Shaka Smart - Out at UT In at Marquette

immamac

3 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Good on Shaka for going out gracefully and not holding the AD hostage like both Herman and Mack did. Resigned with some dignity, landed on his feet, and most importantly, he's not our problem anymore.

Perfect way for it all to unfold. Win win for everyone. Good job CDC and Shaka. Hope he does well at Marquette.

This is the right answer.  A lot of times, being a good guy facilitates these kind of smooth transitions.  Good for Shaka.  I'll root for Marquette and Shaka.

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Our baseball and basketball coaches went out gracefully, IMO.  Barnes had a few hiccups but read the tea leaves and made ready for Tennessee, same with Shaka for Marquette.  Two solid programs, no shame in it.  Saved us money.  Shaka should have probably gotten the hint a couple years ago, but here we are.  Both guys went out as standup guys.  Football though.  What the fuck?  The shit Brown did on his way out disgusted me.  Treated Bill Powers and the Regents and Dodds like punks.  

Also, we were just a few weeks away from a #metoo tidal wave of bad news coming about Tom Herman's drunken inappropriate behavior around a lot of personnel around the stadium.  I don't know if I'm blocking it out, but how was Strong's exit?  I really don't remember.  

9 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Good on Shaka for going out gracefully and not holding the AD hostage like both Herman and Mack did. Resigned with some dignity, landed on his feet, and most importantly, he's not our problem anymore.

Perfect way for it all to unfold. Win win for everyone. Good job CDC and Shaka. Hope he does well at Marquette.

Don't forget about Charlie Strong.

3 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Good for Shaka.  I don't have any hate for this guy and don't understand why anyone would.  He couldn't coach this team very well, but unlike some of our uh, other coaches in other sports, wasn't an egotistical dick.  I really did feel sorry for the guy.  I think he knew he was over his head a bit - he certainly got a lot less out front through the years, but maintained his upbeat nature without sounding too plastic.  Even in this transfer, rather than let UT hang out on its own payoff noose, he did the right thing and sought another job when the plane was near the mountain.

I truly wish him good luck and for the first time in awhile, am really sorry that it didn't work out here.  He's a better guy than what happened here.

Chris Beard would be the best basketball coach, by far, not even close, if he's hired.

That's all I got.

I wanted him to win here pretty bad.  Seems like a great guy, unless I'm missing something behind the scenes.

28 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

David McWilliams only had one or two years of head coaching experience and was mediocre at Tech.   Chris Beard basically already has as many accomplishments as Rick Barnes in 1/4 the number of years and has won big everywhere (and in his case, all of his stops were pretty hard places to win and he turned them around quickly).

Plus, qualitatively, every coach during Tech’s tourney run raved about how his practices were the best they’d ever seen, he’s possibly the best defensive coach in college basketball, and he’s a Bobby Knight disciple.  Their offense hasn’t always been high flying, but I think that’s more about the players they have had.  The stuff they run is decent.  You’ll see the Knight motion mixed in and not just a bunch of guys standing while someone gets a ball screen (the Shaka way, and the way of like half of college basketball).

Plus he did it at Tech.

Just now, TexArcher said:

Yeah, Shaka's a good guy.  He's basketball Charlie Strong.  I wish him well anywhere but here.  Etc.  But I can feel that way and feel all GTFO at the same time.

I don't. I'm not rooting against him but he did a few things off the court that made things difficult for Texas in attempts (knowing or unknowingly) to leverage an advantage.

• Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Shaka needed to go, but I don't  get the ill will?  He's not an ass like Herm.  Good luck to Shaka!!

Eh idk. He reminds me of one of those condescending motivational meatheads. And he lost to fucking Radford and ACU. Only an asshole does that. So fuck him  

• Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Herman held out because who the hell wanted that dipshit?  At least Shaka was a classy guy and other schools obviously feel he might still have something left in him.  Herman burned all the bridges.

13 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

For all the shit I gave him, clear now that CDC had some contingencies teed up in the event Shaka choked against ACU. Convos with Chris Beard's agent probably been going on for months 

I am not sure CDC has proven himself to be out in front of things in anything yet. 

2 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Eh idk. He reminds me of one of those condescending motivational meatheads. And he lost to fucking Radford and ACU. Only an asshole does that. So fuck him  

Opposite for me.  Has more of an arrogant "I was successful in my youth, I'm Shaka bitch" vibe to me.  Seems like a good guy.

4 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

What sort of buyout is Marquette going to have to pay for stealing away Shaka while he's under contract to us?

I'll settle for $50 and a case of Old Milwaukee.  

1 hour ago, Brandywine said:

Unfortunately, thinking the same thing. That situation made me a believer that it's sometimes best not to hire family. If things go down it's hard to get rid of them and you're going to piss off a lot of people no matter what you do. Hopefully that isn't the case if Texas hires Beard. 

its a little different hiring a guy who was ticks away from a NC and also made an elite 8 and hiring a guy who went 7-5 as his only year as a head coach.

it would be like hiring Beard after one 18-11 season and a bounce out in the round of 64.

completely different.

9 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Nah he's by all accounts a good person, just the job was too big for him - not to mention 80% of the time in conference play, it was a huge mismatch in coaching IQ.  No off the court scandals, players liked him personally (not his schemes) but I think he wasn't ready to deal with the personality of the big time recruits we get at Texas.  Not to mention completely going away from his identity. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 4

50 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

If Beard is hired, it just has to work out. Or we have to start wondering about what the fuck is the institutional issue. 

It’s really very simple. The football the program wasn’t cheating the last ten years like Alabama,  Georgia, and now A&M. That is likely changing now.  Combine this with an absolute moron for an AD in Patterson, and it explains everything. Really whoever the idiot was that created a committee to select an AD is the real culprit. 

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Nah he's by all accounts a good person, just the job was too big for him - not to mention 80% of the time in conference play, it was a huge mismatch in coaching IQ.  No off the court scandals, players liked him personally (not his schemes) but I think he wasn't ready to deal with the personality of the big time recruits we get at Texas.  Not to mention completely going away from his identity. 

That last part is what’s most shocking to me. It’d be like being a top pitching prospect that just switches arms once he’s makes the show 

• Rage+1 1

8 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

Was Seth Davis' wife one of Barnes' flings back in the day? 

3 minutes ago, gyroprotagonist said:

I think Ol' Freak Nasty got after her

If Davis is married then she's clearly a "beard" as he's usually deep throating K to be bothering with her. 

• Haha 2

Yeah, Springmann was actually a very underrated recruiter in the Barnes regime.  Seems like he's bouncing around smaller programs lately but he seemed effective while here and was a nice guy when around fans FWIW.  

Also, Springmann named one of his kids, "Durant" in case any loyalty questions come up.  

Edited by Lobo

28 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Good for Shaka.  I don't have any hate for this guy and don't understand why anyone would.  

There shouldn't be hate for Smart, the person.  Seemingly a decent / good guy. 

Just dislike for his coaching ineptitude(s).  Unfortunately hat spilled over to the personal side for some.  

Hope he does well at MU.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, JFKFC said:

You know, I may not have watched a Texas basketball game this season. I may not be able to name anyone on our roster. I may not have the basketball knowledge that all of you guys have. 

I just wanted to make that clear to everyone. 

def Shaka's fault

29 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Our baseball and basketball coaches went out gracefully, IMO.  Barnes had a few hiccups but read the tea leaves and made ready for Tennessee, same with Shaka for Marquette.  Two solid programs, no shame in it.  Saved us money.  Shaka should have probably gotten the hint a couple years ago, but here we are.  Both guys went out as standup guys.  Football though.  What the fuck?  The shit Brown did on his way out disgusted me.  Treated Bill Powers and the Regents and Dodds like punks.  

Also, we were just a few weeks away from a #metoo tidal wave of bad news coming about Tom Herman's drunken inappropriate behavior around a lot of personnel around the stadium.  I don't know if I'm blocking it out, but how was Strong's exit?  I really don't remember.  

Please tell me Buzbee's not involved.

3 hours ago, dcar00 said:

he's been coaching in a power 5 conf and one of the top 2 conferences arguably.  

Shaka took over a VCU team(under Grant) that had finished 1st, 1st, 1st, and proceeded to go 5th, 4th, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd.  and the guy after him won the conf the first year.

yes he did have a final four run and a couple of round of 64 wins.

Beard learned under Knight for 8 years.  Shaka learned under Donovan? for a couple.

I think I will take a Knight guy at this point.

Bob Weltlich was also a Bobby Knight guy...just saying.

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

Yeah, Springmann was actually a very underrated recruiter in the Barnes regime.  Seems like he's bouncing around smaller programs lately but he seemed effective while here and was a nice guy when around fans FWIW.  

If Durant wants him and it gets him more active with the program its a no brainer

• Hook 'Em 2

33 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Good for Shaka.  I don't have any hate for this guy and don't understand why anyone would.  He couldn't coach this team very well, but unlike some of our uh, other coaches in other sports, wasn't an egotistical dick.  I really did feel sorry for the guy.  I think he knew he was over his head a bit - he certainly got a lot less out front through the years, but maintained his upbeat nature without sounding too plastic.  Even in this transfer, rather than let UT hang out on its own payoff noose, he did the right thing and sought another job when the plane was near the mountain.

I truly wish him good luck and for the first time in awhile, am really sorry that it didn't work out here.  He's a better guy than what happened here.

Chris Beard would be the best basketball coach, by far, not even close, if he's hired.

That's all I got.

If he wasn't compensated fairly or had impossible goals/expectations demanded of him, then you shouldn't feel sorry for him. He got an opportunity that very few people will ever have. It just didn't work out. It happens in life.

I appreciate the fact that he realized the truth and didn't try to play the scorned coach role.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

If Durant wants him and it gets him more active with the program its a no brainer

im sure he mentioned it because if it is Royal Ivey, Royal would probably bring him in.  his way to push Royal without being overt about it.

Beard is gonna have his own set of coaches to choose from if it is him.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Brothahorn said:

If he wasn't compensated fairly or had impossible goals/expectations demanded of him, then you shouldn't feel sorry for him. He got an opportunity that very few people will ever have. It just didn't work out. It happens in life.

I appreciate the fact that he realized the truth and didn't try to play the scorned coach role.

going from Texas to Marquette in basketball doesn't mean you are done and you will never get a shot at one of the big guys again.  It's not like failing as the Head Ball Coach at Texas.

39 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Our baseball and basketball coaches went out gracefully, IMO.  Barnes had a few hiccups but read the tea leaves and made ready for Tennessee...

If Barnes had Abe's glass-bottomed car at his disposal he would have ran over, and then backed over Patterson.  And then ran over him again. 

But I'd have been in line to drive that car along with many others. 

• immamac changed the title to Shaka Smart - Out at UT In at Marquette
  • immamac unpinned this topic