Shaka Smart - Out at UT In at Marquette

immamac

also, i heard that Beard's agent, who i believe is from the same group as Shaka's agent, is demanding that Beard get an extension every time he makes the tourney at Texas. LOL if so. if that's true then he's definitely going t.i. leverage this into an extension at Tech, and isn't seriously considering taking the job at Texas. 

53 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

I think that Beard uses this move as a way to get an extension at Tech, with Ivey being my front runner at this point. right now i think it comes down to those two. 

We'll probably get a few coaches a fat raise and an extension before its all said and done.

2 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

The Only reason I’d even think cal could happen is I heard an interview of his once and he said you should only stay at one place for so long.  Not a lifer at any school

Are you talking about Calipari?  Holy fuck man, check out his buyout!  IIRC it's ~$25+.

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

I think that Beard uses this move as a way to get an extension at Tech, with Ivey being my front runner at this point. right now i think it comes down to those two. 

I’m on same page and prefer Ivy at this point.  

1 minute ago, WillUSAF said:

I could be wrong but I thought that I read that we owe him $7m

So its your belief that because Shaka took a job with another university while under contract with UT, we now owe him an additional $7 million?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Can I just ask.....why?

Beard is proven. He seems like the sure thing. He was a student at Texas. 

Ivey played here and...has no head coaching experience.

Understood.  I think Beard is best hire for Texas but think Beard’s contract demands will be excessive because Tech won’t want to lose him to Texas.  However, if that is not the case then hire him by all means but not at any cost.  Yes, Ivy has no experience which is why he won’t get the job but think he can be what everyone thought Shaka would be. Just a gut feeling from watching him play at Texas and his time in the NBA that he will be a very good head coach at Texas.  Also, Shaka is prime example that showed “head coaching experience” is way overrated.

Maybe im missing something, but it’s laughable to think that beard would even sniff the idea of leaving tech for Texas. Kentucky? Yes. Indiana? Probably. Texas? Lol Fuck no. I’d love to be wrong though. I think some are putting way to much stock into the “he went to school here” narrative.

Well, I guess we got a little outside help.  But Shaka, going to a program with a distant Elite Eight appearance, but years without a NCAA tourney win.  I mean, you have to feel sorry for err Marquette being in that sad state of affairs as a program.

I would be very surprised if we get Beard...and now Twitter says so.  I'd still be surprised.

Edited by UTDD

10 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Maybe im missing something, but it’s laughable to think that beard would even sniff the idea of leaving tech for Texas. Kentucky? Yes. Indiana? Probably. Texas? Lol Fuck no. I’d love to be wrong though. I think some are putting way to much stock into the “he went to school here” narrative.

You're missing critical thinking skills. 

Saying he likely won't take the job is one thing. Saying lol fuck no he won't even sniff the idea of leaving Tech for Texas is flat out stupid. 

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

What makes tech more desirable than Texas?  Not sure if you’re a fan of Texas or not.  But I think most people would rather be at Texas over tech

4 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

You're missing critical thinking skills. 

Saying he likely won't take the job is one thing. Saying lol fuck no he won't even sniff the idea of leaving Tech for Texas is flat out stupid. 

If by sniff the idea you mean use as leverage but never truly consider it, then yes. I agree. But Texas isn’t enough of a step up for a coach the caliber of Beard. This ain’t football or baseball. Basketball is 3rd in the pecking order. If Kentucky came calling that’s an easy decision. Beard isn’t leaving tech unless a basketball blue blood came calling. We are not even close to that.

Just now, closetohumping said:

What makes tech more desirable than Texas?  Not sure if you’re a fan of Texas or not.  But I think most people would rather be at Texas over tech

It’s not that it isn’t more desirable. He’s better than that. He’s blue blood caliber. Why would he leave tech unless a blue blood came calling. He knows that’s coming eventually. Texas isn’t enough of a step up for him to leave a program that he’s already built. He has more job security right now than just about any coach in the country. He ain’t leaving unless a school that you just flat out can’t say no to opens up. He will be the first coach every a blue blood calls when a spot opens up.

4 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

It’s not that it isn’t more desirable. He’s better than that. He’s blue blood caliber. Why would he leave tech unless a blue blood came calling. He knows that’s coming eventually. Texas isn’t enough of a step up for him to leave a program that he’s already built. He has more job security right now than just about any coach in the country. He ain’t leaving unless a school that you just flat out can’t say no to opens up. He will be the first coach every a blue blood calls when a spot opens up.

Maybe because it’s Texas tech he would be leaving?  We’re not a blue blood but like some have said it’s a job with a lot of resources and low pressure.  Fertile recruiting background and again you’re not in Lubbock.   Want job security?  We kept a guy for 6 years who never won an ncaa game, had a sub 500 conference record and never won the conference outright.  Not exactly blue blood level standards.   But hey, Texas tech. Let’s aim lower.   Can we get the Kansas st coach?

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Can I just ask.....why?

Beard is proven. He seems like the sure thing. He was a student at Texas. 

Ivey played here and...has no head coaching experience.

One thing about Beard coming here is that he might have to change his philosophy re: recruiting vs transfers. even with our football team you see guys transferring in from Rice, Michigan, UCLA, etc. our school cares more about academics than TTU, and prides itself on getting as many athletes as possible on the honor roll/academic all-big xii. beyond that, i don't think the transfer route would be sustainable here, so i could see that as a question mark for Beard, whereas recruiting well for Ivey seems like a given considering what all we know about his connections and support. and that's the other thing- the amount of support and backing that Royal would have here is beyond what Beard will have. These are some reasons that someone might prefer Ivey. 

8 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Maybe because it’s Texas tech he would be leaving?  We’re not a blue blood but like some have said it’s a job with a lot of resources and low pressure.  Fertile recruiting background and again you’re not in Lubbock.   Want job security?  We kept a guy for 6 years who never won an ncaa game, had a sub 500 conference record and never won the conference outright.  Not exactly blue blood level standards.   But hey, Texas tech. Let’s aim lower.   Can we get the Kansas st coach?

Just looking for realistic expectations, man. I felt like saban leaving Bama to come to Texas was more realistic than Beard leaving tech to come to Texas, and the saban rumor was also absurd. Beard will get a much better job, if not this year, next year. He’ll be the coach at Kentucky before he considers a job like Texas IMO. But again, that’s just my opinion. I’d love to be wrong. Basketball is 3rd in the pecking order as far as sports go at this university. He’s better than that.

Edited by youdunnf'dup

55 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

Understood.  I think Beard is best hire for Texas but think Beard’s contract demands will be excessive because Tech won’t want to lose him to Texas.  

Yeah, there's no way that the University of Texas can win a bidding war against Texas Tech.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Brandywine said:

I know Texas can afford whoever, but is he worth that much? Which maybe on the low end of what he’s asking. 

Our athletic department buys $500 couch pillows by the truckload and you want to get chintzy on coaches' salaries?

15 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Just looking for realistic expectations, man. I felt like saban leaving Bama to come to Texas was more realistic than Beard leaving tech to come to Texas, and the saban rumor was also absurd. Beard will get a much better job, if not this year, next year. He’ll be the coach at Kentucky before he considers a job like Texas IMO. But again, that’s just my opinion. I’d love to be wrong. Basketball is 3rd in the pecking order as far as sports go at this university. He’s better than that.

You have guys like Tom hicks saying saban was there.  Hell I think even finebaum owned it.  But until it’s signed it’s never a done deal.  But the day that we have to ask ourselves “why would he leave Texas tech for a place like Texas” were in trouble.  Money, prestige and notoriety isn’t a factor for everyone as I think we got our 8th option in baseball and we are certainly a blue blood in that sport.  And again anything can happen.  moser chose to turn down a 3x raise from St. John’s to stay at Loyola.  But, I hope why would he ever leave tech for Austin never pops in our mind 

and remember, Shaka turned UCLA, talking about blue blood and ncsu down before taking our job.    It’s a great job in a town better than Lubbock 

Edited by closetohumping

22 minutes ago, Steel Shank said:

I think Beard stays in Lubbock. You people underestimate how people think.

This, except I think you mean "overestimate."

Beard doesn't give a shit that Austin is more scenic than Lubbock, or that it has better restaurants and hiking trails.  

These guys don't have hobbies, or any lives outside of their jobs for that matter.  Quality of life is nothing but "Can I win a championship there?"

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

• immamac changed the title to Shaka Smart - Out at UT In at Marquette
  • immamac unpinned this topic