UT's next basketball coach - discussion/debate

alphahorn

6 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Yes, Oats is my clear #1. He also fits a CDC profile for a hire. 

I also think he’s very attainable compare to Muss. Doesn’t make much, Alabama doesn’t seem like they would put up a fight to keep him because it’s basketball, Alabama is having trouble raising money for a new arena (because it’s just basketball), and it’s starting to get around that their NIL game for basketball is terribad.

I think Arkansas would put up a fight to keep Muss. 

Lloyd seems a little more attainable than Muss. 

after that, it’s a crapshoot. 

What a sad state of affairs. I guess they could get lucky and strike lightning in a bottle twice but they don't have a track record of it. But if that's the best they can do then roll the dice and see what happens. 

The reason I'm so damn pissed about this is because the title in this sport is the last remaining one I need to see before I go. I've lived through 3 Cowboys Super Bowls. 5 Spurs Championships. 1 Dallas Stars Championship. And was on campus for the '05 football title. This is the last team in the last sport I give any sort of a fuck about that I haven't seen win a title and I want it more than any other sport.  

This is much bigger than Beard. This is a clear signal that the university doesn't care to go all in to win a title in the one money sport they never have won. The stars were aligning with the right coach and shift in HS talent base and now it feels like I'll never see it, not because it can't be done, but because they don't want to pay the price to do it. Just sucks

6 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Calipari's unstable ass is the only chance this program has of not shitting the bed now. Oats? Maybe, but can he handle the Texas bullshit that he definitely doesn't have to deal with at Bama? 

A big name like Calipari with proven NBA success and remotivated by a burning desire to say "fuck you" to Kentucky fans is about the best chance we have to do what Beard was on the cusp of doing. But hiring someone as sleezy and corrupt as Calipari isn't any better than keeping Beard. 

Just such a stupid fucking move to fire Beard for 1 domestic violence incident when we're in a cut throat industry full of sharks looking to take any advantage, no matter how crooked, to get past us. These aren't student athletes anymore, they're fucking mercenaries getting paid to do just enough school to remain eligible while playing basketball/football. That fucker Stetson Bennett has been in college 7 years and doesn't even have a degree. This is a new era, a new world of kill or be killed ruthlessness and we don't care enough about winning in this sport to have the stomach for the fight. It's fucking embarrassing.

Regardless of the rest of it, the idea that there's only one single coach who can be successful at a school like Texas is silly.

True, there are way more out there that could fail than to succeed, but Calipari isn't the only one. I'd argue he isn't even one of them, but that's only my opinion. 

Whether a program is willing to do what it takes to succeed goes beyond whether they're willing to keep on a coach arrested for a felony domestic violence charge. I'd say it starts with admissions. Can talented players get into a school with minimum NCAA requirements? Check. Does Texas bend over backwards to accommodate transfers? Check. Used to not be the case a long time ago, but it's changed. Now about the only classes they won't accept from transfers are criminology courses. Just no equivalent at UT. Allegedly that was the issue with Bryson Williams being able to transfer in last year. A bummer, but it happens. Does Texas do whatever it can to support the players academically, including a lot of babysitting, mandatory study time with one on one tutoring, enrolling players in student athlete friendly course, to make sure they pass classes and stay eligible? Check. 

Does Texas pay outlandish amounts of money for recruiting visits, both for official and unofficial visits in an effort to get kids on campus as much as possible, involving third parties whenever necessary? Check. AAU coaches, trainers, hanger ons, they all get paid one way or another.  

Does Texas get involved in free agency, both out of high school and with transfers? Check and check. 

Does Texas pay a top 5 salary to their head coach in all of college basketball? Check. Does Texas pay an outrageous amount of money for a large support staff? Check.

Does Texas have state of the art facilities, particularly when it comes to practice facilities and student athlete locker rooms? Check. 

These are the indices that indicate whether a program is willing to compete in the big time or not. Texas long ago gave up on the ideal of the true student athlete and entered the necessary gray area to win at a high level. They don't need Calipari. They do need someone in the top 10 in all of college basketball, and those guys are not easy to find. We had one, and he got arrested. Shit happens. Well, not that often, really. But it did happen. Now we need to find another one. I sure hope we do. But I don't even think Calipari is a top 10 guy right now. Let him go implode somewhere else, please.  

• Hook 'Em 7

3 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

What a sad state of affairs. I guess they could get lucky and strike lightning in a bottle twice but they don't have a track record of it. But if that's the best they can do then roll the dice and see what happens. 

The reason I'm so damn pissed about this is because the title in this sport is the last remaining one I need to see before I go. I've lived through 3 Cowboys Super Bowls. 5 Spurs Championships. 1 Dallas Stars Championship. And was on campus for the '05 football title. This is the last team in the last sport I give any sort of a fuck about that I haven't seen win a title and I want it more than any other sport.  

This is much bigger than Beard. This is a clear signal that the university doesn't care to go all in to win a title in the one money sport they never have won. The stars were aligning with the right coach and shift in HS talent base and now it feels like I'll never see it, not because it can't be done, but because they don't want to pay the price to do it. Just sucks

Dude shut the fuck up. Jesus Christ. This has nothing to do with caring or not caring about winning. 
What “just sucks” is your continued posting with this stupid ass “they don’t want to win” bullshit.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Or you could be wrong and you're measuring the wrong things. 

When you say "they don't have a track record of it" are you referring to the Texas athletic department in general? Or CDC specifically? CDC hasn't had the opportunity to strike lightning in a bottle twice really, because the people he inherited that are doing well, are still there, and the people who weren't doing well are now replaced by people who are, and he hasn't had to replace them. 

But if you want an example of getting hit by lightning multiple times in a row, you could always look at baseball. Gustafson, to Garrido, to Pierce. That's a pretty good trio, there. It hasn't happened in other sports really. Not consecutively like that. That's pretty rare in any case. But it has happened.

7 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Or you could be wrong and you're measuring the wrong things. 

When you say "they don't have a track record of it" are you referring to the Texas athletic department in general? Or CDC specifically? CDC hasn't had the opportunity to strike lightning in a bottle twice really, because the people he inherited that are doing well, are still there, and the people who weren't doing well are now replaced by people who are, and he hasn't had to replace them. 

But if you want an example of getting hit by lightning multiple times in a row, you could always look at baseball. Gustafson, to Garrido, to Pierce. That's a pretty good trio, there. It hasn't happened in other sports really. Not consecutively like that. That's pretty rare in any case. But it has happened.

We’ve literally never made a bad hire in baseball in the history of the program. It’s hard to hire great coaches. Our baseball program is one of the rare exceptions in all of sports. It’s right there with Ohio St. football in terms of consistently hiring well.

Yhe idea that CDC isn’t concerned about winning at the highest level is insane. His handling of Herman and Shaka is a pretty clear indication of his aspirations 

Edited by hobbes2702

19 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Arnold Schwarzenegger Shut Up GIF

• Hook 'Em 4

Somehow Hermanator has reached the conclusion "Texas isn't all in" because they fired a coach who reportedly beat his fiance. 

Just ignore the new basketball arena, the money they're dishing out in NIL for transfers, and the big contract they're likely going to give the next coach. What a fucking moron. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 3

Terry continues to build a case for why he should be the coach next season. If he guides Texas to it's first Sweet 16 appearance in nearly two decades then he should be the #1 candidate. If Texas reaches the Elite 8 the job should be outright his. The team isn't winning pretty, but they continue to win and sit 4-1 in the upper echelon of the conference with a chance to gain a little cushion against ISU on Tuesday. Given the circumstances would any other coach be doing any better in this scenario? Terry was inserted into a very adversarial situation and continues to win, this is the most enjoyable basketball season in quite some time.

I agree that Terry is being successful right now, but he inherited a top tier team that had all offense, defense, rotation, leadership, etc in place. Basically like Barry Switzer taking over the Cowboys and winning a super bowl his first year. Next year we lose tons, and it will all need to be rebuilt. Plus recruiting needs to even raise up a notch to continue at the current level. I just don't think Terry is the right fit for all that. I think he's great, and will always appreciate him stepping in, in a very difficult situation, but we need a better longterm coach. 

• Hook 'Em 8

11 minutes ago, Chad said:

Terry continues to build a case for why he should be the coach next season. If he guides Texas to it's first Sweet 16 appearance in nearly two decades then he should be the #1 candidate. If Texas reaches the Elite 8 the job should be outright his. The team isn't winning pretty, but they continue to win and sit 4-1 in the upper echelon of the conference with a chance to gain a little cushion against ISU on Tuesday. Given the circumstances would any other coach be doing any better in this scenario? Terry was inserted into a very adversarial situation and continues to win, this is the most enjoyable basketball season in quite some time.

You don't make a coaching hire based on some success under extraordinary circumstances. Terry is doing a good job so far in keeping the team together, but he is doing it with a very good experienced roster put together by Beard. The team, however, is playing disorganized and without a identity. I also think building a roster is more than 50% of the job and we don't have any data point to indicate if Terry is good at it. When making a coaching hire, you need to look at the entire body of work while giving more weight to the recent history. Just look at what happened to Tech with Adams. They all thought he was better than Beard because he won last year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Chad said:

With this roster, yes.

Context—what does it mean bro?

43 minutes ago, Chad said:

I think we can do way better than Terry but good luck firing him if he makes the sweet 16

4 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I think we can do way better than Terry but good luck firing him if he makes the sweet 16

Who cares. CDC didn’t hire Terry to run the program. He gets to pick his new guy now that Beard’s personal life imploded and lost him the job. CDC can’t let a S16 run, with this experienced veteran roster that’s going to be gutted next year, force him to keep Terry.  Any jackass could get this roster to the Sweet 16, except maybe Shaka.  

You thank him for his leadership and presence and keeping the ship steady and getting Texas to the Sweet 16, but he’s not “the guy.” 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Who cares. CDC didn’t hire Terry to run the program. He gets to pick his new guy now that Beard’s personal life imploded and lost him the job. CDC can’t let a S16 run, with this experienced veteran roster that’s going to be gutted next year, force him to keep Terry.  Any jackass could get this roster to the Sweet 16, except maybe Shaka.  

You thank him for his leadership and presence and keeping the ship steady and getting Texas to the Sweet 16, but he’s not “the guy.” 

Terry will get a good job somewhere other than if he can take this team to sweet 16. It's a win/win.

On 1/14/2023 at 12:17 PM, HookEm said:

It is really going to suck when Aggy hires Beard and they win a title, while beating us continually in the SEC.

But I would take it over celebrating the retention of a domestic abuser.  

That's one way to punish his fiance...make her live in College Station.

• Haha 1

If Terry gives us a solid tourney run (Sweet 16 all the way up to potential Final Four), I’m fine giving him another year. Or give him a multi year deal, but with a very low buyout. But under no circumstances would I sign him to a long term deal without multiple good years.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Hermanator said:

1 hour ago, Chad said:

i can't decide which of these posts is worse.

Edited by BigOrange1
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 6

The team under Beard at times looked very formidable, blowing out Gonzaga, etc. Under Terry, they are inconsistent and not blowing out anyone. He’s not the guy. 

And on Beard, if you believe the administration is competent, that means they found in their investigation that Beard wasn’t completely innocent. If he was simply the victim of an attack and defended himself, and nothing more, than the University would not have cut him loose. The facts open to the public certainly indicate he’s not completely innocent. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Hermanator said:

We get it dude.  In your mind the University is nothing more than a vehicle for sports and nothing else matters.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Players and media will rally for Rodney.  We will see.  

25 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

We get it dude.  In your mind the University is nothing more than a vehicle for sports and nothing else matters.

That's completely wrong. I have a degree from there so things happening with the actual university matter. 

The difference is I see the money sports for what they are. These guys, for the most part, aren't students. They're paid to come in and produce to win. That's their purpose on campus and very little attention is given to to their education other than to stay eligible. There are of course a very few exceptions but, especially now with NIL payments and thousands of people entering the portal when they dont play, it's obvious they're there to play ball. 

You still have the illusion of the student athlete and nothing could be further from the truth. I'd be all for removing the illusion completely and just having them come in to do nothing but play ball and get paid for it, and they would have the option to have an educational scholarship once they finish playing. If they choose to take that scholarship then they would be treated like every other student with the same GPA restrictions for maintaining the scholarship. 

That way the very few who actually do want to get an education can still do so on scholarship if they cut the mustard like everybody else has to do. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Terry has zero chance. Discussion of Terry is initiated by idiots. Someone said Steve Fisher above as a comp. Lol. Lemme know when Terry wins a natty. This roster isn’t good enough to win a natty without a great coach getting lucky, and Terry let KSU score 116 points in Austin. He’s not getting a short-term deal, either. For fuck’s sake, think before you post. 

31 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

That's completely wrong. I have a degree from there so things happening with the actual university matter. 

The difference is I see the money sports for what they are. These guys, for the most part, aren't students. They're paid to come in and produce to win. That's their purpose on campus and very little attention is given to to their education other than to stay eligible. There are of course a very few exceptions but, especially now with NIL payments and thousands of people entering the portal when they dont play, it's obvious they're there to play ball. 

You still have the illusion of the student athlete and nothing could be further from the truth. I'd be all for removing the illusion completely and just having them come in to do nothing but play ball and get paid for it, and they would have the option to have an educational scholarship once they finish playing. If they choose to take that scholarship then they would be treated like every other student with the same GPA restrictions for maintaining the scholarship. 

That way the very few who actually do want to get an education can still do so on scholarship if they cut the mustard like everybody else has to do. 

While I agree that the myth of the student athlete is a joke and has been for years, what in the fuck does that have to do with Coach Beard getting arrested for DV? I have no idea what your major was, but I'm guessing its a field that doesnt require any logic whatsoever. 

59 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Terry has zero chance. Discussion of Terry is initiated by idiots. Someone said Steve Fisher above as a comp. Lol. Lemme know when Terry wins a natty. This roster isn’t good enough to win a natty without a great coach getting lucky, and Terry let KSU score 116 points in Austin. He’s not getting a short-term deal, either. For fuck’s sake, think before you post. 

Do you really think the only way Terry keeps his job is if we win a title?  What if we win the Big 12, something we have only done 3 times? What if we make it to an Elite 8, something we have only done 4 times in the last 50 years? What if we make a Final Four?

This roster is definitely talented enough to do any of the above. We are winning games with our best player playing like shit. If they put it together they are capable of having the best year in school history. And if Terry pulls it off, it will be under extremely difficult circumstances. 

As I have said, I think we can do better. But saying he has zero chance is stupid.

1 hour ago, Porterhouse said:

Terry has zero chance. Discussion of Terry is initiated by idiots. Someone said Steve Fisher above as a comp. Lol. Lemme know when Terry wins a natty. 

I'm not suggesting Rodney Terry is the same level as Steve Fisher, but are you under the impression that Steve Fisher won a national title before being promoted to head coach of Michigan?  It was a similar situation -- Michigan fired Bill Frieder at the end of the regular season and Fisher took over as interim coach (and won the NCAA tournament).

And just so nobody thinks otherwise, there is no way in hell I would support Rodney Terry for the permanent Texas job.

58 minutes ago, Blotto said:

While I agree that the myth of the student athlete is a joke and has been for years, what in the fuck does that have to do with Coach Beard getting arrested for DV? I have no idea what your major was, but I'm guessing its a field that doesnt require any logic whatsoever. 

It's obvious what it has to do with firing Beard. Since these aren't student athletes anymore and this is a make money sport with paid players then the whole "we had to fire Beard because it reflects poorly on the university" is bullshit. It doesn't reflect at all because what the football and basketball teams do and what the University research and educational side does are mutually exclusive. It has been heading this way for a long time but now it's officially there. The job of the football and men's basketball programs are to win and bring money and recognition to the University. That's it. You don't do that by sending away the best coach in the country for a 1 time off the court incident. 

We can disagree and people can hold on to the old timey illusion that these are student athletes if they want but don't say people who see it for what it is don't care about their university. That's patently false

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

It's obvious what it has to do with firing Beard. Since these aren't student athletes anymore and this is a make money sport with paid players then the whole "we had to fire Beard because it reflects poorly on the university" is bullshit. It doesn't reflect at all because what the football and basketball teams do and what the University research and educational side does are mutually exclusive. It has been heading this way for a long time but now it's officially there. The job of the football and men's basketball programs are to win and bring money and recognition to the University. That's it. You don't do that by sending away the best coach in the country for a 1 time off the court incident. 

We can disagree and people can hold on to the old timey illusion that these are student athletes if they want but don't say people who see it for what it is don't care about their university. That's patently false

The university chose not to employ a coach in a high profile position that was accused of domestic violence against his fiance. After their investigation, maybe they weren't comfortable with the chances that he could do it again in 6 months. I still struggle to understand what the fuck that has to do with your explosive reveal that our football and basketball players aren't likely to develop into Rhodes scholars.  

2 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

You know he will be given the job w an elite 8 appearance.  S16 it’s a coin toss.  You guys are cursed.  

4 hours ago, Chad said:

No.

3 hours ago, HookEm said:

If Terry gives us a solid tourney run (Sweet 16 all the way up to potential Final Four), I’m fine giving him another year. Or give him a multi year deal, but with a very low buyout. But under no circumstances would I sign him to a long term deal without multiple good years.

Also no 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Chad said:

No, Terry can finish out the season and possibly land on the next staff.  

He's a good guy doing an OK job in a shitty situation. You can't look at the on court performance and be happy with it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

No, Terry can finish out the season and possibly land on the next staff.  

He's a good guy doing an OK job in a shitty situation. You can't look at the on court performance and be happy with it.

Yeah we haven’t seen Terry against ISU or KU. We saw this team against KSU and that was ugly 

1 hour ago, HookEm said:

Do you really think the only way Terry keeps his job is if we win a title?  

Terry never had the permanent HC job at Texas, so it's not a question of him keeping the job. He is given a temporary assignment that doesn't come with the promise of landing the permanent gig.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Hermanator said:

What the ever loving nonsense are you bleating about now? Every single NBA team would fire Beard after his pinstripe appearance. As would every NFL, MLB, NHL, and MLS team. Your take is irrelevant nonsense and you should be ashamed for making more than a single post in furthering your idiocy. I now must question the value of a UT degree if you managed to get one.  Time to put away childish things.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

The team under Beard at times looked very formidable, blowing out Gonzaga, etc. Under Terry, they are inconsistent and not blowing out anyone. He’s not the guy. 

And on Beard, if you believe the administration is competent, that means they found in their investigation that Beard wasn’t completely innocent. If he was simply the victim of an attack and defended himself, and nothing more, than the University would not have cut him loose. The facts open to the public certainly indicate he’s not completely innocent. 

I think we can say Randi initiated the confrontation the issue is how much force did Chris use in his defense and why he is still with this woman?  

• Like 1

Fucking exactly. Been meaning to make a similar post. Mickey Joseph was erased from existence. After doing an incredible job leading the Celtics to the finals, Ime Udoka caught a year suspension for an office romance. 

The notion that head coaches aren't held to equally high standards of conduct elsewhere, and that Texas is soft or "doesn't have the stomach"  because they fired a coach who strangled his partner and was livestreamed in a courtroom wearing handcuffs and a Hamburglar costume, is woefully out of touch with reality. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm not suggesting Rodney Terry is the same level as Steve Fisher, but are you under the impression that Steve Fisher won a national title before being promoted to head coach of Michigan?  It was a similar situation -- Michigan fired Bill Frieder at the end of the regular season and Fisher took over as interim coach (and won the NCAA tournament).

And just so nobody thinks otherwise, there is no way in hell I would support Rodney Terry for the permanent Texas job.

No. I know exactly what happened in ‘89. I said if Terry wins a title, keep him, but that won’t happen because Terry isn’t Fisher and Texas has no Glen Rice, Rumeal Robinson, or 6 NBA players on this roster.  

Fisher was a highly thought of, unknown 43-yo assistant with no college HC experience at that start of that tournament (which is all he coached). Terry is a 54-yo who’s coached 10 seasons of .500 ball at one largish midmajor and one small one, making exactly 1 tourney. 

Edited by Porterhouse

51 minutes ago, Pancho said:

If Texas fired Sark after the Alabama game and K or Flood took over and got us to the Sugar Bowl, would fans say Flood or K deserved the HC job or Texas needs to do a full coaching search to hire the best corch available?

Exactly.

That’s football not basketball.  But I would say cdc would consider keeping flood if he got us to the sugar 

• Like 1