The 2018 Hunting Thread

Bert Orange

Following what ousuxindallas said, POC is awesome.  First time I went down there, we got red heads, pintails, widgeons, goldeneyes, green wing teal, and others along with specklebelly and Ross geese.  It was crazy.

Go with Salty Dog Outfitters.  Pickle is a hell of a duck hunter, the blinds are spacious, and he and fam are good people.

http://www.saltydogoutfitters.com/

Edited by solamente73
Wtf with the crazy font size? iPad struggling today with the forum

I’ve hunted and fished with Pickle a couple of times; we have some mutual friends.  Helluva guy. 
Still don’t feel comfortable calling him Pickle. 

Holy shit. Pickle makes shaggy surly. Never hunted with him, need to make that happen.

da184dd249b55fdf792d32e72fa90200.jpg

Whistlers on the neighbors’ roof last night had me excited rather than annoyed. Checked calendar. Yeah, it is May.

On 3/28/2018 at 6:39 PM, mapplewhite132 said:

Hey guys, I've been a deer and dove/bird hunter my whole life. Live in the Houston area and just got a new bird dog pup a couple months ago (boykin spaniel). I have never been much of a duck hunter, but would like to start going on some hunts. Any suggestions on where to start? I've looked at a few hunting clubs online, but I'm thinking going out with a guide 5 or 6 times would make more sense for me than a lease. Any suggestions for good outfitters near Houston?

Also what gear do I need to pick up? I already have a good shotgun for ducks, but no waders, calls, etc.

What area are you in?  I might be able to help you out.  I'm in NW Austin.

I trained my bird dog years back and have surplus gear including, training books, videos, bumpers, collars, decoys, and more.

My dog is turning 11 this year and I won't hunt her much this year.

When she was 2

473c452b.jpg

Couple years ago, her muzzle is all white now.

Daisy201505-2_zpsr1pc1z0r.jpg

• Like 1

Fried Dove recipe

This is a great recipe for fried dove that' I've used more than once.  Looks like it would be great for turkey as well. 

1 cup buttermilk
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 cups all-purpose flour
oil or lard, for frying
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
4 tablespoons honey
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
3 tablespoons hot sauce
4 thinly sliced jalapeños 
1/4  cup fresh herb leaves, such as parsley or marjoram

• 2 weeks later...
Got my mount back from Headhunter Taxidermy out of Wills Point. Pretty quick turn around this year. My son's dear took about 8 months to get back a few years ago. I'm not complaining as he does a great job.5e6f741efef7dfd3a3480955528b4821.jpgcfa15af3fb8bb057ed995f4960f91291.jpg

Awesome buck!
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The retirement thread got me thinking. I've got about 50 acres (80ac now, but may sell a portion). I have a wildlife ag exemption, and don't have cattle now. Not really interested in keeping them. But I could see having some bison, I just always thought they were cool. I'm sure my fences would have to be replaced and bulked up. Would having a 5'4" fence (taller than normal) mess up white tail deer? 

The retirement thread got me thinking. I've got about 50 acres (80ac now, but may sell a portion). I have a wildlife ag exemption, and don't have cattle now. Not really interested in keeping them. But I could see having some bison, I just always thought they were cool. I'm sure my fences would have to be replaced and bulked up. Would having a 5'4" fence (taller than normal) mess up white tail deer? 

I don’t think bison would get through a five strand 48” fence. You could probably call the LBJ ranch and ask them what they have.

I want to improve some of our low fence and get a little blackbuck herd going

Wildlife ag exemption is different than an ag exemption where you are farming or raising livestock. Wildlife ag is where you have made improvements to habitat, structure and well being for specific wildlife.
So if you have a wildlife ag exempt, then you don't need to run any livestock on it. However you have to have a wildlife management plan in place, which is a lot easier than running cows/bison.

15 hours ago, CleverNickname said:

White tail. no.  Bison can be a handful.  As a red meat alternative, they are popular right now.  But you have to be careful with them.  Brucellosis is always a concern with nearby cattle.  But primarily they are big, fast, strong, and sometimes aggressive.  If they want to to through/over a fence, they will.  They have tremendously strong herd instincts, and they will push on/rub your fences & trees.  Few ranchers around us experimented from time to time.  More as a novelty as you are looking at.  They move around a lot.  Not sure if there are space limitations, but I'd look into it.  

On the plus side, they are hardy, strong, birth well without needing human interference, and typically don't need structures to protect them from the elements.  I'd contact a biologist as well to make sure the area you are planning for them has their proper nutritional requirements.  If you have to supplement feed it can get expensive.

16 minutes ago, noharleyyet said:

Colorado Mule Deer foreground....N TX Whitetail

37675836014_9cdd8fe1c8.jpg

Great racks. I really like wall mount pedestals like this, I'm going to try to work one up like this for my next mount.

On 4/8/2018 at 7:45 PM, 686 said:

Thanks, it has been a great place for us. We’ve cleared new growth cedar out of about 70ac of pastures (I’m going to ballpark it at 2000 cedars); once we got those down a spring started flowing again. In the photo above, I was pulling oak and cedar stumps where the folks before us had some dead oaks and cedars ground down. Having good equipment makes all the difference. I probably pulled ~200 stumps in 3 hours. Once we get the stumps out we can disc, shred/spray the noxious plants, seed/encourage the productive plants, and it looks so much better and is more productive.

Here’s a “finished product” food plot:

0976a104a3b8ad40fb315c643086c5ac.jpg

I feed protein, but timed release, only open 5 minutes morning and evening now. This is a 200 ac low fence place. I never saw deer like this as a kid, my kids don’t know how good they have it:

5795d82a6ad4d5680040390ff281f6ea.jpg

Quite the bachelor party...

Quite the bachelor party...

The rifle blind that hunts that spot has about 300 degrees of visibility and deer are always moving. My neck aches after hunting there. Here’s another pic from the same spot:

bdbeb124b7f4547ca07d24ac94ed51ac.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’m going to sell my 1300lb timed protein feeder and a 700lb free choice protein feeder. They are both in good shape, I just don’t need them anymore since I built two 3000lb feeders (and I’m wanting to put more money in my Africa budget). The timed feeder is shown in my photos above. You can load these from the back of a truck no problem, or, with both feeders you can buy 2000lb in bulk.

New these would sell for $1300, I’m listing elsewhere for $1000, I’ll take $900 here. Posting here instead of the Best Buy forum since it’s a niche item.

d8b90ac9adc89a0720425378feea5820.jpg

b58ca1408abca5149ee5c9dca85d8473.jpg

e379ed67d2bffd87e45ad81449f9b4e3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Apparently some Walmarts have their corn marked down to $2.50/bag. I picked up 36 (of the 51) bags at the Frisco location off 121 today. This was the clearance price from last season and I guess some locations didn't get updated when their new stock just came in.3661eb4a37565ba547731f90ce1681d3.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...