UT's next basketball coach - discussion/debate

alphahorn

11 minutes ago, Steelers Roll Left said:

If CDC has no doubts that Rodney Terry can recruit and use the transfer portal as effectively as Beard did almost immediately upon arrival then he’ll give Terry the job based on this year’s team’s performance after the Beard suspension/firing.  Questions CDC will have to weigh is how much the transfer portal/recruiting success under Beard had to do with Beard vs how much it had to do with factors such as UT’s significant advantages in an NIL world and moving into a new stadium.  Maybe CDC will have doubts and bet his job and reputation on a more established coaching candidate.  Or perhaps he’ll view the current safe move to give RT a short term prove it contract in lieu of expected media criticism if he does otherwise. All of us out here outside of the program are just guessing

Even the most hardened RT haters acknowledged he can recruit.  He has also been around our best teams, talked Chris into taking Rice.  He knows talent as well and kids obviously love him.  He'd build a very talented team.  Just because he can't recruit Fresno and UTEP does not mean he can't recruit at Texas.  Also, if you look at Fresno's history, maybe Terry's time there wasn't so bad?

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Even the most hardened RT haters acknowledged he can recruit.  He has also been around our best teams, talked Chris into taking Rice.  He knows talent as well and kids obviously love him.  He'd build a very talented team.  Just because he can't recruit Fresno and UTEP does not mean he can't recruit at Texas.  Also, if you look at Fresno's history, maybe Terry's time there wasn't so bad?

see but if he can recruit (he is good for sure), why couldn't he recruit at UTEP?

He did great at Fresno (3 contract extensions in 7 years) but he spent almost 20 years coaching in the State of Texas. He absolutely should have done better than 8-21, 17-15, 12-12 at UTEP. huge black mark on his record.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, NoName said:

see but if he can recruit (he is good for sure), why couldn't he recruit at UTEP?

He did great at Fresno (3 contract extensions in 7 years) but he spent almost 20 years coaching in the State of Texas. He absolutely should have done better than 8-21, 17-15, 12-12 at UTEP. huge black mark on his record.

Yeah, there's being able to recruit and then being able to recruit at UTEP.  I know they won that title back when they beat that UK team lead by Pat Riley, but there's just not a lot to work with.  But still, his conference foes aren't exactly easy to recruit to either, so I get it.  

The records you posted shows a 13 game improvement from year 1 to 2 though.

14 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

no shit.  our fanbase is kinda dumb.  losing a few games in the big 12 this year never = struggling.  and to further the point, the fact that we were in position to play a 15 seed and then a 10 seed amplifies that fact.

So even when the head coach himself said in an interview they struggled for awhile, when the team got down by double digits in five games, lost to a bad Tech team, got blown out by Kansas St, struggled to beat a bad OU team twice, and blew the conference championship twice, you think that doesn’t qualify as struggling. That a W or L is the only definition of struggling? Sure. Dumb fans indeed. I just quoted a post from one. 

27 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The biggest black eye on Terry's record at UTEP is the fact he had Soley Boum and Bryson Williams on the same team and couldn't do anything with them in the C-USA.

Boum is Xavier's best player this season on a Sweet 16 team and Bryson Williams was the best player on Tech's Sweet 16 team last year. 

Let's also not act like recruiting to UTEP should be easy because it's "in Texas." As far as the talent hotbeds are concerned, UTEP might as well be in New Mexico. UTEP is about the same drive from Dallas as Mizzou and the same drive from Houston as Florida State.

I'm with those who aren't thrilled about the likelihood of Terry getting the job but won't say much about it because he has been a godsend to our program this year. 

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

Just because he can't recruit Fresno and UTEP does not mean he can't recruit at Texas. 

This is just not true.  As I posted in another thread, Terry's recruiting average his last 4 years at Fresno was 72.  The previous 4 years averaged 142.  He recruited significantly better there than anyone except Tarkanian, who landed them on probation.

Also if you give him this staff at Fresno or UTEP, they would have been MUCH MUCH better.  And while the staff followed Beard to UT, they also followed the $$$.  

42 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Let's also not act like recruiting to UTEP should be easy because it's "in Texas." As far as the talent hotbeds are concerned, UTEP might as well be in New Mexico. UTEP is about the same drive from Dallas as Mizzou and the same drive from Houston as Florida State.

I'm with those who aren't thrilled about the likelihood of Terry getting the job but won't say much about it because he has been a godsend to our program this year. 

2 minutes ago, HookEm said:

This is just not true.  As I posted in another thread, Terry's recruiting average his last 4 years at Fresno was 72.  The previous 4 years averaged 142.  He recruited significantly better there than anyone except Tarkanian, who landed them on probation.

Also if you give him this staff at Fresno or UTEP, they would have been MUCH MUCH better.  And while the staff followed Beard to UT, they also followed the $$$.  

I’m trying to ride the middle as the anti RT guys start frothing at the mouths if you say it’s hard to win at Fresno and utep

42 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

i never said it should be easy but for a guy people talk about as a Tim Brewster at Texas level recruiting rainmaker, who spent nearly 20 years coaching HS and College BB in Texas - he should have done better. or he isn't the kind of rainmaker that people want him to be.

I actually think Terry's recruiting/eye for talent was pretty damn good at UTEP. 

Like I said above, getting Boum and Williams on the same team at a small school is impressive. The problem is he couldn't win with them. My biggest worry is the coaching versus roster construction/recruiting. 

The hope is that with the resources at Texas you can build a staff (I.e. Donewald, Ogden, etc) to overcome deficiencies on the coaching side. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Loop 1604 said:

RT is gonna be our HC 1000%. I'm choosing to have faith that he'll improve his overall coaching record here while taking us to multiple FFs in the next 10 years.

Being negative nancy doesn't do shit.

That’s the type of simple minded thinking that gets us stuck with Shaka for 6 years 

• Haha 3

Unless Donovan is ready to come to Texas this year, there is not a huge crowd of jaw-dropping candidates waiting for us to snatch them up. If we are going with less than a home-run hire, Terry makes sense for a lot of reasons, most of which I will not rehearse here. In his first turn at the wheel of a major men's team, he has us two games away from matching our best result ever. What he did at UTEP is potentially informative, but the best indicator of how he is likely to coach Texas in the tournament is more likely to be (granted, a limited data set) how he has coached Texas in the tournament. Chasing some other "maybe" or "probably" when we have at least in some sense a S16 coach would be foolishness. Hope that Donovan surprises us and comes or, failing that, that Terry has grown in team-building under Beard and brings us right back next year without his interim tag.

• Hook 'Em 1

This touches on exactly how I approach this.

It’s inevitable that he’s getting the gig, and people can argue over “whose team” this is…but the facts are he’s been in charge since what could have been a complete derailment, and has us legitimately in the hunt for a National Championship.

Is it possible that he crashes and burns in as little as two years? Absolutely.

Are any of the so-called candidates guaranteed to succeed in that timeframe? Absolutely not.

If we’re looking for another coach in ‘25 or ‘26, we have the brand, infrastructure, money and finances to hire pretty much whoever we want.

So I’ll enjoy (hopefully) what’s left of this year’s ride, will look forward to how the ‘23-‘24 roster shakes out, and will be cautiously enthusiastic about next year and beyond.
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

This touches on exactly how I approach this.

It’s inevitable that he’s getting the gig, and people can argue over “whose team” this is…but the facts are he’s been in charge since what could have been a complete derailment, and has us legitimately in the hunt for a National Championship.

Is it possible that he crashes and burns in as little as two years? Absolutely.

Are any of the so-called candidates guaranteed to succeed in that timeframe? Absolutely not.

So I’ll enjoy (hopefully) what’s left of this year’s ride, will look forward to how the ‘23-‘24 roster shakes out, and will be cautiously enthusiastic about next year and beyond.

I've come to grips with the idea that Terry will have the interim label taken off in the very near future. Unless a home-run hire is interested, that's probably the best route to take. However, I'd certainly hedge my bets a bit and not give him a long-term deal right off the bat. Make it a three-year deal that is not painful to get out of if we find out in 12-24 months that he's just not gonna cut it at Texas as THE guy.

4 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I've come to grips with the idea that Terry will have the interim label taken off in the very near future. Unless a home-run hire is interested, that's probably the best route to take. However, I'd certainly hedge my bets a bit and not give him a long-term deal right off the bat. Make it a three-year deal that is not painful to get out of if we find out in 12-24 months that he's just not gonna cut it at Texas as THE guy.

3 year deal would be bad for him....it doesn't help recruiting. Just structure his deal where it's front loaded in year 1-2 as a thank you for this year then tails off so buyout gets cheaper in 3-5 but also add performance bonuses for 3-5 such as making Sweet 16, Elite 8, FF, championship etc .

Edited by BurntOrange&White

4 hours ago, closetohumping said:

OK, but it should be added that in the late 00’s Rodney Terry was recruiting players to play for Rick Barnes Texas basketball.  Now he would be recruiting players to Rodney Terry Texas basketball and whatever that means for top recruits and transfers that Texas wants to be in the market for.

29 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

UT will get destroyed in the press if CDC doesn't hire RT.  

I don't think CDC gives a shit what the press thinks. As mentioned elsewhere we've been given almost zero credit for cutting Beard loose while Ole Miss is being given a pass for hiring the turd. 

It appears CDC has to worry about internal stakeholders - not the idiots in the press (based on what those who would know are suggesting).

Edited by The Dog

57 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

lol you forgot Pat Riley and Steve Kerr

Steve Kerr is unavailable for interview.  Pat Riley never won shit without Magic Johnson or corrupt refs.  Phil Jackson or bust if we are going for NBA experience. bring on the McRibs!

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

3 year deal would be bad for him....it doesn't help recruiting. Just structure his deal where it's front loaded in year 1-2 as a thank you for this year then tails off so buyout gets cheaper in 3-5 but also add performance bonuses for 3-5 such as making Sweet 16, Elite 8, FF, championship etc .

agree.  he won't get anything less than a 4 year deal.  the funny thing is that the 4 year deal was always about a recruit wanting to know his coach will be there all 4 years and giving a coach a full 4 years to get one class to seniors.  Most of these guys are rarely around for 4 years anymore.  either portal in with less than 4 years left,  portal out before year 4, or go draft/euro. 

that said, it is the going timeline for a contract to say you believe in the coach.  Terry can recruit with the best of them.

57 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Three year deal dooms RT right out of the gate. Give him a longer deal with a low buyout.

• Fuck You 2

1 hour ago, Steelers Roll Left said:

OK, but it should be added that in the late 00’s Rodney Terry was recruiting players to play for Rick Barnes Texas basketball.  Now he would be recruiting players to Rodney Terry Texas basketball and whatever that means for top recruits and transfers that Texas wants to be in the market for.

And he seems to be pretty well liked by players and recruits.  I don't think he'll have an issue stacking talent.

5 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Our next opponent's leading scorer played for RT at UTEP. Already posted but as a UTEP fan I thought he overachieved putting a roster together (Souley Boum was a transfer), and then those teams underachieved. Boum was good but looks a lot better now. Just mo.

Edited by GringoSalado

14 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I’m happy we’re in the sweet 16 but RT beat a 15 and a 10 seed so I don’t think the standard is just to make it with this veteran roster he has. Let’s see if he can beat a single digit seed this Friday first. 

We haven't made it to the Sweet 16 since 2008. Give him the job.

• Fuck You 2

14 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I’m happy we’re in the sweet 16 but RT beat a 15 and a 10 seed so I don’t think the standard is just to make it with this veteran roster he has. Let’s see if he can beat a single digit seed this Friday first. 

Kansas was a 1. Kansas State was a 3. He beat Baylor and TCU. He beat Iowa State. All were single digits.

• Haha 1