UT's next basketball coach - discussion/debate

alphahorn

6 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

If Texas makes the final four framing that as a "no win situation" is funny.

I would take a final 4 if it meant a couple more years of Terry in a heartbeat. That's clearly a win for a program that's made 1 final 4 in about 70 years. 

This, this, this and more this.

I'll gladly accept a few more years of frustrating mediocrity if that means a Final Four run this season.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, MuellerHorn said:

I think the Elite 8 expectations are objectively based on being a two seed. Other than that, you could create a case for just about any outcome.

43% of 2 seeds have made the E8 in the last 10 tournaments. It's a ridículos standard. Doesn't matter, it's a done deal now. 20-point ass whopping of Kansas to win the Big 12. We have our coach.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

I mean, first of all, that isn't what I said. What you're implying is that it wouldn't be a guarantee that Beard would have this team in a better position to win a national championship at this point in the season.

Of course I can't be proven wrong - just like you can't be proven right. The most tangible and easily evaluated metric of this argument is the coaching ability of both guys. In what universe is Rodney Terry at the same level as Beard as a college basketball coach? Beard was booked for felony domestic violence then fired and less than 6 months later has a job as a head coach for a P5 basketball program. 

And Beard will likely go the way of Gillispie, because his demons don't get better in stressful situations.

14 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Meanwhile, checking in on Tony Bennett... 

Screenshot_20230311_203210_Chrome.jpg

We are judging coaches by their conference tournament results now? As if Tony Bennett is an unknown commodity and he needs to win the ACC tournament to prove his worth.

We fired Shaka Smart the same year he won the Big 12 tournament. That's how important the conference tournament is.

Edited by UTEE97
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

It's funny to me this guy is the reason Texas has its best offense in like 15 years. 

Beard hires Bob Donewald as director of player developement

Great move by Beard to turn the offense over to Donewald at the beginning of the season. Certainly has paid off.

Talking about a guy who has been around, including being chosen by Tao Ming to coach the Shanghai professional team in '09. London, Russia, Ukraine, Shangahai or more. Donewald's been all over. Big key to this team's success.

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

We are judging coaches by their conference tournament results now? As if Tony Bennett is an unknown commodity and he needs to win the ACC tournament to prove his worth.

We fired Shaka Smart the same year he won the Big 12 tournament. That's how important the conference tournament is.

I can see why you thought that was the point of my post, but my intention was quite to the contrary - he's an absolutely known commodity.

And his brand of basketball is often stiflingly, aggressively dull and boring. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom

12 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

I can see why you thought that was the point of my post, but my intention was quite to the contrary - he's an absolutely known commodity.

And his brand of basketball is often stiflingly, aggressively dull and boring. 

What was the point of your post? I still don't get it. He is a nad coach because he was losing the conference championship game and that Terry would be better because he won? 

1 minute ago, UTEE97 said:

What was the point of your post? I still don't get it. He is a nad coach because he was losing the conference championship game and that Terry would be better because he won? 

His teams are dull as shit. 

That's it. That's my entire point. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom

9 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

His teams are dull as shit. 

That's it. That's my entire point. 

A lot of people felt the same way about Beard and you can say the same about Sampson, but these guys win a lot of games, especially in the tourney. 

Edited by UTEE97

On 3/11/2023 at 9:40 PM, freyguy said:

At least yall have some time to figure out how to accept that Rodney Terry is going to be our coach for the next few years.  Let the rest of us know how it goes for yall.

I mean, I’ve had time since December. When he was given the interim tag he inherently became a candidate. If he did well enough he wasn’t going anywhere, and now here we are. 

That said, if he loses to Penn State, UT is going in a different direction, whether they should or shouldn’t. I’ve made my peace with it. I hope the team wins every game. It would be so much fun to be able to root on this group of guys in Houston. Whatever happens after this tournament - whether Terry is the head coach or not - it is what it is. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

Insightful.

I don’t think I was going for insightful there. Just countering the idea that people who weren’t excited about Terry being the head coach will have to come to terms with it. 

And it’s a good thing. Because you’re right. It wasn’t particularly insightful. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

Yeah this next game is the Rodney Terry bowl.  If Texas wins, he’s getting the job.  (He might even get it if we lose, but I think it’s inevitable with a win.  Assuming he doesn’t choke somebody.)

I don't have a dog in the fight, but as an Illinois fan, I wanted to offer that whatever happens in tomorrow's game, Shrewsberry has done a great job with this Penn's Taint team (beat our inconsistent and frustrating team 3x this season in convincing fashion...) and they're a much better team than their seed suggests. 

I want Shrewsberry out of the B1G ASAP. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

I don’t think I was going for insightful there. Just countering the idea that people who weren’t excited about Terry being the head coach will have to come to terms with it. 

And it’s a good thing. Because you’re right. It wasn’t particularly insightful. 

exactly this. i have never understood this need for contentiousness from the pro-Terry crowd. such a defensive, combative group. they can't just say, "i think RT should be the coach, others disagree, and that's ok." instead it's more like, "RT is gonna be the next HC and all you pieces of shit who didn't want him can eat a fucking dick!!!!"

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7vi6jho4gzss747ns59

it's fucking weird lol. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

18 hours ago, royiv said:

Tony Bennett and Tommy Lloyd are both available. Anyone?

Bennett now has somebody to share the title with for coaching a 1 seed that lost to a 16th seed.  A year later, UVA won it all.  Have no clue who the next HC will be but crazy shit happens.  

Edited by Mdhorn

3E3F6DFD-4ECA-48CE-B691-90F9A3874FE1.thumb.jpeg.f90142e6f96bace0578e257ac6948284.jpeg

i mean, we could do worse. 🤷🏼‍♂️ he also comes off really well in interviews. humble yet unapologetically confident. speaks truthfully and has high expectations of his team. those remind me of some of the best traits that barnes and beard possessed, along with the great defense and physicality. i definitely could get on board with a coach who brings the best of those two guys without any of the baggage of felony arrests.

Edited by shadow_operative

5 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

He turns 64 later this year. I'm sure we'd prefer to hire someone younger if possible.

that's the thing- the market, as far as we know, is super, super thin. cdc may have something up his sleeve involving a younger coach, but if you're looking for a coach who a)is a clear upgrade over terry, b)is available, and c)has actual skins on the wall, then you're probably looking at someone in his late 50's at best.

edit: in fact he's only five years older than billy donovan. and jay wright turns 62 this year believe it or not.

Edited by shadow_operative

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

that's the thing- the market, as far as we know, is super, super thin. cdc may have something up his sleeve involving a younger coach, but if you're looking for a coach who a)is a clear upgrade over terry, b)is available, and c)has actual skins on the wall, then you're probably looking at someone in his late 50's at best.

edit: in fact he's only five years older than billy donovan. 

I don't have anything against hiring an older coach in general. But 1) there's a big difference between a guy like Dutcher and Billy Donovan/Jay Wright; and 2) I'd say that 5 years could make a bigger difference than it seems like in a vacuum in that age bracket too.

2 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

I don't have anything against hiring an older coach in general. But 1) there's a big difference between a guy like Dutcher and Billy Donovan/Jay Wright; and 2) I'd say that 5 years could make a bigger difference than it seems like in a vacuum in that age bracket too.

i also think that 63 is a lot younger than it used to be, and Dutcher's resume is better than many of the speculative options out there. not saying that he's my new favorite, but i wouldn't be mad at hiring him either.

On 3/6/2023 at 6:41 PM, Rickylovesweed said:

They were a top 10 team when Terry took over. It's not like Terry took over a bad team and turned them into a top 10 team. This team was already really good and to Terry's credit he has stabilized a tricky situation. 

BUT any wise AD can recognize that Terry has never built a top 10 team, has never won big with a team he's built, and certainly hasn't done it in a power conference. 

The last coach did all that and won the only Big12 tournament title and got walked out. 

What actually matters?

On 3/6/2023 at 6:41 PM, Rickylovesweed said:

They were a top 10 team when Terry took over. It's not like Terry took over a bad team and turned them into a top 10 team. This team was already really good and to Terry's credit he has stabilized a tricky situation. 

BUT any wise AD can recognize that Terry has never built a top 10 team, has never won big with a team he's built, and certainly hasn't done it in a power conference. 

The last coach did all that and won the only Big12 tournament title and got walked out. 

What actually matters?

Just now, shadow_operative said:

i also think that 63 is a lot younger than it used to be, and Dutcher's resume is better than many of the speculative options out there. not saying that he's my new favorite, but i wouldn't be mad at hiring him either.

It can be. I don't think of that as "old" in general with people I know, I'm just thinking more in terms of what is ideally a long-term hire if he does well - so given when most coaches retire, you might be looking at 15-20 years of Donovan, but maybe only a decade of someone Dutcher's age.

If you're thinking is right about it maybe being inevitable, are comfortable with a shorter-term solution, and want someone with an even better resume, why not kick the tires on John Beilein?

9 minutes ago, Slacks said:

What actually matters?

Who are you talking about here? Because if you're saying that Shaka Smart built a Top 10 team and won with a team he built in a power conference I'd like to know what you're smoking.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1