UT's next basketball coach - discussion/debate

alphahorn

We were a 6 seed last year (21-11 overall, 10-8 conference slate).  That would be 6-9 going forward, 6-7 in remaining conference games, implying a loss to Tennessee and 0-1 in the conference tournament. 

Not saying that gets us a 6, one year is not the same as another, and I would think we would be penalized for a less than stellar finish, but that's what has to happen to equal last year at seed time.  We surely have a handful of additional losses ahead of us.

8 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Most of the key players in this team are seniors. This is a win or bust season and wanting to keep the team intact is not a reason to keep Terry. The team isn't going to be intact. 

Beard was building a culture where we could essentially reload every year. With him not around to do the reloading the next couple years might be rough, especially if we screw up this hire. Can Terry do that, even if he cuts down the nets in April? 

We can’t keep Terry bc the players want him when we are losing everyone but Brock and whoever decides to stay out of Morris, Hunter, Mitchell, Brumbaugh and Anamweke. We need a coach who can a) convince Holland and Johnson to keep their commitment and b) go portal hunting to reload the roster. I do not have faith that high level, big talent transfers are going to be all in to play for Terry. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Most of the key players in this team are seniors. This is a win or bust season and wanting to keep the team intact is not a reason to keep Terry. The team isn't going to be intact. 

Beard was building a culture where we could essentially reload every year. With him not around to do the reloading the next couple years might be rough, especially if we screw up this hire. Can Terry do that, even if he cuts down the nets in April? 

I'm just spit-balling here, but I think Terry might be able to leverage winning a National Title into some decent recruits and transfers. Of course, he isn't going to win a title, so it is moot.

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

We can’t keep Terry bc the players want him when we are losing everyone but Brock and whoever decides to stay out of Morris, Hunter, Mitchell, Brumbaugh and Anamweke. We need a coach who can a) convince Holland and Johnson to keep their commitment and b) go portal hunting to reload the roster. I do not have faith that high level, big talent transfers are going to be all in to play for Terry. 

I also think we need a coach to convince Morris and Hunter not to transfer. We need both of those guys next year big time. 
And like you said, Terry ain’t it

5 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

this team's 4 conference wins are by a combined 17 points.  take out the ok state game and 3 of the wins are by a combined 7 points.  if you don't think losses are coming, you aren't watching the same team I am.  if they finish 10-8 in conference play and lose the tennessee game, that is a 21-10 regular season.  that is a 5-6 seed resume.  that is completely feasible and would not consist of shitting the bed royally at all.

Thats actually slightly better than I expect right now. 
Tenn is a loss. 
I could see anywhere between 8-10 and 12-6 for this team but I’m betting 9-9. 
we’ve played mostly the worst teams in the conference so far. This conference is really really tough. 
I’m going to assume the following as losses:

Away: KSU, Baylor, WVU, ISU,

Home: Kansas. 
that would be 12-6 and that’s more or less my best case scenario. 

my bet is we split these games at best: at Tech, at TCU, ISU, Baylor 

that would be 10-8 with a split- I’m betting on 9-9 after losing 3-4. 

thats assuming we win all these games: OU, OSU, WVU at home. 

its fucking daunting. This team with the current staff just isn’t likely to do better than 10-8 as the top expectation. If they win tonight and play well and win handily doing it I’m willing to consider recalibrating my expectations, but I’m not betting on that happening 

42 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

What’s the deal with Calipari?  Does he have a buyout?  If we hired him would y’all help him pack and move or ask us for money for hiring him away?  

UK won Saturday, all is right in the world now...

Until the next game/loss. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

So what hire has CDC blown that makes everyone think he can’t bag another great coach? He’s nailed them all and don’t say football because he didn’t even want sark and got overruled by the BMD. 

None of them at Texas, yet 

8 hours ago, Post Oak said:

You seem pretty set on minimizing the DV angle which seems strange to me.  I'm trying to think of other people who might try to minimize domestic violence incidents. 

He just be a fucking moron. He could be a troll. He could be a serial abusing moronic troll who regularly bites his wife. Let's not limit ourselves. The only question we need to ask is this: why is anyone still responding to him?

5 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

So what hire has CDC blown that makes everyone think he can’t bag another great coach? He’s nailed them all and don’t say football because he didn’t even want sark and got overruled by the BMD. 

Under that logic I would argue probabilities that he is due for a miss. 

13 hours ago, TreatyOak said:

Oh. I was really impressed w your post until I saw you basically lifted it verbatim from a CDC Tweet.

CDC.png 

Wait... what? I'd never seen that before.

Great minds think alike, I guess.

Especially "measledick." I thought I was being really truly original with that.

edit: ok, you got me there. thought for a second that i might've subconsciously lifted the quote from a cdc parody account or something... well done

Edited by Rimbo
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Rimbo said:

Wait... what? I'd never seen that before.

Great minds think alike, I guess.

Especially "measledick." I thought I was being really truly original with that.

7 hours ago, TreatyOak said:

Oh. I was really impressed w your post until I saw you basically lifted it verbatim from a CDC Tweet.

CDC.png 

@TreatyOak is messing with you. It's not a real tweet, just excellent editing.

Your genius is yours.  F Chris Beard.  I was finally happy as a Texas fan to unleash the kraken and have an alum make us into the next duke/Kansas/Kentucky and the measledick doesn't understand the crazy hot matrix and that you don't lay hands on a woman unless your life is threatened.  Fuck, even than most men wouldn't.  

So fuck Chris Beard and fuck anyone that can't see that the university did it's best to give him all benefit of the doubt and only fired it when it had no recourse.  We are Texas.  There is nothing wrong with paying players but it was against the rules before.  It's not anymore and even when it was, it's morally grey, as are a host of other issues.  I don't care if we paid players before it was legal or potentially made it easier for athletes to graduate.  I do care that we never condone rape, murder, child abuse, and domestic violence.  We're not fucking Baylor, Penn State or Aggy

In terms of the actual next coach, chances are that it'll disappoint.  It's gonna be hard to find a guy for whom this set up better than Beard.  It better not be Terry.  His body of work is his body of work.  People don't reinvent themselves this late in their career at a higher level than they failed at before.  I appreciate what he's done and hope he stays on.  I like Lloyd and Oats.  Not sure musselman's out of the question and if cdc wants him I'm sure he'll take his shot.  

Edited by Acropora
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Whoever is coaching here next year will have a helluva rebuild job on his hands… not so much of a start from scratch if hunter and Morris decide to stay and we keep the two recruits, but I’m not sure those guys will all stick.  We will need at least 4 Allen, bishop, Carr transfers and someone who can get them all running on the same page quickly to survive the big12 gauntlet.

I suspect terry could bring some decent guys in, but haven’t seen him show the ability to get them all focused and tuned in yet.  Beard was a “tough love” type, like the lady longhorns coach, and the players reacted positively to his tone.  Terry seems more a Shaka, player coddling type.  Allen and Carr seem to be trying to provide some of the fire lost with beard, but it’s not the same level.  

• Like 1

On 1/15/2023 at 6:09 PM, HookEm said:

I think he is doing a little better than OK.  The whole Beard situation had the potential of completely splintering the team going into a brutal Big-12 slate.  I think he has done a great job under those circumstances. 

I mean, he is 8-1 with wins over Massey #16, at #32, #41, at #59.  Only loss was to the #11 team (although it was pretty painful). Yes it seems like we should be winning bigger than we are, but a lot of those would be close losses in previous years. 

Again, I think we can do better, but give the man his due. 

Meh. We could be 1-4 or 2-3 in conference. Tech is bad. TCU played poorly down the stretch. OU was tight mostly because we didn't play well. He's doing fine. He's kept the plane from hitting the mountain which I'll give him credit for. There are a couple guys that need to play better so it isn't all on Terry. But he isn't exactly getting these guys to hit their ceiling - and there are a couple guys bailing him out a bit at the end of games. 

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Meh. We could be 1-4 or 2-3 in conference. Tech is bad. TCU played poorly down the stretch. OU was tight mostly because we didn't play well. He's doing fine. He's kept the plane from hitting the mountain which I'll give him credit for. There are a couple guys that need to play better so it isn't all on Terry. But he isn't exactly getting these guys to hit their ceiling - and there are a couple guys bailing him out a bit at the end of games. 

He’s quite lucky he (helped craft and) inherited a roster of a lot of graduate players like Allen, Carr, Bishop and Rice. Experience helps a lot. They’ll all be gone next year 

4 hours ago, Acropora said:

@TreatyOak is messing with you. It's not a real tweet, just excellent editing.

Your genius is yours.  F Chris Beard.  I was finally happy as a Texas fan to unleash the kraken and have an alum make us into the next duke/Kansas/Kentucky and the measledick doesn't understand the crazy hot matrix and that you don't lay hands on a woman unless your life is threatened.  Fuck, even than most men wouldn't.  

So fuck Chris Beard and fuck anyone that can't see that the university did it's best to give him all benefit of the doubt and only fired it when it had no recourse.  We are Texas.  There is nothing wrong with paying players but it was against the rules before.  It's not anymore and even when it was, it's morally grey, as are a host of other issues.  I don't care if we paid players before it was legal or potentially made it easier for athletes to graduate.  I do care that we never condone rape, murder, child abuse, and domestic violence.  We're not fucking Baylor, Penn State or Aggy

In terms of the actual next coach, chances are that it'll disappoint.  It's gonna be hard to find a guy for whom this set up better than Beard.  It better not be Terry.  His body of work is his body of work.  People don't reinvent themselves this late in their career at a higher level than they failed at before.  I appreciate what he's done and hope he stays on.  I like Lloyd and Oats.  Not sure musselman's out of the question and if cdc wants him I'm sure he'll take his shot.  

I don’t think “failed’ is the right word for Terry. He didn’t really fail at Fresno or UTEP. In fact, he actually improved Fresno pretty decently and was sort of doing the same at UTEP. The problem though is going from poor to mediocre isn’t the best metric for the Texas job (or any P5 job for that matter). Also, people want to give Terry his props for what he’s done so far, and I’m willing to do that; however, those same people are really missing context here. Yes he’s 8-1 since the Beard thing, but what has the team looked like during that span, especially against B12 competition? How will people feel if we lose 5 of the next 7 games (which is highly probable and possible)? 

Ass Derka mentioned, the numbers tell us the team has regressed since Terry took over. We’ve been lucky to climb back in it against TCU and Tech. I’d argue, tech is 0-fer in conference play and that game should have never been close. 

The 995ers believe if Terry can get us to a S16, he will definitely get some job offers out there (my guess is G5). For the long term health of the program, Terry taken over permanently because of a knee-jerk reaction to a positive season considering the circumstances, well that would be a massive, massive fuck up that would take years to recover. 

But…I (and others) could be 100% wrong and CDC hires Terry and he goes on a Coach K type of run for 10-15 years. I doubt it, but my research brain says you can’t rule anything out. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pancho said:

I don’t think “failed’ is the right word for Terry. He didn’t really fail at Fresno or UTEP. In fact, he actually improved Fresno pretty decently and was sort of doing the same at UTEP. The problem though is going from poor to mediocre isn’t the best metric for the Texas job (or any P5 job for that matter). Also, people want to give Terry his props for what he’s done so far, and I’m willing to do that; however, those same people are really missing context here. Yes he’s 8-1 since the Beard thing, but what has the team looked like during that span, especially against B12 competition? How will people feel if we lose 5 of the next 7 games (which is highly probable and possible)? 

Ass Derka mentioned, the numbers tell us the team has regressed since Terry took over. We’ve been lucky to climb back in it against TCU and Tech. I’d argue, tech is 0-fer in conference play and that game should have never been close. 

The 995ers believe if Terry can get us to a S16, he will definitely get some job offers out there (my guess is G5). For the long term health of the program, Terry taken over permanently because of a knee-jerk reaction to a positive season considering the circumstances, well that would be a massive, massive fuck up that would take years to recover. 

But…I (and others) could be 100% wrong and CDC hires Terry and he goes on a Coach K type of run for 10-15 years. I doubt it, but my research brain says you can’t rule anything out. 

Agree that the feel-good replacement coach situation should be avoided at almost all costs. There is usually a bump if the previous coach was toxic, but it usually wears off the following season. Even worse is when an assistant coach replaces the former head coach (who left for a new job) for the bowl game, which the team wins, and he gets the job next season. That never works out. 

What makes this situation so depressing is that Beard was absolutely perfect for the job. He was young, modern and passionate enough to build something that could have lasted for quite some time. If some mercenary retread like Calipari comes here, it won’t feel like we building something special, it will just feel like his next stop on his slow descent to retirement. I can’t see top recruits wanting to be a part of it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

Meh. We could be 1-4 or 2-3 in conference. 

In previous years, I have no doubt we would be 1-4 or 2-3.  I'm mainly encouraged that we are still finding ways to win even though we aren't playing that great.  

It will be interesting to see what happens the rest of the season.  Every day this is more Terry's team.  As the schedule keeps getting harder we will see what they are all made of.  They won't be able to let teams like Kansas get out to big leads.

i don't give a shit if we win the league, hiring terry would be a disaster. thankfully, short of a final four run/title win, there is a 0% chance that CDC will hire him. none. because CDC is actually very good at his job, and wants to keep that reputation going. 

also, who cares if this is "becoming terry's team more and more"? this team will all be gone next year, and what you'll be left with is arguably the worst coach in the big xii with a massive rebuild job on his hands. again, the only way that CDC hires Terry is if he's essentially forced to do so after a run to the final four or beyond. period. barring that he's not a candidate.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

They both suck in different ways. 

10 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, it's entirely possible to not want Rodney Terry because he's not very good, and not want John Calipari because he's a dickhead with zero moral compass.

It’s understandable to not want either, but one of the guys is one of the winningest coaches ever in CBB, while the other has no business even sniffing an interview based on his career accomplishments.  They’re not even close to the same tier of candidates. 

If Terry weren’t the interim HC this year and he was on the short list to be the next HC, every single person in this thread would be losing their shit over him even being considered for the job. He’d be like hiring Skip Holtz for football. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, it's entirely possible to not want Rodney Terry because he's not very good, and not want John Calipari because he's a dickhead with zero moral compass.

that would describe me and my feelings on the matter. it would not, however, describe the discourse over the last umpteen pages. i don't want either of those guys as our next HC, but it's a fact that this thread has been way more positive towards the idea of Terry being our HC than Cal, which is just insane.

• Hook 'Em 4

Bohls today:

"On a mission. If Rodney Terry guides this Texas men’s basketball team to, say, the Elite Eight or Final Four, how would the Longhorns brass not seriously consider him as the permanent replacement for the ousted Chris Beard? Here’s the pros of doing that. Entering Tuesday night’s Iowa State game, he’s 8-1 since taking over the reins (one win over a ranked team) and is proving himself every game. While the team hasn’t always looked great (three bad first halves in a row at home), he and the team should be judged by the final results even if Beard put it together, and they’re in second place in the Big 12. The players clearly believe in him, trust him and like him. That’s no small point. Terry’s anything but uptight in his new role, totally at ease and open with the media, actually returns a text unlike his predecessor and so far has passed nearly every test. Athletic director Chris Del Conte always preaches stability and continuity, so Terry has that in his favor as well. Don’t underestimate the value of Terry’s experienced staff because Bob Donewald Jr. (11 international teams), Steve McClain (14 years at Wyoming, Illinois-Chicago) and Chris Ogden (three years at UTA) have all been head coaches. … What I’m hearing to date on any coaching search is retired Villanova coach Jay Wright seems perfectly content to stay retired, Kentucky’s John Calipari won’t be seriously considered, Gonzaga’s Mark Few is unlikely to leave the Pacific Northwest and Alabama’s Nate Oats would probably rebuff Texas' overtures because he’s excelling in Tuscaloosa, has less pressure there than he would in Austin, is making good money and is thriving in a community that worships football. Wonder if Texas would make a run at Virginia’s corporate-looking Tony Bennett (a national title, but ultra-slow pace on offense and making $3.6 million) or look at UTEP’s Joe Golding (who beat Texas while at Abilene Christian, but also is a close friend of Beard’s). … So eager is Texas to distance itself from the Beard mess that the school chose to reprint not only about 200 of the yearly team media guides but also the laminated media credentials because both had Beard’s picture on them. Out of sight …"

Edited by TommysTinyTowels

8 minutes ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

Bohls today:

"On a mission. If Rodney Terry guides this Texas men’s basketball team to, say, the Elite Eight or Final Four, how would the Longhorns brass not seriously consider him as the permanent replacement for the ousted Chris Beard? Here’s the pros of doing that. Entering Tuesday night’s Iowa State game, he’s 8-1 since taking over the reins (one win over a ranked team) and is proving himself every game. While the team hasn’t always looked great (three bad first halves in a row at home), he and the team should be judged by the final results even if Beard put it together, and they’re in second place in the Big 12. The players clearly believe in him, trust him and like him. That’s no small point. Terry’s anything but uptight in his new role, totally at ease and open with the media, actually returns a text unlike his predecessor and so far has passed nearly every test. Athletic director Chris Del Conte always preaches stability and continuity, so Terry has that in his favor as well. Don’t underestimate the value of Terry’s experienced staff because Bob Donewald Jr. (11 international teams), Steve McClain (14 years at Wyoming, Illinois-Chicago) and Chris Ogden (three years at UTA) have all been head coaches. … What I’m hearing to date on any coaching search is retired Villanova coach Jay Wright seems perfectly content to stay retired, Kentucky’s John Calipari won’t be seriously considered, Gonzaga’s Mark Few is unlikely to leave the Pacific Northwest and Alabama’s Nate Oats would probably rebuff Texas' overtures because he’s excelling in Tuscaloosa, has less pressure there than he would in Austin, is making good money and is thriving in a community that worships football. Wonder if Texas would make a run at Virginia’s corporate-looking Tony Bennett (a national title, but ultra-slow pace on offense and making $3.6 million) or look at UTEP’s Joe Golding (who beat Texas while at Abilene Christian, but also is a close friend of Beard’s). … So eager is Texas to distance itself from the Beard mess that the school chose to reprint not only about 200 of the yearly team media guides but also the laminated media credentials because both had Beard’s picture on them. Out of sight …"

If Bohls wants to keep him fire him yesterday

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

Bohls today:

Personally, I feel bad for Bohls. He’s seriously underrated on the list of worst guys covering UT sports because no one actually reads or listens to AAS content. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Personally, I feel bad for Bohls. He’s seriously underrated on the list of worst guys covering UT sports because no one actually reads or listens to AAS content. 

He's like Worst Texas Coverage Guy - Emeritus. It's been so long I forget he's actually out there doing his thing. 

• Hook 'Em 1