Shaka Smart - Out at UT In at Marquette

immamac

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

Big money wants Beard.

Is beard’s resume any better than shaka’s was when we hired him?  That’s a mostly serious question, as I know little about beard other than his one deep tourney run in 2019 that went one game further than Shaka’s one deep tourney run. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Is beard’s resume any better than shaka’s was when we hired him?  That’s a mostly serious question, as I know little about beard other than his one deep tourney run in 2019 that went one game further than Shaka’s one deep tourney run. 

Chris Beard is a damn good coach who plays a brand of basketball that sucks ass to watch, but will win games. I am sure he'll have a lot of success if we hire him, but it'll be frustrating watching the type of game he wants played 30+ times a year instead of just a few.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

He's had two deep tourney runs and won a regular season Big 12 title. He also kicked ass and won regular season championships at his mid-major stops. 

Smart had one magical tournament run (when they shouldn't have even been in the tournament) and never won a regular season title.

• Hook 'Em 6

Just now, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I don't think Beard wants to come to Texas. He's a "basketball" school kinda guy and he's getting paid well at Tech already.  I could see the possible Indiana move, but not Texas.

Except that it's his alma mater....Tends to make a difference quite often.

8 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

He went to an Elite 8 the year prior and was a hair away from actually winning the whole thing. Shaka really had no chance of winning the championship the one time he made a run. 

4 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I don't think Beard wants to come to Texas. He's a "basketball" school kinda guy and he's getting paid well at Tech already.  I could see the possible Indiana move, but not Texas.

Tech isn't a basketball school. He made it that way. Those in Lubbock would drop bball for football if they were successful. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Tech isn't a basketball school. He made it that way. Those in Lubbock would drop bball for football if they were successful. 

Yeah calling a Big 12 school in Texas a "basketball school" is weird.

Tech is still a P5 program in the state of Texas.  Football over everything.  

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Is beard’s resume any better than shaka’s was when we hired him?

he's been coaching in a power 5 conf and one of the top 2 conferences arguably.  

Shaka took over a VCU team(under Grant) that had finished 1st, 1st, 1st, and proceeded to go 5th, 4th, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd.  and the guy after him won the conf the first year.

yes he did have a final four run and a couple of round of 64 wins.

Beard learned under Knight for 8 years.  Shaka learned under Donovan? for a couple.

I think I will take a Knight guy at this point.

21 minutes ago, HookEm said:

I think he will do well there, especially if he gets some good assistants.  I don't harbor any ill will for Shaka, but he had to go.  The Big 12 is a meat grinder filled with elite coaches and he was AT BEST middle of the pack.  The Big East will be much easier sledding.

He ran a clean program, graduated kids, navigated us through Andrew Jones and Covid.  I'll root for him honestly. But we need someone much better.

Very well said.

This guy on the marquette basketball board

He gets it

Did people not watch his Texas teams and still think this is the VCU guy? His Texas teams were all highly ranked recruits that stood around and watched a guy create off the dribble. No ball movement, no synergy, the opposite of exciting. On defense they didn't try to create TO's and they rebounded poorly. Literally exactly what we just fired. I'm perplexed by this "exciting" brand of basketball narrative.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Drool 2

Vic Schaefer was at the top of the list last time a BB hire was needed.

“You always have names,” Del Conte said Monday during a teleconference. “You have a drawer of names that you keep around and talk about. In any kind of a search you have a wish list, you have a coach you can get and you have the ‘Oh my god’ list. And you never want to go to the ‘Oh my god’ list.”

So which name is at the top of CDC's list.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSziYwEWZQ3FfIHIiOTsTZ

Edited by DanTheHorn

• immamac changed the title to Shaka Smart - Out at UT In at Marquette
  • immamac unpinned this topic