UT's next basketball coach - discussion/debate

alphahorn

15 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I’d pass on Oats.  

Nick Saban ain’t about that

Saban is usually pretty calculated in his remarks to the media.  Throwing obvious shade at Oats.

“Everybody’s got an opportunity to make choices and decisions,” Saban told a group of reporters. “There’s no such thing in being at the wrong place at the wrong time.

“You’ve got to be responsible for who you’re with, who you’re around, and what you do, who you associate yourself with, and the situations that you put yourself in.”

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Saban is usually pretty calculated in his remarks to the media.  Throwing obvious shade at Oats.

I’m printing that out and putting on my sons’ desks.  Not really but I will work it into conversations. 

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Oats taking money that could go to football players?

I doubt Saban is worried that a place like Alabama is going to start significantly diverting money from the football players to the basketball players.  Still, I wouldn't put it past him to be a little bitch-assy over the basketball program getting so much coverage.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

The only question with Terry is can he build a program and win with his own guys. Maybe Texas recruits itself and we don't need to worry about that shit, but I doubt it

Agreed, lots of discussion lately on whether RT can coach which I don't get. I didn't think that was even a question. He can definitely coach. Program building and coaching are related but separate qualities. If we can find someone with both qualities again (RT might be that guy) - great. If not, chose the guy who is a program builder who can attract and hire great assistant coaches.

5 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Agreed, lots of discussion lately on whether RT can coach which I don't get. I didn't think that was even a question. He can definitely coach. Program building and coaching are related but separate qualities. If we can find someone with both qualities again (RT might be that guy) - great. If not, chose the guy who is a program builder who can attract and hire great assistant coaches.

I think the RT haters conceded early on he can recruit.  Gerry said he can identify talent. 

1 hour ago, troph said:

As discussed next time down was Carr hard to the rim, not drive and jump shot.  I think it was hey get it to Disu or if it’s there guards get to the rim and draw the foul. If that was the message then the guys executed 100%.  That’s coaching, players, and experience.  Drawing up a play or two, telling guys what to do, and then seeing them execute for 4+ mins is fucking amazing.

Nope. The 1st 3 buckets after the time out came from Disu. Carr's basket came after the backcourt violation.

I don't know anything about basketball, but remember the will of the Mavericks when they won it all.  They had the iron will to keep going down the middle, keep driving to the basket.  It seems strange that a coach might have to keep reminding the players, but I think players do fall in love with the 3 in many cases.  RT proved he could get the players focused and with our athleticism, the drive to the basket will always be there.  

Friday is going to be tough driving the middle, I imagine, depending upon the athleticism of Xavier's 7 footer.  If we can drive the hoop and get him in foul trouble, then that would be great.  

Speaking of big men, I remember the best battle of college big men I ever saw, Akeem vs. Ewing in the final four.  Akeem had such incredible body control, it was amazing.  He still got in some foul trouble though.  But he could block shots to the nth degree.  

A really good friend of an attorney I work with sat next to Disu's parents at the Penn State game. They absolutely LOVE Terry and apparently the entire team does as well. That bodes well for keeping this class together and recruiting going forward.

I have a hard time believing with Terry's ability to hold things together this season during incredibly difficult circumstances, getting to the Sweet 16 (hopefully further), and having the unbridled support of the current players and parents that they don't hire him. That continuity considering the tumultuous turn of events re: Beard can't be underestimated.

Probably not my first choice but he's done enough to have earned a shot, imo. If they hire him, they need to commit to it and give the guy at least a 4 year contract. Can't hamstring him from the start.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, HoustonHorn said:

A really good friend of an attorney I work with sat next to Disu's parents at the Penn State game. They absolutely LOVE Terry and apparently the entire team does as well. That bodes well for keeping this class together and recruiting going forward.

I have a hard time believing with Terry's ability to hold things together this season during incredibly difficult circumstances, getting to the Sweet 16 (hopefully further), and having the unbridled support of the current players and parents that they don't hire him. That continuity considering the tumultuous turn of events re: Beard can't be underestimated.

Probably not my first choice but he's done enough to have earned a shot, imo. If they hire him, they need to commit to it and give the guy at least a 4 year contract. Can't hamstring him from the start.

I've said all along, if you can hit a home run with Wright, BD or Mussellman, go for it. 

But, Rodney took over during a time of tumult and not only righted the ship but has done something that we haven't done in 15 years.  That has to count for something.  And yes, these are Chris's players, but he certainly helped in identifying and recruiting them.  I would be shocked if he's a horrible recruiter.  

Do I wish he did better at Fresno and UTEP?  I guess.  But who actually wins at those places?

RT isn't an unknown commodity off the streets.  He's been ingrained in our program intermittently for years.  

• Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Hire the man. 4 years, a nice salary and let's see what he can do. 

Fuck it, not like we are a basketball blue blood. 

Even two of the basketball blue bloods in Duke and UNC have very recently elevated internal assistants with less experience and success as a HC than RT has this year alone, literally none. Tommy Lloyd was also only ever an assistant before Zona. Kyle Neptune had one .500 season at Fordham before getting the Nova job. Not saying anything about the quality of these hires or how they’ve performed so far, but it seems to me that it is becoming more normal to stick with program continuity over making a splash when it comes to hiring college basketball head coaches. Even the guys that the media hypes up like Cooley and Pitino yesterday aren’t guaranteed anything (I think Cooley ends up majorly regretting this decision). Yes I’d take Donovan or Jay Wright right now, but those are not happening.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, CashMcCoy said:

Even two of the basketball blue bloods in Duke and UNC have very recently elevated internal assistants with less experience and success as a HC than RT has this year alone, literally none. Tommy Lloyd was also only ever an assistant before Zona. Kyle Neptune had one .500 season at Fordham before getting the Nova job. Not saying anything about the quality of these hires or how they’ve performed so far, but it seems to me that it is becoming more normal to stick with program continuity over making a splash when it comes to hiring college basketball head coaches. Even the guys that the media hypes up like Cooley and Pitino yesterday aren’t guaranteed anything (I think Cooley ends up majorly regretting this decision). Yes I’d take Donovan or Jay Wright right now, but those are not happening.

Case against RT:  Both those guys sucked!

Case for RT:  He did better than both of them. 

• Haha 5

28 minutes ago, CashMcCoy said:

Even two of the basketball blue bloods in Duke and UNC have very recently elevated internal assistants with less experience and success as a HC than RT has this year alone, literally none. 

The question here is:  which is better, no experience as a head coach, or many years of average performance as a head coach?

In my mind, the bar for my support of making RT the head coach was an Elite Eight appearance, and that really hasn't changed for me.  I'm not gonna boycott the team or anything if we lose to Xavier and he gets the job, anyway.  He's a very likeable guy and the last few weeks has been very impressive.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

The question here is:  which is better, no experience as a head coach, or many years of average performance as a head coach?

In my mind, the bar for my support of making RT the head coach was an Elite Eight appearance, and that really hasn't changed for me.  I'm not gonna boycott the team or anything if we lose to Xavier and he gets the job, anyway.  He's a very likeable guy and the last few weeks has been very impressive.

Yep agreed. I think while the Sweet 16 feels awesome and I’m really happy with the coaching especially while we have been on this hot streak, this has been a top 10 team the entire year and with that the goal should be to at least play for a chance at the Final Four. Shit, most rankings I’ve seen of the S16 teams have us in the top three or four teams remaining. Nobody will fault them for losing to Houston in the Elite 8, but I already know the fanbase is going to have a miserable and contentious couple weeks if we drop this Xavier game. Besides the last one vs Mississippi State in the 2021 CWS, Friday’s game feels like the most critical point in the big three sports since the title game vs Bama. Until the next one hopefully.

• Hook 'Em 4

20 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

So. This second paragraph of yours is pretty much identical to mine.

What should give both of us pause is that I'm an idiot who knows only two things about basketball: Jack and Shit, and Jack just left town. I seriously wouldn't know a zone defense from a... a... whatever that thing is. And what the heck is a "Bonus," Precious?

Edited by Rimbo

3 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

What should give both of us pause is that I'm an idiot who knows only two things about basketball: Jack and Shit, and Jack just left town. I seriously wouldn't know a zone defense from a... a... whatever that thing is. And what the heck is a "Bonus," Precious?

You'll be glad to hear that I know approximately 5% more about basketball than you.  Follow me kid, we're going places.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, CashMcCoy said:

Yep agreed. I think while the Sweet 16 feels awesome and I’m really happy with the coaching especially while we have been on this hot streak, this has been a top 10 team the entire year and with that the goal should be to at least play for a chance at the Final Four. Shit, most rankings I’ve seen of the S16 teams have us in the top three or four teams remaining. Nobody will fault them for losing to Houston in the Elite 8, but I already know the fanbase is going to have a miserable and contentious couple weeks if we drop this Xavier game. Besides the last one vs Mississippi State in the 2021 CWS, Friday’s game feels like the most critical point in the big three sports since the title game vs Bama. Until the next one hopefully.

Yeah. That's the thing. It's been so long since we've actually made the second weekend that it's tough to reconcile with the expectation that this team should be in the top 8.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, CashMcCoy said:

It gets ugly here if we lose to Xavier.  

51 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

At this point, make him the guy. Because the new guy is going to have to be in the portal + trying to keep Holland and Johnson + recruiting the eligible guys to stay. I think we end up immediately behind the 8 ball if we have to go into a search if CDC has no lined up already. 

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, CashMcCoy said:

Besides the last one vs Mississippi State in the 2021 CWS, Friday’s game feels like the most critical point in the big three sports since the title game vs Bama.

The 2nd loss to Bama sucked. The LSU loss in 2019 sucked. Also the 2013 game against Baylor for a B12 title and the 2018 OU game in Arlington. 

There have also been four other Omaha trips in that span - but some of those teams didn't really have a chance at winning it all. 

Overall - yes - Friday night is as big as it's been in awhile. 

11 minutes ago, Js1 said:

At this point, make him the guy. Because the new guy is going to have to be in the portal + trying to keep Holland and Johnson + recruiting the eligible guys to stay. I think we end up immediately behind the 8 ball if we have to go into a search if CDC has no lined up already. 

That's how I'm rationalizing it, unless we happen to hire someone like a Billy Donovan, which I think is just a bullshit pipe dream. 

It's like the tease of the Urban Meyer hire.  There's an old saying in Texas, that says, fool me once, shame on . . . shame on you. Fool me . . . you can't get fooled again.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, South Austin said:

That's how I'm rationalizing it, unless we happen to hire someone like a Billy Donovan, which I think is just a bullshit pipe dream. 

It's like the tease of the Urban Meyer hire.  There's an old saying in Texas, that says, fool me once, shame on . . . shame on you. Fool me . . . you can't get fooled again.

If you believe Gerry, and as plugged in with BB as he may be, he's still a $9.95er so I take it with a huge grain of salt...

RT would have Holland/Johnson 100% secure, the chances of keeping Morris/Mitchell/Hunter/Brock/Bumbaugh and possibly Disu would be pretty high and a bunch of portal players have reached out to Texas already.... Just see what the man can do with all the talent that wants to be here. 

• Hook 'Em 4

12 minutes ago, Js1 said:

If you believe Gerry, and as plugged in with BB as he may be, he's still a $9.95er so I take it with a huge grain of salt...

RT would have Holland/Johnson 100% secure, the chances of keeping Morris/Mitchell/Hunter/Brock/Bumbaugh and possibly Disu would be pretty high and a bunch of portal players have reached out to Texas already.... Just see what the man can do with all the talent that wants to be here. 

I believe Gerry also said the staff likes it here, but it will depend on the culture and vision RT has. Beard will try to go after Donewald, and as of now, they only one that is most likely leaving to go to Mississippi with beard is Reilly.

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, ztejas said:

The 2nd loss to Bama sucked. The LSU loss in 2019 sucked. Also the 2013 game against Baylor for a B12 title and the 2018 OU game in Arlington. 

There have also been four other Omaha trips in that span - but some of those teams didn't really have a chance at winning it all. 

Overall - yes - Friday night is as big as it's been in awhile. 

Yeah I guess that might’ve been just a personal hyperbolic opinion as I’m a big basketball guy and think this is our most talented team and title contender in any of those sports since Colt. Even though baseball has had some good teams make Omaha runs and get close to reaching the title series, and those football wins would’ve been massive for program momentum, but ultimately wouldn’t have cemented us as national contenders. This team is just a rare combination of talent, depth, experience, and chemistry. And most of all a great story of success in the face of adversity. I would do a lot of things to see us cut down the nets in Houston knowing Beard’s ass is sitting there watching in some hotel in Mississippi, getting berated by Randi.

Edited by CashMcCoy
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

To answer your first paragraph,  tiny sample size, but RT has had success in the seat right?  Certainly more than Hubert or scheyer who inherited better situations. 

3 hours ago, closetohumping said:

But, Rodney took over during a time of tumult and not only righted the ship but has done something that we haven't done in 15 years.  That has to count for something.  And yes, these are Chris's players, but he certainly helped in identifying and recruiting them.  I would be shocked if he's a horrible recruiter.  

is someone saying Terry is a horrible recruiter?

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

I'm not sure I agree with this.  you don't make this decision based on holding together one recruiting class, especially with the portal.   Yes it could mean next year sucks but either you like Terry long term(sure he, like any other new coach, can get fired after 3 years) or you move on.

Just now, dcar00 said:

I'm not sure I agree with this.  you don't make this decision based on holding together one recruiting class, especially with the portal.   Yes it could mean next year sucks but either you like Terry long term(sure he, like any other new coach, can get fired after 3 years) or you move on.

No one is saying make the decision entirely about next year's team.  It's more of a bonus.  Any legitimate candidates are probably a crap-shoot, you might as well pick the one that has a good team set for year 1.

Just now, closetohumping said:

Definite some “can he put together a roster” and “Beard is a recruiting witch”

well putting together the right roster is a bit different than being a great recruiter.  Terry is known as a very good to great recruiter.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Texas Wahoo said:

No one is saying make the decision entirely about next year's team.  It's more of a bonus.  Any legitimate candidates are probably a crap-shoot, you might as well pick the one that has a good team set for year 1.

I think its part of the overall equation.  If he was such a bad coach, why would these two highly ranked guys even be considering sticking to him? It's part of the overall picture CDC will and should look at for Rodney

Vision for the program and culture
Who on staff would stay with Rodney
Getting the underclassmen to stay
Keeping the recruits (and future kids, I think Gerry or someone said some 2024 guys are holding off on committing to Texas unless Rodney is the guy)
Being a coach that portal players want to play for

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Texas Wahoo said:

JS1 is basically saying that. Yes, no one says "entirely" but the post was pretty much base it on this.  Maybe it wasn't meant that way.

my point is you don't even consider next year.  Its a long term vision.  the new coach will have portal and recruiting relationships because we aren't going to hire some no name if it isn't Terry.

Yeah, the ability to land specific recruits is different than developing the recipe identifying which recruits to land.  Beard clearly excelled at the latter, at least as far as building a team according to his vision.  Terry seems to be an excellent guy at landing those recruits.  It doesn't mean he has the vision, or more specifically, that his vision of how to build a roster is as primed for success as Beard's was.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

I stopped playing basketball in 8th grade. The magazines and ESPN were all calling me the next Lebron but when your heart isn’t in it what can you do. Point is I think I know what makes a good basketball coach. 

Next Lebron, 30th percentile of 8th grade players in South Texas. Tomato, tomatoh.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Nope. The 1st 3 buckets after the time out came from Disu. Carr's basket came after the backcourt violation.

Someone said it was the next. Doesn’t matter it’s a minor issue. The guy performed well. 

29 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, the ability to land specific recruits is different than developing the recipe identifying which recruits to land.  Beard clearly excelled at the latter, at least as far as building a team according to his vision.  Terry seems to be an excellent guy at landing those recruits.  It doesn't mean he has the vision, or more specifically, that his vision of how to build a roster is as primed for success as Beard's was.

Beard's vision was to build a team with experience. That's the key. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, CashMcCoy said:

Even two of the basketball blue bloods in Duke and UNC have very recently elevated internal assistants with less experience and success as a HC than RT has this year alone, literally none. 

I don't know if this is a particularly good argument. 

Yes, Hubert Davis made a run in the tournament last year but they were a bubble team last year. Then missed the tournament this year. Also, Duke had a very down year this season. 

My bet is both those coaches fail at UNC and Duke. 

37 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I don't know if this is a particularly good argument. 

Yes, Hubert Davis made a run in the tournament last year but they were a bubble team last year. Then missed the tournament this year. Also, Duke had a very down year this season. 

My bet is both those coaches fail at UNC and Duke. 

I’m aware. Two sentences later I noted that I wasn’t saying it has worked out well so far, just that it is interesting that there are multiple major programs with far more success than Texas that have decided on less experienced coaches than RT, for whatever reason. I know Coach K prepped Scheyer for years. Whatever we do, I have no reason not to trust CDC’s history on basketball especially.

2 minutes ago, CashMcCoy said:

I’m aware. Two sentences later I noted that I wasn’t saying it has worked out well so far, just that it is interesting that there are multiple major programs with far more success than Texas that have decided on less experienced coaches than RT, for whatever reason. I know Coach K prepped Scheyer for years. Whatever we do, I have no reason not to trust CDC’s history on basketball especially.

I mean sure but it looks like both potentially made the wrong decision. 

I have trust in CDC but Duke and UNC went the lazy/easy route and are now paying for those decisions. 

3 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I have trust in CDC but Duke and UNC went the lazy/easy route and are now paying for those decisions. 

Must mean RT will fail. Glad it’s settled and I can worry about other things for the next three years.

6 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Hubert Davis made it to the national championship game in his first season, I'll take that mistake

Edited by Michael Knight

2 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Hubert Davis made it to the national championship game in his first season, I'll take that mistake

UNC got hot during a 3 week period but that team barely even made the tournament. They were a bubble team for almost the entire year. 

Outside of the March run, UNC has been mediocre for the majority of Hubert's tenure. Hubert won't be the coach there in 2 years if they miss the tournament again. 

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

You have it reversed. Terry and Donewald did the identifying and Beard did the closing.

• Drool 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'll give you a specific example. Keyonte George wanted to come to Texas. Towards the end of his recruitment Beard made the decision not to take him because he simply didn't fit what Beard wanted on his team - even though George is without a doubt a potential lottery pick. There's simply no way Terry makes that same decision. He's going to bring in talent when he can, regardless of how they fit with the rest of the team. 

That said I hope we all realize the deal is done. Terry is our next head basketball coach regardless of what happens against Xavier. I'm hopeful the staff is staying minus Reilly, who I would be shocked if he stayed on. 

The danger for the staff to me is what happens a year or two from now, especially if Beard eventually gets the Kentucky job the way I think he will. It's easy to stick around right now. Everyone is euphoric. The feeling of being betrayed by Beard for his stupid decision making regarding his fiancee is fresh. Terry is a nice guy and everyone wants to support him. My big issue with Terry is his ability to have an overall vision, and to be compelling in communicating that vision. I don't think he's good at either one. That's not going to be revealed immediately, especially when he is able to take what Beard built as his foundation. That appears over time. 

But maybe I'm wrong and we're about to enter a golden age for Texas men's basketball. Wouldn't that be fun!

• Hook 'Em 3

Yeah, honestly the George recruitment makes Beard look like a genius. 

George was Baylor's downfall this year. 

2 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

I'll give you a specific example. Keyonte George wanted to come to Texas. Towards the end of his recruitment Beard made the decision not to take him because he simply didn't fit what Beard wanted on his team - even though George is without a doubt a potential lottery pick. There's simply no way Terry makes that same decision. He's going to bring in talent when he can, regardless of how they fit with the rest of the team. 

That said I hope we all realize the deal is done. Terry is our next head basketball coach regardless of what happens against Xavier. I'm hopeful the staff is staying minus Reilly, who I would be shocked if he stayed on. 

The danger for the staff to me is what happens a year or two from now, especially if Beard eventually gets the Kentucky job the way I think he will. It's easy to stick around right now. Everyone is euphoric. The feeling of being betrayed by Beard for his stupid decision making regarding his fiancee is fresh. Terry is a nice guy and everyone wants to support him. My big issue with Terry is his ability to have an overall vision, and to be compelling in communicating that vision. I don't think he's good at either one. That's not going to be revealed immediately, especially when he is able to take what Beard built as his foundation. That appears over time. 

But maybe I'm wrong and we're about to enter a golden age for Texas men's basketball. Wouldn't that be fun!

This has Donovan written all over it if he doesn't get hired this coaching cycle.