UT's next basketball coach - discussion/debate

alphahorn

1 minute ago, SL Xpress said:

I'll give you a specific example. Keyonte George wanted to come to Texas. Towards the end of his recruitment Beard made the decision not to take him because he simply didn't fit what Beard wanted on his team - even though George is without a doubt a potential lottery pick. There's simply no way Terry makes that same decision. He's going to bring in talent when he can, regardless of how they fit with the rest of the team. 

That said I hope we all realize the deal is done. Terry is our next head basketball coach regardless of what happens against Xavier. I'm hopeful the staff is staying minus Reilly, who I would be shocked if he stayed on. 

The danger for the staff to me is what happens a year or two from now, especially if Beard eventually gets the Kentucky job the way I think he will. It's easy to stick around right now. Everyone is euphoric. The feeling of being betrayed by Beard for his stupid decision making regarding his fiancee is fresh. Terry is a nice guy and everyone wants to support him. My big issue with Terry is his ability to have an overall vision, and to be compelling in communicating that vision. I don't think he's good at either one. That's not going to be revealed immediately, especially when he is able to take what Beard built as his foundation. That appears over time. 

But maybe I'm wrong and we're about to enter a golden age for Texas men's basketball. Wouldn't that be fun!

I mean you have no idea what happened with the recruitment of George to say this. For all we know, Terry and/or Donewald could have come to Beard and said, we don't think he's a fit. You act like Beard built this culture without the help of anyone else. The same guy that 15 months into the job was choking a woman. I think we give too much credit to Beard due to his being the forward face of the operation.

• Hook 'Em 2

We can debate back and forth about who made the George decision but a lot of people on this board argued that Beard (specifically) was dumb for making that decision. 

Turns out somebody knew what they were doing and this board definitely thought Beard was to blame for passing on George. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 1

The Davis title run does look a little flukey in hindsight.

I don't understand all of the people writing Scheyer off because Duke didn't make the SS his first season. K was 9/16 getting to the SS his last 16 seasons. Duke's roster just wasn't built for tourney success this year. Five of their top seven minutes getters were true freshman and Filipowski is the only one that could go in the first round of the draft. I'd expect them to be really good next season whether or not Scheyer is the right guy for the job. They're going to be absolutely loaded. 

I guess people just hate Duke so much that they want Scheyer to be a bust and for them to fade into whatever Indiana is now. I don't see it and mainly think it's wishcasting. 

Edited by ztejas

4 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I mean you have no idea what happened with the recruitment of George to say this. For all we know, Terry and/or Donewald could have come to Beard and said, we don't think he's a fit. You act like Beard built this culture without the help of anyone else. The same guy that 15 months into the job was choking a woman. I think we give too much credit to Beard due to his being the forward face of the operation.

Actually I do know. Beard made the call. 

Beard is a top 5 coach in the country. Watch what he does at Ole Miss in very short order, and then where ever he coaches next. Beard gets the credit because he's the one who built what this program is right now from scratch in a year and a half. There's not a single person on this staff because of Rodney Terry. That's okay. Now he gets his chance to put his imprint on the program. 

You feel like "we" give Beard too much credit. I feel strongly you're not giving him enough. 

But he was arrested for a felony charge of domestic violence when he shouldn't have been. He had to go. No question. He wasn't just the face of the operation. He was also the person responsible for every single person who was a part of the operation. Now it's Terry's turn. Let's see what he does with it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

This has Donovan written all over it if he doesn't get hired this coaching cycle. 

I have to admit that's a compelling hire. 

I'll stick with my prediction, though, of Beard being their next coach. I believe he's going to get a lot of credit for how Texas does this year, whatever that ends up being, and then I think he's going to win at Ole Miss very quickly, have that fan base rocking their SBJ Pavilion in a way they never have before, and I feel like the Kentucky fans/boosters/administrators are going to take notice. 

Beard's focus on late-season success is pretty unusual, and it works.  He recruits toward that end.  Most coaches just try to sign the bluest chips they can.  We'll see what happens going forward, but I honestly don't think any former UT coach or current staff member has that same vision.

• Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

UNC got hot during a 3 week period but that team barely even made the tournament. They were a bubble team for almost the entire year. 

Outside of the March run, UNC has been mediocre for the majority of Hubert's tenure. Hubert won't be the coach there in 2 years if they miss the tournament again. 

Sounds similar to Shaka at VCU 

2 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

Beard is a top 5 coach in the country. Watch what he does at Ole Miss in very short order, and then where ever he coaches next. Beard gets the credit because he's the one who built what this program is right now from scratch in a year and a half. There's not a single person on this staff because of Rodney Terry. That's okay. Now he gets his chance to put his imprint on the program. 

You feel like "we" give Beard too much credit. I feel strongly you're not giving him enough. 

But he was arrested for a felony charge of domestic violence when he shouldn't have been. He had to go. No question. He wasn't just the face of the operation. He was also the person responsible for every single person who was a part of the operation. Now it's Terry's turn. Let's see what he does with it. 

I will be interested to see how affected Beard is by his felony domestic violence arrest. I’m not as sure as others that he will just brush it off and get Ole Miss to the top tier in the next couple of years. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Texas Wahoo said:

I will be interested to see how affected Beard is by his felony domestic violence arrest. I’m not as sure as others that he will just brush it off and get Ole Miss to the top tier in the next couple of years. 

The wife beater was invented in Mississippi.  He'll get institutional and regional support for sure.

10 minutes ago, Texas Wahoo said:

I don’t know if he gets Ole Miss to the top tier in a couple of years. But he’s going to have that program at a very competive level in short order. They’ll be in the tournament next year if Beard isn’t arrested and fired for something. For Ole Miss that would be a gigantic accomplishment. That said, I believe he’ll be gone to his next job in short order. 

But the guy is wound tight for sure. 

3 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

But he was arrested for a felony charge of domestic violence when he shouldn't have been.

Or maybe he deserved to get arrested for a felony charge because he put hands on his fiancé to the degree that she called the cops.  

My opinion:  F that guy.  I hope he falls flat on his face at Ole Miss. It shocks me the pass he is getting from the media.

• Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

You were so right about Keyonte George when you were discussing him before the season started. He plays zero defense. 

The drop off defensively for Baylor this year was insane. Baylor went from #13 in adjD last year to #105 in adjD this season. I'm not saying George was the only cause of that but he was a big cause. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, HookEm said:

Or maybe he deserved to get arrested for a felony charge because he put hands on his fiancé to the degree that she called the cops.  

My opinion:  F that guy.  I hope he falls flat on his face at Ole Miss. It shocks me the pass he is getting from the media.

Yep. The constant excuse making for him ignores the fact that he Is either the guy who choked and bit his chick or he is the guy who proposed to a crazy bitch who would lie about getting choked or bit. Either way he's a fucking idiot. And if the latter is what actually happened, he's even more pathetic when you take into account her looks and the fact he didn't have kids with her. 

When someone shows you who they are, believe them. He will kill it at Ole Miss and then get a bigger job like Kentucky and he will fuck it up within a few years. Some of you guys with the excuse making and belief in people being capable of change sound like your typical dumb chick talking about their piece of shit boyfriends/husbands. 

Beard is Billy Clyde with a better publicist and agent. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

You were so right about Keyonte George when you were discussing him before the season started. He plays zero defense. 

The drop off defensively for Baylor this year was insane. Baylor went from #13 in adjD last year to #105 in adjD this season. I'm not saying George was the only cause of that but he was a big cause. 

That dickhead getting injured cost us a B12 title. 

24 minutes ago, ztejas said:

That dickhead getting injured cost us a B12 title. 

He definitely did. 

9/40 from the field with 10 turnovers in his last 5 games and he was a terrible defender. There's a reason we were running Baylor off the court and then all of a sudden they started playing better without him. 

3 hours ago, Massive Horn said:

Yep. The constant excuse making for him ignores the fact that he Is either the guy who choked and bit his chick or he is the guy who proposed to a crazy bitch who would lie about getting choked or bit. Either way he's a fucking idiot. And if the latter is what actually happened, he's even more pathetic when you take into account her looks and the fact he didn't have kids with her. 

When someone shows you who they are, believe them. He will kill it at Ole Miss and then get a bigger job like Kentucky and he will fuck it up within a few years. Some of you guys with the excuse making and belief in people being capable of change sound like your typical dumb chick talking about their piece of shit boyfriends/husbands. 

How long has Beard been coaching and how many incidents has he had prior to this one? It's possible that he fucks up again, but I don't understand why we have to believe this to be a foregone conclusion. 

11 hours ago, HookEm said:

I didn't communicate that well at all. I meant that he shouldn't have been in a situation where he'd be arrested. Not that he shouldn't have been arrested. 

10 hours ago, Massive Horn said:

I am no insider, but I do know someone who's known Chris for a while.  Not a bad guy at all, but people in his circle have said Randi would be his downfall, well before the Texas job.  Also, I think Chris can definitely drink.  It was posted here that he didn't drink last year and we didn't have a great year realistically (sorry Beard apologists, we actually didn't make the final four last  year).

5 hours ago, closetohumping said:

I am no insider, but I do know someone who's known Chris for a while.  Not a bad guy at all, but people in his circle have said Randi would be his downfall, well before the Texas job.  Also, I think Chris can definitely drink.  It was posted here that he didn't drink last year and we didn't have a great year realistically (sorry Beard apologists, we actually didn't make the final four last  year).

I felt like last year was awesome. He had a more limited talent pool on the roster than we thought heading into the season. There was a dearth of athletes. Players couldn't create their own shot. 3 point shooting was lacking. But they played intense man to man defense, guarded the 3 point line extremely well, and while it wasn't a lot of fun to watch a lot of times, were efficient on offense. I could see a vision for what he wanted to do. He just needed to get more of his type of players. Needed to get to the #5 seed and I think we could have made it to the Sweet 16, but we didn't, and ended up facing a Purdue team that had a second big and actual experienced/talented guards rather than the mess of this year's Purdue team. Just a bad matchup with the exact kind of officiating that was going to spell our doom. It seemed like a great year to me. 

This year is better, though.

• Hook 'Em 2

59 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

I felt like last year was awesome. He had a more limited talent pool on the roster than we thought heading into the season. There was a dearth of athletes. Players couldn't create their own shot. 3 point shooting was lacking. But they played intense man to man defense, guarded the 3 point line extremely well, and while it wasn't a lot of fun to watch a lot of times, were efficient on offense. I could see a vision for what he wanted to do. He just needed to get more of his type of players. Needed to get to the #5 seed and I think we could have made it to the Sweet 16, but we didn't, and ended up facing a Purdue team that had a second big and actual experienced/talented guards rather than the mess of this year's Purdue team. Just a bad matchup with the exact kind of officiating that was going to spell our doom. It seemed like a great year to me. 

This year is better, though.

The team was limited and yet if Disu was healthy like he is now that could have very well been an elite 8 team. 

• Hook 'Em 2

41 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The team was limited and yet if Disu was healthy like he is now that could have very well been an elite 8 team. 

I completely underestimated how limited Disu would be. 

I will say I'm not sure Beard utilizes Disu as well as he's being used right now. Maybe he does, but I give a lot of credit to the current staff - Terry included - that Disu has played such a significant role lately. Reminds me a lot more of Barnes than it does Beard. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, UTEE97 said:

How long has Beard been coaching and how many incidents has he had prior to this one? It's possible that he fucks up again, but I don't understand why we have to believe this to be a foregone conclusion. 

"When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time"

1 minute ago, South Austin said:

Erin Hogan said this morning that Penn State (who just lost their coach to Notre Dame) will supposedly hire Terry if Texas doesn’t give him the head coaching job, and Cal will also want to talk to him. I haven’t searched the internets to see where he’s getting this.

Bohls apparently. He tweeted it 

19 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

He's probably already done enough to get the job, but If we win the next game he's the next coach

Terry was in once he got to the 2nd weekend. He was likely in once he won the Big 12 tournament. Especially after destroying Kansas for the 2nd time. 

Del Conte said he was going to wait until the end of the season to name a coach. He's keeping to his word. Then he'll name Terry.

Idiots like Bohls and Vitale are just throwing shit out there for that sake only. They'd be best served by just stepping aside and revisit what Del Conte has said from the get-go. 

1 hour ago, TexEx15 said:

What a bullshit tweet.

Is it me or does he contradict himself? This tweet makes no sense.

Like I (and others) have said - CDC can't worry about the media because there are many will criticize any decision he makes in order to get clicks - like this below:

25 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Someone please snatch this man’s wig

The only "distraction" is assholes like Bohls and Vitale trying to make a story out of this.

This is the most "feel good" story of the year in CBB and these assholes are bending over backwards to make it like Texas is the bad guy. 

I mean for crying out loud - the very story that Vitale links talks about Texas' and Terry's perseverance yet they come screaming that Texas is doing this wrong!

Fuck them both. 

• Hook 'Em 1