UT's next basketball coach - discussion/debate

alphahorn

37 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Oooffff

Gerry with a hypothetical “what would Terry have to do for you to want him to stay” thread on IT 

That Sucks The Office GIF

Message board fodder when we are top of the Big 12 before we hit the brick wall part of our schedule. 

CDC doesn’t leak and Gerry knows nothing. Must mean Rodney is a talker to the media and they love that access. I’m sure Rodney remembers most of these jackasses from his first tenure in Austin and how they’d sell their wife and kids for a story 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Js1 said:

CDC doesn’t leak and Gerry knows nothing. Must mean Rodney is a talker to the media and they love that access. I’m sure Rodney remembers most of these jackasses from his first tenure in Austin and how they’d sell their wife and kids for a story 

Alright, calm down a bit. Gerry is the most plugged in person in regards to Texas basketball in the market. It was a hypothetical question to generate conversation. He doesn’t need Rodney Terry to spoon feed him information for a story.

Edited by Hookem2147

4 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Alright, calm down a bit. Gerry is the most plugged in person in regards to Texas basketball in the market. It was a hypothetical question to generate conversation. He doesn’t need Rodney Terry to spoon feed him information for a story.

That’s not what I said. Chill out, Nancy. They probably love Terry bc he gives them access. Lest we already forgot Bohls whining bc Beard doesn’t return their text messages. 

I don’t think Terry had anything to with Gerry’s thread prompt. I think it’s easy gossip fodder when we are atop the Big 12. If we finish 3-6 or started 5-4, I don’t think we see the same thread. 

9 hours ago, Js1 said:

That’s not what I said. Chill out, Nancy. They probably love Terry bc he gives them access. Lest we already forgot Bohls whining bc Beard doesn’t return their text messages. 

I don’t think Terry had anything to with Gerry’s thread prompt. I think it’s easy gossip fodder when we are atop the Big 12. If we finish 3-6 or started 5-4, I don’t think we see the same thread. 

Gerry has a great relationship with Terry. Always has. He had a good relationship with Beard until that was choked away. He’ll have a good relationship with the next guy, whether it’s Terry or someone else. He’s developed a strong network. He’s passionate about what he does. He’s specifically passionate about basketball, although he’s made more of his career out of covering football recruiting. 

I’m sure you’re right that he’s tossing it out there to generate discussion. But the truth is the various stakeholders have to be having some of the same conversations. Terry’s not going to get the job no matter what. And they’re not going to go after someone else if he wins the national championship. So where along that continuum is the decision point? Im sure it’s different for each person. Then you get into who is the loudest and strongest advocate. If Eltife for example makes some kind of decision like he did with Sarkisian, everyone else is going to fall in line. But there are some big money guys (not billionaires, but mid 9 digit guys) who are really passionate about supporting the basketball team, and have been for more than a couple of decades. They’re going to have a voice as well. Especially considering the next hire would likely be a lot more expensive and harder to acquire, with more uncertainty, than Beard was at the time.

It seems like a legitimate conversation topic, to me at least. Whether it’s a signal of some kind of inside scoop or not. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Will the finally build him the new arena he’s been asking for is the question.

(Regardless of that answer I think he’s now out of the picture.)

I’m quite hesitant to declare anyone “out of the picture” with CDC in charge. 

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

Will the finally build him the new arena he’s been asking for is the question.

(Regardless of that answer I think he’s now out of the picture.)

The contract extension tour begins. 

What we need is for a top coach to be an alumnus, and therefore not interested in an extension until he finds out what’s going on with the Texas job. Know where we could find one of those?

(no, I’m not bitter)

if it’s not Terry and we get anyone even remotely as qualified as Beard, it’s pretty much a certainty it’s going to be a lot more expensive than Beard was. 

I’m stunned at how massive a lot of these buyouts are. I didn’t realize that had become something of an industry standard. I remember the days when Dodds publicly stated he didn’t even bother with buyouts. 

CDC is going to have to pay if he thinks he's bringing in a top 10 coach.   Which is his MO. 

Oats is going to have "one of the largest" buyouts, allegedly, in this new contract (Edit: $12 million for this year) 
Cronin is $20 million if broken before March 2024
Muss is $2 million but I'd be *shocked* if a new contract isn't announced in the next 90 days for him to raise that
Lloyd is $12 million
Tang is $5 million through April 30, but I would also bet something gets thrown on the table by the KSU side to up that

(From my Googling, which who knows what is or isn't.  I couldn't find Sean Miller's buyout) 

About the only thing we have going for us if we didn't have to pay off Beard since he was fired for cause.  His contract was like 70% guaranteed, so we did save about $20 million. 

Edited by Js1

I'm hardly aware of the profit/loss nature of the job, but I have to believe the early and overwhelming success of crowds at the Moody Center will play into BMD's willingness to pony up whatever buyout is necessary for Oats or anyone else.  I seriously doubt anyone is out of the conversation at this point.

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm hardly aware of the profit/loss nature of the job, but I have to believe the early and overwhelming success of crowds at the Moody Center will play into BMD's willingness to pony up whatever buyout is necessary for Oats or anyone else.  I seriously doubt anyone is out of the conversation at this point.

This. Moody is rocking.

“If you build it, they will come”

6 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Don't forget they separated donations for seating in Moody from donations elsewhere - specifically, DKR-Memorial. It's an additional revenue stream now. I know that wasn't pleasant for long time season ticket holders that suddenly had to shell out an additional expense, but it's helped the basketball program in all kinds of ways. Hiring a new coach is for sure one of them. Not just affording one, but making it even more important to hire the right one to keep the revenue flowing. 

Cross posting from the Terry thread. AAS article with some quotes from CDC about the search

Big raise: Joe Biden says the economy is improving, and he can prove it by Texas interim basketball coach Rodney Terry, who has gotten a pay bump from his $500,000 annual salary to $1.2 million for this year. He has done a great job with an 11-4 record with two road losses to top 10 teams Tennessee and Kansas. … Speaking for the first time on the subject, Del Conte said he will “seriously” consider promoting Terry to the permanent head coaching job after the season. “Absolutely I will,” Del Conte told me before Monday's Kansas game. “Without a doubt, he’s a serious candidate for the position. I’m so proud of Terry and the coaching staff. It’s just been remarkable. He’ll be strongly considered.” … One question mark might have been Terry’s ability to recruit elite talent, but he reminded me in Lawrence that “I was very involved and instrumental in helping build this Texas team. I was the point guy in recruiting Tyrese Hunter, Timmy Allen and Marcus Carr. I was knee-deep with them.” … Along those lines, Terry said Texas’ huge two recruits, McDonald’s All-American 6-foot-8 forward Ron Holland and 6-foot-5 guard A.J. Johnson from Fresno, Calif., are holding strong after signing with the Longhorns. Were their phones ringing after Chris Beard got fired? “Probably initially, yes,” Terry said. “Are they firm? Presently we are.” Del Conte said Terry’s time as a head coach for 10 years wouldn’t be a big factor. “I don’t pay much attention to that,” he said. But asked if Terry's postseason success in the NCAA Tournament will play a role, he said, “I don’t want to get into that.” … One source said veteran coaches like Kentucky’s John Calipari and Iona’s Rick Pitino will not be considered. Del Conte wouldn’t say if he reached out to just-retired Jay Wright — he should — but few think the Villanova legend would consider Texas. … Del Conte said he has not reached out to any coaches or their athletic directors, but will use a head-hunting firm to properly vet all candidates about their backgrounds. He has to after firing Beard in less than a season-and-a-half. He does recognize the mere vacancy at Texas will have an affect on the marketplace. “Nothing has happened,” Del Conte said. “But just because the job is open, people are going to get raises. You’ll see 100 people get raises. But I’ve not had any contact with anybody. I think we have the best job in the country. And Rodney will be considered for the job when the time is right. I want to let the coaches and athletes have a year that is unencumbered. I don’t want any more distractions.”

1 hour ago, SL Xpress said:

I glossed over it because of my anti Terry as head coach obsession (very glad he’s getting the raise, though). You’re right. What a strange non sequiter.

It’s a pretty classic Kurt Bowels piece. Stupid non sequiter. A bunch of hypotheticals and conjectures. Probably nothing truly sourced about other coaches. A standard response from CDC

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/10/2023 at 7:44 AM, SL Xpress said:

I glossed over it because of my anti Terry as head coach obsession (very glad he’s getting the raise, though). You’re right. What a strange non sequiter.

On 2/10/2023 at 9:29 AM, Js1 said:

It’s a pretty classic Kurt Bowels piece. Stupid non sequiter. A bunch of hypotheticals and conjectures. Probably nothing truly sourced about other coaches. A standard response from CDC

**non sequitur

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Relax, fellas.  Me and the UK AD go back a ways, put a bug in his ear to bring Coach Terry to Lexington. 

Anyone who questions Chris Beard will replace Calipari at Kentucky as their next coach - whenever that occurs - is out of their mind. Probably after the end of this season. 100%. 

From my understanding Billy Clyde was fired at UK for abusive behavior towards players, staff, etc.. Losing to the likes of Gardner Webb, San Diego and the likes did him no favors as well.  BC had a player block a FT attempt that was promptly assessed a T for... Thats equivalent of having Zeke hike the ball on your last play of your season. I'd be surprised if AD Top Button hired a coach with a DV allegation, I'm not going to pitch a bitch if it happens, Beards a damn good coach.  Just think he'll need to start his reclamation job at a non blue blood. JMO. 

38 minutes ago, Underdog said:

From my understanding Billy Clyde was fired at UK for abusive behavior towards players, staff, etc.. Losing to the likes of Gardner Webb, San Diego and the likes did him no favors as well.  BC had a player block a FT attempt that was promptly assessed a T for... Thats equivalent of having Zeke hike the ball on your last play of your season. I'd be surprised if AD Top Button hired a coach with a DV allegation, I'm not going to pitch a bitch if it happens, Beards a damn good coach.  Just think he'll need to start his reclamation job at a non blue blood. JMO. 

Gillispie was so abusive Beard couldn’t countenance it after a season and left for a minor league pro gig rather than stick around at Texas Tech as one of his assistants  

Gillispie also had all the drinking incidents and sleeping with coeds around Lexington. But at the end of the day he didn’t win enough. 

There were also drinking issues with Eddie Sutton while he was there  

However, I feel strongly you underestimate the hunger Kentucky fans have for winning. They hired a guy with two vacated Final Fours on his resume. They don’t give a shit.

Chris Beard will be the best coach on the market. It’s possible Calipari isn’t fired after this year, in which case Beard could get a job somewhere else. That’s one heck of a buyout, even for Kentucky basketball. I’m simply saying when the job does come open a dismissed domestic violence charge is going to be a minor speed bump for the Kentucky faithful. He’ll be there next coach. Wait and see. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

Gillispie was so abusive Beard couldn’t countenance it after a season and left for a minor league pro gig rather than stick around at Texas Tech as one of his assistants  

Gillispie also had all the drinking incidents and sleeping with coeds around Lexington. But at the end of the day he didn’t win enough. 

There were also drinking issues with Eddie Sutton while he was there  

However, I feel strongly you underestimate the hunger Kentucky fans have for winning. They hired a guy with two vacated Final Fours on his resume. They don’t give a shit.

Chris Beard will be the best coach on the market. It’s possible Calipari isn’t fired after this year, in which case Beard could get a job somewhere else. That’s one heck of a buyout, even for Kentucky basketball. I’m simply saying when the job does come open a dismissed domestic violence charge is going to be a minor speed bump for the Kentucky faithful. He’ll be there next coach. Wait and see. 

This.  Kentucky hoops will tolerate a lot in order to win.  

2 hours ago, Underdog said:

Just can't agree with you on Beard getting hired at UK, not with this AD.  I'd be happy with it just don't see it happening. 

I believe that Kentucky will find a new athletic director if the current guy lets a dismissed DV charge obstruct hiring the best coach on the market.  jmo.

Whoever takes the reigns will need a beard-like portal infusion next year to fill out the roster and some fast work getting all the pieces playing n harmony or we could be looking at a rough Big12 course

Terry is showing he can take a sold experienced team and keep them on track … word is he is a good recruiter … so if he sticks, the key will be how quickly he can get all the pieces playing at the expected level