UT's next basketball coach - discussion/debate

alphahorn

I wasn't literally ranking those programs ahead of Texas.  I was just throwing out big names off the top of my head.  Lateral, to slightly more highly coveted.  Yes, USC isn't great at hardball right now.  But you know what I meant, big, big names in their respective sports.  We don't place a lot of coaches in those spots when they leave here.  To your point, we could all live with that particularly the pros (NFL/MLB/NBA).  I just meant we lose folks to USF, Marquette, at. al.  Those are names still well below Michigan or USC in a bad year in their sports. Next time, I'll check more recent RPI's ;) 

1 minute ago, YGIFS said:

I wasn't literally ranking those programs ahead of Texas.  I was just throwing out big names off the top of my head.  Lateral, to slightly more highly coveted.  Yes, USC isn't great at hardball right now.  But you know what I meant, big, big names in their respective sports.  We don't place a lot of coaches in those spots when they leave here.  To your point, we could all live with that particularly the pros (NFL/MLB/NBA).  I just meant we lose folks to USF, Marquette, at. al.  Those are names still well below Michigan or USC in a bad year in their sports. Next time, I'll check more recent RPI's ;) 

Lost folks to Marquette and usf?  What are you talking about?

also. I think Troy tukowitzki who has no hc experience turned USC down 

4 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

That was a weird deal.  It's a private school, so their hiring requirements are more shrouded in mystery than the average public school like Texas, but I recall people thought his lack of a degree made him an unlikely hire.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Lost folks to Marquette and usf?  What are you talking about?

Well, I shouldn't say we've been missing them Bob.  Yes, lost folks was wrong words as per usual with me.  When we lost money buying out shitty coaches.  Anyway, when people leave texas.  We haven't lost them.  But all the mid-level programs they come from and end-up at after us suggests a longer-term issue with our approach to hiring.  We do get it right sometimes though, and CDC is on a much better tack than the last few years of DeLoss, Patterson, and even Mike.  I just worry we're gonna swing and miss on some proper hires for hoops and end up with another 3-year flyer from some less-than-ideal level of program.  

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I had no trouble understanding what you were saying.  

10 minutes ago, ztejas said:

These threads are turning into such a beating I'm warming to the idea of hiring Terry before the season is over. 

I think Terry is probably out, unless we make the final four?  Just my guess

11 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Well, I shouldn't say we've been missing them Bob.  Yes, lost folks was wrong words as per usual with me.  When we lost money buying out shitty coaches.  Anyway, when people leave texas.  We haven't lost them.  But all the mid-level programs they come from and end-up at after us suggests a longer-term issue with our approach to hiring.  We do get it right sometimes though, and CDC is on a much better tack than the last few years of DeLoss, Patterson, and even Mike.  I just worry we're gonna swing and miss on some proper hires for hoops and end up with another 3-year flyer from some less-than-ideal level of program.  

But they didn't leave.  Both got fired?   I think we've had some bad luck in hires for sure and we should be better across the board in the big 3 sports.  But, imo, and a lot of others, football is a top 5 job, baseball a top 3, and basketball a top 10 job.  Now obviously you don't leave a great situation at say LSU baseball for Texas baseball or Michigan basketball for Texas basketball.  Other factors come into play when making a life changing decisions.  But, if there are no family or regional ties, etc, I think all three of our big 3 sports jobs are "stay till I get fired or retire" jobs.

11 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

That was a weird deal.  It's a private school, so their hiring requirements are more shrouded in mystery than the average public school like Texas, but I recall people thought his lack of a degree made him an unlikely hire.

Yea, maybe so.  They ended up with a pretty underwhelming hire imo.

On 3/4/2023 at 9:55 PM, HookEm said:

I know the optics would be questionable, but Ime Udoka is still out of a job. I imagine he would turn it down and wait for an NBA job that is sure to come.  He is better than anyone else mentioned on this thread.

Texas has a million percent higher chance of Jay Wright than Udoka. the issues exist and his last experience with NCAA BB was in 2000 when he played at Portland State.

Coaching career is exclusively NBA based and his issue is women based (non consensual relationship with a staff member)

4 hours ago, YGIFS said:

I don't get where this 'Texas only hires coaches who've had success at P5 programs" comes from?  

Coach Barnes did, wish he was still here.  Shaka hadn't had any P5 success.  Beard had a little but it was still more an upside/flyer hire than many remember.  They were a bubble team at best in 2020 to make the Big Dance.  Before that, he did make the Elite 8 twice (including title game), but also failed to make it once and got knocked out in game 2 another season.  Yes, that's a good track record, but it wasn't the national splash hire we like to think it was.  We all knew around that he had massive upside being a Longhorn, the new Moody, great connections with former players and high school coaches, etc.  But like Shaka, he was coming here on the coattails of two deep tourney runs, and that was it on paper.  That he did it at Tech in arguably the best hoops league in the country is the only reason much of the rest of the nation even noticed the hire.  Our next hire is going to be something similar to a Shaka/Beard level of hire.  We're in a bind because we need a coach with a longer track record of success to quell anxiety among our recruits, donors, and the people on the hook for Moody.  And that level of coach isn't really available this year.  

In baseball, Coach Pierce was a great hire IMO as a Texas baseball guy.  But he had a few regional appearances at Sam Houston State and Tulane.  Hardly what I'd call sustained, major-conference success.   Strong was completely out his depths in the Big XII coming from Louisville.  Herman was all hat, no cattle except the Sugar Bowl win.  Turns out Houston isn't the same as the Big XII in football.  Sark is still a question mark, I'm not nearly as bullish on him as most of y'all.  He was a whopping 5 games over .500 in 5 seasons with Washington with 1 bowl win and 0 Top 25 finishes.  Small sample sets at USC and Texas are still question marks to me.  But again, that was not a major coach from a major program with major success making a lateral move to Texas.  

Only real recent major program 'splash' hire was Vic Schaefer.  Major P5 program in Mississippi State.  6 straight years in tourney with 2 championship game appearances, 1 Elite 8's, and a Sweet 16.  And two conference championships.  Here at Texas, that high level continues with 2 Elite 8's (and a likely 2 seed this year) and a shiny, new conference championship.  Something we hadn't had here in almost 20 years.  

tl;dr We don't regularly make the big name, big program splash hires around here we think we do.  At least not in the big 4 sports.  

I'm sincerely glad you're on this board. You're colorful. You're authentic. I thoroughly enjoy reading your posts, regardless of subject. You often make me smile.

But this is a terrible, terrible take. Other people have already pointed out CDC's track record, so I won't go into it. The only thing that's unbelievable to me is trying to argue Beard wasn't a splash hire. Not only did he take Texas Tech to the Elite Eight and then to the championship game - which they lost in overtime, btw. He also took Arkansas-Little Rock to a 30+ win season and the Sweet Sixteen in his only season there. He'd won everywhere he'd been. He'll certainly win at his next job if he doesn't implode. 

It doesn't mean the next basketball hire is a home run. We'll have to see how it goes. But Texas hasn't won the last two director's cups because CDC has been piss poor at hiring coaches. He's been a wizard. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, closetohumping said:

I think Terry is probably out, unless we make the final four?  Just my guess

But they didn't leave.  Both got fired?   I think we've had some bad luck in hires for sure and we should be better across the board in the big 3 sports.  But, imo, and a lot of others, football is a top 5 job, baseball a top 3, and basketball a top 10 job.  Now obviously you don't leave a great situation at say LSU baseball for Texas baseball or Michigan basketball for Texas basketball.  Other factors come into play when making a life changing decisions.  But, if there are no family or regional ties, etc, I think all three of our big 3 sports jobs are "stay till I get fired or retire" jobs.

Yea, maybe so.  They ended up with a pretty underwhelming hire imo.

All the sports jobs are stay till I get fired or retire jobs. 

I say this a lot, but in my lifetime we lost Richard Quick to Stanford, who went on to win a ton of national championships and gold medals as the Olympics coach, but he was born in Austin, died in Austin. He had a nasty divorce, which is a big part of what spurred his exit. 

Then Mick Haley, who wanted a higher salary and the opportunity to coach the national team. Texas passed on that. He went on to win a couple of national championships at USC, and also coached the national team in the Olympics.

But that's about it. Over the course of almost 60 years.

Rick Barnes was told fire your assistants or we'll fire you. And he chose to fall on his sword instead of firing his assistants. Shaka Smart saved Texas a buttload of money and negative publicity and took the job in his home town instead of waiting to get canned.

As far as the whole LSU for Texas or Michigan for Texas, could be. But no one is leaving Texas for those jobs, either. 

People just don't leave UT. Heck, a lot of coaches don't leave Austin. Mick Haley still makes his home here. 

People talk about how bad UT's hires have been, but it's really only been in football, then Shaka and Wetlich in basketball, and getting from Conradt to Schaefer. And Goestenkors was actually a really good hire. Just didn't work out. Then the long mediocrity in softball which has finally been fixed. Hopefully soccer will be fixed someday, too. Shoot, baseball going from Gustafson to Garrido to Pierce is better than anyone else in the country over that term by far. I don't know why that sport is even being included. 

I know some of the other non revenue sports have arguably underperformed at times. But they're in great shape now, across the board.

• Hook 'Em 3

Never said he did a piss poor job.  I said we have systemic, institutional issues as an athletic dept going back many ADs.  Also said 3 or 4 times that CDc appears to be righting that mentality from years/decades past.  

he’s made other great hires in other sportS but don’t Give CDC All the credit for Directors cups.  He’s going to do more great things here.  But don’t forget who does most of the heavy lifting on our sears trophies.  Del Conte gives them resources to hire staff and recruit great athletes.  But most of our points come from Field, Reese, Joffe, Elliott, Capitani, O’Neill, and Murphy.  All great, pre-CDC hires who took advantage of the resources and assets afforded them by an athletic department that somehow made that much money will relatively average to above average success For the last 15 years.  

but he’s gotta clear out decades Of shitty thinking.  I’m optimistic on him for the fifth time this thread.  

17 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Never said he did a piss poor job.  I said we have systemic, institutional issues as an athletic dept going back many ADs.  Also said 3 or 4 times that CDc appears to be righting that mentality from years/decades past.  

he’s made other great hires in other sportS but don’t Give CDC All the credit for Directors cups.  He’s going to do more great things here.  But don’t forget who does most of the heavy lifting on our sears trophies.  Del Conte gives them resources to hire staff and recruit great athletes.  But most of our points come from Field, Reese, Joffe, Elliott, Capitani, O’Neill, and Murphy.  All great, pre-CDC hires who took advantage of the resources and assets afforded them by an athletic department that somehow made that much money will relatively average to above average success For the last 15 years.  

but he’s gotta clear out decades Of shitty thinking.  I’m optimistic on him for the fifth time this thread.  

Right, but imo, CDC has been nails on a lot of hires, except for Sark.  And CDC apparently wanted Dykes.

• Rage+1 1

27 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Well, to be honest the biggest credit for the Directors Cups goes to changing the rules that only the top 20 sports count. Stanford would still be winning them every year without that. And they're not Sears trophies any more. That went the way of their catalog. Learfield, the giant sports marketing conglomerate, is now the sponsor. 

So let's talk about systemic issues in the athletic department.

First of all, I'm assuming we can skip over Dana X. Bible and Darrell Royal. I just want to mention Royal briefly, because he was an amazing athletic director in terms of finding people and convincing them to come to Texas. Just an incredibly charismatic person. People of all walks of life were completely charmed by the man. Including other coaches.

But during those times each sport was responsible for their own fundraising, and capital improvements were basically a hodgepodge with a severely underfunded program. Usually if something was needed the school went to the state legislature to pay for it.

Deloss Dodds was the first professional athletic director hired by Texas in the fall of 1981. He was previously at Kansas State for 5 years. Very early on he looked at the financial jigsaw puzzle that was Longhorn athletics and chose to solve it by putting all fundraising under one umbrella, the Longhorn Foundation. I'm not trying to insult your intelligence. I just want to make sure everyone is on the same page here.

While it seems obvious in hindsight, and likely would have been done by someone eventually, it was a first for Texas, and it absolutely electrified fundraising. Dodds and his staff did a much better job of tying ticket priorities to donations. 

As annual revenue exploded, that became the key metric to measure Dodds' success. This is important. He wasn't ever involved really in the firing or hiring of the football coaches. That gave him cover when things went wrong. And boy did they. At the same time, what gets measured gets done, and what was measured by everyone who meant anything at UT was that the athletic department kept making more money every year. So guess what the department as a whole was measured by? The pressure intensified to bring in more revenue than the last year, like a blue chip answering to institutional investors. So anything that brought in incremental amounts was fair game for the most part, outside of naming a stadium or arena Papa John's or something like that. But signage? Commercials during games? Sponsored events during games? All of it was fair game no matter what kind of impact it had on the game itself. 

What really kicked things into overdrive was the settling of the Title IX lawsuit combined with the construction of the East Side of the stadium. The brand new suites along with the club level were gold mines. The athletic department sold tickets at the football games like professional teams do, approaching various business entities offering the game day as an event setting to conduct business and give tickets to employees, just like NBA/NFL/MLB teams had successfully done. I won't get into how mediocre the fan experience was in those areas. Suffice to say there was a significant lack of die hards, that's for sure.

The athletic department was in full bloat mode. Hawaii was put on the schedule to give AD employees and their families a free trip. Every bowl game was a boondoggle. No one really questioned things effectively because the money just kept rolling in.

Dodds steps down in the fall of 2013, successfully negotiating the formation of the Longhorn Network, but completely fubaring the realignment, and locking Texas into a grants of right deal with the Big 12.

Patterson was hired with the instructions to get rid of the athletic department bloat, and run things more like a business. In doing so he managed to piss off EVERYONE. He was fired after less than two years on the job.

Mike Perrin then became the interim director. He was akin to a substitute teacher who everyone liked, but we all knew he was short term just trying to be a good guy and help where he could. 

Which then brought us to CDC in 2017. 

So when we talk about institutional issues as an athletic department, we're really talking about Deloss Dodds making fundraising the chief priority of the AD office. Like I used to say all the time, they need the football team to win some games so they can go out and raise more money. There was always an amazing lack of emphasis on winning, and a much bigger emphasis on how to eke out a few more dollars with more corporate sponsorships, moving students to worse seating, moving the band away, moving the visitor seats, selling basketball season tickets to people who will never show up for games, on and on it went. 

Patterson was an overcorrection and a bad hire, but he wasn't around long enough to be called a problem. Perrin was always a temp. So it's really Dodds and CDC at this point. And while CDC is far from perfect - personally I'd prefer he was a bit more ruthless and aggressive in certain areas, but you get that and you go back to Patterson. CDC is a collaborator and kumbaya guy in many ways. But what I do know is that UT isn't whoring itself out QUITE as much as it did under Dodds, and for that I'm thankful. We don't have an underlying priority of hiring women for every woman's sport. It just feels like winning is the biggest priority, and that hasn't been true since Darrell Royal, which had its own issues in terms of funding.

And yet he still increases the revenue year to year. If we'd ever put together a consistent winning football program under his watch he'll be printing money. 

• Hook 'Em 4

39 minutes ago, ztejas said:

They made the ro32. 

You're gonna tell me the Germans didn't bomb Pearl Harbor, aren't you.

BTW, the game they won in the tournament came against Matt Painter's Purdue squad. The Purdue fans were shaking in their boots to face another Chris Beard team in the tournament last year (they also lost to Texas Tech with Beard as coach). Didn't work out the same way, but it was funny. 

Via On3

Texas Head Coaching search intel

John Calipari‘s contract buyout at Kentucky has been reported anywhere from $40 to $60 million, and Nate Oats recently signed an extension with Alabama through the 2028-29 season. Word also appears that Grant McCasland could be at the top of the list at Texas Tech, depending on what ultimately happens there.

Jerome Tang and Royal Ivey were two names mentioned early on in this search. Ivey is a former Longhorn guard and current assistant coach with the Brooklyn Nets. Tang has deep Texas ties, both as a successful high school coach and then 20 years as an assistant at Baylor. In one year, Tang has turned Kansas State into a top 15 program.

Houston head coach Kelvin Sampson has been talked about with Texas after building Houston into a national power in less than ten years. Sean Miller’s name is also being floated around some after making his way back into caching at Xavier and having them in the top 25.

There is no question this job will be able to swing for the fences. One name that we are hearing that is building momentum is Billy Donovan. Donovan is currently the head coach of the Chicago Bulls with a 46-36 record, good for second in the Central Division. This is his seventh year coaching in the NBA, and only one season as he had a record below .500.

Prior to the NBA, Donovan was one of college basketball’s most decorated coaches. At Florida, he won six SEC championships, went to four Final Fours, and won two national titles. Donovan was 467-186 in his 19 seasons with the Gaters.

Even with the track record of the coaches whose names are tied to this job, you cannot discount the job interim head coach Rodney Terry is doing. Since taking over for the Longhorns, Terry has a 16-7 record and has maintained his spot high in the top 25 rankings and in second in the Big 12.

One thing to look at with regard to Terry is his recruiting. He was the lead guy for both five-star 2023 signees AJ Johnson and Ron Holland. His name is also attached to a number of 2024 recruits who were thought to be Texas leans on January 5. Terry has been a head coach for ten years, at Fresno State and UTEP, prior to coming on with the Longhorns. He has a career 52.3 win percentage.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, SL Xpress said:

All the sports jobs are stay till I get fired or retire jobs. 

I say this a lot, but in my lifetime we lost Richard Quick to Stanford, who went on to win a ton of national championships and gold medals as the Olympics coach, but he was born in Austin, died in Austin. He had a nasty divorce, which is a big part of what spurred his exit. 

Then Mick Haley, who wanted a higher salary and the opportunity to coach the national team. Texas passed on that. He went on to win a couple of national championships at USC, and also coached the national team in the Olympics.

But that's about it. Over the course of almost 60 years.

Rick Barnes was told fire your assistants or we'll fire you. And he chose to fall on his sword instead of firing his assistants. Shaka Smart saved Texas a buttload of money and negative publicity and took the job in his home town instead of waiting to get canned.

As far as the whole LSU for Texas or Michigan for Texas, could be. But no one is leaving Texas for those jobs, either. 

People just don't leave UT. Heck, a lot of coaches don't leave Austin. Mick Haley still makes his home here. 

People talk about how bad UT's hires have been, but it's really only been in football, then Shaka and Wetlich in basketball, and getting from Conradt to Schaefer. And Goestenkors was actually a really good hire. Just didn't work out. Then the long mediocrity in softball which has finally been fixed. Hopefully soccer will be fixed someday, too. Shoot, baseball going from Gustafson to Garrido to Pierce is better than anyone else in the country over that term by far. I don't know why that sport is even being included. 

I know some of the other non revenue sports have arguably underperformed at times. But they're in great shape now, across the board.

I've heard the Rick Barnes story but thought someone here debunked that.  Hope it actually is true.

What I've been trying to tell ygifs is all of our jobs are at worst top ten jobs.  We have money, academics, are in a great city, incredible pedigrees in two of the sports and lowish expectations in another. 

This is not a place you leave voluntarily, I guess unless you're going to the pros.  I'm not here to argue us or LSU or Michigan, etc, there's some subjectiveness.  But, imo, if you remove regional and familial ties, and we held a school draft for various sports, we would be a top 3 at worst in football and baseball.  Top ten in basketball.

Not sure what he meant by losing guys to USF and Marquette.

37 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Via On3

Texas Head Coaching search intel

John Calipari‘s contract buyout at Kentucky has been reported anywhere from $40 to $60 million, and Nate Oats recently signed an extension with Alabama through the 2028-29 season. Word also appears that Grant McCasland could be at the top of the list at Texas Tech, depending on what ultimately happens there.

Jerome Tang and Royal Ivey were two names mentioned early on in this search. Ivey is a former Longhorn guard and current assistant coach with the Brooklyn Nets. Tang has deep Texas ties, both as a successful high school coach and then 20 years as an assistant at Baylor. In one year, Tang has turned Kansas State into a top 15 program.

Houston head coach Kelvin Sampson has been talked about with Texas after building Houston into a national power in less than ten years. Sean Miller’s name is also being floated around some after making his way back into caching at Xavier and having them in the top 25.

There is no question this job will be able to swing for the fences. One name that we are hearing that is building momentum is Billy Donovan. Donovan is currently the head coach of the Chicago Bulls with a 46-36 record, good for second in the Central Division. This is his seventh year coaching in the NBA, and only one season as he had a record below .500.

Prior to the NBA, Donovan was one of college basketball’s most decorated coaches. At Florida, he won six SEC championships, went to four Final Fours, and won two national titles. Donovan was 467-186 in his 19 seasons with the Gaters.

Even with the track record of the coaches whose names are tied to this job, you cannot discount the job interim head coach Rodney Terry is doing. Since taking over for the Longhorns, Terry has a 16-7 record and has maintained his spot high in the top 25 rankings and in second in the Big 12.

One thing to look at with regard to Terry is his recruiting. He was the lead guy for both five-star 2023 signees AJ Johnson and Ron Holland. His name is also attached to a number of 2024 recruits who were thought to be Texas leans on January 5. Terry has been a head coach for ten years, at Fresno State and UTEP, prior to coming on with the Longhorns. He has a career 52.3 win percentage.

Donavan is at the top of my list and I can see it happening.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Not sure what he meant by losing guys to USF and Marquette.

Same.  We didn't lose Charlie to USF, he was fired and ended up at USF.  Just like we didn't lose Barnes to Tenn or Mack to UNC. 

And for Shaka, it was take a new job or get fired. It worked out for both parties - we didn't have to buy him out and he didn't have a firing on his resume. I wouldn't say we "lost" Shaka to Marquette; I highly doubt CDC batted an eye when Marquette asked to interview him. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, SL Xpress said:

You're gonna tell me the Germans didn't bomb Pearl Harbor, aren't you.

BTW, the game they won in the tournament came against Matt Painter's Purdue squad. The Purdue fans were shaking in their boots to face another Chris Beard team in the tournament last year (they also lost to Texas Tech with Beard as coach). Didn't work out the same way, but it was funny. 

Only correcting you because I didn't remember little rock ever making a sweet sixteen and had to look it up. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just want to say that when Shaka was hired it was a HUGE, splash hire. He was the hottest young, exciting, up and coming coach in the country. Everybody liked him and couldn't wait to see Havok on the 40 acres.  

Now that he is back to coaching his style of basketball, he is a leading candidate for National Coach of the Year.

1 minute ago, HookEm said:

Just want to say that when Shaka was hired it was a HUGE, splash hire. He was the hottest young, exciting, up and coming coach in the country. Everybody liked him and couldn't wait to see Havok on the 40 acres.  

Now that he is back to coaching his style of basketball, he is a leading candidate for National Coach of the Year.

Yep. He turned down quite a few big jobs until we got him. I think UCLA was one? That was the big name at the time that everyone wanted

Too bad he decided what got him to be that name shouldn’t be implemented here 

FWIW, Gerry Hamilton made it sound like if given the opportunity to stay at Texas or join Beard at Ole Miss, he does not think guys like Donewald and John Reilly would be locks to join Beard.

Gerry has always been a big Donewald fan so none of this probably comes as any surprise, but he also mentioned that he knows for a fact that Donewald spearheaded the efforts for several transfers/HS recruits and was the guy to bring them to Chris Beard's attention.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, HookEm said:

That and he's playing in a much a weaker conference.

Texas strength of schedule is #8 and Marquette is #50 (according to Kenpom). This disparity will probably be even bigger after conference tournaments. Getting out of the Big 12 was probably the biggest reason for Shaka's improvement if we're being honest. 

Just now, HookEm said:

Under Shaka, there were times where we would be behind and he would press and push the pace. We always looked awesome. 

We'll see what he does in the tournament.

If you put Texas in the Big East, with Shaka's style of play at Texas, I bet they would be having the same type results. 

The difference is the Big East sucks compared to the Big 12. Shaka is 17-3 in the Big East this year. You simply can't do that on a consistent basis in the Big 12 unless you're Bill Self. 

Just now, David Dennison said:

It's just a hunch. 

Based on what?

Every CDC hire has been a coach with years of proven success at a P5 school. That's the complete opposite of Terry. I swear some of you just want to be miserable. Terry is not going to be hired at Texas unless something crazy happens like a final 4 run. 

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Yes.   Well thought of. Up and coming.  I think he turned down ncsu and ucla.  Hindsight his resume needed greater inspection.   Still root for the guy

5 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Based on what?

Every CDC hire has been a coach with years of proven success at a P5 school. That's the complete opposite of Terry. I swear some of you just want to be miserable. Terry is not going to be hired at Texas unless something crazy happens like a final 4 run. 

Just a hunch, bro.

30 minutes ago, HookEm said:

image.gif.89124283612172963fa494cf16560755.gif

8 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Based on what?

I’d still be so skeptical of a Final Four run with this roster. That’s like Elliot’s titles where he’s like “you give me the keys to a Ferrari and all I have to do is not crash it”

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

Just a hunch, bro.

Your hunch isn't based on logic. Do you think an athletic director is going to randomly change his successful model of hiring coaches? 

Every coach CDC has hired is currently ranked in the top 15 and some people think he's going to randomly abandon that model. Couldn't be me. It makes zero sense in the context of who CDC has hired at Texas and their track record of success at Texas. 

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

Your hunch isn't based on logic. Do you think an athletic director is going to randomly change his successful model of hiring coaches? 

Every coach CDC has hired is currently ranked in the top 15 and some people think he's going to randomly abandon that model. Couldn't be me. It makes zero sense in the context of who CDC has hired at Texas and their track record of success at Texas. 

It's not based on anything. It's just a hunch. 

• Haha 1

Well, Gerry commented on the national On3 report about Donovan and said he was laughed at   when he checked around to see if the rumor had legs. Said he talked to someone close to Donovan and Donovan was not interested.

Edited by Hookem2147