UT's next basketball coach - discussion/debate

alphahorn

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Who are you talking about here? Because if you're saying that Shaka Smart built a Top 10 team and won with a team he built in a power conference I'd like to know what you're smoking.

Fuck it, I was falling asleep an hour ago...

17 minutes ago, jw4381 said:

Dude needs to hit the weight room.

That’s what I told my wife.

”Get that chicken-chested fool off the table!” 

But yeah, I like him.

And if we’re taking about a 70yr old Pitino- Hell, just back up a Brinks to Coach K’s bank and “direct deposit” that shit right into his account.

Why do Texas fans always talk about money whipping a legendary coach? We have never done that. Ever.

I'd be fine with Musselman, Terry, or whomever shows up.

I like dancing with the winner you're dancing with, so I'm partial to Terry until he isn't delivering.

• Hook 'Em 2

I wish this and the two Rodney Terry threads were combined.  There are some who will never want Terry, regardless of how far Texas goes in the tournament.  I'm not one of them, but would like to hear opinions on who the viable options are at this point.  Relatively young coaches with meaningful experience, who win a lot of tournament games without frequently shitting the bed in the first round, and who don't have significant character issues aren't growing on trees. 

The shine has dulled on a lot of the early candidates.  Does anyone even check all of our boxes anymore? 

1 hour ago, idigTexas said:

I wish this and the two Rodney Terry threads were combined.  There are some who will never want Terry, regardless of how far Texas goes in the tournament

Yes.  8/198 voters. Which you know because we have the other thread. 

I agree with your point though. And I agree that there aren't a lot of coaches that we would want and that we can get who are a clear upgrade at this point.

I will say I would not be shocked by the Donovan news. 

Like I told @Lonestar88 in the recruiting thread Donovan's days with the Bulls are cooked. He's going to be there maybe 1 more year even with the recent extension. Then another NBA team won't hire him after failing at his 2nd NBA gig. 

My guess is Donovan will be back in college basketball next season or the year to follow. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

14 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

On a serious note, Texas needs to hire Rick Stansbury as an assistant. 

He's not a good head coach but a great assistant and recruiter. 

Yup, he was the gold for aggy when they had those S16 runs. But I do believe he’s sketchy on the recruiting trail.

17 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I will say I would not be shocked by the Donovan news. 

Like I told @Lonestar88 in the recruiting thread Donovan's days with the Bulls are cooked. He's going to be there maybe 1 more year even with the recent extension. Then another NBA team won't hire him after failing at his 2nd NBA gig. 

My guess is Donovan will be back in college basketball next season or the year to follow. 

Not sure on timeline but coach Donovan wants to come back to college bball now that cheating is legal (NIL). Sounds like there is real interest from his side for the potential UT job, but not sure how you move on from RT at this point.

• Like 1

Just now, SirLurksAlot said:

Not sure on timeline but coach Donovan wants to come back to college bball now that cheating is legal (NIL). Sounds like there is real interest from his side for the potential UT job, but not sure how you move on from RT at this point.

I'm all for the RT love but if we pass on Dilly Donovan for RT it would be a monumentally stupid decision. 

Granted, I need to see more confirmation that Donovan actually wants the job. 

• Hook 'Em 3

43 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I’d take BD all day. 

Yea.  He’d do great here.  First choice for me

16 minutes ago, Pancho said:

I do not believe Billy Donovan is interested in fucking tech. Neither is Pitino. That is tech people putting that out there to make themselves se grander than they are.

Lmao.  Idk about pitino but Donavan ain’t going to tech

12 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Texas will get no flack if they hire Donovan, a coach who has won two NCAA titles and is still in his 50's.  That is a no brainer hire.

I don't care if Texas does get flack.  This isn't a popularity contest, and everybody hates us anyway.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, SirLurksAlot said:

you move on from RT if Billy D is available, and you find a way to show RT love at the same time. cdc tells RT that Donovan is a serious candidate, that both will be considered, and ultimately, when cdc chooses BD, he does everything he can to do right by RT. eg make RT the highest paid assistant in the country, make him the HCIW, fill his contract with bonuses, or have cdc help to find him a different HC job somewhere where RT would be really happy. whatever it take to show love and respect to RT for the loyalty he's shown Texas and the job he's done this season. i'm 100% on board with RT being our next HC, and i'm even excited about it...unless we can get Billy Donovan to take over right away. 

• Hook 'Em 6

25 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

you move on from RT if Billy D is available, and you find a way to show RT love at the same time. cdc tells RT that Donovan is a serious candidate, that both will be considered, and ultimately, when cdc chooses BD, he does everything he can to do right by RT. eg make RT the highest paid assistant in the country, make him the HCIW, fill his contract with bonuses, or have cdc help to find him a different HC job somewhere where RT would be really happy. whatever it take to show love and respect to RT for the loyalty he's shown Texas and the job he's done this season. i'm 100% on board with RT being our next HC, and i'm even excited about it...unless we can get Billy Donovan to take over right away. 

Without looking, I’d bet Terry is older than Billy.  

I think RT won the job but he would not be my first choice.   Donavan is.  Proud of RT and it wouldn’t upset me if he were the coach but this Donavan we’re talking about