2021 Seattle Mariners

MC Fresh Breath

Regarding Covid stuff, I think I saw something about them letting 9,000 fans into the games at Safeco Field (fuck you, it's Safeco).  The last game I went to a couple seasons ago, an usher told me they'd be lucky to get 3,000 in the seats.  I don't think they need to worry about M's games becoming super spreader events. 

• Like 1

And in somewhat related news. 

The Mariners will keep their immediate reinforcements as close by as humanly possible. On Wednesday, the club announced that it will host its alternate training site at T-Mobile Park this year, making them the only team in the Majors to host its alt site exclusively at its big league ballpark.

Last year, the team used Triple-A Tacoma’s Cheney Stadium, which was originally believed to be the plan again for 2021. But weather played a huge part in the decision, given the regular rain that the Pacific Northwest sees in April and the retractable roof at T-Mobile Park.

By keeping the big leaguers and the alt site players under one roof -- literally -- the Mariners will have a number of logistical hurdles as well. Due to health and safety protocols, alt site players will have to conduct their training, workouts and sim games before the Major Leaguers arrive at the ballpark. The Mariners play 12 of their 28 games in April at home, and three are slated for 1:10 p.m. PT starts.

“They’ll be in there at odd times,” Mariners manager Scott Servais said. “It'll be in the early in the morning if we have a night game, and we have a day game, they could be in there early the evening or something like that. Certainly we go on the road, it's all open up at that point. So it made the most sense, just from logistics and the weather and the facility, everything included, to just have the guys there at T Mobile.”

The alternate sites are back this year due to the postponement of the Triple-A season to May 6, which was announced earlier this month. All Minor League seasons will now begin the first week of May.

Another hurdle specific for Seattle is that alternate sites will be permitted to schedule exhibition games with other clubs. Many of the Southern California teams (Angels, Dodgers, Padres) are in talks to do so. But with Seattle’s distant proximity from the rest of the league -- even if the Mariners opted for Tacoma -- it was always going to be an insurmountable challenge. That’s why the Mariners also considered using their Spring Training facility as their alt site, like many other clubs that train in Arizona. 

“We don't have that luxury, just because you have to stay close enough to the Major League team within driving distance,” Servais said. “We don't have a team close enough up there and Pacific Northwest, so it'll create a few more challenges. But again COVID has created all kinds of challenges for everybody.”

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

That was a nice thing to wake up to.  162-0 pace!

They were down 6-2 in the 8th..  Had a great 8th and ended it up 7-6.

Top of the 9th Reliever (Montero) coughs up an HR on the first hitter he faced.  Tied 7-7.

In the 10th the winning run was walked in.  Crazy fun game.