UT's next basketball coach - discussion/debate

alphahorn

40 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

I wonder how much of those years success were Barnes system versus having two NBA point guards on roster?

Barnes seemed pretty inflexible to me. I loved some of his teams, and loved the hard-nosed defensive style. But offense seemed an afterthought and never ran well without an NBA-level playmaker to make things happen. 

50 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

it was raised earlier but Beard is set to make $5.1M next year at Tech. We'll have to beat that and then some. Is Texas going to pay more for a bball coach than the football coach? Is Texas willing to pay $6-7M/year for a bball coach?

5.5, 6 tops.  I don't see anything more.    

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

The issue is he also has multiple absurd upsets. Strong teams that limit possessions make themselves more vulnerable to being upset. If you're the better team then you want more possessions to limit fluke results. But if your team is trained to play a style that results in fewer possessions then you can't just flip the switch when you're the much stronger roster. It's a genuine issue.

See UMBC. 

Just now, justhookit said:

Pretty sure it’s Beard if we can get him and then Ivey. I’m thrilled with either. Honestly the more I’ve thought about it since we got bounced by ACU the more I’m leaning Ivey. And it’s going to happen quickly.

It's sacrilege on this board. But give me Ivey, even with the increased chance of failure.

• Hook 'Em 6

I don't think Ivey is ready and I think you can compare him to Juwan Howard all you want, but Beilein left a much better situation for him than Ivey would be inheriting.  

Beilein went to Sweet 16-NCAA runner up-Sweet 16 when he left.  Plus an Elite 8 in 2014.

Shaka ain't got none of it. 

Edited by Js1

23 minutes ago, BillyBadAss said:

Roy-al I-Vey , clap clap - clap clap.

I have no informed opinion on the subject, but in the pantheon of all time favorite Horns across all sports, Royal would be pretty high on my list. 

I'm good with hiring Ivey under the condition that he requires the entire team rock a baggy t-shirt underneath their jersey:

royal-ivey-of-the-texas-longhorns-pumps-

• Hook 'Em 1

i think the thing with ivey is that you likely aren't getting him in 5 years.  it's kind of a now or never thing.

i agree with the machine in that if we come out of this with beard or ivey i'll consider it a successful search (not that altman would be a bad hire either).

1 minute ago, BigOrange1 said:

i think the thing with ivey is that you likely aren't getting him in 5 years.  it's kind of a now or never thing.

i agree with the machine in that if we come out of this with beard or ivey i'll consider it a successful search (not that altman would be a bad hire either).

Well, Sark is evidence that CDC isn’t afraid of a high risk/high reward hire.

Just now, ShowMeALoss said:

What makes Ivey a great coaching hire? It seems like a big leap of faith. Would we even consider him if he weren't a former player here? I think we will be back clamoring for his dismissal in about 2 years.

Considered a rising star in the NBA coaching ranks, all former UT NBA players love him and vouch for him. As has been mentioned many times, this would be the only college job he'd consider similar to Juwan Howard at Michigan. We have absolutely nothing to go off of given he's an assistant but it's reasonable to expect he'd be a plus recruiter and he's been around good coaches to learn under like Donovan and the overall staff in Brooklyn.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

. . . which is why we shouldn't do it.  Business decisions fueled by "now or never" have a habit of not working out.

• Hook 'Em 3

I'd rather have Beard just because Ivey has never been on the coach side of the recruiting process and doing the recruiting is an entirely different animal than being recruited. And our roster is trash for next season so we need someone who can recruit the portal and high school prospects immediately.

But I'd certainly be okay with Ivey because Texas basketball can make that kind of hire whereas Texas football never should. Give him a shot, if it doesn't work out then we tried. And we'd be giving him his best chance at recruiting with an open roster, NBA star endorsements from Durant et al., and a new facility to sell.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, RollLeft said:

If Royal would take 2.5m and Beard demands 7 what do you do?  I might lean frugal. 

Why?  It's not your money.  Coaching salaries literally have zero effect on you.

I mean, if we want to get into the argument about capping salaries and funneling more money to professors and scholarships, then fine, but other than that, it's such a non-issue, especially at a school like UT.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, RollLeft said:

If Royal would take 2.5m and Beard demands 7 what do you do?  I might lean frugal. 

How much is it worth to Beard to get out of that shithole. Didn't we decide Lubbock was the worst town in Texas on another thread? Maybe he jumps for a small bump.

Give whoever $4.5mm as a base.  You win the conference, another $500k.  For every time you win in the Big XII, another $500k.  So you win the Big XII and make the FInal Four---$7mm that year.  Not bad.  

Sources at Kansas indicating they thought Beard would stick at Tech longer and they could make a run at him when Self retires in a few years.  

How realistic is Jay Wright?  

Edited by Lobo

6 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

What makes Ivey a great coaching hire? It seems like a big leap of faith. Would we even consider him if he weren't a former player here? I think we will be back clamoring for his dismissal in about 2 years.

Agree.  If we aspire to be a player in men’s basketball, then don’t take a flyer on an unproven head coach.  Especially not after the last 6 seasons ...

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

Give whoever $4.5mm as a base.  You win the conference, another $500k.  For every game you win in the Big XII, another $500k.  So you win the Big XII and make the FInal Four---$7mm that year.  Not bad.  

Sources at Kansas indicating they thought Beard would stick at Tech longer and they could make a run at him when Self retires in a few years.  

We'd have to pay north of $5M for a Beard. Possibly well north of that.

Wright is not realistic.

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

Give whoever $4.5mm as a base.  You win the conference, another $500k.  For every game you win in the Big XII, another $500k.  So you win the Big XII and make the FInal Four---$7mm that year.  Not bad.  

Yeah, that could be 9 million dollars in a perfect season.

3 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Give whoever $4.5mm as a base.  You win the conference, another $500k.  For every game you win in the Big XII, another $500k.  So you win the Big XII and make the FInal Four---$7mm that year. 

I sure hope you meant "Big XII Tournament".

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Why?  It's not your money.  Coaching salaries literally have zero effect on you.

I mean, if we want to get into the argument about capping salaries and funneling more money to professors and scholarships, then fine, but other than that, it's such a non-issue, especially at a school like UT.

Notsureifserious.gif. I think you are conflating revenue generating sports and their specific bank of donors with non revenue generating sports and theirs.

I'm in the camp that doesn't like taking good coaches from conference teams. Maybe in this case since Beard is an alum , or if you think he is destined to leave regardless -the  calculus is a bit different. But in general, I like having a strong conference with quality coaches. 

Yeah, my bad...mistype.  Meant winning the Big XII regular season conference title, not each game.  But some massive scale-up for BIg Dance games absolutely.  I guess for winning the Big XII confernce tournament, you could throw 'em $100k or Shaka's old car.  I dunno.

8 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

An Ivey hire gives you a ton of leftover money to hire the best assistants out there. An older coach with head coaching experience and a wizard recruiter to start with.

3 minutes ago, justhookit said:

An Ivey hire gives you a ton of leftover money to hire the best assistants out there. An older coach with head coaching experience and a wizard recruiter to start with.

We can hire Beard and still afford this easily.