UT's next basketball coach - discussion/debate

alphahorn

4 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

Is it wrong for me to want Kelvin Sampson?

I've always loved Kelvin Sampson as a coach. I've never seen a coach get his players to play harder consistently than he does.

But holy cow is he a big whiner on the sidelines. Less now than when he was younger, but it's still bad. He used to be halfway out on the floor all the time while action was going on. Then there's the whole cheating thing. People love to be dismissive since you can do the things he was doing back then, but that's not the point. He knew he was in no contact periods, but he would lavish players with attention in ways no other coaches were doing in an effort to get a recruiting advantage, and he was able to because other coaches were respecting those particular rules. 

Then there's also the fact he's 67.

But I really like the way his teams play. 

But it won't be him. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

One of the best young coaches in the game. Someone I wanted us to take a look at

These buyouts are absurd. Kudos to athletic departments for getting these coaches to sign them. But it seems ridiculous the level of leverage the coaches are signing away. But I'm not party to the conversations they're having. I haven't noticed football having buyouts this large. Is it happening in professional sports? Or is men's basketball the unicorn it seems to me?

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

5 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

These buyouts are absurd. Kudos to athletic departments for getting these coaches to sign them. But it seems ridiculous the level of leverage the coaches are signing away. But I'm not party to the conversations they're having. I haven't noticed football having buyouts this large. Is it happening in professional sports? Or is men's basketball the unicorn it seems to me?

Don't they work both ways, or do these contracts typically have different amounts for coach leaving for a new gig vs school firing for coach sucking.

1 minute ago, Kwix said:

Don't they work both ways, or do these contracts typically have different amounts for coach leaving for a new gig vs school firing for coach sucking.

Yeah, it's usually a much higher buyout for firing a coach than it is for buying out the contract if he leaves. For example. Beard's buyout for firing him was somewhere around $30m, but his buyout if he left for somewhere else was around $5 million. 

The first one I know about where the buyout was the same both ways was Applewhite's contract when UH named him the head coach after Herman left for Texas. But I felt like that was somewhat unusual because of how jilted they felt, plus you had Fertitta leading the way, and you had a coach in Applewhite who was pretty desperate to get the job, just in the sense he was ambitious and wanted to be a head coach. 

To be honest, it doesn't sound like Gates' deal is the same amount both ways in any case. He's supposedly getting paid $4m per year, with a $25m buyout. Did he sign a 6 year contract? I guess maybe he did. 

It's a big deal for Missouri in any case. When he was hired I read plenty of articles of Missouri affiliated bloggers talking about the Missouri athletic department not exactly being flush with cash, mostly because the attendance at their football games sucked shit out of a straw. But they are absolutely starved for basketball success. Norm Stewart retired in 1999, and it's been some pretty rough sledding since then. Probably glad to have what appears to be a winner prior to Stewart kicking the bucket. 

6 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

Call these new buyouts what they truly are - Texas insurance clause 😂

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

And, um, I can't believe I'm saying this, but...

...how about Jamie Dixon?
Apparently this is the first time TCU has made back to back tourneys in 70 seasons. I knew they had zero tradition - but woof. 

If we’re playing the conference poach hypothetical, I’d prefer the isu coach who loves the two size too small shirts… Dixon is no step up from Terry.

Pretty good article here: UT did the right thing in firing Beard, but it doesn’t seem like UT will get a reward for doing this. Basically, we don’t go far in the tournament and are able to hire a big name coach or we go really far and get forced into hiring Terry. 

Texas coaching situation will get incredibly awkward if interim coach leads team to Final Four

It would probably not be in Texas’ best interest to make Rodney Terry the permanent head coach, despite how well he has handled everything since Chris Beard was fired.

636882625663364944-Dan-Wolken-.jpg?widthDan Wolken
USA TODAY

There is no doubt the University of Texas did the right thing on Jan. 5 when it fired basketball coach Chris Beard less than a month after he was arrested and charged with a third-degree felony for domestic violence.

Though the Travis County District Attorney dismissed the charges last month after Beard's fiancée recanted some of the allegations, making the case too difficult to successfully prosecute, Texas did not have much of a choice. Given what was in the arrest report — accusations of choking and biting during a late-night altercation, with bruises and teeth marks observed by police — Texas would have looked like the most cynical and craven athletic department in college sports had it attempted to ride things out with Beard. 

But for the Longhorns, it seems, doing the right thing isn't going to make life any easier this month. 

According to multiple reports, Beard is likely to resurface immediately at Mississippi, which will attempt to sell the idea there’s nothing to see here because a bottom-rung SEC program has a once-in-a-generation opportunity to hire one of the best coaches in college basketball. 

For Texas, which will join the SEC in 2024, it’s a double-whammy. Not only will the Longhorns go from employing Beard to facing him every single year, their own coaching decisions coming up in the next few weeks are fraught with tricky optics and disaster potential.

Regardless of how Texas’ Big 12 tournament semifinal with TCU turns out on Friday night, we know the Longhorns will enter the NCAA tournament next week as a top-three seed and a legitimate contender to win the national title. But it’s difficult to tell whether any of that is relevant to Rodney Terry, the interim coach who has done such a good job keeping Texas afloat that Sporting News recently named him national coach of the year.

The reality that everyone understands but doesn’t want to say out loud is that it would probably not be in Texas’ best interests to make Terry the permanent head coach. As well as he has handled everything since Beard’s self-immolation, there was already a large sample size on Terry as a head coach — and nothing about it suggests he would be a candidate for the job under normal circumstances.

At Fresno State, Terry went 126-108 with one NCAA tournament appearance before leaving in 2018 to take the UTEP job. After three poor seasons in El Paso, where he went 37-48, Terry left to join Beard’s staff as an assistant. Fresno State and UTEP are tough jobs, and you can find positives in Terry’s record if you look hard enough. But the reality in both cases is that he made lateral or downward career moves before either school had a chance to fire him.

For better or worse, Texas is the kind of athletic program that takes big swings. And it did not open a new $375 million basketball arena this season to hire someone who was about to get run out of UTEP a few years ago.

At the same time, what happens if Terry leads Texas to a Final Four or, gulp, wins a national title?

OVERPAID COACHES:Five most overpaid men's college basketball coaches

UNDERPAID COACHES:Five most underpaid men's college basketball coaches

The last time anything remotely like that happened was 1989, when Bill Frieder took the Arizona State job, making Steve Fisher the interim coach at Michigan on the eve of the NCAA tournament. He wound up winning the whole thing, keeping the job and coaching there eight more years with a lot of success until NCAA violations related to the Fab Five led to his firing. 

So far, Texas has been insulated from those hypotheticals. The assumption is that Terry will be thanked for his service and athletics director Chris Del Conte will go big-game hunting as soon as the season ends. But we are now at the point of the season where each Texas victory makes questions about the future more relevant and exponentially more awkward.

Can you imagine how uncomfortable it will be if the Longhorns make a Final Four while there’s no clarity on whether Terry is going to be there next year? Especially in a business where Black coaches don’t always get a fair shake in the hiring process, it would be a public relations nightmare for Terry not to get the job after stabilizing things after Beard’s departure and leading the Longhorns on a deep tournament run.

It’s potentially quite messy. And there’s no doubt the Longhorns, who smoked Kansas 75-59 in their final regular-season game, are good enough to do it. 

But in the end, Texas is in this position because Beard built the team. Even if his actions made it impossible for him to see it through, Beard was on his way to doing special things at Texas, a historically underachieving program that should have far more than one Final Four appearance (2003) in the modern era. 

Texas can be a politically complicated place with crazy expectations, but it has the resources and infrastructure to be a top-five job in the country. Despite what he has done this season, it defies common sense that Terry — again, given his previous track record as a head coach — is the best the Longhorns can do. 

For Del Conte, it’s almost a no-win situation. If Texas bows out of the tournament early, it will be a disappointing way to end a great season but allow him the space to do a high-level coaching search. But if the Longhorns do something special, they might get boxed into a hire that won't serve them well over the long haul.

Meanwhile, if Beard ends up coming to an agreement with Ole Miss, Texas won’t be able to escape reminders of what might have been. The school responded admirably to the allegations against Beard, but doing the right thing isn’t coming with much of a reward. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

If Texas makes the final four framing that as a "no win situation" is funny.

I would take a final 4 if it meant a couple more years of Terry in a heartbeat. That's clearly a win for a program that's made 1 final 4 in about 70 years. 

Someone else was complaining about Terry winning it all and us being stuck with him 

I’d give some of y’all’s first born for an NCAA title in basketball. The most amazing March Madness run by this program in its history. This fan base has mega nostalgia for a MNC from 2005, a basketball title would keep us full for a decade or so 

• Hook 'Em 8

10 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

The huge buyout usually does more to protect the coach, giving them a pretty much guaranteed position for several years while they build their own roster and staff. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I would take a final 4 if it meant a couple more years of Terry in a heartbeat. That's clearly a win for a program that's made 1 final 4 in about 70 years. 

40 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Someone else was complaining about Terry winning it all and us being stuck with him 

I’d give some of y’all’s first born for an NCAA title in basketball. The most amazing March Madness run by this program in its history. This fan base has mega nostalgia for a MNC from 2005, a basketball title would keep us full for a decade or so 

Yup! As of this moment, I don’t want Terry to be our next HC. But if he brings home a championship my opinion absolutely flips. Anybody saying otherwise is delusional, imo. A final four would also be good enough for me. E8 leaves me unsure. It’d probably come down to who we beat and ultimately lose to along the way. Anything less than that, and he should officially be off the table. He has a lot of talent that he didn’t bring in. But winning a lot in the tournament goes a long fucking way in my opinion of a coach, and it certainly helps their ability to recruit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/9/2023 at 5:51 AM, LTtxfan said:

Kinda funny... Texas Men's BB HC went from 

Walter White

OIP.HHXVZUu1gYo-wZBuuaobNgHaEK?w=300&h=1

to Gus Fring

OIP.SiSdSgGE9JlAo4mvryXCBwHaDt?pid=ImgDe

gettyimages-1245572593-594x594-1.jpg

Wonder which next Breaking Bad character is likely to be our new HC for men's basketball at Texas?? 😋

OIP.hmzfG7JAfWrXgmmQg6sshwHaDC?pid=ImgDe

Breaking-Bad-Jesse.jpg

jdOWXPEA0ovzJUH7xASKH1a9xzk49F2OvUsjXVQ=

breaking_bad_saul_goodman_pinstripe_suit

Skyler1.jpg&ehk=U8uUPpGEDKvQWzkQEfl1yYBo

mgzdIMIvndfnoRfZs=&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

3fe447b40494ac8fd618114d8ee6c758.jpg

welp, according to this list our next coach will be one of the following:

jim larrañaga

josh pastner 

eduardo najera 

bruce pearl 

kim mulkey

buzz williams 

wes miller

eh, we could do worse.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, SquishMitten said:

The huge buyout usually does more to protect the coach, giving them a pretty much guaranteed position for several years while they build their own roster and staff. 

You and I are talking about different things.

There's the buyout for the coach, which the university pays if they fire the coach before the contract is up.

Then there's the buyout for the university, if the coach leaves for another job before the contract is up. 

The buyout for the coach has always existed. The buyout for the university started in the 90s. It has always been a much smaller number. Like I said above, the contract Major Applewhite signed with UH in 2015 is the first one I'm aware of where the amounts were identical on both sides. It's still not standard procedure to make it similar amounts for both the coach and the university. I'm saying it's surprising it's becoming as common as it is in men's basketball that the buyout numbers for the university are so often as large as they are. I do not believe football has amounts that are nearly that high across the industry, but that could very well be ignorance on my part. 

Yup! As of this moment, I don’t want Terry to be our next HC. But if he brings home a championship my opinion absolutely flips. Anybody saying otherwise is delusional, imo. A final four would also be good enough for me. E8 leaves me unsure. It’d probably come down to who we beat and ultimately lose to along the way. Anything less than that, and he should officially be off the table. He has a lot of talent that he didn’t bring in. But winning a lot in the tournament goes a long fucking way in my opinion of a coach, and it certainly helps their ability to recruit. 

I just keep thinking about that Elite Eight run with BMW under Penders, and how much fun that was. I would take 4 years of mediocrity and then take another swing at a big name for that kind of season. I'll have some mixed feelings about it, but I'll take it. 

Shoot, the run with Augustin/James/Abrams/Johnson/Mason et al was a hell of a lot of fun. We got crushed by Memphis in Houston in a game I attended, but the season as a whole was awesome.

I just don't want an early exit AND have 4 seasons of mediocrity, but I don't think that's going to be an option. 

Oh, and a Final Four? There's no downside with making a Final Four and then keeping Terry. Fuck it. He can have losing seasons for the next 3 to 4 seasons and it would still be worth it. I mean, I'll be glad when Texas finally parts ways with him, but I'll gratefully bid him adieu. 

• Hook 'Em 1

IMO, he sticks with a Sweet 16. I'm indifferent about who the next coach will be.

Just win, baby!

Terry coming off of a Final Four would out recruit every school in the country besides the bluest blue bloods for the foreseeable future. And it would indicate to some degree that he can coach well enough in March to make a deep tourney run (depending on how it happens).

I think you say fuck it at that point and roll the dice. 

Elite eight? Meh. Probably not enough for me with this team. These guys SHOULD make an elite eight. This is one of the best rosters (if not the best) that Texas has ever had. 

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

@ClubWhatever was making a joke, Js1. That one flew over your head. 

i'm getting to the point where i'm thinking that Terry being named our next HC will be the best possible outcome. it would mean:

•most if not all of his staff will return

•ron holland and aj johnson will stay committed

•Tyrese Hunter will return 

•Dylan Disu will be incentivized to return for his covid year at his dream school

all of that leaves us in better shape for next year than if we hire some other coach who isn't a total top tier stud, which is looking more and more likely to be the case. after that, terry has at least 3-4 years to show he deserves to stay on, and, we will no doubt see some more viable candidates emerging during that time than we are seeing now. that's the crazy thing about firing your coach at an elite cbb job- by doing so you effectively close the market in one fell swoop and simply get raises for all of the guys you'd be interested in. 

so yeah, that's where i'm at. i was already wanting to go on a trip to the third weekend, or better yet, watch us play in that monday night game. now i'm simply more on board with what that will mean going forward. so yeah, the guy came up with this motto might be gone, but it don't make a shit: WE'RE DOING THIS!!

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i'm getting to the point where i'm thinking that Terry being named our next HC will be the best possible outcome. it would mean:

•Dylan Disu will be incentivized to return for his covid year at his dream school

all of that leaves us in better shape for next year than if we hire some other coach who isn't a total top tier stud, which is looking more and more likely to be the case. after that, terry has at least 3-4 years to show he deserves to stay on, and, we will no doubt see some more viable candidates emerging during that time than we are seeing now. that's the crazy thing about firing your coach at an elite cbb job- by doing so you effectively close the market in one fell swoop and simply get raises for all of the guys you'd be interested in. 

so yeah, that's where i'm at. i was already wanting to go on a trip to the third weekend, or better yet, watch us play in that monday night game. now i'm simply more on board with what that will mean going forward. so yeah, the guy came up with this motto might be gone, but it don't make a shit: WE'RE DOING THIS!!

53B3C577-564E-4FA0-8109-95F3202424E9.jpeg

On 3/9/2023 at 10:42 PM, ztejas said:

Yeah but he's had them rolling this year and last. They really should have beat Zona last season. And 9-9 in the B12 is like top 25-30 in the country this season. 

He may be happy where he is though - he's a TCU alum. Still, Texas is a huge upgrade. 

Who knows what would happen if CDC really went after Dixon.  He would've taken the UCLA job in 2019 if TCU hadn't played hardball with his buyout, but his parents live (lived?) in Los Angeles where Dixon is from and were in exceedingly poor health.  He wanted to work near them.  I don't know what that tells us about his willingness to leave his alma mater.  I do know this:  he can coach circles around Terry the size of Saturn's rings.  Would I rather have someone like Tony (or Randy) Bennett?  Sure, but I would be fine with Dixon.

19 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

It sounds like Gerry is saying similar things, especially about the staff. Some of them felt betrayed by Beard so them following him to Mississippi isn’t a given. Plus they like Austin. 

Need to keep Donewald on staff…

• Hook 'Em 2

I don't recall trying to come up with a rest-of-season prediction at the time Beard imploded. But if I'd made one, it wouldn't have us remaining solidly in the Top 10 and being at worst a 2 seed. Based on that, I can't argue convincingly against retaining Terry. I'd still be happy to bring in a new guy if he's a known P5 winner (and especially one with Texas connections), but I just have no idea who that would be. So I'm prepared for the status quo. 

17 minutes ago, Pancho said:

It sounds like Gerry is saying similar things, especially about the staff. Some of them felt betrayed by Beard so them following him to Mississippi isn’t a given. Plus they like Austin. 

Need to keep Donewald on staff…

yeah, donewald is the key. it's become more and more clear how important he's been this season both pre and post-beard.

When Beard went off the rails, we were roughly straddling that 1/2 seed line.  We're now almost surely a 2.  Yes, the Elite Eight is the expectation.  I don't think that warrants any particular respect for RT if we get there.  I mean, I'd be happy to buy his beers if I saw him at a bar, but it wouldn't be some Oh My God achievement.  And, this has nothing to do with how long its been since we had that kind of tournament success.  THIS team is good enough to get there.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Shit, we've made 1 S16 in the last 14 years. The fans expectations should be adjusted.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

When Beard went off the rails, we were roughly straddling that 1/2 seed line.  We're now almost surely a 2.  Yes, the Elite Eight is the expectation.  I don't think that warrants any particular respect for RT if we get there.  I mean, I'd be happy to buy his beers if I saw him at a bar, but it wouldn't be some Oh My God achievement.  And, this has nothing to do with how long its been since we had that kind of tournament success.  THIS team is good enough to get there.

Lulz. How many E8's has Texas been to as a program and in the last 20 years? This expectation of making the E8 as a given and anything less means Terry is a horrible coach is beyond retarded.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

When Beard went off the rails UConn and UVa were on the 1 line. You (and me and everyone else) have no fucking clue how this year would have turned out with him at the helm…

Just now, Ignatius said:

You (and me and everyone else) have no fucking clue how this year would have turned out with him at the helm…

I can't believe I keep seeing this comment. From multiple people. Anyone saying this basically believes that Terry is a better college basketball coach than Chris Beard. I can't imagine thinking that. What fucking team have y’all been watching all season? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I can't believe I keep seeing this comment. From multiple people. Anyone saying this basically believes that Terry is a better college basketball coach than Chris Beard. I can't imagine thinking that. What fucking team have y’all been watching all season? 

It’s a convenient argument that no matter what Terry does, Beard would have done better; you can never be proven wrong. Don’t get me wrong, I wish Beard was still here and I think he’s a great coach (with the judgement of a teenager). But the notion that anything short of an Elite 8 is a letdown because CB would have definitely gotten us there (based on how we looked in mid-December) is dubious…

Edited by Ignatius

1 minute ago, Ignatius said:

It’s a convenient argument that no matter what Terry does, Beard would have done better; you can never be proven wrong.

I mean, first of all, that isn't what I said. What you're implying is that it wouldn't be a guarantee that Beard would have this team in a better position to win a national championship at this point in the season.

Of course I can't be proven wrong - just like you can't be proven right. The most tangible and easily evaluated metric of this argument is the coaching ability of both guys. In what universe is Rodney Terry at the same level as Beard as a college basketball coach? Beard was booked for felony domestic violence then fired and less than 6 months later has a job as a head coach for a P5 basketball program. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

Lulz. How many E8's has Texas been to as a program and in the last 20 years? This expectation of making the E8 as a given and anything less means Terry is a horrible coach is beyond retarded.

It's the expected outcome of the seed you fucking idiot.

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

When Beard went off the rails UConn and UVa were on the 1 line. You (and me and everyone else) have no fucking clue how this year would have turned out with him at the helm…

What exactly is your point?  I'm saying that a 2 seed should not be lauded as if they climbed Mt. Everest by attaining the Elite Eight.  I didn't suggest it was a fucking guarantee.