UT's next basketball coach - discussion/debate

alphahorn

3 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Without looking, I’d bet Terry is older than Billy.  

I think RT won the job but he would not be my first choice.   Donavan is.  Proud of RT and it wouldn’t upset me if he were the coach but this Donavan we’re talking about

Yup, it's essentially an Urban Meyer type hire for the basketball program. And any talk of RT deserves it would take care of itself because of the clout Donavan would come with.

• Hook 'Em 2

You can’t just bestow a HCIW title on someone with out the new head coach agreeing to it. It would also imply the new coach isn’t going to be here long in which case why would you hire him? If it’s Donovan, yes you’d have to hire him. Terry can get a HC job on his own, although CDC can’t force another school to hire Terry but he can give a great letter of recommendation.

EDIT to also say you can’t force an assistant coach on a HC. So if we hire someone else, it would be their right to fill out the staff as they see fit. 

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

you move on from RT if Billy D is available, and you find a way to show RT love at the same time. cdc tells RT that Donovan is a serious candidate, that both will be considered, and ultimately, when cdc chooses BD, he does everything he can to do right by RT. eg make RT the highest paid assistant in the country, make him the HCIW, fill his contract with bonuses, or have cdc help to find him a different HC job somewhere where RT would be really happy. whatever it take to show love and respect to RT for the loyalty he's shown Texas and the job he's done this season. i'm 100% on board with RT being our next HC, and i'm even excited about it...unless we can get Billy Donovan to take over right away. 

Fuck off, you flip flopping piece of shit. You were literally stating not even a week ago that he shouldn’t be our coach even if he won a national championship this year because he couldn’t build winning programs at UTEP and Fresno State and denouncing anyone who challenged you. A few days ago in a separate poll, you espoused that he would get offered the gig if he made it to the Sweet 16, but he shouldn’t regardless of how he performed.

Now, magically after winning 2 games, it’s “I love RT. He’s the best. I am fully on board. Help me with photoshop everyone, he’s hot rod. I add value to the board.”

What a fucking tosser. You and Loop can get fucked.

Edited by Henry Hill
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1
  • Drool 1

I think hiring another coach and asking RT to take the HCIW title as an assistant is a bigger "fuck you" than just moving on.  Beyond that, his resume would be no better with more years as an assistant than it will be once/if we get bounced from the 2023 tournament.

I strongly suspect CDC would help broker a great landing spot if he goes for a bigger name than RT.

• Hook 'Em 1

It’s great that Terry has made the sweet sixteen and I’m indifferent at this point to whether he is hired, but I can’t help but remember that the team was still struggling until the Kansas game and they’ve beaten a 10 seed and 15 seed in the tournament. It’s great what he’s done, but doesn’t necessarily make it a slam dunk he is going to be successful. CDC has a tough call. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Henry Hill said:

Fuck off, you flip flopping piece of shit. You were literally stating not even a week ago that he shouldn’t be our coach even if he won a national championship this year because he couldn’t build winning programs at UTEP and Fresno State and denouncing anyone who challenged you. A few days ago in a separate poll, you espoused that he would get offered the gig if he made it to the Sweet 16, but he shouldn’t regardless of how he performed.

Now, magically after winning 2 games, it’s “I love RT. He’s the best. I am fully on board. Help me with photoshop everyone, he’s hot rod. I add value to the board.”

8 days ago he said this "i'm getting to the point where i'm thinking that Terry being named our next HC will be the best possible outcome..." Doesn't quite jive with your rant.

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, po elvis said:

8 days ago he said this "i'm getting to the point where i'm thinking that Terry being named our next HC will be the best possible outcome..." Doesn't quite jive with your rant.

Hah! I was going to say something, as well, but knowing Derka, figured I wouldn't need to. I'm sure he'll be along shortly ...

21 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

It’s great that Terry has made the sweet sixteen and I’m indifferent at this point to whether he is hired, but I can’t help but remember that the team was still struggling until the Kansas game and they’ve beaten a 10 seed and 15 seed in the tournament. It’s great what he’s done, but doesn’t necessarily make it a slam dunk he is going to be successful. CDC has a tough call. 

We were ‘still struggling’ prior to Kansas?  We dropped two games on the road to tournament teams in the toughest conference in the country….

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Henry Hill said:

you are so overly emotional and combative that i really shouldn't even be responding to any of your childish shit. i still don't think that RT is good enough for this job, and there's a 0% chance that he would ever be considered for this job based on his own coaching career prior to beard being fired. but the way the season has played out, he's earned it, and he's a better/safer option than anyone else who is available, as far as i'm aware of.

now grow up you blathering fucking child. you're like me from 2009. just an angry, childish, combative fucking lunatic, only without anything of substance to being to the board. just the fucking worst. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, po elvis said:

ive always loved RT, i've just never felt that he's a good enough HC for Texas to ever consider him under normal circumstances. and i've obviously never said that i wouldn't hire him if he won the national title, i said that Texas's tourney run- good or bad- was not going to change how i feel about RT's qualifications when it comes to being given the actual head coaching job at Texas. 

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

During Tech's magical tourney, Their first two opponents were Northern Kentucky and Buffalo.  Buffalo was good, yes, but still a mid major.  But I don't hold that against Tech as they earned the high seed.  And I'm sure you don't either.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ignatius said:

We were ‘still struggling’ prior to Kansas?  We dropped two games on the road to tournament teams in the toughest conference in the country….

no shit.  our fanbase is kinda dumb.  losing a few games in the big 12 this year never = struggling.  and to further the point, the fact that we were in position to play a 15 seed and then a 10 seed amplifies that fact.

37 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

you are so overly emotional and combative that i really shouldn't even be responding to any of your childish shit. i still don't think that RT is good enough for this job, and there's a 0% chance that he would ever be considered for this job based on his own coaching career prior to beard being fired. but the way the season has played out, he's earned it, and he's a better/safer option than anyone else who is available, as far as i'm aware of.

now grow up you blathering fucking child. you're like me from 2009. just an angry, childish, combative fucking lunatic, only without anything of substance to being to the board. just the fucking worst. 

You are a late 30s stay at home son who sits on his morbidly obese ass, plays video games and eats cheesy poofs all day long. The only “value” you add in life is posting unnecessarily high volumes of message board musings for a school you didn’t go to because you are too much of a fuck up to do anything else.

53 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

henry hill won't even be able to enjoy any of our success next year because every time we do something well he'll be running to this board to cuss me out in 500 words because of how much i (in his mind) hate rodney terry and want him to fail. it's sad. 

I always enjoy the successes in academia, athletics and philanthropy from the school I graduated from (that’s Texas, the school you didn’t go to). I don’t enjoy fucktards like you who dominate the airwaves with their blathering drivel because they have literally nothing else to do with their pathetic lives. 

• Fuck You 13

11 minutes ago, Henry Hill said:

You are a late 30s stay at home son who sits on his morbidly obese ass, plays video games and eats cheesy poofs all day long. The only “value” you add in life is posting unnecessarily high volumes of message board musings for a school you didn’t go to because you are too much of a fuck up to do anything else.

I always enjoy the successes in academia, athletics and philanthropy from the school I graduated from (that’s Texas, the school you didn’t go to). I don’t enjoy fucktards like you who dominate the airwaves with their blathering drivel because they have literally nothing else to do with their pathetic lives. 

way to represent UT. i'm sure everyone here is proud to have you as a fellow alum. 

btw, im morbidly obese and out of work because of health problems which are literally killing me right now (if i'm still alive in 1.5 years i'll take you out to dinner), and yet you could not pay me to switch lives with you. i feel super sad for anyone as angry and immature as you are. that was me at my worst. it's honestly pathetic.

also, you having gone to UT does not make you superior to anyone. you're a sad, small person. and i'll bet my net worth (lol) that our fellow hoops board posters appreciate and value me, my presence, and my input 1000x more than they do you and any of your whiny, combative bullshit. 

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

During Tech's magical tourney, Their first two opponents were Northern Kentucky and Buffalo.  Buffalo was good, yes, but still a mid major.  But I don't hold that against Tech as they earned the high seed.  And I'm sure you don't either.  

Yep.  You can only play who's in front of ya. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Terry has done an excellent job under an adverse situation.  If he is named head coach, I would just say…Hook’em.  However, I still believe that if he was named our head coach a couple of years ago, like Beard, we would not be going to Sweat Sixteen. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, MirrOlure said:

Quick rabbit trail question that came up over here today: is there any other school with three former head coaches currently coaching at “major” programs, like we’ll have next year?

Good question. I bet there's a mid-major out there who's been chugging out coaches. Providence would have had Pitino, Barnes, and Pete Gillen all working at major programs at one point.

2 hours ago, Henry Hill said:

WTF

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

btw, im morbidly obese and out of work because of health problems which are literally killing me right now (if i'm still alive in 1.5 years i'll take you out to dinner), 

Yoooooo... Wth? 

I'll take you out to dinner next time I've got free time in Austin. I think you're a good dude, no matter how wild you get online.

I want Rodney Terry to get the job because I want to support and reward our guys when they do well. I don't need a splash hire. I just want lots of winning and recruiting.

Of course I would love to have a coach that can get the talent that BD was able to.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, Henry Hill said:

This is over the line imo. Derka I’ve got your back. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 9

10 minutes ago, Slacks said:

Yoooooo... Wth? 

I'll take you out to dinner next time I've got free time in Austin. I think you're a good dude, no matter how wild you get online.

I want Rodney Terry to get the job because I want to support and reward our guys when they do well. I don't need a splash hire. I just want lots of winning and recruiting.

Of course I would love to have a coach that can get the talent that BD was able to.

i'm really happy for RT, and i assume the job is his. hopefully we've got some more wins coming our way so that there's no doubt. right now i *think* that the job is his. if we beat xavier- the no.2 3 point shooting team in the country, the #16 team in the country in terms of D-1 experience, and a team that features a talented 7 footer- that will be a huge statement in behalf of RT's coaching acumen. Xavier is not an ideal matchup for us. if he wins that game, how can anyone argue that he deserves the job?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

If CDC has no doubts that Rodney Terry can recruit and use the transfer portal as effectively as Beard did almost immediately upon arrival then he’ll give Terry the job based on this year’s team’s performance after the Beard suspension/firing.  Questions CDC will have to weigh is how much the transfer portal/recruiting success under Beard had to do with Beard vs how much it had to do with factors such as UT’s significant advantages in an NIL world and moving into a new stadium.  Maybe CDC will have doubts and bet his job and reputation on a more established coaching candidate.  Or perhaps he’ll view the current safe move to give RT a short term prove it contract in lieu of expected media criticism if he does otherwise. All of us out here outside of the program are just guessing

8 hours ago, troph said:

Texas going from beard to BD after Texas did the right thing would be fine with me.

I've stated ad nauseum that he' d be my first choice, even over Pat Riley and Dick Motta.  He's perfect for us.  He has the ideal experience and record.  

Would need to understand how to be respectful to RT.  Yes, he was handed a talented roster that he actually helped build, but it was a shit show thanks to Chris Beard.  So hats off to RT.  The pushback will be pretty intense initially but people will get over it imo.