UT's next basketball coach - discussion/debate

alphahorn

16 hours ago, TexEx15 said:

Not sure why I could not add text to my original quote post.

I disagree here. Unless CDC can pull Donovan or Wright it’s really pretty easy. Who else are you going to hire that doesn’t have similar questions as RT without the feel good story of this year to go along with it. I don’t think Mussleman is realistic.  Oats ain’t it anymore. Etc…

Muss isn’t realistic but Jay Wright is?

Thinking What GIF by HBO Max 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

All I know is they were openly saying on The Horn yesterday that RT’s agent was the source. 

Disappointing if true.  Someone is wrong here though.  Bobby and Gerry are saying he's the guy so I would guess terms have been agreed upon?  If this is a money grab, then I'll say adios RT, appreciate the service.

2 hours ago, UTEE97 said:

I disagree with your premise that the reward for earning a 2 seed this year should be for the interim coach to get the full time job. I think the proper reward is a bonus or salary bump. Our floor when he took over was probably 3-4 seed and the ceiling being a 1 seed. We landed in the middle.

I have said it repeatedly here that the full time HC job is different than the interim job, which was to keep the ship on course. Next year, the HC will have to build the ship and recruit the crew. Perhaps there are no good options available, so Terry gets the job by default.

I think we will see a drop off next year and become a .500 team the year after. People will forget about this year and start questioning why we didn't try to hire someone with a better track record. I am just trying to enjoy this season and hope we go deep because the next few seasons will most likely disappoint.

If that is what you inferred from my comments, then I'll have to backtrack.  My original message was in response to another poster who suggested that Texas winning the first two games of the tournament should be expected because we were the 2 seed and that it in some manner diminishes Terry's accomplishments.  

I don't think being a 2 seed alone earns earns the job any more than I think failing to reach the Elite Eight loses it.  People are putting way too much stock in reaching a specific level in the tournament.  That was my point.

I don't know if Terry would be my first choice to coach Texas next season, but I'm having trouble coming up with a list of realistic candidates that would be an obvious choice over him.  Thankfully, I don't have to make that decision, and I have full confidence in the person who does.    

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2023 at 9:36 AM, Js1 said:

Yep.

If you want someone who is going to build it and then retire, Wright is 61. 

I want a younger, high energy guy.  Oats is 48. Muss is 58 but seemingly has the energy of a 38 year old, Lloyd is 48, Dan Hurley is 49, Sean Miller is 54. 

Man, my UConn friend was just telling me about Dan Hurley. I don’t know whether we could have gotten him because he’s an east coast guy, but according to my friend he’s a helluva coach, having learned from his dad, who is one of the most prolific coaches on the east coast ever. 

On 12/13/2022 at 5:30 PM, chemHORN said:

Quin Snyder is available.  Has both College and NBA experience and has coached in Austin before. We could do worse if we are in need of a new coach. 

Paper said Quin Snyder was strongly considered by Texas before he became head coach for the Atlanta Hawks.  @chemHORN got that correct.

His lovely wife Amy has a Ph.D. from the University of Texas. I can see two good reasons to have considered Quin.

gettyimages-983928406-2048x2048.webp

3 hours ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

Paper said Quin Snyder was strongly considered by Texas before he became head coach for the Atlanta Hawks.  @chemHORN got that correct.

His lovely wife Amy has a Ph.D. from the University of Texas. I can see two good reasons to have considered Quin.

gettyimages-983928406-2048x2048.webp

Probably getting cucked by the guy on the left. Jimbo vibes. Would not hire. 

9B710104-BCE5-4057-B67F-DD867AC6FD95.jpeg

9211D1E7-D087-43D3-B978-D877A350F9CF.jpeg

69FFF207-7315-4114-B25D-350506FA81E0.jpeg

E77D7093-943C-4825-85BE-CF03A2092F9F.jpeg

F8FEE6C2-0B75-4965-9AAA-3F8C557FB05F.jpeg

96C5FD7A-CED3-4F2B-ADD1-ACB9D0897B60.jpeg

16FFD138-FFA8-498B-977E-C640A9D59AC0.jpeg

8BE6A236-4535-43B6-83D3-4729398787B6.jpeg

97BC6F26-83D0-4605-BABF-575FD0E4AB47.jpeg

4B95B8B6-AF22-4FC5-B09F-B004BD6BDC6E.jpeg

EFF2BBE0-F1A0-46F9-8DDF-1AC152964749.thumb.jpeg.7973d49009c5c1709c626771b4b9c1d6.jpeg

if you were a neutral observer who knew nothing about these coaches and had to rank them based solely on their resumes from 2022 and before, i don't think that rodney terry would end up any higher than 7th or 8th on your list. so while blind optimism can be fun, let's try and be a little more realistic with our expectations. i would love nothing more than for RT just just dominate at Texas, but i'm not going to blindly just make myself believe that he's going to be as good as barnes or beard was. he's got his work cut out for him. 

Edited by shadow_operative

6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Can this thread die? We have a new coach. 

and you posting in this thread helps it die how? but you know what maybe you're right. maybe i should have made this post in the appropriate thread, the one dedicated to RT. because THAT would have gone over well, right? yeah. you'd be bitching twice as hard if i did that. 

stop being the fucking thread police. this thread is here for a reason, and we both know that the RT thread is a NO NEGATIVITY AT AL thread. if you want to participate in the discussion, great. if not, then why are you even posting here?

4 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Yeah lock this thread up please...

@blacklab

if @blacklab locks this thread then i'm gonna need him to move my latest two posts to the RT thread, where we'll see 10x the bitching and moaning and fighting as we will here. is that what you want?

jesus fucking christ, I go out of my way to protect yalls little feelings by not making this post in the dedicated RT thread, and you still cry about it anyway, and ask for the thread to be locked. You guys are some fucking children.

looking at those résumés above i have RT ahead of Mark Adams and nobody else. maybe somebody else here is able to speak about this objectively. or maybe once again it will become derka vs the world because i live and post in reality while the rest of you are incapable of hearing anything remotely critical about RT. either way you know goddamn well i'm not going to stop posting my opinion on UT hoops in the appropriate threads. if you want to move all of this talk to the "RT thread of dominance and doing it for the fam" then be my guest, but that's a stupid fucking idea.

Dickson, Huggins, Drew, and Self are the only guys there that I think clearly have a better resume than RT.

How could you possibly put Tang, Boynton, Otzelberger ahead of RT based just on those resumes? Even Moser doesn’t have much.

I’m just looking at W/L there and don’t have great memory on tourney success but none of those guys resumes is really any better than RT

Edited by hobbes2702
  • Like 1

Just now, hobbes2702 said:

Dickson, Huggins, Drew, and Self are the only guys there that I think clearly have a better resume than RT.

How could you possibly put Tang, Boynton, Otzelberger ahead of RT based just on those resumes? Again I’m just looking at W/L there and don’t have great memory on tourney success but none of those guys resumes is really any better than RT

Otzleberger- he's 2/2 on successful seasons as HC at isu with two top 10 national defenses. his offenses at sdsu >>>> any offense RT has ever led.

Tang- admittedly he has no HC resume prior to 2002, so i suppose you're correct in that his resume can't be considered more impressive than RT's, but was just named national coach of the year with a roster that he built himself, so in this case what little HC experience he has is outstanding.

Boynton- has been coaching in the toughest league i America for six years and consistently churns our sims of the best defenses in CBB. since his second year at osu his average kenpom finish is 41st nationally. that's not bad at all for a guy who can't compete recruiting wise in the best league in America.

i struggle to find anything on RT's pre-december resume that's more impressive than these resumes.

Rodney Terry had a much better resume when it was just Fresno St.

Rodney Terry's resume when you include UTEP is much less shiny. real talk, how many coaches step away from a sitting job as a D1 head coach to voluntary take an assistant coaching job for the first time in literally 10 years? not very many.

...can he be fine? sure. was he successful in a difficult situation? sure. but

was he the architect of this Texas team? no. was he the driving force behind it? no. people need to stop acting like there is no downside to hiring Rodney Terry.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, NoName said:

how many coaches step away from a sitting job as a D1 head coach to voluntary take an assistant coaching job for the first time in literally 10 years? not very ma

And yet we had 2 on Beard’s staff who did just that. Mike White also lured a sitting head coach into an assistant coach role, as did Jerritt Elliot. Sark did as well (FCS)

Honestly I think some coaches would rather be an assistant at a successful, big name P5 program to transition that to a HC job than a struggling G5 program with less than half the resources. 

Edited by Js1

fwiw here is RT's best season as a full time HC:

A16C008E-ABF2-46B1-B825-662C018B2DBF.thumb.jpeg.c7071de0fbe1fcfa3b51255f6dc3a294.jpeg

05E2E034-FE26-4F9C-8DC2-133D85BD8AF8.thumb.jpeg.987ac7f6a4567b255e91deb876c0c170.jpeg

4E9E9303-7A09-4DA6-9797-E9D83B9EA2D7.thumb.jpeg.81bb108a437f11b70152da051edcced5.jpeg

this was a team of his own recruits with three seniors and junior in the starting lineup. this fresno team was 19th in the country in D-1 experience. this season is RT's crowning jewel as a HC before stepping in as the interim HC if a ready-made national title contender. 

26 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

Otzleberger- he's 2/2 on successful seasons as HC at isu with two top 10 national defenses. his offenses at sdsu >>>> any offense RT has ever led.

Tang- admittedly he has no HC resume prior to 2002, so i suppose you're correct in that his resume can't be considered more impressive than RT's, but was just named national coach of the year with a roster that he built himself, so in this case what little HC experience he has is outstanding.

Boynton- has been coaching in the toughest league i America for six years and consistently churns our sims of the best defenses in CBB. since his second year at osu his average kenpom finish is 41st nationally. that's not bad at all for a guy who can't compete recruiting wise in the best league in America.

i struggle to find anything on RT's pre-december resume that's more impressive than these resumes.

I mean otzelberger won 19 and 22. It’s not like he’s lighting the world on fire.

Tang absolutely does not have a resume that matches up with Terry. RT has a better resume clearly.

Boynton has proved he can make the tournament and that’s about it.

It’s disingenuous to act like all those guys have some supreme resume compared to RT. They absolutely do not 

Edited by hobbes2702
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, NoName said:

Rodney Terry's resume when you include UTEP is much less shiny. real talk, how many coaches step away from a sitting job as a D1 head coach to voluntary take an assistant coaching job for the first time in literally 10 years? not very many.

was he the architect of this Texas team? no. was he the driving force behind it? no. people need to stop acting like there is no downside to hiring Rodney Terry.

No one is acting like that. For some reason we continue to have these stupid debates about whether or not he deserved the job or whatever. 
He has the job. There’s no point in continuing to discuss his resume. All that matters is what he does moving forward.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I mean otzelberger won 19 and 22. It’s not like he’s lighting the world on fire.

Tang absolutely does not have a resume that matches up with Terry. RT has a better resume clearly.

Boynton has proved he can make the tournament and that’s about it.

It’s disingenuous to act like all those guys have some supreme resume compared to RT. They absolutely do not 

it's disingenuous to say that i've acted like they have supremely better resumes. i'm just pointing out that those guys have all had more success/more highly rated teams than RT has prior to his time here. it's simply about expectations. plenty of people here seem to expect that this season we just had is going to be the new norm, or close to it, because RT was at the helm for the latter half of the year. i'm just saying that while i foresee him continuing to recruit well, i don't think we should expect this type of successful season going going forward from now on. i see it best to temper expectations, and hope that he can learn and grow into the position, as opposed to just blindly believing that last season is what ti expect going forward.

4 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

No one is acting like that. For some reason we continue to have these stupid debates about whether or not he deserved the job or whatever. 
He has the job. There’s no point in continuing to discuss his resume. All that matters is what he does moving forward.

If you aren't on team "let's keep pointing out Terry's resume because eventually it will change everyone's mind," then you are on team "Terry will be the best coach Texas has ever had and was the perfect hire."  This is surly, where there is no rational middle ground.  We live in a "if you aren't with me, you are against me" world. 

I do not know what team resume expects to accomplish.  Is CDC supposed to read this thread, have a change of heart, and throw $20 million a year at Bill Self?  A few people are defending Terry's resume, but even they don't think he would have been offered the job prior to this season, and simply want to feel positive.  

Most of us understand that hiring Terry is risky.  Most of us understand that if there is such a thing as a risk-free coach, they weren't interested in the job.  Most of us understand why Terry was hired, understand that it comes with a shitload of hope, but are still at peace with it.

Derka still isn't over Barnes leaving.  I doubt he will ever get over Beard. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

it's disingenuous to say that i've acted like they have supremely better resumes. i'm just pointing out that those guys have all had more success/more highly rated teams than RT has prior to his time here. it's simply about expectations. plenty of people here seem to expect that this season we just had is going to be the new norm, or close to it, because RT was at the helm for the latter half of the year. i'm just saying that while i foresee him continuing to recruit well, i don't think we should expect this type of successful season going going forward from now on. i see it best to temper expectations, and hope that he can learn and grow into the position, as opposed to just blindly believing that last season is what ti expect going forward.

Who are these people?  Being anti-doom and gloom does not mean people are blind and have unrealistic expectations.  Hoping for something does not mean we expect it. 

52 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

Who are these people?  Being anti-doom and gloom does not mean people are blind and have unrealistic expectations.  Hoping for something does not mean we expect it. 

i was just told that we are about to crush it next season and then get nothing but top 3 recruiting classes for the foreseeable future.

7 hours ago, MoJames said:

I can't tell if Derka likes the Terry hire or not.

i do like the hire, it was definitely the right move. i just don't like the unbridled optimism that often comes with a new HC hire, especially one like this where the entire fan base loves the guy and wants him to succeed, but is split on whether or not he projects to ever have this program consistently competitive at a high level. i just don't think it helps anything to have expectations that are based more on what you want to happen rather than what someone's resume portends. 

it is possible that RT has grown and learned during his time as a HC and during his time under Beard, and it's possible that he ends up being a home run hire. if he does become that then nobody here will happier than me. and one more thing about the importance of acknowledging RT's HC record- if he does become a great HC at Texas then it'll be an even bigger success story than if Beard had stayed here and won big. he truly is not someone who ever should have expected to be here. if he grabs his opportunity and makes the most of it he'll be an absolute legend.

18 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i just don't think it helps anything to have expectations that are based more on what you want to happen rather than what someone's resume portends.

Again, where are all these expectations?  You keep using that word.  I don't think it means what you think it does. 

And please educate us, oh wise one.  How does being adamant that Terry is destined to live up to his resume help anything?  What are you hoping to accomplish other than making people as miserable as you are? 

Hey, guys.  Cool your jets.  For the sake of the program, please don't express any optimism, hope, or support for Terry.  It is not helpful at all, and is only going to make things worse. 

What the ever living fuck, man?

The silver lining is that, should Terry fail, we'll get to experience you going on and on about how you were right and that the entire board was against you, as we all expected Terry to be more successful than Saints Barnes and Beard.  So we have that going for us, which is nice. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, idigTexas said:

And please educate us, oh wise one.  How does being adamant that Terry is destined to live up to his resume help anything? 

again, just keep changing the arguments and moving the goals posts. i have never said that RT is destined to fail, and in fact i've made a whole bunch of posts that are supportive of him and hopeful for him, including my last post. at this point you're arguing just ti argue with me. if you can't stay on topic or deal in reality then i can't keep going back and forth with you. it's fine with my posts about RT irk you, we don't have to agree. but you can't just keep making up shit and expect to get anywhere. 

1 hour ago, idigTexas said:

The silver lining is that, should Terry fail, we'll get to experience you going on and on about how you were right and that the entire board was against you, as we all expected Terry to be more successful than Saints Barnes and Beard.  So we have that going for us, which is nice. 

this is literally the opposite of what happens around here. i welcome you to post any recent example of me doing this. my opinions and takes get proven right/come true all of the time around here and i don't ever go around gloating about it when they do. but when i doubt sam ehlinger and he then plays well, or i if criticize QE and then we win a game, then suddenly i've got 50 people rabidly coming after me. again, the literal opposite of what you so confidently claim to be reality. that's how it is around here. you can continue to act like it's not the case, but it is.

edited to add- if you seriously think i would ever/could ever gloat about Rodney Terry failing at Texas then you know absolutely nothing about me, which i suppose is becoming more and more evident the more you post.

10 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

again, just keep changing the arguments and moving the goals posts. i have never said that RT is destined to fail, and in fact i've made a whole bunch of posts that are supportive of him and hopeful for him, including my last post. at this point you're arguing just ti argue with me. if you can't stay on topic or deal in reality then i can't keep going back and forth with you. it's fine with my posts about RT irk you, we don't have to agree. but you can't just keep making up shit and expect to get anywhere. 

I'm sure it feels like I'm going out of my way to be argumentative with you, but the truth is, you are arguing with no one.  As I am the only one who lacks enough self-control to not respond, you think it's me.  You continue to post rebuttals to points that no one is making.  You've never explained why you feel it is important to keep harping on Terry's record.  Find me one person, just one, who would have offered Terry the head coaching position prior to him taking over for Beard.  Should you actually find someone, please feel free to argue with them to your heart's content.  

In short, you like to put words in other people's mouths.  If you are going to do that, I'm going to continue calling you on it.  I'm not going to pretend to understand the motivation.  We are all wired how we are wired. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

this is literally the opposite of what happens around here. i welcome you to post any recent example of me doing this. my opinions and takes get proven right/come true all of the time around here and i don't ever go around gloating about it when they do. but when i doubt sam ehlinger and he then plays well, or i if criticize QE and then we win a game, then suddenly i've got 50 people rabidly coming after me. again, the literal opposite of what you so confidently claim to be reality. that's how it is around here. you can continue to act like it's not the case, but it is.

edited to add- if you seriously think i would ever/could ever gloat about Rodney Terry failing at Texas then you know absolutely nothing about me, which i suppose is becoming more and more evident the more you post.

You won't agree that this makes my argument, which is fine.  I agree that it isn't the best example, but it reads to me like you spent a lot of time dredging up evidence of how wrong some people were.  Maybe it's more of a "look at how stupid everyone else is" than a "look how right I was thing" if you want to split hairs, which I'm sure you do.  Just consider it me moving the goalposts again.  I'm not going to spend time digging up other examples, as it serves no purpose.  Much like Terry's coaching record, your posting history speaks for itself.  I'm done.  Take the last word if you must.

Edited by idigTexas
OU sucks

23 hours ago, NoName said:

There's a downside to every hire. The last one was a domestic abuser.