Shaka Smart - Out at UT In at Marquette

immamac

1 hour ago, MAUFRAIS said:

What if - and believe me this is a hypothetical - but what if they were offered some kind of a stock option equity sharing program. Would that do anything for you?

I don't know, I guess. Listen, I'm gonna go

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yeah, it’s hilarious to see the guys who come in every coaching search and act like they have a brilliant idea to do a bonus-laden contract for proven coaches who can get a ton of guaranteed money elsewhere as if they’ve solved coaching contracts forever. 

fiscal responsibility will never happen with college coaching contracts because there are far more programs desperate to win than there are good coaches. Good luck trying to sell the incentive model when those hayseeds in College Station are handing out 10 years, $75 mil guaranteed.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, immamac said:

That was one of the most pathetic things I've ever seen in coaching.

almost as pathetic as losing the most important game of your career to a bunch of short, un-athletic, horrible shooters with a team of with experienced guards and NBA draft picks, in a contest that was statistically un-losable.

• Hook 'Em 1

From the Marquette board, in a thread about expectations:

Right now I would settle with just putting a team out there that knows fundamental basketball with a winning attitude.

🤣 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Hooooooooo boy. Should I tell them, or.....?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, CurlyDumps said:

From the Marquette board, in a thread about expectations:

🤣 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Hooooooooo boy. Should I tell them, or.....?

There are some things in life so freakish they can't really be explained. You just have to experience it.

Their fan base won't understand until Shaka has sucked all the joy out of Marquette Basketball with his unique brand of pointless on-the-court entropy. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

On 3/27/2021 at 12:23 PM, Herpa Derpa said:

This. The Shaka era ended better than a number of former coaches, including Kaiser Bob and Leon Black. Kaiser's greatest achievement was a single NIT appearance, ffs.  Shaka wasn't great like Barnes, or even pretty good like Penders or Lemons. But he wasn't the worst.  Charlie was/is/and hopefully forever will be, the worst.

Edit to add that if you think the 53-52 loss was Charlie level, let me help you recalibrate. Charlie never even makes it to that game, and if by some miracle of COVID forfeits he did, he would lose 86-41 to that same ACU school.  Just stop. Shaka was relatively terrible, he wasn't Charlie Strong terrible.

Weltlich's greatest achievement at Texas was recruiting Travis Mays and then bringing Lance Blanks and Joey Wright in as transfers. His second best achievement was coaching those guys on the fundamentals of basketball.

Penders allowed those guys to play in a wide-open system better suited for their skills, but Weltlich brought them in and prepared them.

That is probably the only positive to come from the Weltlich years.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I watched that game last night, and the women put together a grittier, mentally tougher team performance than any Texas men's team in any sport since 2008. 

I stopped flipping back to the USC game after a while. The women's game was way more exciting and interesting.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I watched that game last night, and the women put together a grittier, mentally tougher team performance than any Texas men's team in any sport since 2008. 

Agreed - considering Texas just rolled over for OSU in the Fiesta Bowl in 2009......oh wait.

4 minutes ago, Istian said:

Agreed - considering Texas just rolled over for OSU in the Fiesta Bowl in 2009......oh wait.

I mean, fair.  But Texas was -8 in that Fiesta Bowl, I think. 

Texas was a 12.5 point dog in this one.  Against a team averaging 91 ppg and 99 ppg in the tournament.  And that 2008 Texas football team was pretty damn good;  this 2021 Texas WBB team is barely above average, at best.  

Haven't seen the line for tomorrow's game yet.  Under underdog game, again. 

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I mean, fair.  But Texas was -8 in that Fiesta Bowl, I think. 

Texas was a 12.5 point dog in this one.  Against a team averaging 91 ppg and 99 ppg in the tournament.  And that 2008 Texas football team was pretty damn good;  this 2021 Texas WBB team is barely above average, at best.  

Haven't seen the line for tomorrow's game yet.  Under underdog game, again. 

Yeah I was splitting hairs with it being the 08 season. I watched the game and the team played great. Maryland looked lost in last ~2 min or so. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

Sorry you don't enjoy quality basketball if the players don't have the genitals you prefer

Oh, that's so cute.  I've attended a softball College World Series and a women's volleyball Final Four, so it's not the genitals that matter to me.  

8 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

That’s because Vic actually knows how to coach basketball. I’m no expert but maybe we should use that as one of our requirements for the men’s coach this time around. 

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

something tells me the fine folks from Marquette will be crazy about basketball in an entirely different way in about three years time. 

No chance it takes that long. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, MotownHorn said:

Sorry you don't enjoy quality basketball if the players don't have the genitals you prefer

Is it though?  Do you watch your local high school play bc of your love of “quality” hoops?  If you do- cool. But your local high schools JV would dominate what you saw last night. Which is fine. It is what it is and I watched bc I like watching UT succeed at a high level in pretty much anything. In the same way I’d watch my local high school if I had some vested interest in it. But I wouldn’t mock someone else who didn’t want to watch it or tell them they are missing out on quality basketball. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Is it though?  Do you watch your local high school play bc of your love of “quality” hoops?  If you do- cool. But your local high schools JV would dominate what you saw last night. Which is fine. It is what it is and I watched bc I like watching UT succeed at a high level in pretty much anything. In the same way I’d watch my local high school if I had some vested interest in it. But I wouldn’t mock someone else who didn’t want to watch it or tell them they are missing out on quality basketball. 

You seriously think a men’s high school Jv team would dominate our women’s team?

im sorry but you just don’t know basketball if that’s your argument 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

You seriously think a men’s high school Jv team would dominate our women’s team?

im sorry but you just don’t know basketball if that’s your argument 

Not only do I think it I know it. I’ve played at the rec with those ladies. 
Pat Summit used to take guys from the rec and have #1 Tennessee practice against them and she’d have to have the guys dial it back. Yes- a quality JV team from a 6A school would work them. It’s genetically a completely different game- and that’s ok- just don’t try to twist it into something that doesn’t comport with reality. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 2