a shit about winning in basketball and it's inexcusable because the balance of talent has shifted and now we are the flagship university in the most talent rich state in the nation. To have fucktard little bitch universities from this state like Baylor and Tech winning a title and getting to a title game while we haven't sniffed a final 4 since our players were either not born or in diapers is fucking unacceptable. It's an embarrassment. 

Shit or get off the pot. Right now the University of Texas is just sitting there grunting like a bitch. 

You mean like if we found our Beard? Fucking dumb take is dumb. Stop digging deeper

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Maybe I missed it but was he found guilty of this? They fired him for bringing a negative light to the university and getting arrested not for being convicted of a crime? Or that’s what I thought I read, that the outcome of the arrest and even if the charges got dropped had nothing to do with retaining Beard. 

Nope, you are correct.

10 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

I do agree with this part of your statement. If Beard had been here for 10 years already with a couple of Final Fours and other tournament success under his belt, the timeline and decision-making process probably extends.

However, I don't think you can compare basketball to football. Football makes substantially more money, so there might be a tad bit more leniency for someone like Saban or Smart. I bet Bama would fire Oats for the same thing. However, what if this was Coach K, Izzo, Cal, or someone else? I'm not sure what happens at other schools, but Texas seems to draw the line at domestic abuse. And you know what; I'm personally okay what that. Plenty of successful coaches don't seem to have these types of problems. In the end, no matter the hypothetical scenario, Beard is probably fired.

Edited by MuellerHorn

2 hours ago, Hermanator said:

You mean playing second fiddle to a top 5 all-time blueblood football program?  That bullshit?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

were we to hire coach cal it would be be wise he was the best candidate available, and i'd rather live with 3-5 years of whatever he produces while we search for a long term answer, than to hire a porter moser, dennis gates, or jerome tang. if those are your choices, you hire calipari, while also immediately starting your search for his successor.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

You mean like if we found our Beard? Fucking dumb take is dumb. Stop digging deeper

1 hour ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

A great example of making the right hire after a good coach is fired is Louisville. Good lord what a free fall to the cellar.

They're just asking to torpedo the program and it was all so unnecessary. The playbook was there for a winning coach with a single incident/arrest that had nothing to do with the program or university. You suspend him the rest of the season for conduct, vow to work with him to make sure nothing like it happens again, and start the image rehabilitation. Since this level of sport is so ruthless it would blow over and he'd be back to doing his thing by the end of the year. 

The university has then stuck by a guy who had no history of issues and made a one time mistake, and if he does it again then you fire him with no hesitation. Once is a mistake, twice is a trend. At least Louisville had no choice since their coach was buying players/recruits hookers.  Which, by the way, that coach who had a far more egregious sin against the university and sport is coaching in college again now and no one is saying shit about it. 

This AD has shown it can't get out of its own way with a football program they actually care to have win, so there's almost zero chance they don't fuck this up and go back to the Shaka years or worse since they don't even care about it. Supporting this program and going to games is way too expensive if they aren't going to fucking care if they win a title or not. The atmosphere in Moody this year showed people on campus want to get behind this program but they're just throwing it all away. 

Edited by Hermanator
  • Fuck You 3

14 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

They're just asking to torpedo the program and it was all so unnecessary. The playbook was there for a winning coach with a single incident/arrest that had nothing to do with the program or university. You suspend him the rest of the season for conduct, vow to work with him to make sure nothing like it happens again, and start the image rehabilitation. Since this level of sport is so ruthless it would blow over and he'd be back to doing his thing by the end of the year. 

The university has then stuck by a guy who had no history of issues and made a one time mistake, and if he does it again then you fire him with no hesitation. Once is a mistake, twice is a trend. At least Louisville had no choice since their coach was buying players/recruits hookers.  Which, by the way, that coach who had a far more egregious sin against the university and sport is coaching in college again now and no one is saying shit about it. 

This AD has shown it can't get out of its own way with a football program they actually care to have win, so there's almost zero chance they don't fuck this up and go back to the Shaka years or worse since they don't even care about it. Supporting this program and going to games is way too expensive if they aren't going to fucking care if they win a title or not. The atmosphere in Moody this year showed people on campus want to get behind this program but they're just throwing it all away. 

You’re still going huh? Gross.

We get it, you don’t care about domestic violence. I’m glad our university does.

It’s also funny that you view Pitino as worse than Beard. That’s a weird worldview where paying playing or buying hookers is worse than domestic violence 

Edited by hobbes2702
  • Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I’m not talking about Rick pitino I was talking about Chris Mack. He isn’t coaching anywhere and they’re terrible right now with 2 wins on the season. 

Pitino is our Chris Beard but at least they actually had no choice but to fire him as his sin was directly against the university and program. And yet he's coaching college basketball again and no one cares. 

We didn't have to fire the best coach in the country, we chose to do it because we don't give a shit about competing for titles. We'll be right back where we need to be to take our place in the bottom half of the SEC soon with our own Chris Mack

• Fuck You 2

5 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

You’re still going huh? Gross.

We get it, you don’t care about domestic violence. I’m glad our university does.

It’s also funny that you view Pitino as worse than Beard. That’s a weird worldview where paying playing or buying hookers is worse than domestic violence 

To the University it's absolutely worse than a 1 time single domestic violence incident. A University cannot keep a coach who buys recruits and players hookers. Legally they can't justify that at all. 

You can easily give your coach who had a single time domestic violence incident a second chance after being suspended for the season because he didn't compromise the university at all. He had a bad decision and a horrible action against another adult he's in a relationship with. Not against the university or it's students. It's when that behavior becomes a pattern that you have to move on. Anyone can make a single mistake but a pattern shows clear disregard for the law. 

• Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

To the University it's absolutely worse than a 1 time single domestic violence incident. A University cannot keep a coach who buys recruits and players hookers. Legally they can't justify that at all. 

You can easily give your coach who had a single time domestic violence incident a second chance after being suspended for the season because he didn't compromise the university at all. He had a bad decision and a horrible action against another adult he's in a relationship with. Not against the university or it's students. It's when that behavior becomes a pattern that you have to move on. Anyone can make a single mistake but a pattern shows clear disregard for the law. 

I don’t care about legally. I think it’s interesting you seem to think morally that Pitino is worse than Beard. I don’t know them personally but looking at the reasons each was fired, they aren’t morally equivalent.

I don’t want us to give a second chance to someone who got in a physical fight with his spouse, and had to stand in handcuffs and stripes in front of a judge for doing so. Fuck that. 

Buying recruits hookers ain’t great, but it’s not anywhere near the problem that domestics violence is. 

I dunno about you but I’m not making any mistakes when it comes to domestic violence. And no one involved in a relationship like that has a single mistake. Come on, use your brain

Edited by hobbes2702

I think of beard gets convicted of domestic violence it will be years till he coaches again. If charges get dropped he will be back quick. Maybe not next year but the year after. 

anyways I don’t give a fuck about beard anymore he’s gone. 

I’ve been sold on Oates by js1, and Lloyd is my next guy. 

Oates is fucking lsu up the ass right now.

• Hook 'Em 3

From what we know and surmising the rest, I’m not sure Texas had a play to keep Beard around given he’s in a toxic relationship and the likelihood of future distractions and embarrassment.

I dont see a scenario where he’s rolling with RT at any big name program. And if and when they break up, it will not be clean. Let him break up as an ex-coach of Texas.

A&M will absolutely hire his ass with or without the carnival, obviously.

Yes, Oats is my clear #1. He also fits a CDC profile for a hire. 

I also think he’s very attainable compare to Muss. Doesn’t make much, Alabama doesn’t seem like they would put up a fight to keep him because it’s basketball, Alabama is having trouble raising money for a new arena (because it’s just basketball), and it’s starting to get around that their NIL game for basketball is terribad.

I think Arkansas would put up a fight to keep Muss. 

Lloyd seems a little more attainable than Muss. 

after that, it’s a crapshoot. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Oats is my #1. Pretty sure I was an Oats Boi when Shaka left and before it appeared CDC was going to poach Beard. 

Back off, bitch!  I saw him first. 

Bama could raise money for new arena if they were told it was for Gymnastics, they love them some women's gymnastics.