Shaka Smart - Out at UT In at Marquette

immamac

6 minutes ago, immamac said:

Oh looky there. Quit, not fired. 

I think y'all are debating semantics. He did quit, but he was encouraged to look for another job by CDC and I'm guessing his agent sold him that this was the better career move. If he hadn't quit, he'd still be gone.  I've done this at work many times. Give someone the opportunity to move on without a blemish on their resume. They get to keep their head up, you don't have to pay severance

• Hook 'Em 3

20 minutes ago, immamac said:

Dude he lost to ACU 52-53. Did you watch any of the games? He literally was out coached, out manned and out played. You can donk your way to a winning record in college basketball. He had a losing record in conference play, which you know...actually matters. He was also abhorrent at developing talent and keeping clear talent here. He also sucked keeping assistants who weren't dogshit. He wasn't good, like at all, by any measurable. 

I'm curious. Name these assistants he sucked at keeping from getting head coaching jobs. 

20 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

I think the similarity of Smart and Strong is that they were both widely liked coaches but the time came for both when everyone in the fan base, administration, and media realized they just couldn’t get the job done and had to go. 

That also describes 99% of the coaching tenures in every sport at every school.

22 hours ago, Js1 said:

but I think he wasn't ready to deal with the personality of the big time recruits we get at Texas.

I think this may be a recurring theme with some of the smaller time coaches we hire, in multiple sports.

There seem to be a number of coaches out there that are passingly successful with their "lunchpail," "QB on the field" types that flail when confronted with the big time talents and egos.

I also think some of our big time talents may be a little "extra," because Texas isn't really all that in football or basketball, so they may have some extra expectations over those that pick more blue-blooded or currently blue-blooded programs, like thinking they're going to be at the top of the depth chart no matter what.

Edited by TwiceHorn

1 hour ago, phdhorn said:

There's another guy on the radar who I think would come here in a hearbeat and win.. I'll wait until the tourney is over (they're still in it).  More later if Beard declines.

Are you afraid you'll scuttle the deal if you say anything else?

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, immamac said:

I don't really understand. Shaka was basketball Charlie Strong, but instead of losing to Kansas he lost to ACU which is arguably worse. Then he quit instead of getting fired to salvage whatever remains of his career. 

All this feel good bullshit is just that. Bullshit.

I get it he was a nice guy, but maybe I'm jaded from talking to Derka too much.

I don't see this comparison as all that far off. The problem with Shaka is he hung around for six agonizing years when his limitations were obvious. Consequently, it felt almost as bad as Charlie.

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

That's classy.

I really wish Shaka would have removed his mask before cutting the net.  

As for coaching hires, Texas is taking a "risk" with The Armenian Assassin.  

How much sense would it make to also take a "risk" with the mens basketball coach.  

Better to go for the sure thing, IMO.  I like Musselman.  

We need someone with a history of winning with more than one team.  A proven winner, not a one-team lucky winner.

Edited by ATXbronco
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Duane Moore said:

I think the similarity of Smart and Strong is that they were both widely liked coaches but the time came for both when everyone in the fan base, administration, and media realized they just couldn’t get the job done and had to go. 

it pretty much comes down to this.  while Smart threw up a couple of stinkers and sucked in crunch time, he was in no way as bad as Charles Strong.

at the end of the day I blame that fuck Steve Patterson with a dash of Perrin.

1 hour ago, Herpa Derpa said:

That also describes 99% of the coaching tenures in every sport at every school.

Not really. Tom Herman and John Mackovic would not meet the description of “widely liked” when their tenures ended. Was Bob Weltlich a well-loved figure when he got the axe?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, immamac said:

I guess you are right. That's not true at schools that aren't Texas. At Texas winning shouldn't be hard. It should be the standard. 

This is what is overlooked all the time. Despite tons of natural advantages and deep pockets, providing big salaries, you hear the apologists defending poor results, which is infuriating. Its a business, perform or GTFO.

40 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

Not really. Tom Herman and John Mackovic would not meet the description of “widely liked” when their tenures ended. Was Bob Weltlich a well-loved figure when he got the axe?

Sorry, thought you were speaking of being widely liked when they were hired. Nevertheless, I wouldn't say Charlie was widely liked by the end.

Edited by Herpa Derpa
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kevin O’Shea said:

Did I mention that Shaka is a bad coach and a pussy 

Pussy? Because he left for Marquette which was best for both parties? Guess I don't see it. Other than shitty coaching, I have no issues with the guy. I have a ton of buddies that are Marquette grads and I hope he does well there. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Pussy? Because he left for Marquette which was best for both parties? Guess I don't see it. Other than shitty coaching, I have no issues with the guy. I have a ton of buddies that are Marquette grads and I hope he does well there. 

Idk what pussy is. 

4 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I'm not questioning that he's gone, but texassports.com still hasn't acknowledged it. I figured they would address it with a PR "thank you" letter or something like that. But nah they're silent. 

CDC tweeted 

Texas MBB Twitter tweeted 

LHN tweeted a tribute to his 6 years (he didn’t die....)

19 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Has Texas confirmed Shaka's departure? I haven't seen an official announcement from our athletic dept.

My guess is that you will never hear from him again. The greatest trick Shaka ever pulled was convincing the fanbase that he could coach. And like that...he is gone.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

Here to say thank you Shaka for making the correct decision.  I posted the other day that I thought Shaka could make his life much easier by going ahead and looking for a job.  I didn't quite expect such a quick move, but this was the correct decision.  CDC looks like gold at this point.  Now get somebody really good, who can develop players! The recruiting will mostly take care of itself. 

1 hour ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I'm not questioning that he's gone, but texassports.com still hasn't acknowledged it. I figured they would address it with a PR "thank you" letter or something like that. But nah they're silent. 

texasspports.com? did you get there using an AltaVista search?

in all seriousness though, twitter and IG are the places to go these days when looking for this kind of information. 

• Haha 5

On 3/26/2021 at 1:54 PM, Machinator said:

This isn't football.

Finish in the top half of the Big 12 and make the tournament 80-90% of the time. Play to seed.

Finish in the top 3 of the conference frequently.

Win the conference once (no, the conference tournament doesn't count) every 5-10 years.

Make a deep run in the tounament every 3-4 years.

That'll keep most of the fans at bay.

Agree with everything except the bolded. I think Texas fans do expect to make the tournament every year as a minimum (minus explainable circumstances like multiple injuries). So maybe 98% of the time.

On 3/26/2021 at 7:01 PM, shadow_operative said:

also, i heard that Beard's agent, who i believe is from the same group as Shaka's agent, is demanding that Beard get an extension every time he makes the tourney at Texas. LOL if so. if that's true then he's definitely going t.i. leverage this into an extension at Tech, and isn't seriously considering taking the job at Texas. 

how about bonuses ($K):

league title: 250

league tournament: 250

r64 win: 250

s16 win: 500

e8 win: 750

f4 semi win: 1000

nc: 2500

1 hour ago, Hagbard Celine said:

how about bonuses ($K):

league title: 250

league tournament: 250

r64 win: 250

s16 win: 500

e8 win: 750

f4 semi win: 1000

nc: 2500

Do you think Beard's agent is Master P? Why in the hell would the guy making over $5million per year, with all of the leverage, agree to an incentive-laden contract? If he wants to be paid $8 million, he'll just demand 8. It serves no purpose to agree to 5 million with 3 million in incentives. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TheBryMan81 said:

Agree with everything except the bolded. I think Texas fans do expect to make the tournament every year as a minimum (minus explainable circumstances like multiple injuries). So maybe 98% of the time.

They do, and they would do well to realize that even Duke, UNC, and UK miss the tournament from time to time. 9 out of every 10 years is good.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Blotto said:

giphy.gif

10 hours ago, Hornlover said:

Do you think Beard's agent is Master P? Why in the hell would the guy making over $5million per year, with all of the leverage, agree to an incentive-laden contract? If he wants to be paid $8 million, he'll just demand 8. It serves no purpose to agree to 5 million with 3 million in incentives. 

Yeah, it’s hilarious to see the guys who come in every coaching search and act like they have a brilliant idea to do a bonus-laden contract for proven coaches who can get a ton of guaranteed money elsewhere as if they’ve solved coaching contracts forever. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yeah, it’s hilarious to see the guys who come in every coaching search and act like they have a brilliant idea to do a bonus-laden contract for proven coaches who can get a ton of guaranteed money elsewhere as if they’ve solved coaching contracts forever. 

Hey it worked out for Ricky right? 

Oh wait. 

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

What if - and believe me this is a hypothetical - but what if they were offered some kind of a stock option equity sharing program. Would that do anything for you?

• Like 2
  • Haha 5