UT's next basketball coach - discussion/debate

alphahorn

48 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Not alot of nba talent there

nope, but as far as college rosters go that was an elite 8 roster if not better. remember, we beat both UNC and OU that year,  out of whom played in the Final Four. that team was truly set up to win 25-30 games and then go on a deep run. the fact that Shaka staunchly decided against running anything resembling Havoc after Cam Ridley was lost to a broken foot was a terrible harbinger of things to come. that team was built to run and gun once ridley was lost, but alas, shaka stick with his, "i'm going to abandon everything i know about coaching" strategy, to his and our detriment.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

People forget the Ridley injury in '16. 

Even with Shaka, I think that team probably would have won some games in the tournament if Ridley was healthy. Kind of like with RT this year. The roster was good and experienced. 

while i totally agree, it's simply egregious and inexcusable that Shaka never even attempted to run anything resembling Havoc after ridley went down. isaiah taylor, demarcus holland, prince ibeh, javan felix, kerwin roach, edj (in his best year),lammert st the stretch 4, et al. the roster was built for running shaka's style, and the idiot simply refused. i'm still pissed about it.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

while i totally agree, it's simply egregious and inexcusable that Shaka never even attempted to run anything resembling Havoc after ridley went down. isaiah taylor, demarcus holland, prince ibeh, javan felix, kerwin roach, edj (in his best year),lammert st the stretch 4, et al. the roster was built for running shaka's style, and the idiot simply refused. i'm still pissed about it.

You aren't wrong I just think people forget how well Ridley was playing before that injury. Texas had won like 7 of 8 that season before Ridley was injured. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

You aren't wrong I just think people forget how well Ridley was playing before that injury. Texas had won like 7 of 8 that season before Ridley was injured. 

for context, ridley was the only player in America averaging a double double with 2+ blocks (and he may have been at 3+ blocks per game) at the time of his injury. he was having an all american season when he broke his foot. truly a shame and a "what could have been" type season. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

That '16 team always makes me sick because I thought that was one of the best rosters Texas has ever had. 

Ibeh and Ridley together was about as good a frontcourt as you can have in college basketball. Texas had a legit lead guard in Taylor, a scorer in Felix, and then some other guys that could defend like Holland. 

I'm not sure Shaka could have even fucked that up if Ridley was healthy. But he definitely should have adjusted once Ridley was injured. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

That '16 team always makes me sick because I thought that was one of the best rosters Texas has ever had. 

Ibeh and Ridley together was about as good a frontcourt as you can have in college basketball. Texas had a legit lead guard in Taylor, a scorer in Felix, and then some other guys that could defend like Holland. 

I'm not sure Shaka could have even fucked that up if Ridley was healthy. But he definitely should have adjusted once Ridley was injured. 

ACU tells me he could have fucked it up.

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

Big 12 backcourt talent and experience deterred Shaka from trying that. He smartly abandoned Havoc, though he failed to find identities for his teams.

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Does Dusty May move the needle for anyone or no?

His 0 NCAA appearances so far is quite sexy....

No, I am not interested in a mid-major guy having a decent year, after 4 pretty bad ones. 

A lot of things aren't working in Terry's favor but the biggest thing is the perfect example of why Terry shouldn't get the job is staring everyone in the face. 

Mark Adams was a mediocre to bad D1 coach prior to Tech. Then he had 1 good year with several of Beard's players and culture. What do you know....1 year removed from those advantages due to Beard he's now back to being mediocre. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

Will Texas part ways with the Sporting News National Coach of the Year?

Let's watch!

If he bows out in the first weekend with this roster, easily. It won’t get any better 

Just now, David Dennison said:

Has the bar moved from Final Four to Sweet Sixteen?

Not my personal bar. But it will have many supporters just making the second weekend. This team should win at least 3 games before he’s even considered because they’ve been a top 8-10 team all year. 

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Kinda funny... Texas Men's BB HC went from 

Walter White

OIP.HHXVZUu1gYo-wZBuuaobNgHaEK?w=300&h=1

to Gus Fring

OIP.SiSdSgGE9JlAo4mvryXCBwHaDt?pid=ImgDe

gettyimages-1245572593-594x594-1.jpg

Wonder which next Breaking Bad character is likely to be our new HC for men's basketball at Texas?? 😋

3fe447b40494ac8fd618114d8ee6c758.jpg

Well, we did hire our last guy over breakfast...so, just sayin'

• Haha 1

I was referring to Walt Jr's. love of breakfast and the secret CDC/Beard meeting over mcmuffins.  

But yeah, good callback.  Although, to be a nudge...that scene takes place in the afternoon.  As we all know, Pollos Hermanos stops serving breakfast at 10:30a.  fucking commies! 

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I was referring to Walt Jr's. love of breakfast and the secret CDC/Beard meeting over mcmuffins.  

But yeah, good callback.  Although, to be a nudge...that scene takes place in the afternoon.  As we all know, Pollos Hermanos stops serving breakfast at 10:30a.  fucking commies! 

Enjoy... 😂

Walter Jr. freaks out about McDonald's breakfast

Breaking Bad Breaking News: Walt Jr Eats Breakfast

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, austintiger said:

I hope, for your sake, terry doesn't get the job or you are in for a rough few years until he is fired.

I will admit, however, that it will be tough passing on him unless he shits the bed in the tourney. Beard really fucked this program

Thank you for at least confirming you are a troll. Makes sense considering how bad your posts are.

Didn't see it posted, Borzello: 

Texas: There hasn't been much movement with this one since it opened in January. John Calipari was initially linked, but that didn't have any legs. There were overtures made to NBA coaches, including Quin Snyder, but Snyder accepted a job with the Atlanta Hawks. Houston's Kelvin Sampson was high on the list, but that doesn't appear to be happening, either. TCU coach Jamie Dixon's name has made the rounds, due to his ties to athletic director Chris Del Conte, as has Kansas State's Jerome Tang. Interim head coach Rodney Terry has done a fantastic job getting the Longhorns to within a game of Kansas in the Big 12 race, but sources indicate he would need a very deep run in the NCAA tournament to even have a chance of keeping the job permanently.

On 3/8/2023 at 6:20 PM, Rickylovesweed said:

Mark Adams was named national coach of the year by a couple publications last season. Now Tech is doing everything in their power to get rid of him. 

When you say doing everything in their power to get rid of him, it has almost a future tense sound to it. I don't think of that as a future tense sort of situation.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

Be interesting to see if anyone hires Grandma.

How interesting would it be? Chris Beard is going to hire him when he gets the job at Ole Miss, don't you think?

In any case, someone will. That dude knows his defense. 

Are you saying for a head job? Absolutely not. At least, not anyone even remotely legitimate. 

3 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

How interesting would it be? Chris Beard is going to hire him when he gets the job at Ole Miss, don't you think?

In any case, someone will. That dude knows his defense. 

Are you saying for a head job? Absolutely not. At least, not anyone even remotely legitimate. 

I was saying head job.  Don’t know if Beard will hire him because of circumstances surrounding Adam’s resignation considering that Beard’s probably got enough baggage of his own now.  

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

And, um, I can't believe I'm saying this, but...

...how about Jamie Dixon?

Apparently this is the first time TCU has made back to back tourneys in 70 seasons. I knew they had zero tradition - but woof. 

Could do worse than him, but I was surprised when I looked the other day and saw that he has never had a winning record in conference play in 6 years at TCU. Actually, the last time he finished above .500 in conference play was 2014 at Pitt. He has had some awful injury luck this year though.

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

Could do worse than him, but I was surprised when I looked the other day and saw that he has never had a winning record in conference play in 6 years at TCU. Actually, the last time he finished above .500 in conference play was 2014 at Pitt. He has had some awful injury luck this year though.

Yeah but he's had them rolling this year and last. They really should have beat Zona last season. And 9-9 in the B12 is like top 25-30 in the country this season. 

He may be happy where he is though - he's a TCU alum. Still, Texas is a huge upgrade. 

45 minutes ago, ztejas said:

If he gets another D1 job it will be somewhere really shitty. His resume is pretty fucking awful once you include the circumstances of the Tech departure. 

Not sure I agree here. He spent a lot of his career in juco and is in the NJCAA Hall of Fame. His only previous shot at D1 was 30 years ago.

In NJCAA he went 233-54 (81%) and won two National Championships. In DII he went 108-49 (73%). In NAIA he went 100-39 (72%).  Then his first year at Tech he takes them to the Sweet 16.  

The guys is a bit of a freak and a hardass, but I honestly think he is a pretty solid coach.  If Tech was in the ACC this year they would probably be one of the better teams.  A mid-major or weaker D1 team could do worse.

3 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Not sure I agree here. He spent a lot of his career in juco and is in the NJCAA Hall of Fame. His only previous shot at D1 was 30 years ago.

In NJCAA he went 233-54 (81%) and won two National Championships. In DII he went 108-49 (73%). In NAIA he went 100-39 (72%).  Then his first year at Tech he takes them to the Sweet 16.  

The guys is a bit of a freak and a hardass, but I honestly think he is a pretty solid coach.  If Tech was in the ACC this year they would probably be one of the better teams.  A mid-major or weaker D1 team could do worse.

No decent program is giving a 67 year old a head coaching job that's had 1 good season in 7 years at the D1 level. 

I would honestly be surprised if Adams ever gets a D1 head coaching position again with this additional baggage. 

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

So now we've entered the "let's see if Jamie Dixon will leave his alma mater for Texas" stage of grief.

You are a very weird poster. 1 person brings up Dixon and you think that's "grief." 

Also, you might want to do research on the big reason Dixon is at TCU. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Haha 1