UT's next basketball coach - discussion/debate

alphahorn

What a bullshit tweet.

Purely objective journalism/commentary in sports is difficult as we all have our favorite teams and schools and such… but using your platform to try to pressure/sway a team to make employer/employee decisions is an insult. I applaud your cancer battle and cancer research support, dickie v, but you can fuck right off trying to interfere/instigate when it comes to putting your large nose into Texas athletics administration.
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, kevwun said:

He and his agent aren't happy about something though.  Bohls is too lazy to do any actual work on a story.  He is being fed all of this from RT's camp.

Found the two biggest hacks and let them do the dirty work. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Also I hate it bc it makes RT come off as a bit ungrateful. He doesn’t have the resume to command a mega contract. He’s still proving he’s this guy and not the barely .500 coach at UTEP/Fresno.

Like homeboy took a team full of 22 and 23 year olds, most in their second year of the program culture, to the second weekend - I’m so grateful and happy. But you have a lot to prove to CDC that you can do it consistently without them 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Gerry saying those tweets aren’t accurate and the team is locked in (I asked). 

It’s just really odd to put those tweets out there now…

Dude is a fucking joke. Trying to cause a stir ahead of our first sweet 16 game since 2008. Fuck him 

7 minutes ago, Helobious said:

What makes everyone think it’s RT & his agent feeding the media this? It’s a very easy/lazy angle to take to stir up clicks & drama for sports reporters. Especially hacks like bohls. I don’t think it’s something they needed any prodding to do

Because you're asking this question, that's how we know it's not them.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

It is so weird seeing these old guys bucking against the concept of waiting until the end of the season to make coaching decisions considering that has always been the norm. It is only recently we see schools firing guys in the middle of the season.

That's my thing. Texas has always hired their coaches after the season is over. Including interim coaches. You have to negotiate a contract. It doesn't make sense to do that until after the season is over. It's a bunch of noise for the sake of making noise.

2 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

That's my thing. Texas has always hired their coaches after the season is over. Including interim coaches. You have to negotiate a contract. It doesn't make sense to do that until after the season is over. It's a bunch of noise for the sake of making noise.

Also - anyone who wants Terry or thinks they have a shot at stealing him will obviously wait until Texas is done in the tourney. 

Classless is such a weird word to use by Vitale for this situation. He can debate whether CDC should name RT the next coach based on what we have seen so far, but he can't say we are "classless" for not have made a decision yet. That has nothing to do with class. There is still information to be used in the decision and CDC would be a fool to make the decision before all of that information is in. It is possible that CDC is 95% on board with RT, but there is that 5% chance based on what could happen tomorrow that he would want to go a different direction.

But po, we haven't been to the Sweet Sixteen in 15 years. That should be enough.

This isn't your random 7 seed Longhorn team. It is a 2 seed. Whenever we have had a 1 or 2 seed, we have made it to the Elite 8. We need to at least see how we play tomorrow. I don't think that is too much to ask.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, po elvis said:

This isn't your random 7 seed Longhorn team. It is a 2 seed. Whenever we have had a 1 or 2 seed, we have made it to the Elite 8. We need to at least see how we play tomorrow. I don't think that is too much to ask.

Others have made this argument, but to me, it implies that Terry had little or nothing to do with Texas achieving that 2 seed, or that it would be more impressive if we reached the Sweet 16 as a 7 seed.  Fuck that.  Give me the 2 seed path all day long.  If Terry has Texas achieving that year in and year out, I'll be a happy camper.

13 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

If Terry has Texas achieving that year in and year out, I'll be a happy camper.

If Terry can make that guarantee, I am sure everyone would be a happy camper. The problem is we are extrapolating based on this season, not based on prior 10 years of head coaching experience. If Terry did this at another school, we wouldn't be hiring him because CDC probably would have liked to see success in more than one season. Hence, the decision to hire him is not so clear cut.

24 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

If Terry can make that guarantee, I am sure everyone would be a happy camper. The problem is we are extrapolating based on this season, not based on prior 10 years of head coaching experience. If Terry did this at another school, we wouldn't be hiring him because CDC probably would have liked to see success in more than one season. Hence, the decision to hire him is not so clear cut.

100%

You'd think if CDC was "all in" regardless whether or not a contract was signed he'd have
walked down the hall and told Terry we're gonna take care of you.
If Terry's camp is talking to Bohl's then they haven't heard and may be worried a S16 loss might jeopardize their position.
I thought it was a done deal after hearing about Kenton Paulino joining his staff.

CDC has his work cut out for him this time.
On one hand he has the feel good story, everyone likes him, best performance/team we've had in a long while along side the lack of a
top resume when Terry has been the guy creating and running an entire program over time.

utep.jpg

RT1.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

This is a good example of how we're gonna get dunked on in the media, even our own media, no matter what we do. So let's shelve the "... but we'll get hammered in the press" narratives when making decisions. 
I mean good lord. "We will name a permanent head coach after the season is over."
"You fucking monsters!!"

This right here. It’s easy clicks to shit on Texas. We’re gonna hear it no matter what.

If RT’s agent is behind this shit though, I can’t imagine it’s going to help his cause if we lose tomorrow.

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Such is the state of "journalism" these days.

It's tempting to say these folks are so concerned about avoiding the "BOMC pimp" label they go far out of that way to be the opposite. That's part of it, but not all. They're also a bunch of burnouts who once saw themselves as mattering but increasingly realize they're just click generators...and that AI might replace them before they can hit retirement age. Journalistic truth has fallen down their list of priorities. I spent enough time in the media to suspect at least some of them want everyone else to share in their misery as they take their parting shots.  

8 hours ago, South Austin said:

Erin Hogan said this morning that Penn State (who just lost their coach to Notre Dame) will supposedly hire Terry if Texas doesn’t give him the head coaching job, and Cal will also want to talk to him. I haven’t searched the internets to see where he’s getting this.

i heard this exact thing through the grapevine yesterday. 

3 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:
2 hours ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

CDC has his work cut out for him this time.

Not sure why I could not add text to my original quote post.

I disagree here. Unless CDC can pull Donovan or Wright it’s really pretty easy. Who else are you going to hire that doesn’t have similar questions as RT without the feel good story of this year to go along with it. I don’t think Mussleman is realistic.  Oats ain’t it anymore. Etc…

Edited by TexEx15
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

this tore our family apart. 

I'm sure, and it really is such a simple way to define him. If you spend your entire life in Austin as a sports journalist and you watch VY's 2005 season and don't have him first on your ballot there are only a few possible reasons. 

a. You're a troll

b. You don't know football

c. It's more important to you for the national media to "respect" you than it is to just do your job

It is one or a combination of the above. That's it. 

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I'm sure, and it really is such a simple way to define him. If you spend your entire life in Austin as a sports journalist and you watch VY's 2005 season and don't have him first on your ballot there are only a few possible reasons. 

a. You're a troll

b. You don't know football

c. It's more important to you for the national media to "respect" you than it is to just do your job

It is one or a combination of the above. That's it. 

With Bohls, it's always been (c).  He simply wants to be seen as a deep thinking contrarian.  The problem is, he never supports his contrarian views with anything resembling coherent thought.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, UTEE97 said:

I don't disagree with this at all.  What I do disagree with is not giving any credit to Terry for earning the 2 seed and hinging his possible hiring on the outcome of one game. 

Edited by idigTexas
typing is hard and OU sucks

1 hour ago, idigTexas said:

I don't disagree with this at all.  What I do disagree with is not giving any credit to Terry for earning the 2 seed and hinging his possible hiring on the outcome of one game. 

I disagree with your premise that the reward for earning a 2 seed this year should be for the interim coach to get the full time job. I think the proper reward is a bonus or salary bump. Our floor when he took over was probably 3-4 seed and the ceiling being a 1 seed. We landed in the middle.

I have said it repeatedly here that the full time HC job is different than the interim job, which was to keep the ship on course. Next year, the HC will have to build the ship and recruit the crew. Perhaps there are no good options available, so Terry gets the job by default.

I think we will see a drop off next year and become a .500 team the year after. People will forget about this year and start questioning why we didn't try to hire someone with a better track record. I am just trying to enjoy this season and hope we go deep because the next few seasons will most likely disappoint.

Edited by UTEE97
  • Hook 'Em 2